Morbius Sony announces a Morbius movie in development!

Various comments over the years on this forum, twitter, comment sections. People are constantly talking for Marvel. With the result often be very different.
LOL.....so some random fans say this or that and "that's what the fans said"?!?!? I'll bet you I could find fans that think the COVID vaccine has a microchip in it and people are being given shots so Bill Gates can track them. Using that formula, "fans" could be said to have said "anything". I doubt there ever even WAS a prevailing view, at least amongst MCU fans, that even contained the S6 because most MCU fans were more focused on MCU owned characters. Feige made sure of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm a SM fans as long as I don't have to sit through another TASM2 and am also a Batman/WW/Supes/etc. fan. I just happen to be more in the MCU fold because I think they've done the best job in the genre.

Last edited:
Perhaps its the loudest in the room. But it seems like the majority hold to that viewpoint.
Maybe they meant a NWH type of movie??? I don't know. The thought never even occurred to me until recently. Maybe they were Spider-Man fans who wanted Feige to put more time, energy, and money into an IP owned by someone else. I think that would have been a rather stupid decision. The main point here, I think, is that what fans want or think isn't always very smart; or even relevant. What the fans, or some subsection of fans, think doesn't strike me as particularly relevant. Fans can say stupid things.....water is wet.....the sky is blue.

This was, well, it was a movie, just about. It has some entertaining parts and Leto was decent here. Though Matt Smith stole the show.

However, did they hire Stevie Wonder to edit this? So many scenes were incoherent or didn’t match what happened previously it was crazy. At one point Morbius commandeers a lab because his own is a police crime scene, then next minute he is back in his own lab anyway. And what gave him his powers the bats at the start or the serum? Or both?

Even my Aunt and Dad noticed it and they never notice stuff like that. And why was Morbius such a wuss? He gets his ass beaten by the villain every time. The look of Morbius was great, but he barely throws a punch in the movie. Very strangely put together movie. Which is a shame as the could have been something entertaining here.

4/10

This was, well, it was a movie, just about. It has some entertaining parts and Leto was decent here. Though Matt Smith stole the show.

However, did they hire Stevie Wonder to edit this? So many scenes were incoherent or didn’t match what happened previously it was crazy. At one point Morbius commandeers a lab because his own is a police crime scene, then next minute he is back in his own lab anyway. And what gave him his powers the bats at the start or the serum? Or both?

Even my Aunt and Dad noticed it and they never notice stuff like that. And why was Morbius such a wuss? He gets his ass beaten by the villain every time. The look of Morbius was great, but he barely throws a punch in the movie. Very strangely put together movie. Which is a shame as the could have been something entertaining here.

4/10

Leto is a very fine actor IMO, but has made some really head-shaking decisions. I would have watched this if I had missed the movie theater previews. I feel pretty sure I didn't miss much.

And watch it with comments about my man Stevie.... :argh: and don't go pulling out the same about my guy Ray Charles. :cwink:

Can someone explain to me why that stupid MorbiusSweep hashtag is still a thing? I keep seeing people post that and acting as if this movie was a success. Are they joking or are they Snyder Cult-levels of crazy?

Most are joking. It is basically kicking the film while it's down and mocking the few fans of the film that still are around. Some of the people include the Snyder Cultists who for some reason thought Morbius was going to be a big [bleep] you to WB or something...they thought it would be better and do better than The Batman.

I'm one of the people who would have liked Morbius to be good and successful. I don't go in for being a studio fanboy unless they are putting out good movies. As a recovering statistician, I have a tendency to follow numbers and analyze them (still recovering lol). I really wanted to like Morbius, but was completely put off by the previews. While not as severe as the 2nd weekend drop, I think it's looking like yet another big drop this weekend on top of the 74% drop last weekend. I could see it being in the range of 60%. That's unusually bad after a severe drop; especially given that the 1st weekend was just under 40M. You usually see the bigger drops with the bigger opening weeks.

It's too bad because, conceptually, it could have been a fun movie.

EDIT: For those of you who haven't calc'ed those 2nd and 3rd weekend drops out, that essentially equates to about a 90% drop in just the first 2 weekends after opening.

EDIT2: The drop ended up being 54% and not 60%. It looks like the 3rd WE will end up being slightly in excess of 4.5M and it played in about 3500 theaters. This works out to just under a 90% drop after 2 weeks. At 65M currently, I can't see how it grosses much in excess of 70M DOM. That's a multiplier of 1.75 for a movie that grossed 40M OW. Even with a reasonable 80M budget (not counting marketing costs), these are terrible numbers.

Honestly, I think Sony needs to pay a little more attention to creating quality movies and not be so lazy about it. I wonder if Venom, which performed pretty well at the BO despite having terrible reviews, got them in the mindset that they could pretty much throw anything Spidey related and make money on it.

Last edited:
I'm one of the people who would have liked Morbius to be good and successful. I don't go in for being a studio fanboy unless they are putting out good movies. As a recovering statistician, I have a tendency to follow numbers and analyze them (still recovering lol). I really wanted to like Morbius, but was completely put off by the previews. While not as severe as the 2nd weekend drop, I think it's looking like yet another big drop this weekend on top of the 74% drop last weekend. I could see it being in the range of 60%. That's unusually bad after a severe drop; especially given that the 1st weekend was just under 40M. You usually see the bigger drops with the bigger opening weeks.

It's too bad because, conceptually, it could have been a fun movie.

EDIT: For those of you who haven't calc'ed those 2nd and 3rd weekend drops out, that essentially equates to about a 90% drop in just the first 2 weekends after opening.

