• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

"The movie will be profitable if..."

Means nothing today. The movie isn't finished yet and we don't know what's the production budget.

Yeah same, as you said before it’s just too busy.
Yup. I was really hoping for less lines this time. It looks like we get even more lines than the mos suit had.
Yeah. Like I personally feel like it will need something close to $600mil worldwide to be seen as a success, but that’s just a shot in the dark. We have no idea the numbers WB is targeting because we don’t have all the info they do. I just know it needs to be well-received regardless. If it’s as poorly-received as Supes’ other cinematic outings of the last couple decades, forget about it.
Yup. SR made more than BB, but one went on to have one of the most successful trilogies ever, and one died with a whimper.

It's not really fair but WB AND Gunn have to earn back the fans and publics trust.
Gone are the days of having an automatic success because its called Superman.

First and foremost, it HAS to be a good film. Nothing else matters, not the title, not the actors, and not the 'plosions or action.

This is also not fair, but I doubt it even has a phenomenal opening weekend because of the DCEU's recent failures.
I'm pretty sure most of the public doesn't even realizes, or cares, that it's a brand new take and now called the DCU and not the DCEU, but if superman is good, it will have legs and stick around.

It's not really fair but WB AND Gunn have to earn back the fans and publics trust.
Gone are the days of having an automatic success because its called Superman.

First and foremost, it HAS to be a good film. Nothing else matters, not the title, not the actors, and not the 'plosions or action.

This is also not fair, but I doubt it even has a phenomenal opening weekend because of the DCEU's recent failures.
I'm pretty sure most of the public doesn't even realizes, or cares, that it's a brand new take and now called the DCU and not the DCEU, but if superman is good, it will have legs and stick around.
For all intents and purposes, the DCEU never really managed to stand out as a distinct brand to begin with. Casual viewers simply lump all comic book films together under the Marvel umbrella and even use the terms interchangeably nowadays.

In that sense, it's not the DC brand that's been damaged; rather, it's just certain characters as they've been depicted under previous regimes. That's basically why Cavill and Gadot, among others, had to get the boot. Laypeople may not understand the various distinctions between Marvel, Sony and DC, but they can still connect a bad movie experience to an actor's face or what have you.

Critics, on the other hand, are another ball of wax entirely. They often know the score as well as we do and will likely be more difficult to win over, but Gunn's involvement with the reboot could certainly help there. All we can do for now is wait and see.

General audiences are weird so it’s hard to predict the box office for Superman. The good news is that the picture reveal of the suit was trending number 1 around the world, so Superman is on young people’s radar.. I finally watched Top Gunn Maverick. It was ok but I was shocked it was the top Movie in 2022. Clark and Lois are American actors so that should help out with conservatives in America. If it’s a good movie it should make money.

I do like the casting, but it does worry me somewhat that there are no major names attached to this movie. That might add to the struggle of being a huge hit, but if it is most of the cast will probably be A listers after it comes out. Hoult is probably the biggest "name", and he isn't that big a name, though he does have a track history of some very good films. My hope is $650 million, good enough to move forward. David should get a shot of hosting SNL in the run up, since he has that kind of work in his background, but Rachel would probably get the gig.

I agree David was a mistake and we should have gotten Glen Powell. :o

NO

Powell's Superman would probably have been lacking, but his Clark Kent might have been interesting.

Happy with David, but I thought Tyler was a bad choice at the time, and Henry was a good one, at the time. So, my track record ain't great

I do like the casting, but it does worry me somewhat that there are no major names attached to this movie. That might add to the struggle of being a huge hit, but if it is most of the cast will probably be A listers after it comes out. Hoult is probably the biggest "name", and he isn't that big a name, though he does have a track history of some very good films. My hope is $650 million, good enough to move forward. David should get a shot of hosting SNL in the run up, since he has that kind of work in his background, but Rachel would probably get the gig.
I think the lack of "big names" aspect of Superman is overblown. There's only so many Tom Cruise's running around Hollywood nowadays. Audience's use to follow actors and their brand from film to film. Not the case anymore. This can go either way. Hollywood seems to be rebuilding their structure at the same time the DCU is sliding under the radar.

