Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther or make Shuri the new Panther?

Definitely after. But the Snap gives them the opportunity to have had a new King during those 5 years.. who could potentially continue into the present.

Wakanda couldn't have been without a central ruler for all that time. The tribes would have challenged it.

They don't need to kill off T'Challa, just have him go missing. Then bring him back in like five years with a new actor, when people are ready for it, and have him reveal what he's been up to.

I guest this is the best place to post this.

Sign the Petition

I 100% think they should recast. Tbh even if they kill him off in BP2, there is the options of Variants for BP3.

Shuri as a character doesn’t work as a lead and Letitia Wright isn’t going to play by Disney’s rules. I really want a recast with a variant T’Challa. The character is too important to sideline.

Now that over a year has passed, I'm wondering if attitudes have changed on recasting T'challa.

What if has shown us that T'challa is more than just a mantle. He's a character that deserved to be explored. Even if Shuri get's the mantle, T'challa still has a place in the MCU. He's not a throwaway character.

If they kill off MCU T'challa, I would suggest a variant replace him from a apocalyptic universe where T'challa is the last man standing. Similar to how they swapped out Widow in the finale of What if.
FBf-5VOXIAIhx0T

If they kill off MCU T'challa, I would suggest a variant replace him from a apocalyptic universe where T'challa is the last man standing. Similar to how they swapped out Widow in the finale of What if.
Can't say I agree. I get that this is a different situation than usual, but I disliked the way they replaced Gamora in Endgame, I disliked how they moved around that Black Widow in What If...? And I generally don't want them to keep bringing in alternate universe versions of characters to replace dead ones. Doing that will only embolden people to whine about bringing in different versions of Tony, Steve, Natasha, etc. to replace the old ones. And it's also ignoring how the variant is still a different person than the one they're replacing anyway.

I also don't want to abuse the multiverse just by having it be used to recycle in new versions of familiar characters. For me, that is just lazy writing

Can't say I agree. I get that this is a different situation than usual, but I disliked the way they replaced Gamora in Endgame, I disliked how they moved around that Black Widow in What If...? And I generally don't want them to keep bringing in alternate universe versions of characters to replace dead ones. Doing that will only embolden people to whine about bringing in different versions of Tony, Steve, Natasha, etc. to replace the old ones. And it's also ignoring how the variant is still a different person than the one they're replacing anyway.

New to the forums and I for one support the idea of bringing a variant of T’Challa to the main universe. Hell, I’m all for recasting in general since T’Challa is too big of a character to leave on the shelf forever. As for being a different person that could work, as whoever the new guy will be will be able to put their own unique spin on the character without worrying about being compared to Boseman. Heck being a whole different person from the old T’Challa would make for some great storytelling opportunities as it would completely change the dynamics he has with other characters. Not to mention it could also allow T’Challa to be more comic accurate such as having genius level intellect to being five steps ahead of everyone.

As for emboldening people who still want Tony and Natasha back, I see where you’re coming from but the way I see it the arcs of those characters are complete. They served their purpose and Marvel should keep them dead. They should make an exception in T’Challas case IMO because unlike Tony and Nat, his story is getting cut short. Not to mention the desire to see him on screen again is only gonna grow the further removed we get from Boseman’s death.

Last edited:

*This is a WAY different situation from Gamorra, Tony etc. Were replacing an actor not just a character.
*The Variant WILL be different and that's actually works for the story I had in mind. He's an outsider to this version of Wakanda (And even to the cast). They can lean into the changes and difference. Maybe even give him back his genius intellect.

I'd rather a variant than NO T'challa

I also don't want to abuse the multiverse just by having it be used to recycle in new versions of familiar characters. For me, that is just lazy writing
Well that ship has sailed. The Multiverse is a thing now and can't be ignored. Lazy writing can still be entertaining. ‍♂️

I would have rather it just been same T'Challa, new actor. The variant idea is crap

Well that ship has sailed. The Multiverse is a thing now and can't be ignored. Lazy writing can still be entertaining. ‍♂️

Lazy writing can also lead to a crappier, and thus less enjoyable, product. Abusing the multiverse by using it for bad ideas will make the MCU less good. Period

New to the forums and I for one support the idea of bringing a variant of T’Challa to the main universe. Hell, I’m all for recasting in general since T’Challa is too big of a character to leave on the shelf forever. As for being a different person that could work, as whoever the new guy will be will be able to put their own unique spin on the character without worrying about being compared to Boseman. Heck being a whole different person from the old T’Challa would make for some great storytelling opportunities as it would completely change the dynamics he has with other characters. Not to mention it could also allow T’Challa to be more comic accurate such as having genius level intellect to being five steps ahead of everyone.

