Rebels Star Wars Rebels Season 4: An Open Discussion

They could have easily killed Ezra, yeah, but it wouldn't necessarily be a better story.

Plus, I think what makes Luke special isn't so much that he's the only one who can use the force at the time of the OT, it's the fact that he's the only one who can save Vader. Luke beat the Empire because he loved his father too much to give into Palpatine's **** about hatred and the dark side. Obi Wan couldn't do it and Ahsoka couldn't do it, it was only Luke throwing away his weapon and proudly proclaiming himself to be his father's son. Some other guy outside the galaxy with no possible way of returning on his own isn't going to change that.

Because like with Ezra they do really dumb things to keep them alive, trying to circumvent the main story of the Skywalkers. Luke should be the only Jedi around RotJ and the only Jedi around TLJ. Now they have surviving Vader and have her dressed up like Luke in TLJ, all in white. That's stupid.

Ahsoka isn't a Jedi, and Kanan died before Ezra could become a Jedi Knight so Luke is the only Jedi at the time of the OT. Yoda never said Luke was the only Force User in the galaxy. It's the same at the time of TLJ. Luke is the only actual Jedi that we know of at the time of TLJ. There are other Force Users but they aren't Jedi.

IMHO, Ahsoka really didn't need to survive Malachor. And having her survive and return to that time frame just to remove her from the entire Galactic Civil War makes no sense.

Ezra dying to save his home world is really the simplest and easiest outcome. Now you have to come up with some really contrived reasoning for how he survived an UNPROTECTED jump through hyperspace, along with Thrawn. It's not even about proper physics and science to me.

The Chimera's bridge was exposed to the hyperspace vacuum. As far as I know, humans and Chiss in Star Wars don't have bodies that are built for hyperspace travel like the Purggils.

Unless...

This is what creates Supreme Leader Snoke. The hyperspace jump caused their bodies to smoosh together and create Snoke's twisted form.

Snoke isn't Ezra. Snoke isn't Thrawn. He's Ezrawn! The Purrgils go to the Unknown Regions, and that's where Ezrawn uncovers all the lost forbidden knowledge of the Sith and Jedi. And he uses that to take over the First Order.

:D

We saw in TLJ that Force Users can survive in space. And I've read comments that claim you can see Ezra projecting some sort of Force field outside the busted windows before the Chimera jumps to Hyperspace. But I haven't rewatched the episode to see if that's really what's happening. Regardless of whether it shows him doing that, its easy to think he could have put a Force Field around himself and Thrawn. Or some sort of steel plates could have closed over the windows after the ship entered Hyperspace. Grievous's ship did that when the bridge windows were busted in space. Maybe star destroyers have that safety feature. Or the Purgillscould have jumped the star destroyer into another planet's atmosphere so that Ezra and Thrawn wouldn't die in space.

They could have easily killed Ezra, yeah, but it wouldn't necessarily be a better story.

Plus, I think what makes Luke special isn't so much that he's the only one who can use the force at the time of the OT, it's the fact that he's the only one who can save Vader. Luke beat the Empire because he loved his father too much to give into Palpatine's **** about hatred and the dark side. Obi Wan couldn't do it and Ahsoka couldn't do it, it was only Luke throwing away his weapon and proudly proclaiming himself to be his father's son. Some other guy outside the galaxy with no possible way of returning on his own isn't going to change that.

I think the way they chose to handle Ezra's exit was perfect for the character. And Ezra going off into the unknown with Thrawn is far more interesting than just killing him.

Last edited:
We saw in TLJ that Force Users can survive in space. And I've read comments that claim you can see Ezra projecting some sort of Force field outside the busted windows before the Chimera jumps to Hyperspace. But I haven't rewatched the episode to see if that's really what's happening. Regardless of whether it shows him doing that, its easy to think he could have put a Force Field around himself and Thrawn. Or some sort of steel plates could have closed over the windows after the ship entered Hyperspace. Grievous's ship did that when the bridge windows were busted in space. Maybe star destroyers have that safety feature. Or the Purgillscould have jumped the star destroyer into another planet's atmosphere so that Ezra and Thrawn wouldn't die in space.

Comments, but is this proven at all? I haven't seen any such evidence about a Force shield. There is precedence for Force users surviving in a space vacuum. Luke actually did it in the EU before it happened with Leia in The Last Jedi.

However, there is no evidence that they know how to protect themselves from an exposed hyperspace jump. Hyperspace travel isn't teleportation Marvolo. It's not instantaneous. They aren't traveling billions of light years through space through a wrinkle in time.

This is my problem with Ezra's fight. You basically have to contrive a lot to justify Ezra's survival. It's far more simpler to just say the boy is dead and the hyperspace jump vaporized his midichlorians across the galaxy, so he became one with the Cosmic Force.

I think the way they chose to handle Ezra's exit was perfect for the character. And Ezra going off into the unknown with Thrawn is far more interesting than just killing him.