EDIT2: The drop ended up being 54% and not 60%. It looks like the 3rd WE will end up being slightly in excess of 4.5M and it played in about 3500 theaters. This works out to just under a 90% drop after 2 weeks. At 65M currently, I can't see how it grosses much in excess of 70M DOM. That's a multiplier of 1.75 for a movie that grossed 40M OW. Even with a reasonable 80M budget (not counting marketing costs), these are terrible numbers.

Honestly, I think Sony needs to pay a little more attention to creating quality movies and not be so lazy about it. I wonder if Venom, which performed pretty well at the BO despite having terrible reviews, got them in the mindset that they could pretty much throw anything Spidey related and make money on it.
Thanks for the research. I like analysing numbers too. Quality of films aside, I'm curious about how movies are marketed.

I find it odd that Sony didn't lean on Venom as a promotional tool. This character is there bread and butter. He's the Ironman of there pocket universe. I would have used him to boost the movies visibility. Might have even had him in Morbius as a co star.

I'm guessing they were more invested in the Disney Sony characters like Vulture, which I think was a mistake.

I mean they did have that "I am Venom" line in the trailer
{just to let people know it is set in the same world}

an the trailers were all tagged with the "from the studio that bought you VENOM"

but yes, using the Vulture twist as a marketing ploy was a mistake (it didn't make since in the context of the trailers... it barely made since in the context of the film)

I guess confusion was their marketing strategy here, they figure throw in as many out-of-context references as you can, and people well watch it in hopes of answers (which their really were none of in the actual movie lol)

if anything they should have just sold this as a generic Vampire/ horror style movie, and left the marvel connections as a plot twist... yes, fan's would know/suspect it was the marvel character based on the name, but the character isn't that big of a house-hold name for your average viewer/ GA to make that connection

the whole Vulture thing could have been a good surprise ending credit scene had it not already been revealed in the trailers

Last edited:
Hoping it will hit streaming soon. I want to see it but don’t want to pay “extra” for it

I think we might still get one but the budget won't be increased like is usual for sequels.
They are obviously saving him for whatever crossover they are planning with Vulture. This movie just screamed 1 and done, and the only way it would get a sequel if it does well as Venom. I think Sony somehow eXpected this but probably not 200 million worldwide. They could bring back Morbius for whatever they were teasing at the end of the movie.

It didn't even make 200 million. It's around 160 worldwide and I doubt it will make anything more now. We're talking about a gigantic flop.

It didn't even make 200 million. It's around 160 worldwide and I doubt it will make anything more now. We're talking about a gigantic flop.
Well, I disagree because it didn't cost a lot and because it could have made more and because.....uh....never mind....

A financial disappointment for the studio, no doubt. But it’s looking like the film will at least break even. (And one article suggested it might turn a modest profit based on negotiated pre-sales.) So if all this translates to “gigantic flop,” then we’ll need another term for movies that actually lose substantial money (e.g. Green Lantern). :cwink:

Selene's movie Underworld Awakening got a budget of $70 million and grossed over $160 million worldwide. It got a sequel, Underworld Blood Wars.

Sony has so many underperformers in the past which makes me question, why are they still making movies. But if they could make a bunch of Resident Evil and Underworld movies in the past, they could make eight more Marvel movies without Spider-Man, with a budget around 70 million. Kraven is probably cheaper and El Muerte is probably going to be the cheapest Marvel Sony movie. They won't cost as much as a Spider-Man movie.

However, the more we get movies like Morbius, won't help their strategy in the long run. Some people aren't just gonna bother by the 8th and 9th film. So imo, SSU feels temporary.

A financial disappointment for the studio, no doubt. But it’s looking like the film will at least break even. (And one article suggested it might turn a modest profit based on negotiated pre-sales.) So if all this translates to “gigantic flop,” then we’ll need another term for movies that actually lose substantial money (e.g. Green Lantern). :cwink:

I think it's essentially a BO flop. They were able to get back approximately the production budget with movie receipts. I don't think that counts in a marketing budget, but don't know how that all works. I'm sure there are other revenue sources that helped cover that, but they aren't in it to break even so, yeah, financial disappointment seems accurate also. The thing that stands out to me is that it had a multiplier just in excess of 1.75; which is terrible for a movie that opened just under 40M. "IF" a movie in the genre were to get a multiplier that low, they generally have huge openings and then fall off the table; at least that's what I think generally happens.

They are obviously saving him for whatever crossover they are planning with Vulture.

Ah, but obviously as per Multiverse of Madness we now know that
Vulture sticking around there is going to cause an incursion that destroys the entire Sony Spider-Man Universe :D

So, I finally got around to watching this and honestly, I didn't think it was all that bad. I was actually liking the first hour of it quite a bit, but then it kind of went off the rails IMO.

I don't really know how to explain it, but something just felt off about the last hour of this movie to me and think it has something to do with it feeling so rushed to get to that third act.

The finale was pretty weak though, but I did like Leto in the role for the most part and I really enjoyed Matt Smith's performance in this as a scenery chewing villain.

You could tell he was having fun the whole time he was onscreen which was nice, but Jarred Harris was criminally underused, and I still don't get why Tyrese, or the other cop were in this at all.

I also think it would have been if they went for the R-rating and didn't neuter the violence so much which got annoying after a while and the less said about those awful post credit scenes the better.

I hope we get Morbius 2 if only for the fact that Sony would make it self aware to the fact that the first one was a big joke online and definitely include the line "It's morbin' time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"