The Speculative Spider-Man of the MCU

Gavan

Civilian
Reaction score
Let's say an MCU Spider-Man eventually becomes reality.

The TASM series isn't getting the accolades the Raimi ones got and it's bedeviled by criticism from the Raimi fans and MCU fans. But new Spider-Man movies should get maximum spider accolades.

If Spider-Man was part of the MCU, the MCU fans would unite and get behind it like no other Marvel movie fans can, and bowl over the rest. Sony and Disney can wrangle about sharing the profits, but so far as reception goes, going MCU would be the smart move.

Since the TASM movies are always criticized for rehashing stuff the Raimi ones did first, an MCU Spider-Man would have to avoid that as much as reasonably possible, and just show mostly new stuff. But this might be too radical, as it would involve changes even more than the TASM movies already do.

MCU Peter should definitely be college-aged at least or preferably a college graduate/professional when he gets bitten. People didn't like to see the origin process all over again in TASM so it needs to glossed over for the MCU, and he can't have been bitten as a high schooler because he would have been in Avengers 1.

The drawback is that Uncle Ben subplot would have to be dropped because Peter is already a mature adult. Let's just say Uncle Ben was like Pa Kent, and Peter didn't need to get him killed indirectly to learn about responsibility.

Peter could already be married to MJ, with Gwen as a mutual friend because why not, Norman doesn't exist. The MCU can't have Oscorp and the Osborns and any other villains that Sony already used. The TASMs are getting heat for using villains that Raimi called dibs on, and we don't want that for the MCU.

The Daily Bugle could be a newly-founded newspaper, but Peter should probably be working for Stark Industries or some other company.

Spider-Man would fill the role of a street-level superhero who fights crime, which is noticeably lacking in the current MCU. The TV stuff with Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc. will fix that, and Spider-Man could fit right in with them.

If Spider-Man was part of the MCU, the MCU fans would unite and get behind it like no other Marvel movie fans can, and bowl over the rest.
I will only believe this if the Incredible Hulk got more welcomed and great home video sales these days

Peter could already be married to MJ
Doubt this will ever happen on film

You (nor many of the other threads or posts about this) never stated how this would be of benefit to Spider-Man movies.

If Spider-Man was in the MCU his movies would have MCU Easter eggs, references to MCU events and SHIELD cameos. None of that would improve the storytelling, plot, characterisation ect...

Seems to me people want him for The Avengers benefit, just to see him banter with Iron Man because it'd be "cool to see". That imo is not a good enough reason.

The TASM series isn't getting the accolades the Raimi ones got and it's bedeviled by criticism from the Raimi fans and MCU fans. But new Spider-Man movies should get maximum spider accolades.

It's ratings are about on par with the previous movies. Much of the problem with Raimi fans and MCU fans is stubbornness at the reboot existing.

Since the TASM movies are always criticized for rehashing stuff the Raimi ones did first, an MCU Spider-Man would have to avoid that as much as reasonably possible, and just show mostly new stuff. But this might be too radical, as it would involve changes even more than the TASM movies already do.

It's not rehashing Raimi, it's rehashing Spider-Man. It's an adaption of the same character of course they'd have similiar plots and the same characters ect...

The drawback is that Uncle Ben subplot would have to be dropped because Peter is already a mature adult. Let's just say Uncle Ben was like Pa Kent, and Peter didn't need to get him killed indirectly to learn about responsibility.

So you want to scrap one of the most important if not the most important aspect of his origin just to be different from the current movies.

Webb may have not done it to everyone's liking but it'd have been a hundreds times worse reaction if he didn't have Uncle Ben at all.

Last edited:
I think, like X-Men, an MCU Spider-Man would be best served by television. You'd need a top notch stunt team, and to lose the frequent 'swinging through the city' type of shots, but other than that, you'd capture Spider-Man's action and you could actually unpack his actual comic book story, which involves a lot of personal issues with his supporting cast.

As a film series, Spider-Man has no hope of delving into his supporting cast or his personal life beyond whatever girlfriend he's dealing with and how he knows the supervillain. Plus, if Spidey were back in the MCU, I'd rather have Spidey on TV and a new never-before-filmed character as the new film property rather than having ANOTHER Spider-Man film series at the cost of exposing more of Marvel's properties to the general public.

If Spider-Man was in the MCU his movies would have MCU Easter eggs, references to MCU events and SHIELD cameos. None of that would improve the storytelling, plot, characterisation ect...

How would you feel about "blink and you'll miss them" references? Like in ASM3, Peter is in the park with
whoever his new love interest is going to be in AMS 3 now that Gwen met her untimely death
and in the park he walks past a few kids with lunchboxes with pictures of Iron Man, Cap and Thor on it? Or he's in college and he is sitting on a bench and sees a group of college students and one of them is wearing a T-Shirt with Thor on it and another one has a t-shirt of Captain America?

