General Trek Talk Official Star Trek Discussion Thread

Happy Birthday to Rosalind Chow
1695499911227.png

Her episode of the “asians of Star Trek“ podcast was my favourite. I wish we could see more of her as Keiko

I hope one day we see Kim Kardashian cast as a Cardassian.

Appeared in many episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise as Vulcan Ambassador Soval.

ah what a shame. that would have been cool to see

I've just accepted at this point that Star Trek isn't going to do anything original or interesting at any point for the foreseeable future. I'm not some anti-modern Trek crusader, I'm not one of Those People, but it's all pretty... Insular and tacky to me. Such a shame, Hawley is the exact kind of creator I want on Trek.

I've just accepted at this point that Star Trek isn't going to do anything original or interesting at any point for the foreseeable future. I'm not some anti-modern Trek crusader, I'm not one of Those People, but it's all pretty... Insular and tacky to me. Such a shame, Hawley is the exact kind of creator I want on Trek.
Yep, Hawley's film actually sounded interesting, unlike everything else Trek-related in the past 20 years. The focus on reboots and prequels is exhausting, and it doesn't seem like Kurtzman is interested in exploring anything new. Even Lower Decks, the best of the new Trek shows, is just an overly-hyper nostalgic rehash of past series. They just started shooting a new movie and I have zero hype for it.

I still think they’re doing new stuff with Discovery even though that’s wrapping up. It’s just hard because a lot of people weren’t around for the original 60s tv series so you have to reintroduce the world again. Plus, if you’re asking for $150 mill for a movie people want better brand awareness. So it makes sense for a big movie.

I don’t think it’s the end of new in Star Trek

Star Trek shouldn't need $150 million per film, though. The most expensive Trek film before Abrams was Nemesis and that was only $60 million. Adjusting for inflation that's still just $100 million. Trek is clearly a niche franchise compared to other big properties. Beyond bombed and yet it made $335 million, more than double the highest grossing non-Kelvin film. Paramount needs to stop chasing Star Wars & Marvel numbers and budget accordingly.

Star Trek shouldn't need $150 million per film, though. The most expensive Trek film before Abrams was Nemesis and that was only $40 million. Adjusting for inflation that's still just $67 million. Trek is clearly a niche franchise compared to other big properties. Beyond bombed and yet it made $335 million, more than double the highest grossing non-Kelvin film. Paramount needs to stop chasing Star Wars & Marvel numbers and budget accordingly. There's no reason a Star Trek film should cost more than $80 million.

Paramount does not want it to look like a canadian produced sci fi show. The Star Trek shows are still SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than what Marvel and LFL are pumping out. I think you really need to see just how much $80 million buys you in terms of sci fi films.

Paramount does not want it to look like a canadian produced sci fi show. The Star Trek shows are still SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than what Marvel and LFL are pumping out. I think you really need to see just how much $80 million buys you in terms of sci fi films.
I corrected the numbers in my post, Nemesis actually cost $60 million ($100 million today).

Ad Astra cost $80 million, Passengers, The Martian & Ender's Game cost $110 million.

That’s an interesting point. I’m not an accountant so I don’t know how much these types of films cost. Honestly I kind of love Star Trek as a series more than movies.

but that said, cheap and nasty but character driven does sound fun. I mean, Godzilla minus one was made for like five bucks

I'm feeling a bit that way also. The most enjoyable piece of Trek media I've seen lately was Picard S3, and that's because they revisited the TNG cast & ship - so it was mostly sentimentality behind it.

I really want to see a new Trek with a big time jump. And I don't mean like the 930-year one they did in Discovery, because that was still essentially the Discovery crew and their ship in a more futuristic environment - I mean a wholly new crew set far in the future, with a new highly advanced ship, new villains, new everything. I don't know if that can happen now because of Discovery's time jump though - unless they go far beyond that era 930 years ahead, they'd have to keep everything canon in line with the Discovery timelines and that will restrict what can be done.

I think that's the only way a Star Trek show could really give a sense of originality and exploration like TOS did when it appeared from nowhere in the 60s. TNG, DS9, Voyager, SNW - all great, but also hugely familiar and treading similar paths.

...I really want to see a new Trek with a big time jump. And I don't mean like the 930-year one they did in Discovery, because that was still essentially the Discovery crew and their ship in a more futuristic environment - I mean a wholly new crew set far in the future, with a new highly advanced ship, new villains, new everything.
A far future setting avoids many story continuity issues — because you’re inventing a new continuity.

But IMO, it can also be problematic with respect to highly advanced technology. For example, with Discovery’s 1000-year time jump, it seemed (to me) there were two main issues: 1) The tech was so advanced that it appeared “magical” and tended to rob the narrative of suspense or peril. 2) The tech wasn’t advanced enough. I.e., given a thousand years, it seemed like certain problems and obstacles should have been already solved.

I think the sci-fi aspects of Trek receive too much attention, the best incarnations are always about the characters and putting them through moral and philosophical dilemmas. I don't think a time jump is necessary, just set it after Picard and give us a cast to care about with good writing for a change. I never got the chance to find out if Discovery's cast was any good because the writing was absolutely atrocious so I never even finished the first season.

I would actually totally love a next gen movie with the current cast. It was such a delight to see everyone together during Picard

That looks super cute! I’ll definitely check it out

I can feel the internet rage radiating off this.

This might be a really dumb question, but -

Are the new Paramount Plus Star Trek shows in canon with prior Star Trek shows (outside of Picard)? If so, what ones? Or is it Kelvin or some other timeline entirely?

Going to watch the original, next generation, and wondering if Enterprise, D9, etc. are connected to the new shows or not. (Also, are there callbacks to Enterprise and D9, etc. in the Piccard show since that’s a continuation of TNG?)

Are the new Paramount Plus Star Trek shows in canon with prior Star Trek shows (outside of Picard)? If so, what ones? Or is it Kelvin or some other timeline entirely?

Going to watch the original, next generation, and wondering if Enterprise, D9, etc. are connected to the new shows or not. (Also, are there callbacks to Enterprise and D9, etc. in the Piccard show since that’s a continuation of TNG?)
Yes, they are all connected to the main Star Trek timeline (this is part of why Discovery was/is so contentious for some fans).

Star Trek: Discovery once mentioned Captain Jonathan Archer (who would have served in Starfleet some hundred years earlier). And in season 2 of Disco, there was an entire storyline involving Christopher Pike and Spock — including a flashback to original footage from “The Cage” with Jeffrey Hunter and Leonard Nimoy. And that storyline, in turn, begat Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

So more-or-less all connected. And more-or-less from the original timeline.

Star Trek: Discovery once mentioned Captain Jonathan Archer (who would have served in Starfleet some hundred years earlier). And in season 2 of Disco, there was an entire storyline involving Christopher Pike and Spock — including a flashback to original footage from “The Cage” with Jeffrey Hunter and Leonard Nimoy. And that storyline, in turn, begat Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

So more-or-less all connected. And more-or-less from the original timeline.
I know that DISCOVERY is supposed to be in the same timeline, but I personally think of it as being a parallel universe.

They're all canon now baby. The best part is, with Lower Decks being canon, that thus makes TAS canon.

SPOCK 2 IS CANON!!!! (and dead)

Thanks for all the answers. Going to start with Enterprise and go basically chronologically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"