Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther or make Shuri the new Panther?

Whatever is now plz no Shuri. She absolutely not worth mantle of BP

They've literally flushed T'Challa down the toilet. Out of, so called "respect".

risitas-forocoches-uvasm.gif

And it only took them minutes to come to that decision. Talk about a knee jerk reaction.

It's an unwise decision , but it's hard to tell people who've made a billion dollars worth of films that they're wrong, and I have a feeling Marvel Studios may have gotten to that point after 12 or so years of success.

But, we'll see.

If their decision proves correct , they'll stick with it.

If it doesn't go over well financially and with the audience, you can rest assured, their Disney overlords will make them recast T'Challa

You never say never in Hollywood .

Not even considering a recast for T'Challa is absolutely dumb on their part. They seem to be under the belief that the remaining characters in BP are what made that film popular and can carry the franchise. They've forgotten how popular T'Challa is with the fans and are now going to completely forgo using any of his past comic storylines/connections that would have been good to see on film.

Last edited:
One day, Disney would reboot Marvel cinematic Universe, and the continuity that started with Iron Man 2008 would end. The younger generations (kids/teens of 2050s or 2060s) would be introduced to new actors portraying these characters. T'Challa would be played someone else in the future in the movies, even if it takes 40 years.

As for Wakanda Forever....hmm I feel like they gave Ryan too much control IF it was really his decision to not recast T'Challa and Marvel just went along with him. In hindsight, their new BP is problematic and could definitely delay the movie for years, if she doesn't take those two shots of vaccine.

It won't take that long if the new Shuri Black Panther doesn't go over well.

They'll recast T'Challa way before the 2050s if they need to, and that wouldn't require a reboot.

It would be the 2030s at the latest, if they were to recast at least.

If Shuri is a success , however, then it's gonna be quite a long time before they'd be willing to go back to T'Challa in live action since then there wouldn't by any incentive to recast the part until a reboot.

Last edited:
T'Challa is one of my all time favorite comic book characters. But I completely agree with the reasoning of Coogler, Moore and Feige to choose not to recast. After Boseman's tragic death putting a rando black dude in his role and asking the audience to buy it would be awkward as fu**. Recasting is extremely challenging in an interconnected multi media universe, as we experienced with the cringeworthy introduction of New Rhodey. Dial that up about 1000 times when T'Challa 2.0 comes on screen and I think I would find the sequel unwatchable.

The good news is that we got a near perfect version of T'Challa on the big screen in a couple of extremely well received cinematic blockbusters. Boseman perfectly inhabited the character in both look and demeanor, and I could not have remotely envisioned that as a child seeing T'Challa walloping a dinosaur man in MTU and filling in for Cap in the Avengers comics.

More good news in this tragedy is that The Black Panther is a legacy title and a new character can put on the catsuit and try to fill his very big shoes. If the rumors are true,
the son of T'Challa and Nakia
may be ready to take on the mantle before too long. And this new version may even be more like T'Challa in the comics, perhaps having the scientific genius first shown in FF 52 or the ruthlessness shown in Priest's run. In my opinion they made the absolutely right choice, but we shall see.

Yeah the problem with the T’Challa Jr rumor should it be true is that by the time he’s old enough to be the Black Panther the other heroes will be aged significantly and therefore robbing him of key character interactions. Reed Richards? Middle aged or old so bye bye T’Challa/Reed bromance. Okoye? Old. Shang-Chi? Old. Captain America? Middle aged or old.

Literally the only way they can make it work is if they do some Kang/time travel shenanigans to age him up so that we don’t have to wait 15 or 20 years for him to grow up. Oh and it’s crucial for him to be named T’Challa II so at least we can have somebody named T’Challa in these damn movies going forward. And like you said comic accurate traits are a must. Lmao.

I like the idea with Okoje or M’Baku replacing T’Challa in Wakanda Forever and then T’Challa’s son (after timejump) being the future BP. Showing him at 5-6 years in BP2. This makes also the role of Nakia very important.
I like the idea of exploring his youth in the confirmed Wakanda series. A prince growing up in Wakanda would be awesome to show. Like the first third of “Coming to America” but more serious.

