Season 7, Episode 1 "Dragonstone" Discussion Thread

That was Catelyn's brother. He's a Tully not a Stark.

Ah. Sorry, been a while since I had watched The Red Wedding episode. Some of the details are a bit fuzzy. So he's related to the Starks by marriage. But still closely enough to surrender the castle to Jaime Lannister.

Did Jaime let him go after that? Or was he just locked up again? Because whether a Tully or a Stark, he is still heir to the castle and lands of Walder Frey (at least I would think so).

Spoilers and set pics have already revealed what and who his gift is. Its not the dragon horn.

Was that necessary? This isn't a spoiler thread. Let people have fun with their theories before the episodes actually air.

I'm sure if she'd left Shireen behind there'd have been someone left with her.

Anyway, fantastic premiere. I enjoyed every scene, even the Ed Sheeran one that everyone can't stop whining about. I hope Arya doesn't kill those soldiers; they're so sweet and innocent.

The only things about the episode I didn't really like were the Sam work montage that went on forever and Euron's clothing. They didn't belong in Westeros at all. Euron as a character, however, was much improved over last year.

What was the main issue with Sheeran?

And those soldiers were quite purposefully made to look sweet, innocent and friendly to a stranger compared to most other grizzled soldiers we've seen in the series. Either Arya sees something positive in them or kills them anyway to show us how far she's gone now.

Was that necessary? This isn't a spoiler thread. Let people have fun with their theories before the episodes actually air.

I didnt tell you what it was so I didnt spoil it.

The gift also isnt Lady Stoneheart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, aside from needlessly crushing that guy's theory just so you could get the thrill of correcting him that you seem to endlessly crave... your post told me that the gift is a [blackout]person[/blackout], and you told me what it's not. When people throw out theories about shows, the guy who shows up and says "no, that's totally wrong, I've read the spoilers and that doesn't happen"... nobody likes that guy.

Yeah it's poor form. I'm ambivalent about a lot of this show, especially in light of some of these spoilers, but I'm not going to actively try and ruin the experience for others.

At the very least, spoiler tags should be in place.

Ah. Sorry, been a while since I had watched The Red Wedding episode. Some of the details are a bit fuzzy. So he's related to the Starks by marriage. But still closely enough to surrender the castle to Jaime Lannister.

Did Jaime let him go after that? Or was he just locked up again? Because whether a Tully or a Stark, he is still heir to the castle and lands of Walder Frey (at least I would think so).

The castle is Riverrun which rightfully belongs to the Tullys. The Tullys have no love for Jon Snow as far as I know. (I'm going by what the Blackfish said in the books).

Let's put ANY posts discussing the leaked spoilers into spoiler tags, please.

tumblr_ot7t76y5181ruwssto1_250.gif
tumblr_ot7t76y5181ruwssto2_250.gif

What was the main issue with Sheeran?

And those soldiers were quite purposefully made to look sweet, innocent and friendly to a stranger compared to most other grizzled soldiers we've seen in the series. Either Arya sees something positive in them or kills them anyway to show us how far she's gone now.

Sheeran is apparently a pop star and people complained that his presence took them completely out of the scene.

Spoilers and set pics have already revealed what and who his gift is. Its not the dragon horn.

Oh, you misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting Euron's gift would be
Dragonbinder or the dragon horn. I was suggesting he may already have this, and the gift he plans on giving Cersei was one of Dany's dragons via using the horn.

That being said, I did out about the other "reptiles," so to speak, being brought back. :cwink:

Sheeran is apparently a pop star and people complained that his presence took them completely out of the scene.
Oh right. He looked like any other soldier to me, which is a good thing. He doesn't really have an overbearing presence or aura (doesn't have much of one at all IMO lol) which stopped his fame from being an issue here for me. I was hoping Arya would attack him though.

Enjoyed the episode more than I thought I would.

The Lannister soldiers were nice enough, but I'm not sure what the point of that detour was. Yeah, not all westerlanders are bad, but I would have thought most were aware of that. Or maybe it was that Lannisters are spread too thin so they've got FNGs occupying the riverlands.

Jamie talking about the defeat of Ironborn in the Greyjoy rebellion, yet no credit for Stannis, color me surprised. Which reminds me, why the hell wouldn't Sam believe him about there being obsidian in Dragonstone? Even in death, he gets no respect.

On the topic of dragonglass, they seem to be emphasizing it. Fire has always worked on wights, which is the major problem. There's still the white walkers, true, but we've only ever seen 20 of them or so.

Davos was surprisingly silent.

The discussion of the Umber and Karstark houses' fates is a bit of 'meh' for me, but some discussions about it that I've seen annoy me.

I did like that Jon wants womenfolk to train, though, I cannot wait to see a northern middle-aged auntie messing up a bunch of wights.

I think the assumption is if they kill all the White Walkers, there'd be no one controlling the wights and they'd just "die".

So how many thought when Euron tells Cersei he won't return for her hand in marriage until he brings her back a gift
"So that's how they're bringing in the dragon horn?"

Yeah, that should really be in spoiler caps.

The gift also isnt Lady Stoneheart.

Well, aside from needlessly crushing that guy's theory just so you could get the thrill of correcting him that you seem to endlessly crave... your post told me that the gift is a [blackout]person[/blackout], and you told me what it's not. When people throw out theories about shows, the guy who shows up and says "no, that's totally wrong, I've read the spoilers and that doesn't happen"... nobody likes that guy.

Yeah it's poor form. I'm ambivalent about a lot of this show, especially in light of some of these spoilers, but I'm not going to actively try and ruin the experience for others.

At the very least, spoiler tags should be in place.

tumblr_m7ldblL3731qe2obpo2_250.gif

Reek, what's the name of your blog? If you don't mind me asking.

I don't know his ASOIAF blog because I'm so generally versed in the material and am in contact with him on a daily basis that I don't really need to look at blogs, but I know he does have this blog as well.

The ratings were something else.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/game-of-thrones-ratings-season-7-return-hbo-1202130304/

Winter may be here for the penultimate season of Game Of Thrones, but HBO’s blockbuster series turned on the heat to shatter viewership records with last night’s Season 7 debut. Leaving the previous series high of 8.89 million snared for its Season 6 finale in June 2016, last night’s “Dragonstone” episode snagged 10.1 million viewers for its premiere. Telling of how TV is consumed today, the opener pulled in another 6 million viewers on same-day DVR playback and streaming via HBO Go and HBO Now.

Jeez, it just grows so much every year. Unreal.
I don't think I have ever seen a show grow so deep into its run. And as you said, it isn't small growth. Wonder if the finale can break 11m this year.

The longer than usual hiatus between seasons probably helped as well. The audience was hungry.

It's almost... like this is some kind of popular global phenomenon or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"