Season 7, Episode 1 "Dragonstone" Discussion Thread

I think have zero people in Dragonstone was really unrealistic. Selyse wanted to leave Shireen there originally, who was she going to leave her with? There should still be servants, wives of soldiers, etc of people still living there.

But D&D hate Stannis so why be reminded of anything related to him?

Westeros did seem pretty aware that the Dragon Queen and her army was coming, so if Dragonstone was left without soldiers, I could see the common people that were left behind running away fast once the fleet was confirmed to be headed there.

I really liked the premiere. This is how a season stars.

This Euron was far more enjoyable than last year.

Both Arya's scenes were excellent, with the massacre at the Twins and her talk with the "more humane" Lannister soldiers( also I don't understand the hate Ed Sheeran is receiving here).

Loved Dragonstone's scene. Visually spectacular.

The Northern scenes were great (Giant Walkers!!!!). Glad to see Edd back.

I loved Sansa and Jon's bickering. They were both right but I will give my vote to Jon because he was right about Sansa undermining him in front of the Lords.

I enjoyed Sam's scenes (pretty much more screentime than last year lol).
Also Profesor Slughorn!!!!!

was that Nymeria on next episode promo? My bet is Arya tries to kill the lannister soldiers and she's aided by Nymeria?
Maybe she eats Ed Sheeran ????????????

Sorry for my awful English
Yes I'm relieved on Euron. It would have been a big drag if he hadn't improved given that he's going to be the main late stage Greyjoy from the books that they're going with.

The Arya scene was a great way to start the show.

Dragonstone looked amazing, surprising that we haven't seen this view of it before.

How the hell is anyone going to take down a White Walker giant?!

I loved that public bickering too, and it's good that Sansa has a strong and justified opinion to offer after all her experiences.

Will be interesting to see how Sam's stuff develops, especially whatever is behind that locked gate.

Your English is totally fine. :yay:

Westeros did seem pretty aware that the Dragon Queen and her army was coming, so if Dragonstone was left without soldiers, I could see the common people that were left behind running away fast once the fleet was confirmed to be headed there.

yeah I mean if you knew a hostile Queen was coming your way with 3 dragons, the Unsullied, and a fleet of ships, and your army was just completely wiped out a thousand miles away, you'd get the hell out of Dodge too.

yeah I mean if you knew a hostile Queen was coming your way with 3 dragons, the Unsullied, and a fleet of ships, and your army was just completely wiped out a thousand miles away, you'd get the hell out of Dodge too.

I'd have to agree with this also, especially since Stannis probably grabbed most of the fit fighting men for his army when he left. Probably mostly old folks and women left behind.

The episode was okay. First and last scenes were excellent. Euron's portrayal wasn't as insufferable as the previous season.

Yeah why didn't they stick around just to get murdered or imprisoned by Dany...

She wouldn't have killed servants outright. She would have given them the choice to join her or GTFO.

My friend and I joked that there should have been some homeless drunk vagrant just chillin' on the throne when Dany walked in. Or Gendry. :o

She wouldn't have, but they don't know that.

Her image is probably that of a ruthless conqueror rather than the compassionate side we see, to folks like that. Plus it's probably not worth taking the risk to find out in case she turns out to be a Joffrey or Ramsay type ruler when she arrives.

Especially since her dad has this nasty habit of burning people alive and laughing psychotically at their screams of agony.

Also she has an army of horsemen that are known to be fond of the whole "raping and pillaging" thing backing her as well.

I've never been thrilled with the "catch all" type storytelling, and I felt it was even more detrimental here. Bran's story in particular suffers.

Hopefully this was just a case of an episode that was necessary in terms of reintroducing the characters and where they're at, and the remaining episodes will be more purposeful and intelligently interwoven.

Especially since her dad has this nasty habit of burning people alive and laughing psychotically at their screams of agony.

Also she has an army of horsemen that are known to be fond of the whole "raping and pillaging" thing backing her as well.

Yep haha. When you put it like that...:woot:

I've never been thrilled with the "catch all" type storytelling, and I felt it was even more detrimental here. Bran's story in particular suffers.

Hopefully this was just a case of an episode that was necessary in terms of reintroducing the characters and where they're at, and the remaining episodes will be more purposeful and intelligently interwoven.

It's not really storytelling at this point for some of the characters like Bran. It is just simply an introduction so we know where he (and everyone else) is at this point in time and in relation to each other. Like resetting a chessboard mid-match after the cleaners have been at it overnight. I'd expect more focused scenes right from the second episode.

