Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings General Discussion and Speculation thread

I'm pretty much convinced that All Hail the King exists solely as a peace offering for those who didn't like Iron Man 3. It wasn't intended to set up any future stories.

That's not to say that the Mandarin isn't a bad idea. It's certainly better than Fu Manchu and might have some built in weight that a completely original character wouldn't have (although the Mandarin has many of the same yellow peril issues). But I wouldn't use All Hail the King as evidence of future plans.

I completely agree that AHTK was a nerd pacifier at the time of its release. But with Fu Manchu unavailable - Marvel doesnt hold the rights - The Mandarin is an excellent fit for MCU Asian crime lord. And with the majority of the cast of Asian descent, the concern about yellow peril stereotyping should be minimal.

After watching Endgame, I can see how they could tie his duplication powers to events from that film if they were to give him those powers, which I hope they do because this character really needs to feel like a superhero IMO. There are plenty of MCU characters that are simply skilled fighters.

I just want to actually see a protagonist who is a "master" of martial arts and well versed in Eastern philosophy to, ya know, act like it this time around.

I will take credit for bringing this up here as an idea first :o

He was great even with a limited role in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

I completely forgot he was Asian Magneto! Yeah, he really stood out on AOS. And with the show officially out of continuity with the Cinematic MCU, his casting won't create any issues!

I completely forgot he was Asian Magneto! Yeah, he really stood out on AOS. And with the show officially out of continuity with the Cinematic MCU, his casting won't create any issues!

In that case they could get Ming-Na Wen in the cast. Maybe as Shang Chi's mom.

Where is it official that it's out of continuity?

Where is it official that it's out of continuity?

They've ignored the snap. The EPs are saying the the events of Season 6 are happening pre-snap, but that doesn't make any sense.
Last year's finale happened concurrently with Infinity War and the Season 6 premiere takes place a year later.

My thinking is that AOS occurs in an alternate universe in which Coulson lives and Thor went for the head.

'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' bosses answer burning season 6 premiere questions

They've ignored the snap. The EPs are saying the the events of Season 6 are happening pre-snap, but that doesn't make any sense.
Last year's finale happened concurrently with Infinity War and the Season 6 premiere takes place a year later.

My thinking is that AOS occurs in an alternate universe in which Coulson lives and Thor went for the head.

'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' bosses answer burning season 6 premiere questions

OK thanks, I've been out of it in regards to AoS. I'm thinking I'll just treat seasons 1-5 as part of the MCU and ignore 6 and 7.

I wouldn't say "officially" out of continuity, but maybe "moving away from continuity"? I'll wait until the season is over, but I'm happy with Seasons One through Five in continuity and the last two in an alternate timeline due to certain events.

Its been "moving away" from continuity for years. Pretty much from season 3 on, when they decided they wanted to do plots which create compatibility problems with the world portrayed in the movies.

Season three created the biggest tension with the movies but it came out of their desire to build off something from the movies (with the Sakovia Accords). Oddly enough, I've always felt that Ant-Man fit in the best with Agents of SHIELD (having Hydra in the first movie and all that) and Ant-Man and the Wasp interpreted the Accords in a fairly similar way (the biggest difference is Agents of SHIELD introduced a big deal population subgroup that has to register, which arguably should have come up).

But we're getting pretty far afield at this point from the topic of this thread.

‪EXCLUSIVE: First Character Details For Marvel Studios Movie Shooting In Australia-Is The Mandarin Or Namor On The Way?‬

Exclusive: With Marvel Studios set to begin production on a new movie this fall in Australia, casting is already gearing up.

The first character we learned of is a “wise, old statesman,” who is “the leader of his people.” The studio is searching for an Asian actor between the ages of 40 & 60.

The second character is “one of the leader’s most skilled warriors.” The studio is searching for a female Asian actress, in her 30s or 40s.

Now while we don’t know exactly which movie these breakdowns are for, our best guess is ‘Black Panther 2’ or ‘Shang-Chi.’

‘Black Panther 2′ best fits the profile of the Australia movie, as the trades have said production would begin at the end of this year/early next year. Not only that, they don’t need to cast lead characters, which explains why there’s only two on the breakdown.

If these breakdowns are for ‘Black Panther 2’ then it’s possible the first character is Namor. Thanks to an ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter egg, Namor is set up. With an offhand comment made by Okoye, there are underwater earthquakes off the coast of Wakanda in 2023. In this scenario, the female warrior could be Namor’s cousin, Namora, or Andromeda, an Atlantean who later became a member of the Defenders in the comics.

‘Shang-Chi’ is also possible, as there are rumors that it could be fast-tracked, and that it would film sometime after ‘The Eternals.’

The first breakdown could be for The Mandarin, a character who Kevin Feige recently revealed he has plans for. The female warrior could be one of his generals, or one of the members of the 10 Rings, the villainous group The Mandarin leads.

Random choice really but maybe a good way to get Alf Stewart into the mcu?

It’s interesting they’re skewing much older than I thought for the woman character. Shang chi’s mum?

Last edited:
https://hnentertainment.co/marvels-...-could-it-begin-filming-sooner-than-expected/

It’s starting to look like that Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi movie directed by Destin Daniel Cretton (Short Term 12, Just Mercy) and written by Dave Callaham (The Expendables, Wonder Woman 84, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 2) might be happening sooner than we previously expected.

DiscussingFilm posted a new tweet that may have revealed the first bit of production crew information for the new Asian superhero franchise which would see Colossal production designer Sue Chan attached to work on the film.

Can’t wait to see what sue comes up with

A Spider-Verse writer is an intriguing choice there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"