Picard Star Trek: Picard - General Discussion Thread

The suggestions made are very good. I would also tell you that the TNG films are, with the exception of First Contact, much weaker than the series during its prime and if you are enjoying these characters, its better episodes are head and shoulders above the movies.

So the borg were hoping Picard had a kid, or because he had a kid Jack is the side effect?

With it being a week before Star Trek: Picard Finale I thought I’ll do what I do best and make a List. So each day I’m going to do #BaggersTop5 of the TNG Crew’s Best Episodes (in my opinion of course)

Data:

➡️

5) Data's Day
4) Redemption II
3) The Measure Of A Man
2) The Offspring

Honourable Mentions:

*The Naked Now
*Datalore
*Elementary, Dear Data
*Pen Pals
*The Ensigns of Command
*The Most Toys
*Brothers
*In Theory
*Hero Worship
*The Quality of Life
*Descent Part 1 and 2
*Phantasms
*Inheritance
*Thine Own Self

1) Time's Arrow Part 1 and 2

I mean, you can certainly understand the gist of the Picard S3 storyline by watching some specific episodes, but honestly I'd recommend you just watch the entire run of TNG. The dynamics and capabilities of the cast are what made that show so good and this fed into the comraderies of their characters, the sense of belief in the audience that these guys always have each others back - and I don't think you'll get the sense of that from just a few episodes and movies. It evolved hugely as TNG went from season to season.

I found a clean timeline, didn't know all of TNG took place pre-Generations. Figured the latter couple seasons took place around/between the TNG films.

... > TV (Paramount+)
... + Film (HBOmax & Parmount+)

2151 - 2156
> Star Trek | Enterprise [season 1]
> Star Trek | Enterprise [season 2]
> Star Trek | Enterprise [season 3]
> Star Trek | Enterprise [season 4]

2256 - 2257
> Star Trek | Discovery [Season 1]
> Star Trek | Discovery [Season 2]

> Star Trek | Strange New Worlds

2259.KELVIN
+ Star Trek
+ Star Trek Into Darkness

2263.KELVIN
+ Star Trek Beyond

2265 - 2269
> Star Trek [Season 1]
> Star Trek [Season 2]
> Star Trek [Season 3]

+ Star Trek

+ Star Trek - The Wrath Of Khan
+ Star Trek - The Search For Spock

+ Star Trek - The Voyage Home

+ Star Trek - The Final Frontier

+ Star Trek - The Undiscovered Country

2364 - 2370
> Star Trek | The Next Generation [Season 1]
> Star Trek | The Next Generation [Season 2]
> Star Trek | The Next Generation [Season 3]
> Star Trek | The Next Generation [Season 4]
> Star Trek | The Next Generation [Season 5]
> Star Trek | The Next Generation [Season 6]
> Star Trek | The Next Generation [Season 7]

+ Star Trek - Generations

+ Star Trek - First Contact

+ Star Trek - Insurrection

+ Star Trek - Nemesis

2399 - 2401
> Star Trek | Picard [Season 1]
> Star Trek | Picard [Season 2]
> Star Trek | Picard [Season 3]

3188-3190
> Star Trek | Discovery [Season 3]
> Star Trek | Discovery [Season 4]
> Star Trek | Discovery [Season 5]

Once I finish Nemesis, I'll jump head strong into TNG... then do Picard.

After that, start at the beginning and go through it all.

Especially since I only watched the 6 original films alongside commentaries (Blank Check - Patreon).

Last edited:
Currently on Season 5 of TNG rewatch (almost finished it) probably the fastest rewatch I've done with a series this long. I forgot so many episodes. Pretty much love anything where Data & Worf are centric characters. But honestly, love the whole cast. It truly is a special series, at least to me. I've watched almist every Star Trek series, bar Enterprise and Discovery, and I plan on watching Enterprise after I re-watch DS9 and Voyager.

I found a clean timeline, didn't know all of TNG took place pre-Generations. Figured the latter couple seasons took place around/between the TNG films.

... > TV (Paramount+)

2151 - 2156

2256 - 2257

2259.KELVIN
+ Star Trek

2263.KELVIN
+ Star Trek Beyond

2265 - 2269
> Star Trek [Season 1]
> Star Trek [Season 2]
> Star Trek [Season 3]

+ Star Trek

2364 - 2370

+ Star Trek - Nemesis

2399 - 2401

3188-3190

Especially since I only watched the 6 original films alongside commentaries (Blank Check - Patreon).
Warning, Nemesis is really, really bad as is most of TNG seasons 1 and 2. With the exception of some wonderful hidden gems in season 2 (Elementary, Dead Data, The Measure of a Man, Q Who etc.), season 3 is where the show finds its stride.

Warning, Nemesis is really, really bad as is most of TNG seasons 1 and 2. With the exception of some wonderful hidden gems in season 2 (Elementary, Dead Data, The Measure of a Man, Q Who etc.), season 3 is where the show finds its stride.
I'm watching Insurrection right now... it's very boring. Plus, their leaning a bit too much into the goofier aspects.

Riker and Picard are so horny in this - lol.

These ambien hippies are not interesting, do really like the stretchy face dudes.

