Supergirl Supergirl Season 2 Episode 16 - "Star-Crossed" MAJOR SPOILERS

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Press release from SpoilerTV:

TERI HATCHER (“DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES,” “LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN”) AND KEVIN SORBO (“HERCULES”) GUEST STAR; DARREN CRISS (“GLEE”) MAKES HIS DEBUT AS THE MUSIC MEISTER – A new villain (guest star Teri Hatcher) comes to National City, putting Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) on high alert. Meanwhile, Winn’s (Jeremy Jordan) girlfriend, Lyra (guest star Tamzin Merchant), gets Winn in trouble with the law. Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) attempts to help Winn but old loyalties get in the way. The Music Meister (Darren Criss) attacks Supergirl. John Medlen directed the episode written by Katie Rose Rogers & Jess Kardos (#216). Original airdate 3/20/2017.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/03/supergirl-episode-216-star-crossed.html

Sounds like, as we suspected, Darren Criss/Music Meister basically just appears at the end like Flash and Cisco last time.

Something tells me that this episode is going to be Winn-centric.

I hope the Music Meister portion of the episode isn't simply repeated in the Flash, making it redundant here.

I'm interested to see Teri Hatcher. Shame she could have appeared at the same time that Dean Cain was starring and shared a scene with him.

I'm interested to see Teri Hatcher. Shame she could have appeared at the same time that Dean Cain was starring and shared a scene with him.
I wouldn't rule that out. We don't know what's happening with Jeremiah post-"Exodus," and Hatcher signed on for a multi-episode arc, so who knows.

I wonder if the trailer is for the next three episodes.

Isnt this suppose to be the start of the musical episode?

Jeremiah was right that Kara wouldn't like the truth about Mon-El.

So is Mon-El's real name Lar Gand or is it something new? It sounded like his mom called him Kayla Mon-El... If so, the writers have got to start moving away from similar sounding names...

So is Mon-El's real name Lar Gand or is it something new? It sounded like his mom called him Kayla Mon-El... If so, the writers have got to start moving away from similar sounding names...
She said "Hail Mon-El..."

Been looking forward to the musical crossover for a while, but disappointed that most (all?) of the singing will be on The Flash instead. Well I'm hoping at least that Kara, Barry, and Winn will all have big singing parts because they're all great singers. Had no idea how good they were before the crossover episode was announced!

Been looking forward to the musical crossover for a while, but disappointed that most (all?) of the singing will be on The Flash instead. Well I'm hoping at least that Kara, Barry, and Winn will all have big singing parts because they're all great singers. Had no idea how good they were before the crossover episode was announced!

Well Asr and gang, hold on to your seats. I have it on word from EW that Kara will have a solo.

Now if you do not want to know what song she will sing or the story behind it, and a few other things, do not click this SPOILER...

The episode also includes several covers, among them the Benoist solo “Moon River...” "Moon River" was a song composed by Henry Mancini with lyrics by Johnny Mercer, two of the all time great songwriters and composers. Mancini was of course known for The Pink Panther Theme. "...River" won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for its performance by Audrey Hepburn in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). It also won Mancini the 1962 Grammy Award for Record of the Year and won Mancini and Mercer the Grammy Award for Song of the Year. It's been covered by many other artists.

It became the theme song for singer and TV host Andy Williams, who first recorded it in 1962 (and performed it at the Academy Awards ceremony that year). He sang the first eight bars of the song at the beginning of each episode of his eponymous television show and named his production company and venue in Branson, Missouri after it.

Perhaps that's why Melissa is in that sexy black number. Because Audrey Hepburn I think did wear black in the film, which is one of my mom's favorites.

Though the setting will be the 1940's there will be a few covers of songs from other eras like the 1960's including Jackie DeShannon's "Put A Little Love in Your Heart." Methinks this is showrunner's way of telling corproate radio stations you don't play these songs anymore...WELL WE WILL!

Of course there will also be the original songs including Rachel Bloom's penned "Superfriends", to which Grant Gustin said...

“It’s a goofy song and it’s very consistent with that style of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,”

By the way, the article mentions Kara's favorite film as The Wizard of Oz. If this crossover, though on the Flash works out and showrunners decide in the future to try it again and add Supergirl full-time and not at the end of the show, they might want to include Melissa singing Judy Garland's iconic "Over The Rainbow." Maybe in 2019 for the film's 80th anniversary. You remember that picture of Melissa in her super suit, walking with the Girl Scouts and carrying her dog Milli with her? Well I could almost hear Melissa singing that song.

For the Flash crossover that follows this episode

But it isn’t all doom and gloom ahead for Team Flash. In two weeks, “The Flash” and “Supergirl” will have a musical mini-crossover that finds the titular heroes “whammied” by the Music Meister (Darren Criss) and enter a dream-like state. Patton teased how Iris will factor into the event.