Also remember, Sony Pictures is not in the best shape right now. If Sony decides to sell Sony Pictures, all bets are off.

Also you should realize that not every MCU fan wants to see Spidey in the MCU. I for one could not care less if he's in the MCU. If he is, great. If he's not great too. You need to stop generalizing every MCU fan into one category.

Last edited:
Also you should realize that not every MCU fan wants to see Spidey in the MCU. I for one could not care less if he's in the MCU. If he is, great. If he's not great too. You need to stop generalizing every MCU fan into one category.

Well I only take issue with those wishing to end franchises I enjoy, all others are a-okay with me ;)

Last edited:
Well I only take issue with those wishing to end franchises I enjoy, all others are a-okay with me ;)

Of course, Guardians will probably be your favorite MCU movie.

Nothing wrong with that though. It looks to be a fun movie.

As a non Comic Book guy I wasn't bothered by the Mandarin changes in Iron Man 3 nor did I hate Thor: TDW, although I wasn't a fan of the Earth scenes. As such, I am also not bothered by race changes in comics nor the fact that Hank Pym is 70. I knew Batman and Superman from the 80's movies and classic TV shows. I knew the X-Men from the 90's Fox animated show and Spidey from the Sam Raimi films. I do a lot of my superhero research through the internet. I knew the Hulk from the Bill Bixby TV Series and the Ang Lee movie.

It is why I see Marvel vs. DC and Marvel vs. Fox and Marvel vs. Sony as nothing but 100% pure drivel. It is crap and nonsense and it's do damn annoying. It may not be a popular opinion but that's how I feel. Thank god that I am not a comic book guy (I am more of a comic strip person, ala Peanuts and Garfield) for that very reason.

Last edited:
I care more about Osborn being of use than Spider-man; at this point. *holds out hope for Chris Meloni as Marvel Osborn*

The thing that I love about Peter Parker/Spidey is that he is a late HS teenager. You have him getting bit in his early 20s while in college destroys this aspect. Make Bruce Wayne a hobo on the street next time.

I think, like X-Men, an MCU Spider-Man would be best served by television. You'd need a top notch stunt team, and to lose the frequent 'swinging through the city' type of shots, but other than that, you'd capture Spider-Man's action and you could actually unpack his actual comic book story, which involves a lot of personal issues with his supporting cast.

As a film series, Spider-Man has no hope of delving into his supporting cast or his personal life beyond whatever girlfriend he's dealing with and how he knows the supervillain. Plus, if Spidey were back in the MCU, I'd rather have Spidey on TV and a new never-before-filmed character as the new film property rather than having ANOTHER Spider-Man film series at the cost of exposing more of Marvel's properties to the general public.

I don't think it could be pulled off with a TV budget. Spider-Man 1 had a pretty big budget but it still had a few dodgy CGI moments.

It would tone down the scale of the action to some degree. You'd have to all but stop doing things that demand CGI, I agree.

I still think Marvel's live action Universe would be better without introducing Spider-Man, there would be less focus on him, and more attention paid to making better quality for the rest of the characters

I think movies would be almost unavoidable, unless technology advanced such as to make decent CGI effects practical on a Netflix miniseries budget. They just aren't going to sideline Spider-man in the manner necessary to make a TV show affordable. Because, really, not only is Spider-man impractical on a TV budget, so are virtually all his villains.

The thing that I love about Peter Parker/Spidey is that he is a late HS teenager. You have him getting bit in his early 20s while in college destroys this aspect. Make Bruce Wayne a hobo on the street next time.

The Darren Aronofsky Batman: Year One script was pretty interesting, fake or not.

It wouldn't work. The franchise is already broken. Destroyed by S-M 3 and the worse reboot. The new movie looks like Schumacher himself designed the sets and costumes. Why would MS risk their status and invest in a character with a desasterous live action history? And what would the remaining fans get out of it? Another reboot? Again? Sony will run this character to the ground over the next years and then will let him die.
If the MCU is still around in about 20 years, then we can talk

Spiderman isn't that damaged. Sure the reboot hasn't helped but the character itself is still very much intact and has a highly dedicated fanbase

It wouldn't work. The franchise is already broken. Destroyed by S-M 3 and the worse reboot. The new movie looks like Schumacher himself designed the sets and costumes. Why would MS risk their status and invest in a character with a desasterous live action history? And what would the remaining fans get out of it? Another reboot? Again? Sony will run this character to the ground over the next years and then will let him die.

I wouldn't call it a disastrous live action history. The lowest grossing film is 750 million dollars.

Of course, Guardians will probably be your favorite MCU movie.

Nothing wrong with that though. It looks to be a fun movie.

Oh Man I can't wait for that. Perfect way to end the CBM year.

