The Batman Spoiler Discussion Thread

Could totally be off-base, but I left this movie with the distinct feeling that Two-Face isn't happening.
Same. Bit disappointing, Joker scene was intriguing but I would drop Joker like a box of rocks for Two-Face any day.

I just think we're risking redundancy now that we've done the whole "corruption of political figures" angle in the first movie.
Totally. I also think that, while this maybe isn't a popular view, doing Two-Face's origin again after TDK would feel deeply redundant no matter what you did. He'd have to already be Two-Face.

I just think we're risking redundancy now that we've done the whole "corruption of political figures" angle in the first movie.
There might be an angle here with how much we’ve explored Gotham’s corruption and the story of a crusading DA being presented as a tragedy with an inevitable ending. You’re probably right though, I just don’t want to give up on the dream of a Reeves Two Face

I think this series will suffer if it tries to cram in every single villain that fans want to see. The 4 most iconic villains are already represented here, one film in. Two-Face is important, and this film does kill the DA. We'll see. Reeves has to focus on the ones that he feels he has a fresh take on and can center the best stories around.
Even if I didn't necessarily like the Joker scene, Reeves deftly juggled all the multiple villains in this one film alone. It never felt like any of them were crammed in. It enhanced the feeling of the Gotham underworld knowing all these seedy characters are only just starting to bloom into what we'll know them to be.

I hope he keeps building with the sequels. We've never seen the rogues gallery as large collective unit. It's always been a villain-of-the-week scenario. A villain or two get the limelight, then they rotate out, rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't expect Harvey to have his rise and fall from grace all in one movie as in TDK. Introduce him and establish him as Gotham's squeaky clean DA in the next movie (albeit with a dark side to him) then have him become Two-Face in the third film.

What's with these Batman movies and orphan choirs anyway? :o

0b65cc2a-0905-443d-a668-eae27c7acfb7_text.gif

SQ1529M.png

sCivjfg.png

Matt Reeves just revealed something major about his Joker that may be controversial personally Im torn on it.

Joker didn't fall into chemicals in this version.

His smile and laugh is something he can't get rid of sorta like the man who laughs something medically wrong with him.

His whole life he's been treated like clown only know he embraces it.

I'm probably very late with this news though.

Last edited:
Well apparently I’ve been saying Barry Keoghan’s last name wrong this entire time. I thought it was “Key-O-Gan” when it reality, it is much much fancier

Isn't he Irish? I would reckon that IGN pronunciation is wrong and you are probably closer to the real pronunciation.

Matt Reeves just revealed something major about his Joker that may be controversial personally Im torn on it.

He's has his scar's since birth.

His smile and laugh is something he can't get rid of sorta like the man who laughs something medically wrong with him.

I don't think he said he has scars. He said its some kind of genetic condition where he can't stop smiling. And years of that and how people treat him are what result in him becoming the Joker.

Its definitely a fresh take on the character.

Personally kind of hope we don't have a lasting "Apocalyptic" feel for Gotham after the flooding. Like we just entered this Gotham which felt pitch perfect and it immediately gets destroyed? I was never a big fan of stories like NML or Zero Year so I guess it's just a personal preference.

Batman failed the city and basically caused its destruction. He really should be in Arkham with Riddler and laughing guy in the cell.

He's has his scar's since birth.

Part of me kind of wishes DC/WB had the foresight/ability to connect this movie and Joker with Joaquin Phoenix, with a few tweaks here and there to make it fit together. So many similarities.

The tone and vibe of Gotham in both movies is SO similar.
Joker having a condition that predisposes him to his eventual supervillain alterego
Thomas Wayne running for/being Mayor, having corrupt ties.
"Joker" in Arkham State Hospital already.

Imagine how insane it would have been if Joaquin Phoenix was in that cell, the internet/theaters would have exploded.

Interested to see what Matt Reeves does with the character though.

