Homecoming So where does the spider come from?

Comic Book Guy

Civilian
Reaction score
Haven't really seen this discussed much. I know they're skipping the origin, but I can't see them skipping details like this. That being, where exactly does the spider that bites Peter come from? In the first Spider-Man series he was bitten by a genetically engineered spider at a museum or something. Can't see Marvel being that random. In the TASM series he was bitten by an Oscorp genetically enhanced spider. Can't see them retreading that ground. Are they going to use Stark Technologies for the spider? I think it probably makes the most sense in the MCU. Peter was on a field trip to a Stark facility (maybe Stark Tower/Avengers Tower itself) and they were doing experiments on genetically enhanced spiders and he was bitten by one. Anyone else got an idea?

Oh ya I said it myself be it opening credits, standard flash back scenes, or it plays into film like mysterio as villain. I am sure we see mcu take on spider bite, letting the crook go, with great power speech and ben death happen. So we get the mcu stamp on it.

For me I like it be like original comics just a poor normal spider that got caught into some experiment no one noticed and bam powered up and bites peter. I don't want oscorp tied directly to peter this time.

Hydra.. they're always in business for weird science. No idea how it would play out though. Maybe something to do with Jessica Drew? Otherwise, just the regular old story would suffice.

Oh ya I said it myself be it opening credits, standard flash back scenes, or it plays into film like mysterio as villain. I am sure we see mcu take on spider bite, letting the crook go, with great power speech and ben death happen. So we get the mcu stamp on it.

For me I like it be like original comics just a poor normal spider that got caught into some experiment no one noticed and bam powered up and bites peter. I don't want oscorp tied directly to peter this time.
I do think it would be cool if Marvel just stuck with the randomness of it all. A spider just happened to get caught up in something and that spider just happened to bite Peter, could have been anyone and the chances of the spider getting caught up in an experiment were even less likely, but fate chose Peter.

Some regular old spider falls into a neogenic recombinator, becomes radioactive, bites Peter granting him certain "abilities", then goes limp and dies. Freak accident. Nothing more.

Yeah a random accident is better, and it feels more believable, too.

Ya in don't want the spider or his powers tied to any one.

Some regular old spider falls into a neogenic recombinator, becomes radioactive, bites Peter granting him certain "abilities", then goes limp and dies. Freak accident. Nothing more.

Yeah a random accident is better, and it feels more believable, too.

Ya in don't want the spider or his powers tied to any one.

I agree. A random accident that isn't really tied to anyone else (how it was originally meant in the comics) and also with no predestiny garbage like we saw with the ASM series.

I wouldn't mind if there's some connection to existing superscience, like "the experiment where Peter got bit was in some Stark facility running a Young Genius internship/outreach program". However, I'd prefer there be a lack of *intent*. Even if its an accident connected with some existing bit of setting, it should still be an *accident*.

Why does it have to be addressed - if he's already Spider-Man when we meet him then its a non-issue...

I agree. A random accident that isn't really tied to anyone else (how it was originally meant in the comics) and also with no predestiny garbage like we saw with the ASM series.

This.

I'd like to see something like TAS. Professor Stillwell created a device called the 'Neogenic Recombinator' that would harness radiation to record and rearrange the genetic code of living organisms. Peter is an aspiring scientist, he is given the opportunity to witness a demonstration. Through some accident a spider is exposed to the device, and then bites Peter. Bam, he gets spider DNA and radioactive blood.

If you want something even closer to the orginal, make it an experiment that harnesses radiation for the purpose of artificially causing mutations
in bacteria. The spider comes in and a retrovirus in its body mutates in such a way that it can infect Peter, slowly transferring genes from the spider to himself.

:up:

I want radioactive blood damn it. Spider blood. Spider blood. Radioactive spider blood.

Last edited:
:up:

I want radioactive blood damn it. Spider blood. Spider blood. Radioactive spider blood.

I know! That'd be great.

What was with that genetically modified crap anyway? If I eat a genetically modified orange, do I become orange man?

I wanna see him grow the extra arms though

And then...

Man-Spider1.jpg

I know! That'd be great.

What was with that genetically modified crap anyway? If I eat a genetically modified orange, do I become orange man?

Exactly! They actually thought they were making things more scientifically plausible but they were making it less so. At least we know that radiation can cause mutations.

I loved that arc from the show

Me too. And you know what? A superhero movie where the hero becomes the monster and you team up two other heroes from other franchises to stop him and fix him? Yeah, that might make a badass Marvel Studios film that breaks a little the formula.

I saw a documentary called 'Science of Spider-man' or something. A biologist of some kind suggested that the best way to make Spider-man in real life would be with a retrovirus. For those that don't know, retroviruses permanently insert their genes into our own DNA. The virus would slowly infect every cell in his body, inserting spider genes at specific locations. You could easily use radiation as a catalyst for the mutation of a retrovirus that is transferred through a spider bite.

Last edited:
I saw a documentary called 'Science of Spider-man' or something. A biologist of some kind suggested that the best way to make Spider-man in real life would be with a retrovirus. For those that don't know, retroviruses permanently insert their genes into our own DNA. The virus would slowly infect every cell in his body, inserting spider genes at specific locations. You could easily use radiation as a catalyst for the mutation of a retrovirus that is transferred through a spider bite.

like retroviral hyperplasia? :o

so if i get this retrovirus shot in me I can be Spider-Man too? :hmr:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"