Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

Toy Story wasn't like Buffy.

Beth Schwartz wrote and was EP on Arrow. Now she writes and is EP on Sweet Tooth. Is that a CW show?

Greys Anatomy did a musical. Is that a CW show?

Henry Alonso Myers wrote 20 charmed s7 episodes. Does SNW feel like a Charmed show, especially s7 where the quality was LOW.

Davy Perez wrote over 50 Supernatural episodes. I don't feel like im watching Sam/Dean.

Akiva Goldsman was EP on Titans...which was a mess. He's now ep on SNW, far from a mess.

I never saw Sweet Tooth, Grey’s Anatomy, Supernatural, or Charmed, so no idea what they are like. I have seen most of the Superhero shows though. Like Smallville, Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, Superman & Lois, and Legends of Tomorrow. I also saw most of Titans.

Sometimes the banter on this show does remind me of Supergirl or one of the Arrowverse shows. But when it is really bad it reminds me of Legends of Tomorrow. I saw a clip of Spock eating bacon and thought, this reminds me of Kara (Supergirl) when she would eat food sometimes.

You have numerous writers and a producer from the CW on this show. Now you add a musical which the CW loved doing. So, I don't think it is baseless in comparing the two. Also no one forces you to respond to anything I post. This post is obviously different because I quoted you, so a response is expected but not guaranteed. You can do whatever you want, I don’t care. There are plenty of people who just like to comment and not quote or reply. I figure they don’t want to discuss and just want to chime in. So I don’t feel the need to respond always to them.

So, I only came to revisit my old post about this show "being like the CW" after I was told there is a musical episode coming out now. So, if you don't want to discuss it with me, don't quote me and I won't respond to you. But don't forget this is an open forum and this is a general forum for the show. So, when there is some news about the show, I might feel like posting. So, I will post what I want, where I want, within the guidelines of the forum.
4e1c804e81a9ddc7876db413b62ce4eaff6bfb99.gifv

Check the moderator list for this subforum, I am the forum "guidelines" around here.

When someone comes around and is a constant contrarian on a board, it makes us suspect that they are intentionally being inflammatory and being a troll. And well, we don't abide trolls around here.

Not saying that you are, which is why I nicely suggested you move along, but if you don't heed friendly advice from a mod, that might change our appraisal....

I really don't get the CW comparison at all. Re-watching some TNG this year and the similarity of the energy is profound. Is exactly the same? No. But it's very similar.

Why I think SNW and LD are so damn good, is they walk that tightrope of feeling like classic Trek, while still being inviting for new fans. I don't know what world a musical episode is "out of bounds" for a series, that literally had a Sherlock homes episode. :funny:

I really don't get the CW comparison at all. Re-watching some TNG this year and the similarity of the energy is profound. Is exactly the same? No. But it's very similar.

Why I think SNW and LD are so damn good, is they walk that tightrope of feeling like classic Trek, while still being inviting for new fans. I don't know what world a musical episode is "out of bounds" for a series, that literally had a Sherlock homes episode. :funny:

I never saw Sweet Tooth, Grey’s Anatomy, Supernatural, or Charmed, so no idea what they are like. I have seen most of the Superhero shows though. Like Smallville, Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, Superman & Lois, and Legends of Tomorrow. I also saw most of Titans.

Sometimes the banter on this show does remind me of Supergirl or one of the Arrowverse shows. But when it is really bad it reminds me of Legends of Tomorrow. I saw a clip of Spock eating bacon and thought, this reminds me of Kara (Supergirl) when she would eat food sometimes.
Wait, do you not watch the show? Because that was episode 5 and 8 is tonight. Do you not understand the context of what you're arguing?

b8cfa9bdb27733b8b6d93077f79b46c8fdbd0081.gifv

I mean, even ignoring that slightly sexist remark about Supergirl, its amazing how context is important when presented with a scene that seems a bit off.

I mean, even ignoring that slightly sexist remark about Supergirl, its amazing how context is important when presented with a scene that seems a bit off.
I recall you posting F Rodenberry in another thread here. So I would not expect civility from you. But I really don't care for your insinuation about sexism. I don't know how you got from A to B there.

4e1c804e81a9ddc7876db413b62ce4eaff6bfb99.gifv

Check the moderator list for this subforum, I am the forum "guidelines" around here.

When someone comes around and is a constant contrarian on a board, it makes us suspect that they are intentionally being inflammatory and being a troll. And well, we don't abide trolls around here.