“You’ll see two versions of Iris in the episode,” she said. “The Iris that we know and love, and a person they [Barry and Kara (Melissa Benoist)] think is Iris but is actually a completely different character named Millie. She’s the sassy daughter of two gangsters — played Victor Garber and Jessie Martin — and she’s madly in love with Mon-El’s character (‘Supergirl’s’ Chris Wood), whose name is Tommy. They’re fighting for their love, because both of their families do not want them to be together.”

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-flash-iris-barry-candice-patton-1202008785/

So is Mon-El's real name Lar Gand or is it something new?

We now know the response to this, and also the name of the characters played by Kevin Sorbo and Teri Hatcher. If it has already been posted elsewhere, apologies for the duplication.

The stills that were released 2 days ago for the 2x16 episode ("Star Crossed") confirmed that Mon-El's parents (the King and Queen of Daxam) are named Lar Gand and Rhea (source below).

My understanding is that in the original version of the comics Lar Gand's was Mon-El real name (he didn't remember his name, so he was named Mon-El because he arrived in Monday and was found by Kal-El).

About Mon-El's not being the real name of the character played by Chris Wood, basically it has been confirmed that it is his name, as the promo for 2x16 had Teri Hatcher saying "All Hail Mon-El, Prince of Daxam".

My speculation is that Mon-El's superhero name will be Valor.

Source: http://www.kryptonsite.com/supergir...er-kevin-sorbo/nggallery/image/spg216b_0328b/

Picture 4: Supergirl -- "Star-Crossed" Pictured (L-R): Teri Hatcher as Rhea and Kevin Sorbo as Lar Gand.

Last edited:
Well Asr and gang, hold on to your seats. I have it on word from EW that Kara will have a solo.

YES! I can't wait for the new episodes this week! :woot:

Would've been even better if Flash and Supergirl were singing in their superhero costumes but I guess we can't have nice things. :p

Sneak Peeks:

Be warned, I think that last sneak peek is actually from the END of tonight's episode, cuz, ya know, crossover.

Personal highlight of the episode so far: Mon-El's calculator watch! :D

At the half-way mark and this is a real good episode! Could use less Winn and James, as the Kara/Mon-El story is already pretty heavy and it could use the room.

I liked the opening action sequence with Kara taking on a massive hostile starship like it's no big deal, but I'm not really into any of the romances, so the rest of the episode is kind of boring me.

Seems like Hatcher's character is going to be interesting, though. Is she our new (non-Cadmus) big bad, perhaps?

Weird that Mon-El's dad is Lar Gand.

Last edited:
Honestly, I feel like the best thing NewAndImproved!Mon-El could do would be to go to New!Daxam and make a difference. Like poor, brave, forgotten M'Gann did. Only he has a better shot at succeeding since he has actual power there.

Last edited:
I told you this episode was Winn-centric.

Something tells me that Kara was doing the musical crossover between this and Exodus.

I have a feeling that Mon-El may leave the show by returning to Daxam with his parents. I guess that may be better than being in the Phantom Zone with the weakness to lead.

I have a feeling that Mon-El may leave the show by returning to Daxam with his parents. I guess that may be better than being in the Phantom Zone with the weakness to lead.
I personally think that's what SHOULD happen, but I don't think it will.

His parents are clearly being set up as villains, so once they're defeated in some way, he will stay, I'd wager. A shame, because he could potentially do a lot of good by going back there. But staying "for Kara" will be presented as the more "romantic" option.

You can bet on Mon-El's parents for issuing a bounty on Kara for the nearby aliens to seize.

They haven't mentioned Exodus, which I'm glad they didn't.

I personally think that's what SHOULD happen, but I don't think it will.

His parents are clearly being set up as villains, so once they're defeated in some way, he will stay, I'd wager. A shame, because he could potentially do a lot of good by going back there. But staying "for Kara" will be presented as the more "romantic" option.

Well considering the fact that we know he is a part of Season 3, not sure he will be heading back to Daxam anytime soon, nor do I think he should. I have enjoyed his journey to hero story.

And I'm not sure that he is necessarily staying for Kara, I certainly didn't get that idea in this episode at all. EXCEPT, for the simple fact that she makes him a better person, and that is truly what he wants to be. NOW, after tomorrow night will that change and they go back to a couple again? Who knows, but I don't think "being with her" romantically is why he stayed. I just didn't get that from his last conversation with his parents.

I do however, think they are the ones that put a bounty on Kara.

As far as the rest of this episode. Just wasn't in to the whole Winn thing, seemed like filler to me....pretty meh.

Loved the scenes between Kara and Mon-el's parents, those were fantastic, as was the last scene between Kara and Mon-el.....brought a tear to my eye, or a few tears.

The Mon-El story line I would rate an 8, I would have liked more action on Kara's part, but everything else was excellent. The dinner scene was totally unsettling, which it should have been. So, I give that an 8.

The other Winn stuff, meh....6, so overall this gets a 7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"