I think this series will suffer if it tries to cram in every single villain that fans want to see. The 4 most iconic villains are already represented here, one film in. Two-Face is important, and this film does kill the DA. We'll see. Reeves has to focus on the ones that he feels he has a fresh take on and can center the best stories around.
The thing is, if Reeves is allowed to have a 3 hour runtime for the rest of his Batman movies then that leaves a lot of room for more villains than you'd usually see in a film like that. But there's also the added bonus of the supplemental HBO Max shows. I'm sure we'll be introduced to a few more villains in the Penguin show and probably the GCPD one as well.

I have no idea where else to put this post, so I’ll just slap it here.

I checked the audience reviews for The Batman recently out of curiosity…and almost all the bad reviews say the same thing. “Too much talking(???), not enough action”. There was plenty of action. That batmobile scene and the fight at the garden??? They were awesome!

I feel like the MCU has conditioned general audiences to expect the “MCU formula” out of every single superhero movie ever to such a degree that when there’s one that doesn’t follow the way of the Whedon, it’s seen as a “bad superhero movie”.

I still very much understand how a people pleaser like Spider-Man: No Way Home gets better reviews and glowing praise as opposed to The Batman having a bit more of a mixed response.

I don't think he said he has scars. He said its some kind of genetic condition where he can't stop smiling. And years of that and how people treat him are what result in him becoming the Joker.

Its definitely a fresh take on the character.

I honestly like it better than a chemical bath making him Joker.

More physoclilal this way.

My only "problem" or reason I'm torn is because it feels so similar to Joaquin Phoenix Joker.

Matt Reeves recently revealed he had no idea Joker movie was even being made until way later.

So he probably didn't realize that he and Todd were making a very similar grounded psychological take on Jokers mindset and orgin.

So Im sorta giving it a pass since I know Reeves didn't do this on purpose.

Great minds think alike u guess lol.

A small moment but I loved how Bruce and Selina were still flirting even on their motorbikes.

As for the Joker, I honestly don't think we can really judge or make comparisons when all we've gotten is that short scene. Yes, Reeves gave us his thoughts in that interview but anything can happen between now and when Barry's Joker makes his actual appearance.

I honestly like it better than a chemical bath making him Joker.

More physoclilal this way.

My only "problem" or reason I'm torn is because it feels so similar to Joaquin Phoenix Joker.

Matt Reeves recently revealed he had no idea Joker movie was even being made until way later.

So he probably didn't realize that he and Todd were making a very similar grounded psychological take on Jokers mindset and orgin.

So Im sorta giving it a pass since I know Reeves didn't do this on purpose.

Great minds think alike u guess lol.

Well Phoenix's Joker movie went more with the failed comedian/down trodden loser story for the Joker. Much like The Killing Joke.

Part of me kind of wishes DC/WB had the foresight/ability to connect this movie and Joker with Joaquin Phoenix, with a few tweaks here and there to make it fit together. So many similarities.

Joker having a condition that predisposes him to his eventual supervillain alterego

Imagine how insane it would have been if Joaquin Phoenix was in that cell, the internet/theaters would have exploded.

I used to not think it would not work since I assumed there were gonna go with the whole chemical bath red hood idea but there's a surprisingly amount of similarities between what Matt Reeves and Todd Phillips were thinking to do with Joker.

I still argue Joaquin’s version was missing fundamental aspects that would qualify him as any kind of Joker to face a Batman one day. A great performance, but he just wasn’t the Joker to me. Sorta like like Michelle in BR, tbh.

As someone who didn’t watch the final trailers/clips/TV spots, I just watched them now to see how much they have away. Jeeeeez. Glad I didn’t. 95% of the best scenes were in the trailers. WB didn’t save much for the movie

I'd really to see Holly Robinson in either a Catwoman HBOMax show or a future film :) I think that kind of relationship was setup nicely with Annika, whose inclusion in this film was done well I thought.

Yeah, Joaquin’s Joker barely registers as Joker to me. Really glad Reeves isn’t saddled with that movie, decent enough film though it is.

I also think how well Reeves utilizes 70s cinema as an influence makes Philips raccoon like pilfering of Scorsese imagery even more embarrassing.

This is what bothers me about DC films, didn't anyone think, hey what happens if this film is a big hit, ppl will want to see him and Batman together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"