General Trek Talk Official Star Trek Discussion Thread

Warhammer said:
The only Trek films I don't like are 1 and 3.
4 and especially 5 were cool because they were funny.
The first movie was exceptionally boring.

Id say Wrath Of Kahn is my favourite trek movie closely followed by First Contact

My favorite series is TNG. The cast can characters that that series had was incredibly good and things were still new and interesting.

My favorite movie would be First contact, followed by Wrath of Kahn.

I tend to alternate between TNG and Voyager for my favourite trek series. Usually just depends what mood im in.

First Contact is my favourite movie in the series.

I had high expectations for First Contact, but in the end, I was disappointed. My complaints were: Why did there have to be a queen? Why couldn't all the Borg transport themselves to all areas of the Enterprise and start assimilating them (begining with the bridge personnel)? Why did they have to spend sooooo much time on Earth? I loved the fight between the Borg and Federation, Worf coming back and even the Dr. from Voyager making a cameo.

Well there had to be a queen because Picard really needed a Nemesis for the movie and Data needed someone to talk to properly, you wouldnt be able to do that with the normal Borg.

Also the crew of the Enterprise had proven themselves at fighting the Borg more than any crew (Voyager hadnt met the Borg at this point), the Borg made sure they would have a strong powerbase first before starting to move on. Their objective was never to assimilate the crew or even take over the entire ship, just to contact the rest of the collective.

Plus the original script for the movie had Riker going back up to the Enterprise to fight the Borg and Picard stayed on Earth so most of the movie would have been on the planet.

I've seen all the series, and I have to say DS9 is my favorite. I loved the larger story arcs, the Dominion War and Captain Sisko was a fascinating character. I loved the way they melded religion, politics, war and personal stories into coherent stories.

I liked DS9 but I wasnt a big fan of the religious parts. Also I dont like Avery Brooks acting.

My only complaint with the movie First Contact is that after all the encounters with the Borg, one would imagine that the Federation would've commissioned an anti-Borg weaponry with projectile balistics as standard issue in all vessels instead of energy weapons.

Happenstance said:
I liked DS9 but I wasnt a big fan of the religious parts. Also I dont like Avery Brooks acting.

Sometimes I thought he was sensational (In the episode where he is playing Benny Sisko, a 50's sci-fi writer), but at other times he was bland as hell. The episode in season six where he was narrating to the audience, that pissed me off so much. If you're going to do that, you need an actor with charisma, and Avery just couldn't pull it off.

On the subject of the films, I love 2, 6, 8, like 3, 4, 5, 7, and dislike 1, 9, 10. I'm glad the people posting here don't all hate 5, which gets slated so much... I just really liked seeing the Enterprise all broken and faulty :D

Danger Mouse said:
The first movie was exceptionally boring.

funny though, my favorite is Search For Spock. II and III were the only 2 startrek movies with a really moving emotional plot IMO. I mean Spock dying was a tear jerker. But stealing the enterprise, only to destroy her, then put spocks brain back in his head was so much better. Love III

*bump*

For UK hype users, www.play.com Is having a sale on the complete boxsets:

TNG - £199.99
DS9 - £299.99
VOY - £373.99
ENT - £199.99

Movies (1-9) - £67.99

And they also have pre-ordering available of the individual boxsets, ala

the Time Travel Collection - £27.99

and that includes ten episodes, two of which are series finales (TNG and VOY). There are other collections, such as:

Klingon Collection and q Collection - Both £27.99

Here's a link: http://play.com/DVD/DVD/6-/Search.html?searchstring=star+trek&searchtype=r2title&cpage=1

Im just waiting to hear now if the other trek series are gonna be released in slimline dvd form like TNG recently has, its so much easier than those big boxsets and unfortunately I cant afford to buy the complete ones.

Teaser Poster for Star Trek XI has been released:

startrekxi.jpg

I quite like that, but does that mean they're going with the young Kirk idea?? :down

And i'm also hoping they release DS9 in slimline... otherwise i'm shelling out for the complete set at x-mas... even tho i have season 6 already :(

I do like the poster but it is looking like the young Kirk and Spock idea is going ahead which i really dont like :(

Poo :( I was, for some reason, hoping for a film where they maybe merged TNG and DS9, in as much as some of th DS9-ers joined the TNG crew, now that Riker has left and such... ho hum.

If we couldnt get people from past trek series I would have liked a movie which cast relative unknowns that could be spun off into a new trek series after the movie.
I still think it should be set in the TNG/DS9/VOY era as I dont like going backwards and going ahead in time might be too much of a jump.

I can't really see anyone but Shatner and Nimoy playing Kirk and Spock. Unless whoever is playing them can actually make me believe that they are William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, i'll probobly be disapointed.

Well Matt Damon is supposed to be in the lead to play Kirk apparently :S

This fell all the way back to page three... i'll bump it so people who want to discuss star trek can find it easily :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"