General Trek Talk Star Trek: Equality?

Roughneck

Avenger
Reaction score
So....I am watching "Trekkies" on Space right now and everyone is talking about how Star Trek is all about equality in the future......Races mingle freely without racism, Females can be Captain, ....stuff like that.

So I have to ask...and I'm serious....where are the midgets?

Never have I ever seen a midget on Star Trek....at least one that wasn't playing an alien or something.

So Can someone tell me if there was ever a midget in Star Fleet?

In the future they can cure being a midget?

Midgets can't reach the consoles on starships?

Midgets emigrated and formed their own midget society on a distant planet, where they live in tiny midget houses and drive tiny midget cars?

Midgets are secretly running the federation as a shadow midget government (planning the takeover since the 1800s)?

There are so many possibilites.

My guess is they've wiped out the defect that causes people to be midgets/dwarves/little people

They banned that sort of thing. As drawfism is a genetic condition.

a mdiget klingon is a definate possibility for future Trek franchises I hope. There would be nothing more entertaining

Oerwinde said:
My guess is they've wiped out the defect that causes people to be midgets/dwarves/little people

That sounds right. You rarely see people in wheelchairs or with Downs Syndrome on Star Trek. Although, most of the ship does seem to be handicapped accessible. Except for those Jeffries Tubes. Those might be tough to maneuver.

Superfreak said:
a mdiget klingon is a definate possibility for future Trek franchises I hope. There would be nothing more entertaining

Oh wow...that'd be the most awesome thing ever. IT MUST BE DONE!! Make it so!

Super Mark said:
That sounds right. You rarely see people in wheelchairs or with Downs Syndrome on Star Trek. Although, most of the ship does seem to be handicapped accessible. Except for those Jeffries Tubes. Those might be tough to maneuver.

You have Captain pike to thank for that.

I would also Love to see

Star Trek: Grubach Lonely Midget Klingon Warrior

You never saw a ****** on there either.

Edit; wait, Janeway was a captain, but other than her.

Well that one I assumed that they had found a way to destroy that genetic abnormality....Midgets I just kinda figured would still be around.

No, I would agree that it's a condition 23rd century science has found a way to cure.

Roughneck said:
So....I am watching "Trekkies" on Space right now and everyone is talking about how Star Trek is all about equality in the future......Races mingle freely without racism, Females can be Captain, ....stuff like that.

So I have to ask...and I'm serious....where are the midgets?

Never have I ever seen a midget on Star Trek....at least one that wasn't playing an alien or something.

So Can someone tell me if there was ever a midget in Star Fleet?

They're there. You just can't see them because they're below the camera veiw.

---

okay that was a little harsh.

A midget captain would be a cool thing to see.

I just watched Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home.....They went back in time to the 70s or 80s or something............No Midgets there either.

SouLeSS said:
You never saw a ****** on there either.

Edit; wait, Janeway was a captain, but other than her.

Cough, cough, Deep Space Nine, One of the last seasons. After Bashir had been exposed and accepted as a genetically engineered superman, he made some friends who were of the same 'construction'. Most of them could have been considered ******ed in someway or another. Yet, when they combined their minds like voltron, they were able to calculate the outcome of the war (although, it seems they were wrong).

I'm talking straight "durhhhh dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *drool drool*" ******s. Not "We have an IQ of 59 so technically we're ******ed" ******s.

Or someone with Downs Syndrome.

I think that's what he meant.

Roughneck said:
Or someone with Downs Syndrome.

I think that's what he meant.

well, if people of the star trek universe have the ability to create genetic superhumans, like Khan, or Bashir, then it's pretty plausible, that they also have the technology, to spot, and adjust genetic abnormalities which would cause psychological, and physical oddities, so that they would no longer affect the population. I think it's safe to assume, although I don't think it has been stated in the show, that they can cure these ailments.

So I've been thinking again....and I saw no need to make a new thread as it fits here too.

What about Gays? To my knowledgeI can't think of any homosexual characters on Star Trek? I know there have been MANY Gay actors on the show, but I cannot think of any Gay Characters.

Am I wrong? Or does Rodenberry have something agains Handicaps, Midgets and Gays.

OH and in argumnt to the argument that in the 23rd Century they may have a cure for Downs Syndrome and and Midgitism, why did we still never see them on planets they've visited that weren't part of the federation, they visited many planets that were years behind them, years behind even us in this day and age, yet no Midgets.

Anyway I also wonder about the gays.

probably at the time, it wasn't as big of a deal as it is today...

........Well there have been a lot of Star Trek Shows after the first one.....ones made in this day and age.

Love the Angry Godzilla Avy BTW.

Roughneck said:
........Well there have been a lot of Star Trek Shows after the first one.....ones made in this day and age.

Love the Angry Godzilla Avy BTW.
that's true... if anything, I would see it be brought up in maybe Enterprise, but not as much as in the TNG, DS9, or Voyager... The premis of Star Trek is showing of a world that has evolved and advanced so far that any illness, disease, poverty, hunger, and others have been abolished on earth, paving the way towards perfection, whatever that may be.

and thanks, I'm thinking of changing it soon...

It is a genetic disorder. No one would choose to be a midget. Chances are by whatever year it is set in (2500 something, right?) they have mapped out human genetics and are able to eliminate faulty ones.

And on the note of equality, it is very true. Star Trek was revolutionary in that sense.

Think about it, in the 60s in the midst of the cold war and civil rights movement you had not only a woman, but a black woman as a high ranking officer on this ship as well as a Russian. You have no idea the kind of social statement that was at the time.

Another shocking feature of the show is that it was pretty much a promotion of communism.

Roughneck said:

I seem to recall a lesbian kiss with Dax on DS9.

slinger said:
I seem to recall a lesbian kiss with Dax on DS9.

I also seem to remember Riker getting into it with a gender neutral species

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"