Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

trailer for episode 10.

Looks like an homage or remake
to balance of terror episode. You can see a romulan warbird in the trailer.

Last edited:
Sad to see Hemmer go, but he was given a good arc and a nice sendoff. Also, the actor knew this was the plan from the get-go. So at least this wasn't like some last-minute brash writing decision.

Sad to see Hemmer go, but he was given a good arc and a nice sendoff. Also, the actor knew this was the plan from the get-go. So at least this wasn't like some last-minute brash writing decision.
I didn't like his character in the beginning, but they toned him down alot in later episodes. One thing about Star Trek is they like to reuse actors, so the actor might come back as a new character.

Speaking of confusing rank insignia... Someone (via Twitter/TrekBBS) posted a "helpful" reference guide:

snw-ranks.jpg

:word:
To be fair, that is only accurate if we assume SNW is using the same stripes as the Kelvinverse films, which is not guaranteed because they changed the system from TOS already. We have not seen a full commander on SNW, so we don't know if they also have two full bars or something different.

Right now, until we see a full commander, it appears to me that SNW's ranks stripes work as follows:
Admiral: Shoulder boards/epaulettes instead of sleeve stripes
Captain: Two thick bars with thin bar between them
Commander: ?
Lt. Commander: Two thick bars
Lieutenant: One thick, one thin bar
Lieutenant Jr. Grade: One thick bar
Ensign: No stripes

Agreed. It was also awesome that they actually cast a blind actor to play a blind character. Great representation and very-Trek in philosophy.
hmm had no idea he was actually blind. Reminds me of the deaf guy from TNG
To be fair, that is only accurate if we assume SNW is using the same stripes as the Kelvinverse films, which is not guaranteed because they changed the system from TOS already. We have not seen a full commander on SNW, so we don't know if they also have two full bars or something different.

Right now, until we see a full commander, it appears to me that SNW's ranks stripes work as follows:
Admiral: Shoulder boards/epaulettes instead of sleeve stripes
Captain: Two thick bars with thin bar between them
Commander: ?
Lt. Commander: Two thick bars
Lieutenant: One thick, one thin bar
Lieutenant Jr. Grade: One thick bar
Ensign: No stripes
This last episode we get to see the crew with gold stripes which I think is better visually. Way easier to see the stripes.

hmm had no idea he was actually blind. Reminds me of the deaf guy from TNG

This last episode we get to see the crew with gold stripes which I think is better visually. Way easier to see the stripes.
Totally agree. The TOS-style gold stripes add a wonderful pop to the uniforms. The revised uniform dresses also look way better.

Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks have been nominated for the Hollywood Critics Awards.

To be fair, that is only accurate if we assume SNW is using the same stripes as the Kelvinverse films, which is not guaranteed because they changed the system from TOS already. We have not seen a full commander on SNW, so we don't know if they also have two full bars or something different...

Assuming consistency and internal logic… :ebr:

It seems like SNW (and the Kelvin timeline?) modified the classic TOS sleeve “braids” as rank insignia. And under this scheme, a single “unbroken” braid became a solid, thick “stripe”; and the “broken” braid became a solid thin “stripe.” Thus, Kirk wears “unbroken-broken-unbroken” to denote the rank of captain; and Pike wears the modified (but analogous) “thick-thin-thick.” So that’s fine. The problem continues to be the discrepancies vis-à-vis lieutenant j.g./lieutenant and lieutenant commander/commander.

As you suggest, it could be the case than none of the main characters holds the rank of full commander. Therefore, we’ve just never seen SNW’s version of that rank. :shrug:

Perhaps because it was set in the early days of Star Fleet, ST: ENT took a (wisely?) minimalist approach to rank insignia. So aboard ship, there were only four officer ranks: ensign (single pip); lieutenant (two pips); commander (three pips); captain (four pips). Not only was this easy to understand but it nicely avoided the lieutenant/lieutenant commander confusion which has tripped up many of the other Trek shows. With SNW, we’re back to confusion.

At any rate, SNW is clearly not using the rank insignia from “The Cage” or “Where No Man Has Gone Before.”

thecagehd2149.jpg

wherenomanhasgonebeforehd080.jpg

:word:

I only found the last episode to be good. Mostly because it was an alternate timeline. So there was no continuity or anything to mess up. It is too bad they came back so quick. I think they could've spend a few episodes next season exploring the Romulan War.

