Superhero Musicals!

Breogan

My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey
Reaction score
Not really Movies or TV, I guess it belongs in this forum? Or if there is better place for the topic please move.

Which heroes have had musicals?
Which should / shouldn't?
Have you seen any?
Do you like the idea, hate it.
Would you go see one
What do you make of the phenomena?

DZlCjRp.jpg

Almost.... 1985
uzZ5KCM.jpg

5vq77m.jpg

Last edited:
I know that Spider-man had a Broadway musical several years back. And it got some publicity too, but that was actually because a bad accident happened on stage during one of the performances, and somebody got hurt pretty bad.

If it wasn't for that, the show probably wouldn't have gotten any attention at all. I don't think it was successful.

This facial hair makes people stare,
I wish I didn't care,
People feel I don't understand their pain,
OOOOOH Martha Wayne !!!!

This S stands for hope, the critics wishing for upbeat, really won't cope,
Downbeat and wistful, it won't make a fistful, let alone knowing my name,
Its such a shame, OOOOOH Martha Wayne !!!!

The Snyder cut is on it's way, up, up and away,
Faster than a speeding bullet, there's a call to cull it.
Its entirely shocking for little Jesse, often overlooked, his Lex was completely over cooked, Its such a shame, OOOOOH Martha Wayne !!!!

This was a real thing that was worked on by a legit composer (Jim Steinman, the composer behind Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler and others). I am a big Steinman fan, but I am glad this project died at the demo stage.

Last edited:
But a lot of the songs career over to other artists, like Meatloaf!

Anyway. Superman is fun. Spider-Man was DREADFUL.

But a lot of the songs career over to other artists, like Meatloaf!

Anyway. Superman is fun. Spider-Man was DREADFUL.

Steinman is a great rock composer, but there should be a NATO restraining order against him attempting musical theatre ever again. I admire his love of the genre, but the man has no conceptual sense of how to compose a show.

Bat Out of Hell looks so fun tho!

Bat Out of Hell looks so fun tho!

If you're a big fan of Meatloaf's music, (and It's All Coming Back To Me Now by Celine Dion) then go see it. Otherwise, the show's a hot mess, even compared to other jukebox musicals.

I further submit for the court's approval:

I think something more humorous would work for the stage. Something Deadpool esque.

A modern Superman musical would work if you went Donner-era campy.

For Batman, you can just Sweeney Todd that ****.

A modern Superman musical would work if you went Donner-era campy.

There was a revival of the Superman musical back in 2010 which eliminated a lot of the camp. One of the playwrights responsible for this revival was Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who was a producer during Supergirl's first season and is now an executive producer on Riverdale.

More here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/theater/04superman.html

Yeah I can see Burton era working for a Musical.

In fact I think one was planned at one point- https://io9.gizmodo.com/5068537/batman-on-broadway-the-musical-youll-never-see
A Broadway musical written by Bat Out Of Hell writer Jim Steinman and directed by Tim Burton.

The musical was announced in December 1998

This was a real thing that was worked on by a legit composer (Jim Steinman, the composer behind Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler and others). I am a big Steinman fan, but I am glad this project died at the demo stage.

Was that part of the above, or what became this?
Batman-live.jpg

[YT]gsxRhMCPeBk[/YT]

Last edited:
Dazzler is the obvious one. She should have both a musical and a movie musical.

There's a whole thread here about a Dazzler movie musical where I've discussed it in detail:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=537481&highlight=dazzler

It would fit right in with the character and would have huge potential. Imagine how much the whole thing could be boosted with soundtrack albums, singles, a film adaptation (if they don't make the film first) etc.

Now that X-Men will be back under Disney, the time is right for Dazzler to take her spotlight. A version in a theatre could be dazzling with all the laser and light display, roller skating and rock/ disco-infused soundtrack.

I know that Spider-man had a Broadway musical several years back. And it got some publicity too, but that was actually because a bad accident happened on stage during one of the performances, and somebody got hurt pretty bad.

If it wasn't for that, the show probably wouldn't have gotten any attention at all. I don't think it was successful.

LOL! WOW
Does U2 know they sampled their music?
Actually some interesting visuals there.
I can see how the swinging and flying stunts may have been risky.

Who is that spider-woman character (@ abt. 2:23)? Is that a personification of the Spider who bit parker?

Last edited:
Disney era Zorro had a few musical numbers.

Ricardo Montalbán

^Barbara Luna better known for Lt. Marlena Moreau in Trek's Mirror universe.