Simple solution. He simply should've trapped Thrawn without an exposed bridge.

The whole hyperspace thing doesn't bug me. It's a fantasy series about space wizards who shoot lightning from their hands and can allow themselves to come back from death as ghosts. If you accept that there are giant creatures that can live in the vacuum of space and move at hyperspeed then it shouldn't be a stretch to imagine they have a way of protecting whatever they want to take with them.

Maybe they did have a way to do that. Maybe they didn't. All we saw is the Purrgil drag the carcass of the Chimera into hyperspace. Anything that happens after that is unknown to us except that Ezra and Thrawn are "not dead."

Plus, I think what makes Luke special isn't so much that he's the only one who can use the force at the time of the OT, it's the fact that he's the only one who can save Vader.

Right, but that's not how Yoda & Ben see it. Their initial intention is for Luke to go kill Vader without ever picking up on him being his dad. Implication being if you're strong/skilled enough to take them down, that should be enough.

If Yoda doesn't know Ezra's still on the playing field, it's fine. It'd bug me if he's aware of him out there though.

Last edited:
Right, but that's not how Yoda & Ben see it. Their initial intention is for Luke to go kill Vader without ever picking up on him being his dad.

If Yoda doesn't know Ezra's still on the playing field, it's fine. It'd bug me if he's aware of him out there though.

Well, I personally don't believe Yoda is omniscient and there's nothing within the finale of Rebels that indicates anyone in the galaxy outside of the Ghost Crew believe he could still be alive.

And if you really want to get into the nitty gritty, Palpatine, who is at least on par with Yoda in terms of power, seems to have written Thrawn (and technically Ezra too, who was with him) off as dead going by the way his protege Gallius Rax thinks of him in the Aftermath novels.

The whole hyperspace thing doesn't bug me. It's a fantasy series about space wizards who shoot lightning from their hands and can allow themselves to come back from death as ghosts. If you accept that there are giant creatures that can live in the vacuum of space and move at hyperspeed then it shouldn't be a stretch to imagine they have a way of protecting whatever they want to take with them.

And that's fine.

Amen good sir.

Its a question of the pressure on Luke. He is the only hope against the darkness and it isn't because he is Vader's son. It is because who he is as a person.

But when Yoda looks at Luke and tells he is the last, its important imo. The same way when Luke is speaking to Kylo and says he will not be the last Jedi and we see Rey in that moment.

Keeping overall irrelevant pet characters alive should not be a priority, especially when Ahsoka's story should have began and ended with Vader. They cheapened the moment and it hurt the best Rebels episode imo.

Ahsoka isn't a Jedi, and Kanan died before Ezra could become a Jedi Knight so Luke is the only Jedi at the time of the OT. Yoda never said Luke was the only Force User in the galaxy. It's the same at the time of TLJ. Luke is the only actual Jedi that we know of at the time of TLJ. There are other Force Users but they aren't Jedi.
She is Jedi in all but name, and then make her look like Luke in TLJ.

The idea of TLJ is that Luke goes away, the light side of the Force is unrepresented, which is why Rey raises. Darkness rises, light to meet it. It isn't the Jedi awaken. Its the Force awakens.

It is very important to realize trying to fudge the idea in terms of technicalities does not make it batter imo.

Depends on your point of view... ;)

The idea that there would be no force adepts in the universe other than Luke in the OT doesn't hold much water considering how expansive the galaxy is. The distinction is that Luke is the only Jedi, which I think stands even with Ahsoka and Ezra alive because neither are technically Jedi, and Ezra is effectively off the table. With Ahsoka it's a little more complicated, but there can be an explanation for what she's been up to during the Galactic Civil War that would warrant her non-involvement.

Also, she didn't look like a Jedi in the epilogue, let alone Luke. She had a white robe and staff. She looked more like an actual Tolkien-esque wizard than the monk aesthetic that's been established for Jedi.

Its a question of the pressure on Luke. He is the only hope against the darkness and it isn't because he is Vader's son. It is because who he is as a person.

But when Yoda looks at Luke and tells he is the last, its important imo. The same way when Luke is speaking to Kylo and says he will not be the last Jedi and we see Rey in that moment.

Keeping overall irrelevant pet characters alive should not be a priority, especially when Ahsoka's story should have began and ended with Vader. They cheapened the moment and it hurt the best Rebels episode imo.

And none of that changes with Ezra still alive, yet lost to them. Like I said above, Yoda isn't omniscient.

I think in the epilogue Ahsoka probably has more in common with the Daughter and the Mortis gods than the Jedi. She's been spending years with Morai and the Daughter transferred her life into Ahsoka to save her years ago. I'm sure that plus her own experiences and leaving the Jedi Order and going her own way has heavily influenced her which is why she doesn't consider herself a Jedi.