Not saying that you are, which is why I nicely suggested you move along, but if you don't heed friendly advice from a mod, that might change our appraisal....
The not so subtle threat aside, so when people mock or outright make accusations there is nothing inflammatory or troll like in that?
Can you put a link to the current rules and guidelines. Or point me in the right direction? I would like to read them over.

I recall you posting F Rodenberry in another thread here. So I would not expect civility from you. But I really don't care for your insinuation about sexism. I don't know how you got from A to B there.

Yes, I absolutely reject appeals to authority of Roddenberry by people like Shatner. Because, let me remind you, my favorite Trek violates pretty much all of Roddenberry's beliefs about Trek at the time it was made. Much as I reject appeals to authority of Lucas when it comes to Star Wars. They created the foundation, not the outline of how the said media should be portrayed.

As for my logic direction, you make broad, utterly dismissive comparisons to the show, and then you make a similar one to a specific trait of a woman. And as someone who has watched Supergirl, and feels that it was overall fairly good, it feels like a comparison many of the alt right would say.

You don't have to like the show. I don't like Discovery, and I dislike many parts of the first season of Picard. However, I still respect those enough to not create hyperbolic comparisons as my criticisms. Don't hide your criticisms with comparisons, just say what you don't like, and you will likely find people are a bit more receptive of your criticism.

The CW comparison is particularly egress, because if there was any justice in the Emmy nominations, Babs Olusanmakun and Yetide Badaki would get nominations, as well as the episode "As Astra Per Aspera".

Yes, I absolutely reject appeals to authority of Roddenberry by people like Shatner. Because, let me remind you, my favorite Trek violates pretty much all of Roddenberry's beliefs about Trek at the time it was made. Much as I reject appeals to authority of Lucas when it comes to Star Wars. They created the foundation, not the outline of how the said media should be portrayed.

As for my logic direction, you make broad, utterly dismissive comparisons to the show, and then you make a similar one to a specific trait of a woman. And as someone who has watched Supergirl, and feels that it was overall fairly good, it feels like a comparison many of the alt right would say.

You don't have to like the show. I don't like Discovery, and I dislike many parts of the first season of Picard. However, I still respect those enough to not create hyperbolic comparisons as my criticisms. Don't hide your criticisms with comparisons, just say what you don't like, and you will likely find people are a bit more receptive of your criticism.

The CW comparison is particularly egress, because if there was any justice in the Emmy nominations, Babs Olusanmakun and Yetide Badaki would get nominations, as well as the episode "As Astra Per Aspera".
What specific trait are you talking about? The comparison is that of an Alien who is enjoying Earth food. Spock is half and half, but in the scene he's human temporarily. But the comparison is still that of someone enjoying Earth food. I don't know what you are talking about in the slightest, you seem to want to throw labels around with no actual facts. Just what you have conjured up in your own head. The comparison is simple. I also chose Supergirl, which I also enjoyed for most of the run because of the connection. Someone who worked on Supergirl also worked on this show.

I was naive to think you might say "my bad" I was mistaken to make such accusations or something to that effect, but you have shown your true character. You don't want to discuss the show, but make wild claims and attacks. I no longer wish to converse with you. You lack any sense of tact. You have made up your mind and thrown around numerous accusations now. I was willing to forgive and forget, but no more. I am done indulging in your wild fantasies and accusations.

I still love the glow up between Disco and SNW. Especially Spock who is HOT in SNW compared to Disco.

7ioTNyUT5sVRztymgBguVn.jpg

Star-Trek-New-Worlds-TV-Review.jpg

I'm really starting to like SNW. Up until recently I've only truly enjoyed Lower Decks (so much fun), but season 2 of SNW has been pretty damn good and I literally just finished the Lower Decks crossover (watching Ep. 8 now) and loved it.

Nice having 2 really good Trek series going at the same time.

been watching "the old scientists" watching The Naked Time and even then they had Chapel confess her love to Spock (although under the influence of what made them all crazy).

Seeing the TOS Klingons in this segment really helped me understand where they were going with the Klingon uniforms.

Yeah, I love the SNW take on the Klingons. They do a great job of taking the TOS aesthetic and updating it to take advantage of the greater budget and the world building done by the TNG era productions.

Ok I finally caught up. What a delight, I never would have thought they would beat season 1 but they sure did! I didn’t know Rebecca could sing?

I have concerns about how strike compliant this will be. Though I suspect there is a reason we only saw Lower Decks cast members.

IMHO the streaming experiment has failed. Time to get back to licensing shows and physical media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"