Social Media Reactions + Reviews

Certainly seems this year's MCU offerings aren't exactly pleasing the audiences as much as they did in previous years. Might be time for Feige and his team to take a look at what they're doing with the film side of the MCU.

Certainly seems this year's MCU offerings aren't exactly pleasing the audiences as much as they did in previous years. Might be time for Feige and his team to take a look at what they're doing with the film side of the MCU.

There's really no evidence to suggest that as of yet. Let's also not forget the bumps the MCU had in Phase 1 between Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.

There's really no evidence to suggest that as of yet. Let's also not forget the bumps the MCU had in Phase 1 between Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.
The critic and viewer exit scores (CinemaScore and PostTrak) of Eternals, DS2, and now Thor 4 are showing it, compared to previous offerings. Certainly beginning to think there's a bit of a disconnect between Marvel and its viewers with how lukewarm the receptions have been for their latest film offerings.

The critic and viewer exit scores (CinemaScore and PostTrak) of Eternals, DS2, and now Thor 4 are showing it, compared to previous offerings. Certainly beginning to think there's a bit of a disconnect between Marvel and its viewers with how lukewarm the receptions have been for their latest film offerings.

Then you'd get people complaining about Marvel being safe, meddling with directors etc. Creatively speaking they are in a no-win situation right now. Personally I've really appreciated how almost every Phase 4 movie was its own thing on multiple aspects without the need to constantly build up to a huge ensemble event, which we know is still coming at some point. I'd say as long as the movies make money while taking some creative swings and risks, they'll be fine.

Kermode hated it while Mayo really liked it. I thought that Kermode jumping on him like that at the end because he had a different opinion was a bit much.

Again, watch it yourself and make up your own mind.

I love me a good Kermode rant. "The more I think about it, the more angry it makes me":hehe:

Then you'd get people complaining about Marvel being safe, meddling with directors etc. Creatively speaking they are in a no-win situation right now. Personally I've really appreciated how almost every Phase 4 movie was its own thing on multiple aspects without the need to constantly build up to a huge ensemble event, which we know is still coming at some point. I'd say as long as the movies make money while taking some creative swings and risks, they'll be fine.
Having a little supervision, moderation and meddling can be good things. At times, it feels like the films are off on their own with little supervision too much with how overly indulgent some things have gotten within them. I wonder if some of that has been because Feige is maybe stretched too thin at times (him being Chief Creative Officer means he oversees all of Marvel's film, publishing, TV, and animation) and his team of producers/execs are not as adept at keeping the same level of quality control/guidance needed to maintain the MCU's normal high movie standards. I've thought that maybe the pandemic has impacted the way they did the development, production, and oversight of projects with how everything was so isolated when many of these films were done and the projects didn't benefit from having teams collaborating and bouncing ideas off each other more.

I wouldn't be mad one bit if they cut down on the amount of projects so things were a little tighter and much of the content (especially the TV stuff) didn't feel both obligatory and throwaway at the same time.

Eh, dont panic guys. Doctor Strange got a B+ cinemascore and is sitting on 950M ww box office. The movie had really solid legs. I think Thor will still do really well box office wise.

Love and Thunder seems to be even less popular with both critics and audience in general, though. And it already is projected to have a significantly smaller worldwide opening than Multiverse of Madness. Also there's more competition this time around and I doubt its legs will be all that great.

Last edited:

Those are small sampling sizes at best. The box office results do not show that. Doctor Strange 2 didn't get released in China, Saudi Arabia, or Russia, and it still made $950 million worldwide, and over $410 million domestic. It far outgrossed the original. You can maybe point to its second weekend drop, but look how it continued to perform well later on even against the gigantic Top Gun: Maverick.

Keep in mind, this is a freaking Doctor Strange movie. And the sequel far outgrossed the 2016 movie.

I didn't like Eternals and thought it was a misstep, but is that Marvel not trying to do something different and more experimental?