As for her being a Jedi all but in name, in the real world if I say I'm not a Catholic then I'm not a Catholic. You don't get to just lump me in with a philosophy and group just because I have some things in common with Catholics. Same goes for any group or philosophy. Ahsoka formally left the Jedi Order. She's been on her own path and philosophy for nearly 20 years. She's not a Jedi. Yoda is aware of this fact when he tells Luke that he is the last Jedi. Yoda is also aware of the fact that having Force abilities doesn't make a person a Jedi so when he tells Luke he is the last Jedi that isn't a declaration that Luke is the last person with Force abilities. And that in no way lessens Luke's importance. He's still the star of the OT. He's still the only person that could save his father. He's still the reason Vader killed the Emperor. He's still the last Jedi no matter how many Force Users there are in the galaxy.

Not sure I buy into the "but Ahsoka's not really-reals-for-reals a Jedi" argument, that's semantics at a certain point. She's a lightsider, she's of stoic & brave character, she's a million times more capable with saber than Luke is in the OT.

Yeah, we know as an audience that Luke's the only one that can take down the Emperor. In-universe though, that's not the assertion. They're just trying to kill Vader and The Emperor however they can, the Jedi arts/path seeming the most prudent way of going about that.

But yeah, Yoda's not aware of Ezra or Ahsoka it seems, so it's fine. It's only really a problem if he knows.

Not really an ideal situation, personally I like the "neatness" of Yoda & Obi being the only (actually trained/proficient) force-users out there by the time of ANH, but that wiggle-room of them not knowing about Ezra/Ahsoka being alive is fine by me.

I enjoyed Rebels but i realy hope the next show can center around Luke and the main OT trio post-RotJ. Even if only in the same way The Clone Wars centered around Obi-Wan and Anakin.

During Rebels, the excuse fans got every time they said they wanted to see more of Darth Vader or Obi-Wan was that the show was always about Ezra, and had to be centered around his perspective. Now they have the oportunity of starting from scratch. I just hope they finaly start making another show centered around the big leagues again. It worked with The Clone Wars. There's no reason why it wouldn't work with Luke, Leia or Han.

He doesn't need to be omniscient. It is about what he is saying being true.

It is true, it's true to the person who says it and it's true to the person hearing it. Ezra was not going to be able to come in and save them, it was all on Luke.

Man, these last couple of episodes were so good. Kanan's death was much more meaningful and had a deeper emotional impact than Luke's lame death in TLJ

I really like the final episode and how it ended with an epilogue taking place after ROTJ

Dave Filoni should be the Kevin Fiege of Star Wars. He actually understand what it is that makes Star Wars so great and has respect for the characters. Filoni should replace Kathleen Kennedy at Lucasfilm

Everything I have seen, Filoni is not the right choice for head of LFL. There is a very, very big difference between what Kennedy does, and what Filoni does as a showrunner.

Yeah I highly doubt Filoni would want such a position anyway.

It is true, it's true to the person who says it and it's true to the person hearing it. Ezra was not going to be able to come in and save them, it was all on Luke.

That's true, but I get the complaints about Ahsoka being around. Even if she wasn't a Jedi, Yoda should've been aware of her as a force user, right?

It doesn't bother me personally, but I get it.

Everything I have seen, Filoni is not the right choice for head of LFL. There is a very, very big difference between what Kennedy does, and what Filoni does as a showrunner.

I personally think Kennedy does an "okay" job with a hugely marketable asset, but I also agree saying Filoni as a show runner is vastly different than running a universe, but I would make the argument that she's(Kennedy) not the kind of fan of the universe that I want running the universe. I get the feeling she has a very loose idea of where star wars should go, to be honest, I do feel 7 8 and 9's success is mostly because of it's use of the OT characters, and I imagine if they ever make a 10-11-12 if they don't use the OT characters we may see a significant dip in sales, meaning I think a mediocre movie with use of the OT characters I believe would have resulted in very similar sales since the wide market it can hit. (well i do feel TFA was slightly above mediocre) and (TLJ below.)

I know I was going to buy my tickets regardless of reviews both movies, however now questioning myself for 9 and the solo film.

He doesn't need to be omniscient. It is about what he is saying being true.

Well if he is not omniscient, and he isnt, he can't possibly know for certain whether Luke is the last Jedi.

Its true from a certain point of view however. Luke is the only Jedi after Yoda dies. That Yoda knows of or cares about. Even if Ahsoka and Ezra were straight line hardcore Jedi, which they clearly arent, it wouldnt make any difference because as far as Yoda knows they might be dead. By the time of ROTJ he hasnt seen or heard from Ezra or Ahsoka in over 5 years. They cant help Luke. They might not be able to help resurrect the Jedi Order. They are lost. Non players in the game. Luke otoh is right there. Luke is who Yoda is putting his faith in. So he impresses upon Luke that he is the last Jedi. The one that has to deal with Vader and save the Jedi. Not other Force Users that may or may not be alive and able to help. As far as Yoda cares, as far as Yoda knows, Luke is the last Jedi.

I think Star Wars: Resistance may be that upcoming live-action TV series by Jon Favreau and not the next animated series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"