Apparently Zorro became his own full Musical
Es muy dramatico!
5pmq74.gif

Last edited:
Dick Tracy practically wanted to be a musical?

Anyone ever catch this at Disney?

I can see anywhere between Fred Astaire / Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal work for the Shadow, Dick Tracy, Agent X-9...

(to whoever put that^ together, that edit is spectacular)

-----------------------

dazzler-movie-big.jpg

Disco era...
Dazzler is the obvious one. She should have both a musical and a movie musical.

There's a whole thread here about a Dazzler movie musical where I've discussed it in detail:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=537481&highlight=dazzler

It would fit right in with the character and would have huge potential. Imagine how much the whole thing could be boosted with soundtrack albums, singles, a film adaptation (if they don't make the film first) etc.

Now that X-Men will be back under Disney, the time is right for Dazzler to take her spotlight. A version in a theatre could be dazzling with all the laser and light display, roller skating and rock/ disco-infused soundtrack.

Four pages in that Dazzler thread , none referenced the actual Graphic Novel - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=28634157&highlight=dazzler#post28634157
Dazzler the Movie Graphic Novel that started it all.
Is it time!
Will Marvel finally make that Roller Disco Dazzler movie they've been dreaming about way back since..., well back since way after Disco died.:funny:

Already dated back when she debuted, maybe it's finally gone full circle and her time has come!
2596_4_01.jpg
Dazzler1.jpg

dazzler-movie-big.jpg

But yeah with all the retro 80's fashion and music trending right now, this would be the right time to bring it back.

Last edited:
Four pages in that Dazzler thread , none referenced - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=28634157&highlight=dazzler#post28634157
Dazzler the Movie Graphic Novel that started it all.

But yeah with all the retro 80's fashion and music trending right now, this would be the right time to bring it back.

Actually I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it somewhere. I've spoken about a Dazzler movie in so many different threads. Have definitely mentioned the original comic and how it all started as a movie tie in, even if I may not have posted that picture.

And that graphic novel is not the actual comic that started it all. That is the write up of the original script for the film which was modified and adapted into a graphic novel. The comic that started it all was actually Dazzler #1

63eb8bac6e058fc38970819384ce4015.jpg

It was meant to be a movie in the 1970s. Marvel were asked to help create this character specifically for a planned movie. The comic was meant to be a tie in. The movie fell through but they continued the comic. This was long before she was ever one of the X-Men.

That graphic novel was a later thing in the 80s when they decided to make use of existing material instead of wasting the original idea. That's why the graphic novel isn't all that important as a foundation, because she was already established for a few years by the time it came out.

There are a few other Dazzler threads around, but mine was the one with the MCU Dazzler in the title. Also I think I mentioned it in the "Keep Hope Alive" thread a few times. I'm always talking about a Dazzler musical lol.

Last edited:
Dang I forgot about Dazzler. Yes. That’s the one. And it should be a movie.

LOL! WOW
Does U2 know they sampled their music?
Actually some interesting visuals there.
I can see how the swinging and flying stunts may have been risky.

Cool videos, but they made me glad I didn't buy a ticket, lol.

The problem with superhero musicals is that there's so much emphasis on getting the stagecraft right to portray superpowers in a compelling way that they totally forget about the script, music and lyrics.

Seriously though, Harvey Birdman would make a great musical. Now that audiences are accustomed to seeing the Avengers more as action comedies than action movies, the Avengers would work as well. Of course, Guardians of the Galaxy as a jukeboxer like Rock of Ages is a no-brainer and could be written in a day.

I seem to recall the Batman Live show doing the rounds a few years ago. It starred Sam Heughan as Batman/Wayne. Sam's best known for his role as the Highlander Scotman, Jamie in the Outlander TV series.

The problem with superhero musicals is that there's so much emphasis on getting the stagecraft right to portray superpowers in a compelling way that they totally forget about the script, music and lyrics.

Seriously though, Harvey Birdman would make a great musical. Now that audiences are accustomed to seeing the Avengers more as action comedies than action movies, the Avengers would work as well. Of course, Guardians of the Galaxy as a jukeboxer like Rock of Ages is a no-brainer and could be written in a day.

Well Disney are experts at musicals already. They know how to get a good balance. Just hire someone who has worked on one of them.

I think Dazzler would suit a musical very well. It wouldn't seem like someone is suddenly breaking out into a song and dance because it's part of her powers and who she is, which is different to the Avengers bursting into song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"