Also, how do you then explain Shang-Chi and No Way Home?

I just think the general audience is waiting for them to finally give actual X-Men content and big picture things. Patrick Stewart in MoM was not true X-Men content just a fan service nod as he won't be in the future stuff at his age.

The MCU movies were always an event feel I remember the theaters were packed every Thursday opening release. It didn't matter if it was Iron Man, Ant-Man, GOTG, or the Avengers but now I am sure the pandemic impacted them since it moved the schedules around. Shang Chi had a pretty good opening crowd and of course Spider-Man but most have just been ok.

A few of these movies so far have a feel that they can be skipped. Black Widow as so far the only impact was for a show Hawkeye and likely other D+ shows, Eternals besides seeing the celestials around here and there it isn't like they actually have done anything, and now Thor because this one sets up Thor to have his own solo trilogy since 1-3 dealt with building up IWs, heck MoM may eventually be skippable but it depends on DS 3.

Love and Thunder seems to be even less popular with both critics and audience in general, though. And it already is projected to have a significantly smaller worldwide opening than Multiverse of Madness. Also there's more competition this time around and I doubt its legs will be all true great.
Multiverse of Madness is a way more enjoyable movie both visually and storywise. It's not perfect, but Sam Raimis touch makes it feel different and unique. Love and Thunder, honestly speaking, is one of the worst if not the worst MCU film to date.

As long as their making at least a decent amount of money, I don't think they'll reexamine. Nor would I see a need for them to. McDonalds doesn't need to change the fries recipe if it is still selling

Until they start regularly make under 800 mill WW, they're gonna stay the course.

Multiverse of Madness is a way more enjoyable movie both visually and storywise. It's not perfect, but Sam Raimis touch makes it feel different and unique. Love and Thunder, honestly speaking, is one of the worst if not the worst MCU film to date.
Personally I didn't like Multiverse one bit, but then again that's partially to at an MCU fatigued phase I am at lately. I do get the feeling that Thor is more divisive in comparison though and from what I hear I may have to skip it altogether. For that and the above reasons I mentioned I don't think we'll see similar numbers in the box office at all.

Personally I didn't like Multiverse one bit, but then again that's partially to at an MCU fatigued phase I am at lately. I do get the feeling that Thor is more divisive in comparison, though and from what I hear I may have to skip it altogether. For that and the above reasons I mentioned I don't think we'll see similar numbers in the box office at all.
That's fair. I'm in the fatigue phase as well, but was pleasantly surprised by NWH and MoM. Thor reminded me why I was fatigued in the first place though. even the emotional scenes didnt work for me at all.

Look, there's the thing: Marvel is in danger of spreading itself too thin. 3-4 movies a year and 4 D+ shows a year might be a bit too much. Maybe we need to condense a little bit and maybe not EVERY little ancillary character should get their own tv show. I know some are excited for stuff like Agatha but...do we really need that? Do we need Echo? I dont want Marvel to end up diluting itself.

Also, I think now its time we start lifting the curtain a bit on what the next "Endgame" is. I think people are ready and eager to learn where all this is goin. Marvel's still got a hold on the mass movie going audience and people are invested in seeing the next big story. I didnt get an applause with this crowd but my audience for MoM cheered when the Marvel Studios logo popped up before the movie began. No other movie studio has that kind of power of ticket buyers but they need to continue earning that goodwill and continue giving people a reason to consider each of these movies events.

Last edited:
Look, there's the thing: Marvel is in danger of spreading itself too thin. 3-4 movies a year and 4 D+ shows a year might be a bit too much. Audiences still love Marvel. Maybe we need to condense a little bit and maybe not EVERY little ancillary character should get their own tv show. I know some are excited for stuff like Agatha but...do we really need that? Do we need Echo? I dont want Marvel to end up diluting itself.