I'm watching Insurrection right now... it's very boring. Plus, their leaning a bit too much into the goofier aspects.

Riker and Picard are so horny in this - lol.

These ambien hippies are not interesting, do really like the stretchy face dudes.
I was going to warn you about Insurrection as well, but didn't want to scare you off the franchise too much. Generally speaking, for me, Trek works best on the small screen when the stakes don't need to be so high. It gives them more freedom to tell unique and different stories.

I was going to warn you about Insurrection as well, but didn't want to scare you off the franchise too much. Generally speaking, for me, Trek works best on the small screen when the stakes don't need to be so high. It gives them more freedom to tell unique and different stories.
The directing is really solid overall, though...

Also, Dooku's ship is in this. Those AOTC designers must have had this on VHS.

I actually didn't mind Season 1-2 as much as I originally did. I will agree Season 3 is when the show starts picking up though. A lot of the episodes you listed are definitely the better ones.

I can't even remember the movies, I guess I will attempt to watch them after I'm done with the series haha

My twitter feed has accidentally become a Trek/Picard feed with my watch-a-longs with the films.

...really making me want to jump into this show after I finish Nemesis, but I'm going to be smart and wait it out to get the full TNG ride.

FuFmkpPXwAAT4a5

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, but not... I'm new to Trek - watch the 6 original films last fall with Blank Check's Commentaries and this show all over my twitter has got me watching TNG films.

You might find these these websites useful (at the cost of spoilers, of course) when the show refers to an unfamiliar event or character:
  • Memory Alpha contains plot summaries and production details for all of the Star Trek series and movies and more. It's like the Tropes site in its ability to capture a reader's attention for hours at a time, so be warned.
  • Chakoteya has transcripts for most of the productions (excluding some of the most recent).

... > TV (Paramount+)

2151 - 2156

2256 - 2257

2259.KELVIN
+ Star Trek

2263.KELVIN
+ Star Trek Beyond

2265 - 2269
> Star Trek [Season 1]
> Star Trek [Season 2]
> Star Trek [Season 3]

+ Star Trek

2364 - 2370

+ Star Trek - Nemesis

2399 - 2401

3188-3190

Here's a visual timeline for you
EqMsdU0XMAACy7G.jpg
If you plan on watching all the shows, I wouldn't follow the timeline though. Go by the actual release order. By that I mean I wouldn't start with Enterprise. Best to start from the beginning. The Original Series is 3 seasons. It is also known simply as Star Trek, or TOS. Then The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and then Enterprise which is the prequel show.

If you just want to watch Picard related stuff to get into the Picard series then TNG is where to start. Although you might end up not liking this nutrek version after watching the Rodenberry Picard in TNG. TNG Picard is still the best version of the character. Kirk actually is quite good as a tv and movie version though.

The directing is really solid overall, though...

Also, Dooku's ship is in this. Those AOTC designers must have had this on VHS.
They are one and the same. ILM did the TNG movie effects. John Knoll, the VFX Supervisor on the prequels, made his name on the TNG movies. First Contact includes ILM's last great physical model effects before CGI came to dominate.

By the way, for my own TNG rewatch, I found a great episode guide that can help you skip the weaker season 1 and 2 episodes:
https://reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/w/algernonguide_tng?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

With it being a week before Star Trek: Picard Finale I thought I’ll do what I do best and make a List. So each day I’m going to do #BaggersTop5 of the TNG Crew’s Best Episodes (in my opinion of course)

William T. Riker:

➡️

5) A Matter Of Honor
4) Second Chances
3) Frame of Mind
2) The Pegasus

Honourable Mentions:

*Hide And Q
*The Icarus Factor
*A Matter of Perspective
*Future Imperfect
*First Contact
*The Outcast
*Schisms

1) The Best of Both Worlds Part I and II

Absolutely perfect ending and
yes absolutely have set up star trek legacy jack even said the world legacy when talking to seven. I can almost guarantee they will anounce it in the next few days
just an amazing season, and looking forward to whats coming.

I thought the finale…the entire season, really…was a beautiful “goodbye” to some old friends. Personally, my heart is full, and I am very satisfied.

I think it fell apart, after the reveal it all wrapped up effortlessly. We had some pretty big stakes and it didn't seem too challenging after all. It was like they were rushing to finish, which is strange since 2 episodes seemed to just stretch.

I still want to know what happened to the Enterprise E and was Worf sporting 4 pips for capt rank but was wearing yellow instead of red like he wore on the last seasons of DS9

I loved the finale personally! It was a great send off for the TNG characters.

Please let Terry Matalas get his own Trek series I would honestly love for it to be set far enough in the future where it has little ties to any other series with all new characters.

...like seeing all of you happy w/ s3 and the finale, excited to get to it 'soon' or in a few months.

I finished Nemesis, which I thought was pretty solid. Don't understand the frustration with it, when The Final Frontier and Insurrection exist.

Here are my film rankings;
The Voyage Home
Star Trek
Generations
First Contact
The Wrath Of Khan
The Undiscovered Country
Nemesis
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Motion Picture
The Search For Spock
Star Trek Beyond