Nah I say, use time travel shenanigans to age him up so that he can interact with the other heroes while they’re still in their prime.

And I can’t stress this enough. Name him T’Challa II.

And here’s a very convoluted fan theory on how they can handle aging him up:

I’ve been thinking about this again in light of Nate Moore’s interview. Say T’Challa and Nakia did have a child in between BP and Endgame but he was just offscreen because Daddy had bigger fish to fry (Thanos). I came up with this rather convoluted fan theory on how they could make it work, especially if the kid is named T’Challa II. After BP2, there will be a team up film with Kang as the main villain and since he’s the master of time, Kang decides to target all the major heroes and teams in the MCU at that point. So Shuri, M’Baku, Okoye, and possibly Ayo and Aneka are ambushed by Kang and pulled into a temporal limbo. Basically Kang is doing the opposite of what Thanos did, where as the mad titan targeted everyone, Kang targets a few specific individuals that will be key to foiling his plans. So not only does he pull the Wakandan Heroes into the void, he also gets Shang-Chi and his allies, The Fantastic Four, Namor, The Marvels, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Blade, the Hulks, the Young Avengers, and literally all the major heroes on earth that have been introduced at that point are pulled into the limbo. Ant-Man, having been through this song and dance before starts freaking out as he knows that literally every second counts as time passes by differently in the outside world. The other heroes brush him off thinking that he’s being extra but Doctor Strange tells them that Ant-Man has a point. Eventually they break out of the void, but the thing is they’ve been in there for about 18 hours, which translates to 18 years in the outside world. And Kang has taken over everywhere except Latveria, Atlantis and Wakanda. And then blah blah blah, **** happens, the heroes regroup to fight Kang but get their asses kicked. Kangs about to end it until a bunch of Wakandan battle ships and some impressive looking Panther mechs rain fire upon him.

Shuri and the rest of the Wakandans look to see who’s leading the charge and it turns out to be a new king of Wakanda that rose to power while they were in the void. The king shouts “YIBAMBE!” with the army behind him also shouting before screaming “Wakanda Forever!” and leading the charge against Kang, thus turning the tide in the heroes favor all while the theme song with the chorus shouting “T’Challa” blasting full volume. Then yadda yadda, they beat Kang and Shuri asks the new king his name to which he’ll say something like “Aunt Shuri, I am King T’Challa the second, son of King T’Challa” or some **** like that. Basically this would be a way to age up the kid (again assuming the rumor is true) without significantly aging the other characters in the process. He would also have T’Challas comic accurate traits such as his genius level intellect and prep time mastery.

Again this is assuming IF Coogler is going through with the whole T’Challa jr thing as a way to say “see guys? T’Challa is still in the MCU”. I know this idea is very complicated. Personally I think it would be a lot easier to just drop a variant of T’Challa in the main timeline and call it a day but all this could have been avoided had they just took time to grieve then recast. But here we are. Smh.

Last edited:
Hawkeye is set during 2025 (almost 2026)…it looks like they’re trying to speed up the actions. T’Challas son could already be 7-8 years old

T'Challa II or Azari or whatever the hell they call him could be a teen by the time the third Black Panther film comes around. That's old enough to stick him a starter cat suit without any time travel shenanigans.

If the little guy isn’t named T’Challa II then I don’t want him. Lmao.

One day, Disney would reboot Marvel cinematic Universe, and the continuity that started with Iron Man 2008 would end. The younger generations (kids/teens of 2050s or 2060s) would be introduced to new actors portraying these characters. T'Challa would be played someone else in the future in the movies, even if it takes 40 years.

As for Wakanda Forever....hmm I feel like they gave Ryan too much control IF it was really his decision to not recast T'Challa and Marvel just went along with him. In hindsight, their new BP is problematic and could definitely delay the movie for years, if she doesn't take those two shots of vaccine.
Only 40 years to wait, good to know. :funny:

I’m a huge advocate of a recast with a multiversal T’Challa. Give it a few years but I want to see T’Challa with the Fantastic 4 or interacting with Storm. So many great possibilities that you lose with Shuri.

