The Force Awakens Star Wars VII Director? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, because..why not? Who would you want to take on the next Star Wars now that Disney has announced for 2015? No sooner had it been mentioned, I heard someone say Chris Nolan...

David Fincher's all kinds of wrong for this, imo. Same as Nolan.

Ooh, Part2 of a thread already.

Honestly, while it would never happen, I actually think a Nolan Star Wars film would be pretty intriguing.

I'm sure Nolan's smart enough to not totally throw away what made Star Wars Star Wars, and in conglomeration with his own unique style, it would actually be a pretty unique experience.

I think the very reason this probably won't happen is because he won't be willing to shed his traits that clash with the SW aesthetics and mentality.

How About these 3

Sam Raimi Only because would get Bruce Campbell likely in some role.

SamRaimi.jpg

Andy Serkis. He has served as 2nd Unit Director on all the Hobbit films and has two other smaller directing films down the pike.
Why not give a new Director a shot
andy0115.jpg

Gore Verbinski Is someone that makes the world he directs real and Star Wars needs to feel lived in and Gore is someone Disney likely could trust.
GoreVerbinski.jpg

I think the very reason this probably won't happen is because he won't be willing to shed his traits that clash with the SW aesthetics and mentality.

See even though I want others over Nolan I disagree with this. I think too many people think he would just make movies like he always does. He's a very very intelligent man, he knows what Star Wars is, I would bet he would not do that at all. Like I've said before back in the day no one thought Spielberg could do a "serious heavy" movie, and he proved them wrong with The Color Purple. So yes directors can evolve.

Gore is definitely on my list, I have right behind Bird, and Blomkamp, may even swap Blomkamp and Verbinksi for the 2-3 spots on my list.

Raimi would be interesting and he could do it justice, I wouldn't complain that's for sure. Kosinski is my dark horse pick

See even though I want others over Nolan I disagree with this. I think too many people think he would just make movies like he always does. He's a very very intelligent man, he knows what Star Wars is, I would bet he would not do that at all. Like I've said before back in the day no one thought Spielberg could do a "serious heavy" movie, and he proved them wrong with The Color Purple. So yes directors can evolve.

The thing is when you hire Nolan you do so to have him make his movie, you don't want to shackle him with touchstones and I'm just not sure that would work.

The thing is when you hire Nolan you do so to have him make his movie, you don't want to shackle him with touchstones and I'm just not sure that would work.

See I guess I don't agree with that. I think it's a possibility (not 100% of course) that he himself would do something different because he wants to. Spielberg re-invented himself quite a few times. I'm just saying it's not some impossibility. People think Nolan has to narrow of a view on how he can direct. Maybe that's true, but I think there is more to him.

However, I still would want Bird.

I think Bird and Verbinski are my top choices. I think their style of filmmaking would be perfect for Star Wars and they both have a history with Disney. Plus I'm biased being a huge fan of The Incredibles and Pirates. Andy Serkis might be good too but its not likely WETA will be involved, I picture him working on a project involving WETA over ILM.

Kosinski directed a mediocre Tron film. He hasn't proven himself yet. Oblivion will be that chance though. But right now hell no.

Has anybody seen any of Irvin Kershner's other films besides Empire Strikes Back? Well, he was a very atypical kind of director. Nothing he did before Empire would ever make you think he would be the right man for the job. Non of his other films would make you think Star Wars. Just something to think about when trying to judge who is right to direct another Star Wars and who isn't.

I would take into account though that Lucas was a better writer back in those days and didn't have a brain malfunction that seemed to develope in the prequels
Now Lucas is more of a consultant so the new writer and director must handle whatever fate happens.

Has anybody seen any of Irvin Kershner's other films besides Empire Strikes Back?
Never say never again ;)

Sam Raimi Only because would get Bruce Campbell likely in some role.
I love you

Andy Serkis. He has served as 2nd Unit Director on all the Hobbit films and has two other smaller directing films down the pike.
Why not give a new Director a shot.
He will probably take the role of Yoda then
"Come on, you filthy sith. My precioussss lightsaber, you are about to meet" :jedi

Last edited:
Sorry to say there is only one Frank Oz But Andy probably could play any number of aliens and what not.

I think they will want a director that won't mess with what has been done. Rodriguez and many name brand others would want to put there style in and Rodriguez would not work for Star Wars,
Verbinski, JJ Abrams and Jon Favrou seems the best choices to me big name wise.

Best choice still to me is Brad Bird, the man has such talent, and would nail it on many levels. Next would be Alfonso, or Duncan Jones for me.

JJ won't do this, he's done Star Trek, and has already confirmed I believe that he's not doing it.Gore, eh, he's good, but some of his films have been not so great. And Jon, eh he can be hit and miss too. I just really don't see him fitting that well.

I mean of course any of these guys could do justice with Michael's script writing (if it is as good as his other works we have nothing to worry about ). But I think some just stand out better on this.

I've personally added David Yates to my list. I know it's pretty unlikely as he seems pretty comfortable over at WB but after re watching his HP films these past few days I've really come to the conclusion that he'd be able to usher in a great new saga.

I've personally added David Yates to my list. I know it's pretty unlikely as he seems pretty comfortable over at WB but after re watching his HP films these past few days I've really come to the conclusion that he'd be able to usher in a great new saga.

I just wonder whether he's burnt out from doing multiple movies in a popular franchise.

i still like vaughn choice he has shown he can do drama/comedy/fantasy,action all quite well and can direct actors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"