Supergirl Supergirl Season 2 Episode 16 - "Star-Crossed" MAJOR SPOILERS

Chris/Mon-El was also pretty prominent in the crossover so he probably couldn't film a lot of scenes either.

I haven't seen the crossover yet.

But they shouldn't have billed this as a Mon-El heavy episode then where we're supposed to be finding out his backstory with his parents showing up. I think, if it had been billed purely as a filler about Winn and some of the other supporting characters, then it wouldn't feel like the episode is different to what I expected. They could've left the whole bit with Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo for another episode.

And I feel like someone else would've been better playing the king instead of Sorbo. He doesn't really look much like Mon-El.

I haven't seen the crossover yet.

But they shouldn't have billed this as a Mon-El heavy episode then where we're supposed to be finding out his backstory with his parents showing up. I think, if it had been billed purely as a filler about Winn and some of the other supporting characters, then it wouldn't feel like the episode is different to what I expected. They could've left the whole bit with Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo for another episode.

Agreed on that. The promo made it seem like it was gonna be all about Mon El and his parents yet they were in the background overall. I really think the writers need to see the mistakes they're making with the show before it's too late.

Last edited:
When did they bill it as a Mon-el heavy episode?

You take from the promos what you will, they didn't even do an inside look to lead you in one way or the other.

Mind you, I felt like the Winn/Lyra stuff was simply for crossover filming time, but I never saw this as a Mon-el centered episode, in fact I figured it would be the opposite of that seeing as Kara would have had a far greater screen time had it been Mon-el centered, and I knew that wasn't going to happen. Hell, she had less screen time this time than "Darkest Places"...

When did they bill it as a Mon-el heavy episode?

You take from the promos what you will, they didn't even do an inside look to lead you in one way or the other.

Mind you, I felt like the Winn/Lyra stuff was simply for crossover filming time, but I never saw this as a Mon-el centered episode, in fact I figured it would be the opposite of that seeing as Kara would have had a far greater screen time had it been Mon-el centered, and I knew that wasn't going to happen. Hell, she had less screen time this time than "Darkest Places"...

Come on the way the previous episode ended along with the promos gave a false impression of the episode. End of the day it it were a Mon El heavy episode Kara would have been there right alongside him. End of the day the promos should have given a clearer picture.

They cast Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo for what seemed like they were going to be major villains. They just seemed to fade into the background though. At least they could've had more scenes with them and discussing the future of their planet and their plans for Mon-El.

I thought the Winn storyline was going to be a very small part of the episode much like how we had a side plot about Maggie not wanting to celebrate Valentine's day with Chyler, or even just like J'onn's dealings with M'gann (in the non Martian Chronicles episode). I wasn't expecting the Winn plot to dominate the episode.

They cast Teri Hatcher and Kevin Sorbo for what seemed like they were going to be major villains. They just seemed to fade into the background though. At least they could've had more scenes with them and discussing the future of their planet and their plans for Mon-El.
They cast Hatcher and Sorbo for a multi-episode arc. This was just their intro. They haven't gone anywhere.

Overall thus far, this seasons plots have been everywhere and not focused enough.

Overall thus far, this seasons plots have been everywhere and not focused enough.

Agreed, they've rushed most of them aswell. I know we don't want everything been dragged out but they need to give certain plots room to breathe.

The ending and the promo did give out the impression that it would be all about Mon-El/Daxam. But it appears that the next episode will have more of that, based on the promo. But as just mentioned, promos can't be trusted.

Why does John Barrowman look more like Mon-El's father than Kevin Sorbo?

The core problem is that the show focuses on "You lied to me, Mon-El" as the issue. Its not the issue.

The issue is "You used to be a slave-owner, Mon-El." And he has, to date, shown no repentance for such, or even understanding of why this would be a bad thing. . . or why this makes his objections to Krypton looking down on Daxam rather hollow.

The core problem is that the show focuses on "You lied to me, Mon-El" as the issue. Its not the issue.

The issue is "You used to be a slave-owner, Mon-El." And he has, to date, shown no repentance for such, or even understanding of why this would be a bad thing. . . or why this makes his objections to Krypton looking down on Daxam rather hollow.

Nooo, I think it is both. Remember how she reacted when she found out her mom lied to her? she blew the head off of the AI with her heat vision...lol She has a very hard time with deceit. BUT, you are correct the other is the issue, and she brings that front and center immediately after they beam down from the ship after dinner. This scene...

That isn't the full conversation, but that is where she goes after him on those things...

And now he has, twice in that episode, once at the dinner table, and then again at the end when he tells his parents to leave.

Last edited:
Come on the way the previous episode ended along with the promos gave a false impression of the episode. End of the day it it were a Mon El heavy episode Kara would have been there right alongside him. End of the day the promos should have given a clearer picture.

ok...

He has derided the 'Prince of Daxam' before, calling him (himself) pretty much unworthy. And this is the first episode that confirms who he is, let's give it some time to see if they flesh that backstory out.

He has derided the 'Prince of Daxam' before, calling him (himself) pretty much unworthy. And this is the first episode that confirms who he is, let's give it some time to see if they flesh that backstory out.

He has also said to his parents that he detests who he was and thinking about who he was makes him feel ill.

In the Flarrowverse, lead characters get to be able to express their POVs but secondary characters and in particular love interests not so much (this is why Kara had several opportunities to express what she feels about Daxam and his past during the episode but he did not have so many). And it happens even less when there are romantic problems so the lead character appears to be in the right even when they are not.

I expect to see a bit of his feelings about Daxam in the next couple of episodes, but not in depth. I would like to, but it is not going to happen. He is not the main character.

This has happened with Felicity or Iris to many times to expect otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"