As for emboldening people who still want Tony and Natasha back, I see where you’re coming from but the way I see it the arcs of those characters are complete. They served their purpose and Marvel should keep them dead. They should make an exception in T’Challas case IMO because unlike Tony and Nat, his story is getting cut short. Not to mention the desire to see him on screen again is only gonna grow the further removed we get from Boseman’s death.
Couldn't have said it better. A different actor will also add to the outsider dynamic that would come withe the like of Nakia and Shuri not being able to accept the new T'challa as there lover and sibling respectively. Something the cast will respond to also.

Lazy writing can also lead to a crappier, and thus less enjoyable, product. Abusing the multiverse by using it for bad ideas will make the MCU less good. Period
No different than the source material. Were not taking about Shakespeare. I LOVE the MCU, but it's not high art. It's comic book fun. And it's just ONE exception for a unique situation. No one is talking about bringing back all dead characters.

Couldn't have said it better. A different actor will also add to the outsider dynamic that would come withe the like of Nakia and Shuri not being able to accept the new T'challa as there lover and sibling respectively. Something the cast will respond to also.

Sorry man, this just feels too much like bad fan fiction to me

I would have rather it just been same T'Challa, new actor. The variant idea is crap
I'm also perfectly fine with that too, but it seems like there's a group of fandom that doesn't want MCU T'challa replaced and have welcomed the explanation gymnastics of pulling T'challa from a different reality. I'll take either. Just don't kill off the character.

No different than the source material. Were not taking about Shakespeare. I LOVE the MCU, but it's not high art. It's comic book fun. And it's just ONE exception for a unique situation. No one is talking about bringing back all dead characters.

Something not being high art isn't an excuse for bad writing. If your story sucks, why should I be invested? Sorry man, the variant T'Challa idea is one of those elements of comics that sucks that a movie doesn't need. Just because it isn't high art doesn't mean it has to be bad fan fiction

Though he’d obviously end up winning their trust by the end. Hell a variant of T’Challa is better than the rumor of the T’Challa jr. bs. Lol.

If the 3 options presented to me were:

1 - Recast

2 - New character takes mantle

3 - Variant

I easily supported idea 1. I am less excited by option 2, and I just hate option 3. I think 1 variant in Loki replacing the main one is enough. For me, the idea we need some type of in universe explanation to justify a recast is just dumb. I don't need Edward Norton or Terrence Howard to have been variants. Films have recast roles since forever. Overloading the universe needlessly with variants to replace dead characters is just lazy and stuff like that is why a lot of people scoff at comics. It is something you would see on a bad soap opera at best and fan fiction at worst.

As of now, they chose option 2. New character it would seem. That isn't what I would have done, but I would rather that than the variant idea. Yes, the multiverse is a thing. But it existing doesn't make it a good idea

If the 3 options presented to me were:

1 - Recast

2 - New character takes mantle

3 - Variant

I easily supported idea 1. I am less excited by option 2, and I just hate option 3. I think 1 variant in Loki replacing the main one is enough. For me, the idea we need some type of in universe explanation to justify a recast is just dumb. I don't need Edward Norton or Terrence Howard to have been variants. Films have recast roles since forever. Overloading the universe needlessly with variants to replace dead characters is just lazy and stuff like that is why a lot of people scoff at comics. It is something you would see on a bad soap opera at best and fan fiction at worst.

As of now, they chose option 2. New character it would seem. That isn't what I would have done, but I would rather that than the variant idea. Yes, the multiverse is a thing. But it existing doesn't make it a good idea
Agreed on all that. I wish we would have got a recast but option 2 is still better than 3 for me.

Like I said, either an outright recast or a variant works for me. A T’Challa >>>> No T’Challa.

I could live with Winston as the new Black Panther

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"