• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Spider-Man December 2007 Solicit

Webbing movie style... nothing wrong with that. Looks good here. :up:

Personally, being a purist I reckon there is a LOT wrong w/ movie style webbing on the red and blues. It's symptomatic of half of JQ's whole twisted outlook- that of trying to make 616 Spider-Man into movie Spider-Man.

okay it's understandable that it takes a while to get the asm 3 times a week up and running but still having OMD spread out over 3 months is quite annoying.

The long arcs of the eighties included Sin Eater, Sinister Syndicate. Gang War, Assasination Plot, and Kraven's Last Hunt, as a few examples. These were great arcs based on story and characterization that was spot on. Those were concise stories that did not piss on the past or lump extra baggage on Peter Parker that was so contrived that it later gets avoided a month after saying it's a fantastic addition/change. Those stories felt real, but Super-Heroic at the same time.

The arcs of today are lacking any hint that these writers/editors understand who Peter Parker and Spider-Man is in the first place.

The shock value tactics Stan Lee used on the covers of the first 200+ issues were gimmicks to get you to buy the read, yes, but they were mostly one shot issues or 2 parters that did not give Peter lame new powers he didn't need or mimic the movie powers because the comic creators decided to be slaves to the movie for an extra buck.

Please spare us any comparisons of Stan Lee to JMS/Alonzo/Quesada.

Go read 80's Spidey from start to finish again and then tell me these JMS plot devices fit anywhere near a Spider-Man comic.

I have read the comics in the 80's. I have them in boxes and on CD-ROM. Yeah, of course the mid to late 80's Spider-Man was awesome. They hit a good roll. But it's exactly what you're saying it is...it's from the 1980's.

What year is it now? 2007 and in just 3 months it'll be 2008 before you know it. So that's about 20 years ago that those storylines happened. Since then the character has gone through so much. And how do you keep writing a character, with this much of a rich history, without going back and repeating the same stories over and over and over again.

Of course some of JMS' Spider-Man run wasn't on par with, oh say...Kraven's Last Hunt. But JMS would be a hack if he wrote a storyline along the same lines of Kraven's Last Hunt. He did his own thing and I loved his totem storyline and the Ezekiel character. It was definitely a great storyline, in my opinion.

And I'll spare you nothing. This is my opinion and if you don't like it put me on ignore or don't read my posts. I'm not the one who personally insults a man because he doesn't make the decisions you want on your favorite ficitional character. There could be worse things in your life, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"