The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think alot of the problems with ASM 2 are structural problems which really come from a weak foundation built from the first film. Ultimately I don't think Electro was the villain that should have been the center of this story. It really, imo should have been Norman Osborn / Green Goblin as the sole villain. Odviously , to do that , you needed to introduce them in the first film. That would have strengthened not only the Peter/ Harry dynamic , but also the Parker family vs Osborn family dynamic over two films in which the ASM2 could climax in Norman killing Gwen. That way the whole Peter and the Goblin stuff doesn't feel like a last minute, rushed, afterthought. I think the story that Marc Webb was trying to tell through those moments with Gwen, and Harry, really lent themselves more to a film with one villain , being the Green Goblin. It seems to me you could have taken out Electro and the overall dynamics wouldn't have changed that much. If anything the story would have been much stronger and more personal and connected to the overarching Parker family vs Osborn Family. However, if you're trying to do world building like Sony you don't really have time for that kind of story.

This film reminds me a lot of X-Men: The Last Stand. Both ruined maybe the most iconic story in their respective comics by stuffing in too many plot-threads and characters that didn't belong.

Electro had no place even being in this movie.

I actually think Last Stand is better. Mainly because Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, Patrick Stewart's Xavier, and Ian McKellen's Magneto were better than anything in this film. Also it was short, so I didn't have to put up with it for as long.

Last edited:
This film reminds me a lot of X-Men: The Last Stand. Both ruined maybe the most iconic story in their respective comics by stuffing in too many plot-threads and characters that didn't belong.

Good comparison! Though to TASM2's credit, it was FAR longer and it DID develop it more than X3 does. But, same principle. I agree.

I actually think Last Stand is better. Mainly because Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, Patrick Stewart's Xavier, and Ian McKellen's Magneto were better than anything in this film. Also it was short, so I didn't have to put up with it for as long.

I couldn't agree more :up:

They were going to do Green Goblin right this time! They said they would!

The Green Goblin was already done right character wise in the previous trilogy. The only flaw was the costume, but even in that department TASM 2 did it worse. Harry's "Goblin" looked like Butt-Head on meth.

The Green Goblin was already done right character wise. The only flaw was the costume, but even in that department TASM 2 did it worse. Harry's "Goblin" looked like Butt-Head on meth.

I literally just said that in another thread, LOL! Dafoe was a great Green Goblin. His costume was just mind bogglingly stupid. But, the character was awesome.

The Green Goblin was already done right character wise in the previous trilogy. The only flaw was the costume, but even in that department TASM 2 did it worse. Harry's "Goblin" looked like Butt-Head on meth.

Well fans didn't want a goblin helmet mask and they got their wish ;) .

Be careful what you wish for.

And yes this movie makes me appreciate Willem Dafoe's performance as Norman Osborn a lot more.

Who knew that after three Green Goblins that the Dafoe version would have the BEST (ie. least bad) costume?

Yeahhhhh the Green Goblin wasn't done right in Raimis trilogy either.

I couldn't agree more :up:

Co-signed. Several good points in that post.

They were going to do Green Goblin right this time! They said they would!

HA! They said a lot of things, and for that matter, so did the fans. I've been through that gauntlet enough times today, but one thing in particular I'd like to highlight that I'm tired of hearing "Oh that's gonna be in the next movie." "Oh you'll have to wait for the sequel to see that."

That's all I heard as an excuse for the first movie's shortcomings, most of which were never addressed again.

The one thing I actually took them at their word for, however, was the whole idea that since the origin was now out of the way, Marc Webb can deliver his true vision of Spider-Man in all his glory. What he did in fact deliver was a true parody of Spider-Man in all his misery.

I never imagined that this movie would be so bad.

I literally just said that in another thread, LOL! Dafoe was a great Green Goblin. His costume was just mind bogglingly stupid. But, the character was awesome.

And because the character was done so well it was easy to over look the costume flaws. Besides his glider, pumpkin bombs, and general Goblin weaponry like the razor bats were awesome.

Not to mention Dafoe's performance sold the whole thing.

And yes this movie makes me appreciate Willem Dafoe's performance as Norman Osborn a lot more.

Likewise.

Yeah he was. The origin, the characterization of Norman, the split Goblin personality, the strained relationship with Harry. They nailed it, aside from the costume, which still looked ten times more Goblin like than the Evil Ed/Butt-Head look DeHaan had.

Ehhhh I guess I'll just abandon the Raimi appreciation thread and come back at a later time.

And because the character was done so well it was easy to over look the costume flaws. Besides his glider, pumpkin bombs, and general Goblin weaponry like the razor bats were awesome.

Not to mention Dafoe's performance sold the whole thing.