Perfect Star Trek. I just realised it’s been decades since we’ve seen any geek property do anything anti war. That’s very cool and it’s what Star Trek is all about

Just finished season 1. If CBS could give this show longer seasons that'd be fantastic. Shave a few episodes off Discovery if necessary.

Perfect Star Trek. I just realised it’s been decades since we’ve seen any geek property do anything anti war. That’s very cool and it’s what Star Trek is all about

I liked that they tried for peace while also recognizing that sometimes going for the kill is the best way to avoid war. There isnt always a neat and pascifist solution where everyone gets to go home.

Last edited:
Just finished season 1. If CBS could give this show longer seasons that'd be fantastic. Shave a few episodes off Discovery if necessary.

I liked that they tried for peace while also recognizing that sometimes going for the kill is the best way to avoid war. There isnt always a neat and pascifist solution where everyone gets to go home.

Discovery is way too long and doesn't have interesting enough storylines to sustain that many episodes. They feel very drawn out for the sake of it. They could cut down on them and give the extra ones to SNW, especially since this series goes much quicker.

Given they have wrapped on season 2, we will probably get a little something, if not an effects heavy trailer. Probably similar to the cast reveal.

Somehow I forgot this got a second season. Considering the pseudo-cliffhanger they left it on I should have remembered that. We already know roughly where certain characters will or will not be in 7 or so years so a few of them are quite safe from peril.

Still, a good finale and overall a really nice return to the Star Trek of old. It somehow feels like it is even more TOS than TOS was.

I wonder if we will get more What If episodes like the 1st season finale. It's a good way to avoid time travel.

Last edited:
Well, that is an excellent first season. I acknowledge that objectively, it is probably better than DS9's first season, but my heart can't take best first season from DS9.

Now, onto Picard, probably rewatch Lower Decks before season 3. Then mix in Discovery with Prodigy and Evil.

even tho I only saw the first episode I find this show is closer to TOS then all of the "Kelvin trilogy" of movies. I also like the way the Enterprise looks WAY more than the movies and ditto the sets and costumes, and some of the casting.

Great set they are adding. As great as Pike's captains table is, this is perfect for those times without Pike. Based on TNG, DS9, and Lower Decks, this set should be used often.

Well they got replicators now so I guess Pike can stop cooking so much. Going to be interesting seeing that glass over the bar shatter when they enter combat. Seems like they are trying to make this more like Picard's enterprise and not Kirk's. They were different in scale and necessity.

Well they got replicators now so I guess Pike can stop cooking so much. Going to be interesting seeing that glass over the bar shatter when they enter combat. Seems like they are trying to make this more like Picard's enterprise and not Kirk's. They were different in scale and necessity.
It's all a Talosian illusion. Pike has already had the accident, the events of "The Menagerie" have already happened, and Vina is guiding Pike through the 5 stages of grief (season 1 was stage 1, denial).

Jess Bush looks enough like Susan Oliver (as in not really, but similar enough to recast one with the other) that I'd guess Chapel is Vina's role in the illusion. Vina, of course, is very smart (raised by scientists) and probably has a deeply personal interest in and knowledge of medical matters such as the type of instant retroviral cosmetic surgery that Chapel (who never showed such expertise in TOS) performed in 1x01.

If we don't at least get an episode where Pike wonders if his current stage of life is all an illusion, I'll be disappointed.

It's all a Talosian illusion. Pike has already had the accident, the events of "The Menagerie" have already happened, and Vina is guiding Pike through the 5 stages of grief (season 1 was stage 1, denial).

Jess Bush looks enough like Susan Oliver (as in not really, but similar enough to recast one with the other) that I'd guess Chapel is Vina's role in the illusion. Vina, of course, is very smart (raised by scientists) and probably has a deeply personal interest in and knowledge of medical matters such as the type of instant retroviral cosmetic surgery that Chapel (who never showed such expertise in TOS) performed in 1x01.

If we don't at least get an episode where Pike wonders if his current stage of life is all an illusion, I'll be disappointed.
That is a great idea. It also helps to explain why so much is wrong with the crew, ship, and just their interactions. It's an alien species interpretation of Starfleet. That idea would change my view on the show, throw in a way to wipe out discovery as well and you got a deal. I still cling to the hope it is just an alternate timeline since they messed with time already in discovery and that introduced Pike to begin with. Still the Talosian thing would really help to explain why Spock is so off from his TOS character. They saw Spock but weren't really aware of Vulcan culture just the bits and pieces they read in the crews mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"