The Defenders The Big Bad for season 2?

writer0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
The Hand served as a good antagonist for the throughline for Phase 1, but I doubt they'll continue that storyline.

What villain or group would you like to see in Defenders Season2?

Personally, I think they went about it all the wrong way with The Hand. Marvel set The MCU Defenders up to be the street level version of the Avengers. They should've stuck with that instead of getting lost in stories of resurrection and mystical ninja groups trying to take over the world. I think Hammerhead or some other crime boss would've been a better way to go and hope they do that for season 2.

Personally, I think they went about it all the wrong way with The Hand. Marvel set The MCU Defenders up to be the street level version of the Avengers. They should've stuck with that instead of getting lost in stories of resurrection and mystical ninja groups trying to take over the world. I think Hammerhead or some other crime boss would've been a better way to go and hope they do that for season 2.

Yea as it started to get more mystical I started to wonder at what point do they decide they might need to call the avengers? lol.

Count Nefaria and the Maggia. Which would employ various supervillains and scientist.

This was set up to be mystical and larger than pure street level from the start. Already in season 1 of DD do we see some hints about mystical elements and we hear about a war that's much larger than what DD chooses to do. Season 2 and IF really hammered that home before the Defenders as well.

If we never see The Hand again on these shows, it'll be too soon imo. Through three seasons across three different shows, not once did they come across as truly interesting or even threatening. They were just lame and boring.

Monica Rappacini could work, taking over the remnants of AIM perhaps.

They should adapt Secret War (not to be confused with Secret Wars).

whoever is the big bad, have him/ her/ them develop across most if not all the 4 Netflix shows. the biggest complaint i had with Alexandra/ The Hand in Defenders is that other than Madame Gao, everybody else was under developed, even Bakuto. although to me he was more dangerous than i ever felt Alexandra was.

... and the reason why Gao was that scary dangerous is that we saw her in most (all?) of the Marvel Netflix shows. that's how you develop a villain thats supposed to go up against 4 heroes.

It all comes down to the writing. You don't need 4 Seasons to build an interesting villain. Kingpin and Kilgrave are two of the best villains the MCU has to offer, and they only needed a season each. And there's Cottonmouth, an interesting, well written and nuanced villain, who only needed half a Season. Heck, Nobu in Daredevil Season 1 was more interesting than Bakuto, Sowande and Murakami combined.

Last edited:
What if my top choices are the Hand again but without The Beast and instead just Gao as the last Finger alongside HYDRA in a three-way battle for K'un L'un as my top choice and The Hood assembling a criminal army as my second choice. TBH, this would make Xao and HYDRA a bigger threat than Gao and The Hand.

Kingpin is way too tied to Daredevil to be a general villain.

Purple Man is dead and now just a presence in Jessica's head leading her to do evil. Not a villain for en entire team of superheroes to fight.

Black Mariah is far too tied to Luke Cage. She's also not a physical threat and gets other people to fight on her behalf.

If The Beast appears, it should be in an Elektra solo series since he's far too tied to her.

Xao and Hood are the two best options. The Hood is a really cool villain and Seven Capital Cities of Heaven is a really cool storyline. Hail HYDRA!

And I'd rather have each character do their own thing. Punisher is about to confront Jigsaw. Let Jessica Jones fight Karl Malus. Allow Luke Cage to fight Power Master and Nightshade. Have Daredevil face off against Bullseye. Danny is left as the only guy fighting The Hand which is fine since that's one out of 5 people and his series comes dead last so enough time will have passed for The Hand to feel fresh again. Season 1 was mostly Matt's story. Season 2 needs to be either Danny or Luke's turn to be the hero.

Shadowland feels too soon. And that should only happen when Matt has managed to completely snap due to stress and Elektra needs to be the one to save him. Elektra saved Matt at the end of Defenders and dropped him off in a Catholic hospital. But we don't know what happened to her after that. She needs A. her own series. B. a chance to redeem herself, particularly to Danny and C. a resolution to the love triangle with Matt and Karen before we can get a story about Elektra saving Matt from himself. And Moon Knight is also a huge part of Shadowland and he not only lacks his own series but isn't in the MCU yet.

Last edited:
Fin Fang Foom

Far too tied to Iron Man and War Machine, particularly the latter.

Count Nefaria and the Maggia. Which would employ various supervillains and scientist.

Too tied to the Avengers. He's a full-on Avengers-level threat and considering that Fox owns Kang, perhaps the best option for the Phase 4 big bad.

Considering how they put Graviton (who's an Avengers-level threat) and HIVE (ditto) in AOS, I don't see why Count Nefaria would be "too big" for The Defenders. Heck the Iron Man cartoon from a few years back had him as an Iron Man villain, and it worked just fine.