This is also where if the issue of cheese comes up, I say Dafoe was cheesy in the correct way. The Green Goblin in the 60s until he "died" was always very much like what Dafoe was doing. He was that cackling, overtly evil, delusional, etc. villain. But, he also gave us the tragedy of the character, also. We saw it in the scenes he had with Peter/Harry. Here, we get none of that with Max. He is mostly just goofy and pathetic. As for Rhino, he is just cheese without the charm Dafoe gave his performance. Even if you remove the character scenes, and just focuson Gobby vs Rhino, Dafoe is charming and enjoyable, but Rhino is just...dumb. THAT is why I didn't like Webb's cheese.

Whoever made that Butthead on meth quote struck gold. I died.

:up:

Who knew that after three Green Goblins that the Dafoe version would have the BEST (ie. least bad) costume?

Call it poetic justice. The ridicule that the character has had to endure in the buildup to this move has been redeemed as far as I'm concerned. Dafoe has the last laugh, especially now that his comments about the franchise have been validated as well.

I'd love to hear what he thinks about the new Harry and Norman, specifically.

Is that supposed to mean that what we got in this movie is in some way pardoned? The you used the word 'either' tells me that you concede that this iteration of the character was trash as well. The difference between now and 2002 is that Sam Raimi and Willem Dafoe didn't have a cinematic blueprint to tell them what does and doesn't work. If anything, it's shameful that the character was butchered so badly all these years later.

I never imagined that this movie would be so bad.

Me neither. Some awful films you can see coming (ex. Green Lantern), but this one really stunned me. I knew there was a decent chance that it would be pretty mediocre, but I never dreamed it would be this bad.

This is also where if the issue of cheese comes up, I say Dafoe was cheesy in the correct way. The Green Goblin in the 60s until he "died" was always very much like what Dafoe was doing. He was that cackling, overtly evil, delusional, etc. villain. But, he also gave us the tragedy of the character, also. We saw it in the scenes he had with Peter/Harry. Here, we get none of that with Max. He is mostly just goofy and pathetic. As for Rhino, he is just cheese without the charm Dafoe gave his performance. Even if you remove the character scenes, and just focuson Gobby vs Rhino, Dafoe is charming and enjoyable, but Rhino is just...dumb. THAT is why I didn't like Webb's cheese.

Indeed. I prefer pepper jack myself. :awesome:

Whoever made that Butthead on meth quote struck gold. I died.

:up:

Call it poetic justice. The ridicule that the character has had to endure in the buildup to this move has been redeemed as far as I'm concerned. Dafoe has the last laugh, especially now that his comments about the franchise have been validated as well.

I'd love to hear what he thinks about the new Harry and Norman, specifically.

Is that supposed to mean that what we got in this movie is in some way pardoned? The you used the word 'either' tells me that you concede that this iteration of the character was trash as well. The difference between now and 2002 is that Sam Raimi and Willem Dafoe didn't have a cinematic blueprint to tell them what does and doesn't work. If anything, it's shameful that the character was butchered so badly all these years later.

Every bit as rushed as you all claim Harry is.

When the scenes with Dr. Kafka started, I suddenly felt like I was watching the origin scenes with Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin again.

The editing was so weird and the reactions from Dr. Kafka were so bizarre.

Now yes, this is a comic book movie. I get it. But the style they went with in those scenes was also quite different from the rest of the movie and kind of took me out of it and yes put me right back into Joel Schumacher territory.

It also kind of reminded me of the characters in the Transformers movie. You know how in the movies there would just be these bizarre caricatures saying and doing insane things and the camera sticks with their insane antics?

Now also to be clear I think Orci and Kurtzman are talented writers. I've met and spoken with both of them and I think they are good dudes and very easy to talk to. But sometimes with their scripts they can really miss the mark. I think this was one of those instances.

Granted I'm sure there were other decision makers possibly making bad decisions so they probably don't deserve a 100% of the blame.

Also my problem with Rhino in this movie is that well...I mean he's like talking gibberish the whole time. The only thing I could make out what he said was telling Spider-Man, "I killah!" Like why are you telling Spider-Man "I'm a killer" when he's messing around with you like that? Then he shows up at the end and the setting is just so bizarre. People standing around like its a parade eating their popcorn and stuff while guns are being shot. Missiles are shot. So weird.

Why would Oscorp even pick Rhino?

Me neither. Some awful films you can see coming (ex. Green Lantern), but this one really stunned me. I knew there was a decent chance that it would be pretty mediocre, but I never dreamed it would be this bad.

Same here. Like I said, in spite of all my grievances with the first movie, I took the fans at their word and was fairly optimistic about this one. The trailers looked great, but then again, they all are these days. I think Renny Harlin's Hercules movie is the last patently bad trailer I've seen. Hollywood has gotten very good at marketing their trash to the masses.

I felt like it reminded me of Iron Man 2 a little bit. Electro being Whiplash and Harry as Justin Hammer. They set up the Sinister Six at the end of TASM2...they set up The Avengers in Iron Man 2. Seemed like the movie had a lot of different superhero movies tied with it. Electro's character almost was like The Riddler in Batman Forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"