It is why I see Marvel vs. DC and Marvel vs. Fox and Marvel vs. Sony as nothing but 100% pure drivel. It is crap and nonsense and it's do damn annoying.

:up:

Haters_gonna_Spidey.gif

I don't think it could be pulled off with a TV budget. Spider-Man 1 had a pretty big budget but it still had a few dodgy CGI moments.

Another way to put it is. Here's $1,000 worth of Spider-Man without CGI

[YT]qK-LPEtbajQ[/YT]

Now, imagine if you had a full stunt team and a million dollars an episode. You could get some really awesome practical Spider-Man action. Same goes with all his villains, from a practical prosthetic suit or Rhino, to practical puppeteered tentacles for Doc Ock.

What demands Movie-level CGI is the flight scenes, Spidey swinging through the city in widescreen high def. Without those, there's little need for CGI, shoddy or otherwise.

A TV show would actually allow it to be different and delve into the uber-rich drama-laden Spider-Man mythos. Not focusing on stunt spectacle so much as character depth. I'd love it.

Another way to put it is. Here's $1,000 worth of Spider-Man without CGI

[YT]qK-LPEtbajQ[/YT]

Now, imagine if you had a full stunt team and a million dollars an episode. You could get some really awesome practical Spider-Man action. Same goes with all his villains, from a practical prosthetic suit or Rhino, to practical puppeteered tentacles for Doc Ock.

What demands Movie-level CGI is the flight scenes, Spidey swinging through the city in widescreen high def. Without those, there's little need for CGI, shoddy or otherwise.

A TV show would actually allow it to be different and delve into the uber-rich drama-laden Spider-Man mythos. Not focusing on stunt spectacle so much as character depth. I'd love it.

As harrowing as it is watching a stunt guy running along ledges like that, it still has that Kick-Ass feel of a dumbass in a costume masquerading as a superhero. I can't see it being practical in the least with all the super villains and the works either. It would look awful. It might be practical in another 8-10 years when technology may be able to reproduce close to 2002 level CGI with a TV budget. Right now, hells no.

But the minute you can bring these characters to TV, what's the point in ever going back? Wouldn't that be the day?

Imagine a world when TV and Cinema are officially bridged. Imagine filming a season with a cast and then having an event movie in theaters culminating that season (or seasons) of a TV series. Actors certainly need the work these days and that's why we've seen TV dramatically improve. But imagine that? Think Game of Thrones is our best bet to do it currently.

Last edited:
Really? With the slo mo and the wide angle pans, and some actual swinging, you felt every bit of it was Kick Ass and multiplying the budget 1000x wouldn't change that? I just plain old disagree.

I actually was watching Spider-Man 2, and some of that CGI was awful, and a lot of it just seemed unnecessary, like a way to ensure the actors didn't really have to do any stunts. That's a sad use of CGI, imo.

And while TV and Cinema might be able to exchange more easily in the future, that will likely be relegated to Premium channels like Showtime, HBO, AMC and others that make movie quality series like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, True Detective, Orange Is The New Black and the like. Network TV can't be on that level because the amount of content they produce and the rate they have to produce it at makes a certain quality level almost unattainable.

*cough* I actually think the stunts and effects work in Kick-Ass is not bad, at least with regard to Hit-Girl. . .

It's ratings are about on par with the previous movies. Much of the problem with Raimi fans and MCU fans is stubbornness at the reboot existing.

No, they're not. SM1&2 have a RT rating of 89% and 94%, while TASM1&2 have 73% and ~65-69%.

Most Raimi fans and MCU fans were initially looking forward to the new Spider-Man films, and the reasons a lot of them don't like it is because TASM simply isn't that good, not because of stubbornness. In fact, the most stuborn people are the TASM fans who are artificially inflating the user ratings where it exists, and giving 0/10 reviews for the Raimi films.

As for the "Speculative Spider-Man", I think they should use Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man since the Raimi films definitely have the feel of the MCU, and we already have the backstory of the "Mature Adult" Peter. Although SM3 kind of screwed up by killing off Harry and Venom.

I think it could still work though, but Tobey and Raimi moved on. I'd have it be based on Peter's trying to find out more about his parent, and have them be framed Spies by Hydra and use Rheinholt Kragov/Red Skull II as Electro.

Heil Hydra.

Last edited:
The only way I want Spider-Man in the MCU is if it's a Marvel Studios film. Honestly...no Spider-Man movie has been able to capture Peter Parker even close to good. And with the new series and the origin of the bad guys...it's kinda lame. :/

If they were to reboot I would probably go for them avoiding retelling the whole spider bite/ death of Uncle Ben and instead have the story start with Peter starting college. Everyone knows his origin so telling it can be skipped beyond a few passing comments. Moving from school to college is a big stage in someones life so it would make a good point to jump into the story. Plus in the comics its not until Peter starts college that he meets characters like Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"