WandaVision Teyonah Paris is Monica Rambeau

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
I wonder which code name they will give her? I’ve always liked Photon for her. No idea how they can work that into the script

Had a feeling she would be introduced sooner rather than later but this seems a really odd show to bring her in to.

It is odd that she would be on this show, but she's likely to make the jump into the movies as soon as the show ends. I believe she will be another MCU fan favorite when she jumps into the movies. This could be her biggest role to date. I've seen her in other stuff before and I think she has talent, she just hasn't had that major role yet. This could be that role for her if she becomes a fan favorite. While I still remember Paul Rudd from Anchorman, The 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, Ant Man is the first thing I think of now when I see Paul Rudd. I feel the same way about a majority of the MCU actors who have done multiple films in the MCU, their MCU roles are the first thing I think of. Right now, when I hear the name Teyonah Parris, I think "Black girl from Mad Men." That could change if her portrayal of Monica becomes a fan favorite.

I actually lean towards "She just has powers as a superhero going in". I mean, I suppose she can't be quite as gloriously overpowered as she was in the comics without causing problematic setting questions, but still. I would like them to reinforce that, its a superhero world, it has a lot of superheroes in it. Just because someone hasn't gotten a movie and an origin story doesn't mean they don't exist.

I actually lean towards "She just has powers as a superhero going in". I mean, I suppose she can't be quite as gloriously overpowered as she was in the comics without causing problematic setting questions, but still. I would like them to reinforce that, its a superhero world, it has a lot of superheroes in it. Just because someone hasn't gotten a movie and an origin story doesn't mean they don't exist.

She sort of has an origin story as a young girl in Captain Marvel. Sure it's not how it is in the Comics, but we should be used to it by now. WandaVision is that little girl from Captain Marvel, now grown up and possibly super powered.

I wonder which code name they will give her? I’ve always liked Photon for her. No idea how they can work that into the script
Considering Carol Danvers literally wasn't called Captain Marvel in the movie, it seems most likely they won't call her a codename. That being said, if they give her one, the most logical choice to me would be the current codename. There's nothing wrong with Spectrum, imo.

Is she for sure going to be super powered? Or not just a great pilot like her mom? I don't recall if they gave specifics on it.

Either way, I'm excited for her. I loved her in If Beale Street Could Talk.

Photon was her mom's Air Force Code Name, so I would think that's the name Monica would use.

I do wonder if perhaps she fell through a timewarp hole in the asphalt out in the driveway to not be near 40 now if Wandavision takes place in 2021. :rolleyes:

I'll withhold judgement until more on the story is known but yeah it does seem kind of random to shoehorn her into this show in particular. That being said, I'm glad this characters being given some attention.

Last edited:
Pertaining to her origin per wikipedia (derived from 1982's Amazing Spiderman Annual 16 by Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. before being shuffled over to Stern's Avengers run):
Monica Rambeau was born in New Orleans, Louisiana to Frank and Maria Rambeau. She was a lieutenant in the New Orleans harbor patrol, and operated as a cargo ship captain. Trying to prevent the creation of a dangerous weapon, Rambeau was exposed to extra-dimensional energy. As a result, she was thereafter able to convert her body to energy. After this event, the media dubbed her "Captain Marvel". Following a close call where her excess energy nearly made her a danger to others before that power was drained off by Iron Man and Spider-Man, she decided to use her powers to fight crime under that name. She was told by Ben Grimm that the name had originally been used by the late Kree hero Mar-Vell, but Grimm assured her that "Marv wouldn't mind. I probably ain't the only 'Thing' in the world either.

Aspects the show could rework: I'm guessing the TV show will have her on something like a Coastgaurd or harbor patrol wherever the show is set. The extradimensional energy she'll be exposed to perhaps caused by Wanda in the show.

I wonder if they will address her mother since her mother and Carol/Cap 2 well Captain Marvel were best friends

I would imagine they would have to.

Speaking on that, I wonder how easy it will be to have a shared universe here? Like can teyonah appear in an avengers flick or will she just be stuck in tv land. I think seeing photon with the avengers will be a dream come true

Speaking on that, I wonder how easy it will be to have a shared universe here? Like can teyonah appear in an avengers flick or will she just be stuck in tv land. I think seeing photon with the avengers will be a dream come true

I would assume she's going to jump into the movies, because if they had wanted Monica Rambeau as a TV only character, she would have debuted under the auspices of Jeph Loeb, not Kevin Feige.

I do wonder if perhaps she fell through a timewarp hole in the asphalt out in the driveway to not be near 40 now if Wandavision takes place in 2021. :rolleyes:

I'll withhold judgement until more on the story is known but yeah it does seem kind of random to shoehorn her into this show in particular. That being said, I'm glad this characters being given some attention.

She has been in a story with Wanda involving Chthon, and her powers come from being exposed to extra-dimensional energy.

She has been in a story with Wanda involving Chthon, and her powers come from being exposed to extra-dimensional energy.
The eyeroll emoji about the age.

I noted in follow-up post above about the extra-dimensional energy and origin from Amazing Spiderman Annual 16 debuting in 1982. If her origin has been re-worked concerning Wanda in the comics I'd like to know more.

I think given how they integrated the Hall H presentation with Feige introducing cast/crew for both Marvel films plus Disney+ shows that there is going to be more cross over of characters and talent than we currently imagine. I could turn out wrong but I won't be surprised if a new team of Avengers includes characters like Monica and Kate Bishop.

I think given how they integrated the Hall H presentation with Feige introducing cast/crew for both Marvel films plus Disney+ shows that there is going to be more cross over of characters and talent than we currently imagine. I could turn out wrong but I won't be surprised if a new team of Avengers includes characters like Monica and Kate Bishop.

The Disney+ Marvel shows are under Kevin Feige, which means that the chances of any new characters introduced on these shows ending up in the movies is extremely likely, unless they get killed off. Monica could have been under the watch of Jeph Loeb (which meant she would have never appeared in the movies) but that did not happen. We saw her as a little girl in Captain Marvel and chances are that she will be an adult in CM2. If Teyonah's portrayal of Monica becomes a fan favorite, it could be the role she's best known for the rest of her career. If her portrayal of Monica hits, she will be forever known as "Monica Rambeau in the MCU" rather than "the Black girl from Mad Men." Being a popular character in the MCU movies is a big deal. The best example of this is Tom Hiddleston. He's always going to be Loki, no matter what role he plays outside of the MCU. Teyonah was not my first choice for Monica, but she's not a bad choice either.

So if she is in this Disney Plus series I wonder if she will be an adult also in Captain Marvel 2

So if she is in this Disney Plus series I wonder if she will be an adult also in Captain Marvel 2

Most likely. I don't think she would have been introduced in Wanda Vision and not appear in the movies.

I think she is most likely working for SHIELD, investigating the shadowy Darkholders, which perhaps leads her to their HQ in the ruins of Sokovia and onto Mount Wundagore.

Had a feeling she would be introduced sooner rather than later but this seems a really odd show to bring her in to.
It is strange, but I kind of like that isn't quite predictable where various characters might show up.

Based on the trailer:

- Monica either already has her powers or she gets them when she crash lands back in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"