Also, I think now its time we start lifting the curtain a bit on what the next "Endgame" is. I think people are ready and eager to learn where all this is goin. Marvel's still got a hold on the mass movie going audience and people are invested in seeing the next big story. I didnt get an applause with this crowd but my audience for MoM cheered when the Marvel Studios logo popped up before the movie began. No other movie studio has that kind of power of ticket buyers but they need to continue earning that goodwill and continue giving people a reason to consider each of these movies events.

I think you might be right. 4 movies a year from Marvel alone is already a lot. When you then add 4 D+ shows on top of that then you're oversaturating the market. I'm still enjoying all of it myself but I think the GA will be overwhelmed at this pace.

I hope Feige lays out the plan for the future at SDCC and D23 for the GA. Because we potentially still have a few years' worth of wheel-spinning movies to get through. It's absolutely possible that movies like Wakanda Forever, Quantumania, The Marvels or Guardians 3 will set up the next big conflict (knowing Kang is in Quantumania it will probably be that one) but I think all of these will most likely be self-contained standalones. So what do we have coming after that? Blade, Captain America 4, Thunderbolts and Fantastic Four appear to be next. Other than Fantastic Four, I don't think the GA is clamoring for any of these (Blade will hopefully be great but I doubt it will tie into the next big MCU event). In 2025 Marvel needs to have some sort of a team-up movie (even if it isn't Secret Wars) or introduce the X-Men because right now 2024 is looking weak with the exception of Fantastic Four.

As long as their making at least a decent amount of money, I don't think they'll reexamine. Nor would I see a need for them to. McDonalds doesn't need to change the fries recipe if it is still selling

Until they start regularly make under 800 mill WW, they're gonna stay the course.
I do think they run the risk of losing some of the goodwill they've built up over the years if they keep releasing so many poorly reviewed and received (both with critics and the audience) movies or the films start feeling somewhat unimportant compared to their other offerings. There comes a time when they've got to deliver something good/special on a more consistent basis.

Look, there's the thing: Marvel is in danger of spreading itself too thin. 3-4 movies a year and 4 D+ shows a year might be a bit too much. Audiences still love Marvel. Maybe we need to condense a little bit and maybe not EVERY little ancillary character should get their own tv show. I know some are excited for stuff like Agatha but...do we really need that? Do we need Echo? I dont want Marvel to end up diluting itself.
Agatha and Echo are perfect examples of that. There's a reason why even in the comics, certain characters get multiple long runs/series while others get supporting roles or limited series. It sometimes feels like they're creating series just to keep people busy with the MCU in between the films and not doing the series because they're stories that actually need to be told. I wish they'd slow down the amount of productions they're doing to refocus on getting their film quality back up and more consistent.

If you ask me Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man/Tony Stark was the glue that held the entire MCU together. You can tell that his absence is very much felt.

Here is a perfect, once in a lifetime character to carry the whole thing and draw in crowds all by himself. The MCU was simply built around him.

He's gone now and there's just a gaping hole to be honest. Marvel will no doubt continue to scramble to find his replacement but Tom Holland's Peter Parker ain't it.

Right now no one is.

In the future people will really understand just how much lightning in a bottle that character truly was.

Last edited:
Agatha and Echo are perfect examples of that. There's a reason why even in the comics, certain characters get multiple long runs/series while others get supporting roles or limited series. It sometimes feels like they're creating series just to keep people busy with the MCU in between the films and not doing the series because they're stories that actually need to be told. I wish they'd slow down the amount of productions they're doing to refocus on getting their film quality back up and more consistent.

Honestly, this may be Disney's call. Disney's got arguably the hottest streaming app next to Netflix going and they need to keep original content rolling. So it might be the Disney overlords telling Feige "get us as many MCU shows as possible." Because I think if they had it their way there would ALWAYS be a new Marvel or Star Wars series in rotation. How long will it be before people get tired of either of those properties?

As much as I love Mahershala Ali, I'd add Blade to that list too

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"