I think have zero people in Dragonstone was really unrealistic. Selyse wanted to leave Shireen there originally, who was she going to leave her with? There should still be servants, wives of soldiers, etc of people still living there.

But D&D hate Stannis so why be reminded of anything related to him?

I'm sure if she'd left Shireen behind there'd have been someone left with her.

Anyway, fantastic premiere. I enjoyed every scene, even the Ed Sheeran one that everyone can't stop whining about. I hope Arya doesn't kill those soldiers; they're so sweet and innocent.

The only things about the episode I didn't really like were the Sam work montage that went on forever and Euron's clothing. They didn't belong in Westeros at all. Euron as a character, however, was much improved over last year.

I hope Arya doesn't kill those soldiers; they're so sweet and innocent.

I think that's the whole point, she needed to see that just because people are allied with the Lannisters, they aren't necessarily evil. They're just soldiers with no alterior motives other than having to fight in someone else's war. It's important that Arya realizes this so she doesn't become a mindless killing machine.

ned-joke.gif

Its also good for the viewers to be reminded that the Lannister soldiers are mostly ordinary people. Not evil Cersei types.

Well, so much for that. I was hoping this season would be an improvement but it’s just more of the same. Benioff and Weiss truly are awful writers without the source material to copy from. None of the dialogue in this episode was good; there was a poetry to GRRM’s work that has been lost. That Sam montage was laughably bad & the opening was predictable, too. And I can’t believe people couldn’t see that Sansa would turn on Jon (or at the very least make trouble with him).

The rest of the season isn’t looking good. If they had at least kept the quality of last season’s finale it might’ve been tolerable. GoT is no longer the show it once was, at this point it’s little better than daytime soaps. I’m only sticking with it because of the time and money I’ve already sunk into the show. I suppose I also want to see how it ends, even though B&W will most likely butcher it.

In the books Stannis left behind a full garrison of men at Dragonstone when he went North, something like a couple hundred men to serve as a skeleton crew to hold the castle in his name from Lannister forces. He did the same thing at Storm's End, which also will likely be empty on the show.

But it's not so surprising. They never enjoyed having to use Stannis back when he was alive, I can't imagine that they'd go out of their way to address anything now that he's dead.

I think that's the whole point, she needed to see that just because people are allied with the Lannisters, they aren't necessarily evil. They're just soldiers with no alterior motives other than having to fight in someone else's war. It's important that Arya realizes this so she doesn't become a mindless killing machine.

Her sparing Walder Frey's wife and servants is another example of this.

So how many thought when Euron tells Cersei he won't return for her hand in marriage until he brings her back a gift
"So that's how they're bringing in the dragon horn?"

Her sparing Walder Frey's wife and servants is another example of this.

Here's a question. If I recall correctly, the Stark cousin who married Walder Frey's daughter in Rob Stark's place at The Red Wedding is still alive (he wa used to get a former Stark castle to surrender to the Lannisters last season). With Walder Frey and all of his male kin dead, does that make the Stark Cousin (I forget his name, sorry) the new Lord of Walder Frey's castle, lands, and people? After all, he is technically Lord Frey's son-in-law and thus his heir.

Or was the Stark Cousin re-imprisoned after he surrendered the castle to Jaime Lannister? Or ev executed? I don't recall his exact fate. But if he's still alive, he could technically take over Lord Frey's lands and armies and be a powerful new(ish) ally for Jon Sno.

So how many thought when Euron tells Cersei he won't return for her hand in marriage until he brings her back a gift

I did. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

It would be pretty cool to show the viewers that the dragons aren't eternally bound to Dany. Maybe Euron will turn Rhaegal or Viseryon and impress Cersei that way.

Here's a question. If I recall correctly, the Stark cousin who married Walder Frey's daughter in Rob Stark's place at The Red Wedding is still alive (he wa used to get a former Stark castle to surrender to the Lannisters last season). With Walder Frey and all of his male kin dead, does that make the Stark Cousin (I forget his name, sorry) the new Lord of Walder Frey's castle, lands, and people? After all, he is technically Lord Frey's son-in-law and thus his heir.

Or was the Stark Cousin re-imprisoned after he surrendered the castle to Jaime Lannister? Or ev executed? I don't recall his exact fate. But if he's still alive, he could technically take over Lord Frey's lands and armies and be a powerful new(ish) ally for Jon Sno.

That was Catelyn's brother. He's a Tully not a Stark.

Spoilers and set pics have already revealed what and who his gift is. Its not the dragon horn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"