I understand Coogler not wanting to recast, but the character should return. He is far too important to the MCU. The character is immortal, has been played by many actors before Boseman and will be played by many actors after him.

Chadwick Boseman Would Want Black Panther Role Recast, Says Brother

Chadwick’s big brother said that he would fully support the idea of a recast and believes his brother would as well.
I want to be as respectful as possible but I had imagined that this would be the case. From everything I have seen of Chadwick in interviews he absolutely didn't take this role for himself or any personal glory. It sounded like he wouldn't be thinking of his own legacy but the legacy of the character for all the people the character inspired.

I’m a huge advocate of a recast with a multiversal T’Challa. Give it a few years but I want to see T’Challa with the Fantastic 4 or interacting with Storm.
I don't think they should go overboard with multiverse characters that become permanent MCU residents, but I do think this is one place where it could work well. This wouldn't be a recast in the same way then as it would be a different T'Challa.

So many great possibilities that you lose with Shuri.
Also a bunch of dumb ones you gain with this actress.

I understand Coogler not wanting to recast, but the character should return. He is far too important to the MCU. The character is immortal, has been played by many actors before Boseman and will be played by many actors after him.
The Black Panther is the most natural character to hand down the title over time compared to most other MCU heroes. As you say he is also crucial to the modern day MCU's broader appeal. Of course if Coogler prefers not to go down that path then he has earned the right to make the appropriate decision.

I don't think they should go overboard with multiverse characters that become permanent MCU residents, but I do think this is one place where it could work well. This wouldn't be a recast in the same way then as it would be a different T'Challa.

After seeing No Way Home, I think this would be a great way to handle a variant coming to the main universe.

the post credits scene is essentially a trailer for Multiverse of madness, and one major character we see is the evil Dr. Strange from What if. I’m thinking that maybe the events of MOM could lead to the variant Killmonger escaping into another universe and getting the IGEW under his control and wreak havoc across the cosmos. Then the third BP film could have a variant of T’Challa coming into the main universe from space and it’ll be a well written adaptation of the IGEW. Not to mention when Killmonger is inevitably beaten at the end of the movie, T’Challa can become the emperor of the empire and stay on Earth Wakanda BUT Shuri will still be recognized as the ruler of Earth Wakanda. Basically he can be restored to a position of power in a way that won’t ruffle the feathers of people who want to see Shuri on the throne.

No variant shennanigans.

Halt production.

Fire Wright.

Recast both Shuri and T'challa.

Better to take time off, reevaluate and recast than make a dumpster fire and I'm sorry the way everything sounds now this simply won't reach any level of quality, not to mention I have ZERO idea how to deal with marketing. This was already going to have talk about how the part wasn't recast in every interview the actors and director does for the movie. Now... They won't trust Wrigth to do the press junkets and talk show circuit.

Pull

the

band

aid.

Washinton is THERE for the taking.

If there's no talk about Wright going at least... Yeah, I can't at this point see this film working.

No variant shennanigans.

Halt production.

Fire Wright.

Recast both Shuri and T'challa.

Better to take time off, reevaluate and recast than make a dumpster fire and I'm sorry the way everything sounds now this simply won't reach any level of quality, not to mention I have ZERO idea how to deal with marketing. This was already going to have talk about how the part wasn't recast in every interview the actors and director does for the movie. Now... They won't trust Wrigth to do the press junkets and talk show circuit.

Pull

the

band

aid.

Washinton is THERE for the taking.

If there's no talk about Wright going at least... Yeah, I can't at this point see this film working.
It’s too late for them to pull out now. Best we can hope for is a post credits scene showing that T’Challa is still alive or that a variant has come to the main universe. And time is not on Marvels side regarding T’Challa. The recast sentiment is growing stronger the further removed we get from Boseman’s death, especially with his family coming out in support of a recast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"