It basically all comes down to marketing, trailers, and catching the right happenstance to atleast get the general audience interested enough. Landing it is the hardest part and casuals follow the hype. CBM fans will constantly be in a Civil War, but it's the studios job to sell tickets. Superman has a stellar cast. The assemble can act. It's just the matter if Gunn can hit the right nerves and make the casual or your Uncle's and Aunt's wanting to see more. Making movies and franchise's are hard. You can do everything right and things still might not pan out. For Superman's sake, let's hope JG can make a good film. It's all he can do. We'll then see if WB's leadership did in fact change givin any reaction to the outcome. There's a lot of unknowns.

Last edited:
We all know if it makes less than MoS that is not a good thing for a variety of reasons

We all know if it makes less than MoS that is not a good thing for a variety of reasons
It's just a different landscape now. Superman needs to be a new standard for DC and not the weight of a post Avengers/TDKTrilogy world where expectations were nearing bone crunching feats. MoS adjusted to inflation in 2024 amounts to about $893 mil/BO dollars, so that is a lofty number to hit, all things considered. Superman has the benefit of a CBM reset where even the MCU is at its lowest point, so there's more wiggle room in theory, but at the same time, the doube edged sword of yet another reboot kicking off yet another potential blockbuster franchise. I think what matters the most this time around is for DC to not be knee jerk either way and allow the original vision to play out with tempered expectations and let things happen organically instead of reactionary. It's going to be an interesting thing to follow and see how the studio manages it.

A good movie will sell, but in many ways I think Corenswet and Rachel are the linch pin. A good movie will bring in an audience, but if they sell their characters, it will only help, to a great degree.

Not to put any pressure on David, but he is probably the key, not only the namesake, but the star. Unlike so many other Supermen actors of recent times, he actually is a trained actor and does have talent. His Clark intrigues me, because he might be a mix of Reeve, Cain and Tyler, somewhat reserved, some what dorky, and incredibly charming, we have seen him do it before, in other roles. I also think he has a respect for Superman lacking in Welling and others, that we can expect something special. I am not worried that David is not a major star as of today, this movie should, and probably will change that. I think he may give us two interesting, diverse characters, in one man.

It's just a different landscape now. Superman needs to be a new standard for DC and not the weight of a post Avengers/TDKTrilogy world where expectations were nearing bone crunching feats. MoS adjusted to inflation in 2024 amounts to about $893 mil/BO dollars, so that is a lofty number to hit, all things considered. Superman has the benefit of a CBM reset where even the MCU is at its lowest point, so there's more wiggle room in theory, but at the same time, the doube edged sword of yet another reboot kicking off yet another potential blockbuster franchise. I think what matters the most this time around is for DC to not be knee jerk either way and allow the original vision to play out with tempered expectations and let things happen organically instead of reactionary. It's going to be an interesting thing to follow and see how the studio manages it.
No one said anything about adjusted for inflation. It needs to do better than its numbers in general. We arent in a world where superheroes cant make above $500mill.

The Batman made above $700.
Black Panther 2 made above $700
GotG 3 made above $700.

SR made below $400.

$500 is embarrassing for a new Superman reboot.

No one said anything about adjusted for inflation. It needs to do better than its numbers in general. We arent in a world where superheroes cant make above $500mill.

The Batman made above $700.
Black Panther 2 made above $700
GotG 3 made above $700.

SR made below $400.

$500 is embarrassing for a new Superman reboot.
Literally no one expects Superman to make as much as Batman lol. As I've said, I expect $600 million to be their worldwide target, and that would ABSOLUTELY be a significant success considering the state of DC and the string of massive failures that have paved the way for this. But $500mil would not actually be "embarrassing" either. This movie has a HUGE uphill climb ahead of it. DC is essentially in as low a place now as it was before Batman Begins came out. If this movie's profitable and well-received, it's a win, period.

Literally no one expects Superman to make as much as Batman lol. As I've said, I expect $600 million to be their worldwide target, and that would ABSOLUTELY be a significant success considering the state of DC and the string of massive failures that have paved the way for this. But $500mil would not actually be "embarrassing" either. This movie has a HUGE uphill climb ahead of it. DC is essentially in as low a place now as it was before Batman Begins came out. If this movie's profitable and well-received, it's a win, period.
I agree, obviously the movie has to be profitable but I think they will be looking at the reviews and the weekend to weekend drop. If this movie has legs that's a good sign that it's being well received. The brand is damaged, no doubt.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at The Batman as the comparison. That movie came out when the justice league debacle was still fresh, Ben Affleck was still batman, covid lockdowns were still a thing and Jason Kilar single handily destroyed any hope of box office legs with the streaming release 45 days after it's premiere.

