Tessa Thompson wants an all female superhero movie

Personally I hate it, and this is coming from a girl. I hate when anything is just one single gender exclusive, it makes it feel too secluded. I also hate when these girls go and say they want a girl gang movie. :nono::argh:
I could have done with you on Facebook the other week. Arguing with 'feminists'. What a drain that was!

Basically anything that isn't a bunch of white dudes on a team with maybe one chick or one other minority doesn't come across as forced more or less.
Anything that's the result of existing characters is likely going to feel forced though.

If there was a fresh film, maybe that A-Force, or Lady Liberators or something, then sure, go for it, but an ensemble film involving the current MCU women for the sake of it is neither desired nor required.

Let me go through the contenders excluding Widow obviously because she has a movie in development.

Scarlett Witch - She is a good contender but im not sure if I could see her in a film all on her own yet and that's just because a lot of her story feels like its been told. With her brother and Vision. However I think making Dr. Strange 3 the same kind of team up movie Raganrok was with her and Strange this time could be great.

Gamora - Dead, tied to the guardians. Even as the star I don't think I would want to see just a Peter Quill movie either the ensemble works so well together as a team that breaking that up would hurt each character I think.

Valkyrie - She's been in one movie and we learned pretty much everything about her past how she came to be on Sakaar, how the battle with Hela went. Now I would love to see her again but im really not sold on a movie for her yet. And before anyone cry's sexist I wasn't sold on a Black Widow movie after Iron Man 2.

Wasp - Again it felt like we told her story in Ant Man 2. Honestly at times it felt more like a The Wasp & Ant Man movie which isn't bad but I just don't see how you break her off from Scott and make another good enticing movie after that.

Sif & Maria Hill & Sharon Carter - Im sorry but there is literally zero demand for a film with any of those three.

Your team for this would probably be Captain Marvel led.

The remaining question is how do you justify just getting the women together. In all the team ups to date there have been both male and female heroes.

With a space setting for CM, Valkyrie is the easiest to involve. Second to that would be Scarlett Witch given her power-set, and assuming she meets CM in A4.

I might have said Nebula and Gamora but, really, who knows what’ll happen there. You could always introduce some new characters like Angela, Captain Marvel is introducing Monica Rambeau, i think, and there’s always Jessica Drew.

I was also wondering if the Eternals or the Shi’ar could maybe show up.

Last edited:
So is there a convincing explanation for why I so rarely see anyone complain about Birds of Prey, but the mere thought of a Marvel all-female team-up movie makes all the sad nerds go hysterical? I mean, what is the difference? Are people just biased?
With the exception of Harley's nonsensical involvement BoP is being introduced as a team

Last edited:

The remaining question is how do you justify just getting the women together. In all the team ups to date there have been both male and female heroes.

With a space setting for CM, Valkyrie is the easiest to involve. Second to that would be Scarlett Witch given her power-set, and assuming she meets CM in A4.

The Serpent Crown would be a good plot point or macguffin to "set" things off; it's used to mind control everyone but these women are unaffected and initially think it's because they were elsewhere or lucky, but it's revealed later that Set is testing their worthiness to be his "brides".

Set, Sliggurth, and Naga as the villains.

So it's kind of an inverted Atlantis Attacks.

Thats easy. Do the MCU version of bridesmaids :D Tony and Pepper are getting married. A bad guy crashes the party the men and woman get split up. And its up to the ladies to save the day. maybe a little on the nose. But could be fun.

With the exception of Harley's nonsensical involvement BoP is being introduced as a team
A team made up of female superheroes coming together to solve a specific problem... again, where's the difference.

I don't want an all female team, this would feel forced. Why would for example Widow, Gamora and Valkyrie team up when they didn't knew each other before rather than be with their teammates they knew for years?
I would rather see more females in mixed teams (closer to 50-50 ratio than 1 female in 5 or 6 members team).

Now that I think about it......

People bring up "all female cast" all the time but has there really ever been a big screen superhero team movie with an all male cast?

^ Not really. To add to that the Women have been given credible skill sets and reasons for being there. Widow, Peggy, Hill, Wonder Woman, Harley, etc. They may be fewer in number but the women have had pretty substantial roles in all the team-ups.

^I'm not saying that. But with Captain Marvel coming in, I think a female heavy film, rather than all female, is pretty inevitable anyway, and there's nothing wrong with that.

A team made up of female superheroes coming together to solve a specific problem... again, where's the difference.
Introduced as a team with no prior context ala Charlie's Angels VS arbitrarily pulled from their already established relationships to be arbitrarily teamed up with women they may not even know for no other reason than that they are all women

In all likelihood this Captain Marvel and Valkyrie crossing paths in some interstellar conflict. Carol has brought teams made up of female characters together before and were likely to see Monica Rambeau and Jessica Drew in the near future. Post-Infinity War it would make sense for her to lead some sort of earth-based defense force, she’s got prior connections to Nick Fury and SHIELD.

You guys don’t really think the basic concept is too much of a stretch, right? Like it doesn’t take much to get the ball rolling.

“With [Ant-Man and The Wasp] and now with Captain Marvel and many movies to be announced in the near future, I’m anxious for the time where it’s not a novelty that there is a female-led superhero movie, but it is a norm,” Feige told EW. “And it is less a story of, ‘Oh, look, a female hero,’ and it’s more a story of, ‘Oh, what’s this about? Who’s this character? I’m excited to see that.’ And I think we can get there.”
Kevin Feige says more female-led MCU movies are in the works after 'Captain Marvel'

Off the top of my head my personal choices would be, She-Hulk, Elsa Bloodstone, Elektra.

The likelihood of She-Hulk might be slim due to Universal rights. Elektra is locked in the Netflix world (So I'll be down for a Netflix show). If Marvel decide to go towards a more supernatural direction Elsa could stand a chance of being developed.

Monica Rambeau/Photon is my #1 pick for a solo film. Monica has the powers, personality and potential to be a major player in the MCU. Kevin Feige can be trusted to treat Monica with the respect she deserves, unlike comics editors and writers of the past. :argh:

latest

Valkyrie is another possibility. Also Spider-Woman (although IDK for sure what the rights issue is with her right now), Elsa Bloodstone, Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel obviously, Ms. America Chavez, etc.

Last edited:
Kamala Khan is super-likely to happen IMO.

After seeing the way the audience reacted to the scene with
Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, Rescue, Okoye, Shuri, Wasp and the other female heroes teaming up
in Endgame, this sounds like even more of an easy money idea.

After seeing the way the audience reacted to the scene with
Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, Rescue, Okoye, Shuri, Wasp and the other female heroes teaming up
in Endgame, this sounds like even more of an easy money idea.
That shot seemed so contrived but I loved it nonetheless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"