I would say the benefit Superman has is that the character still hasn't gotten a well received movie by critics and audiences. I like MOS but it didn't hit as well as it could have judging by the drops each weekend. So Superman can do well if the movie actually manages to be a crowd pleaser.

I think Gunn has enough likable qualities in his movies that even if it's not an exactly by-the-books Superman film, it'll be a film that people in-general enjoy.

I don't have an ideal Superman film, I enjoy the character of Superman himself in any environment, and seeing him interact with characters he's not traditionally grouped with, is one of the main things I'm excited for as a fan of DC characters.

I think seeing Superman interact with other heroes is also something audiences wil actually enjoy, after BVS and JL both ignored the concept and went with odd variations like him either fighting or being dead during most any scene he shared with a "good guy"

well-i-do-black-adam.gif

James Gunn's films have generally legged out better than Matt Reeves films and particularly better than The Batman. So even if there's a 30 million disparity in the opening I kinda expect the legs to make up for it.

There is no ****ing way a Superman movie (a character that struggles massively with the GA) with a cast of total randos makes as much as The Batman. The movie will probably be good because James Gunn makes good movies but James Gunn is also not some big marketable name that's gonna open a movie.

There is no ****ing way a Superman movie (a character that struggles massively with the GA) with a cast of total randos makes as much as The Batman. The movie will probably be good because James Gunn makes good movies but James Gunn is also not some big marketable name that's gonna open a movie.
Never said anything about him opening a movie. But his Guardians films were sure as hell leggy. GoTG Vol. 3 was the ultimate test with Marvel at its worst state and he overcame that. If it's the same quality as those ones him surpassing The Batman isn't that far-fetched, he already did it last year.

Never said anything about him opening a movie. But his Guardians films were sure as hell leggy. GoTG Vol. 3 was the ultimate test with Marvel at its worst state and he overcame that. If it's the same quality as those ones him surpassing The Batman isn't that hard, he already did it last year.
There is a world of difference between Guardians Vol. 3 and Superman in terms of fundamental public interest. Totally disparate situations.

I guess picture in a year from now with surely a wonderful song choice playing in the background "From The Director who brought you The Guardians Of The Galaxy trilogy and The Suicide Squad" I think a casual film goer would at least pay attention to the advertisement.

I dont think people are put off by Superman, more so just not interested, and the film portrayals have been so abysmal there's nothing to be interested in. Gunn can sell "interesting" like water in desert. He has a quirk that people like.
The Guardians were definitely established but I doubt had He not ever been hired back, would the third film be anything other than whatever the rest were.

Last edited:
There is a world of difference between Guardians Vol. 3 and Superman in terms of fundamental public interest. Totally disparate situations.
Is there really? The pre-sales for Guardians started out extremely, extremely badly. It did not skyrocket to the opening it did until word of mouth got people interested. And the Superman suit reveal actually trending #1 on Twitter for a while to me shows that there is still GA interest in Superman. It's easy to forget but the Marvel brand was so damaged that there was a legitimate possibility Guardians was gonna open up to around 90 million for a while, but the quality of the film managed to overcome that.

I totally expect a well made Superman movie to make more than Batman. MOS was a piece of garbage and -adjusted for inflation - it STILL made quite abit more than The Batman.
Right now though, it's way too early to be talking box office, I personally am going to wait until the marketing for the movie revs up next year before putting in my estimates.

Ultimately it will depend on the quality of the film. We have to remember the DCEU has handedly tarnished the DC brand. The Batman had COVID and that reputation going against it and was able to survive due to popularity of the property. Superman has had 2 unsuccessful reboots and there's no guarantee the general audience will come out for a 3rd attempt.

I think the general audience doesn't care what product they are being sold as long as it looks good they will join in. The trailer will do all the work and we will know from then... Although I do wonder if Syndermans are gonna give it a bad score like the the bros do for any female led marvel film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"