Also Count Nefaria hasn't been played up as that big a threat in a long time, even in the comics.

Nefaria and the Maggia would be an awesome "big bad". Especially if you show him as stronger, faster than all the Defenders. Then you can have final fight with all 3 characters going all out.

I wouldn't add any "new" characters other than establishing Colleen and Misty as "full fledged" members.

I would say, follow the IGH conspiracy. This doesn't necessarily mean that IGH, as such, is the villain. Honestly, the hints we've got so far suggest IGH is more neutral than that. However, this still leaves plenty of room for their unethical experiments to accidentally create someone who *is* the villain.

I would say, follow the IGH conspiracy. This doesn't necessarily mean that IGH, as such, is the villain. Honestly, the hints we've got so far suggest IGH is more neutral than that. However, this still leaves plenty of room for their unethical experiments to accidentally create someone who *is* the villain.

They certainly are a shady organization. Its a good starting point to explore. And it can lead to some awesome supervillains to counter the Defenders. I still like Count Nefaria being involved.

Yeah, IGH as a 'Power Broker,' working on creating meta-human enforcers for military or criminal elements to use and abuse, sounds interesting.

If they really want to tie it all together, the source of the 'power pills' used by Will (and later Trish) could have something to do with the chemical company whose products led to the empowerment of Jessica, and blinding of young Matt Murdock.

Even the Purple Man's parents might have been working for this organization, unbeknownst to them, or the prisoner experiments from Luke Cage might have tied into this company's illicit empowerment experiments.

Pretty much everybody but Danny has a built-in connection to this hypothetical 'Power Broker,' if they want to go with it, and Danny, through Rand Corp, can have some ties to it as well, or just tag along with his friends (since it all doesn't have to be about Danny, and he was already pretty heavily tied into the first Defenders season's arc, while Luke and Jessica were kind of tagging along).

Plus, the potential for empowered enforcers working *for* the company, including people with Cage-like skin, or, worse, Kilgrave-like persuasive abilities (although far lesser in scope, since that sort of power shouldn't be mass-producible!), could ramp the threat level far beyond 'Cage effortlessly slaps down some ninja.'

I think the most likely candidate is IGH. I have a feeling that like how The Hand was built up in Daredevil and Iron Fist, IGH will be built up in Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

But I also like the idea of future Defender seasons being self contained. I think the Hood is a good throw away villain. Someone they can make really interesting and fun, but probably doesn't have the staying power beyond one season. Before the Hand was announced for the Defenders I was picturing The Hood leading a group of cultist criminals and we'd see him gathering important items for a ritual. Build it up all season the mystery of what the ritual could be for, then in penultimate episode reveal it's to bind the Ghost Rider to his service making the finale The Defenders vs Ghost Rider. That would be such an epic reveal.

Nefaria and the Maggia would be an awesome "big bad". Especially if you show him as stronger, faster than all the Defenders. Then you can have final fight with all 3 characters going all out.

I wouldn't add any "new" characters other than establishing Colleen and Misty as "full fledged" members.

Given how powerful Nefaria is in the comics, how would the Defenders defeat him, most of the Defenders could do nothing to him.

I also think he is too cartoony super villain for the more street level Defenders to deal with, he seems better realized else where. I don't think he is too tied to the Avengers, because he really is not an important Avengers villain and really the MCU could give him a different role. I think an evil European super villain count with a costume is not a good fit for the Defenders.

But what does Hammerhead bring to the table that Kingpin doesn't? In the comics Hammerhead always seemed like a loser compared to the Kingpin, with the Kingpin always seeming more powerful and competent.

Last edited:
Given how powerful Nefaria is in the comics, how would the Defenders defeat him, most of the Defenders could do nothing to him.

I also think he is too cartoony super villain for the more street level Defenders to deal with, he seems better realized else where. I don't think he is too tied to the Avengers, because he really is not an important Avengers villain and really the MCU could give him a different role. I think an evil European super villain count with a costume is not a good fit for the Defenders.

But what does Hammerhead bring to the table that Kingpin doesn't? In the comics Hammerhead always seemed like a loser compared to the Kingpin, with the Kingpin always seeming more powerful and competent.

The best way to do Nefaria is to add some sort of limitation. He's powered by Ionic energy, right? Then make the energy finite and he has to use some process to recharge.

IGH makes the most sense as the next main antagonist for the Defenders. I believe that, as a shady research firm experimenting in superpowers, IGH is an MCU version of Power Broker Inc. from the comics. This could open the door to some supervillain-related threats, such as Typhoid Mary, to challenge the heroes down the road. I believe we'll learn a lot more about IGH on Jessica Jones and maybe Luke Cage in their second seasons, and the IGH-related threats will gradually be built up to serve as the main threats in the Defenders' second season.

If we never see The Hand again on these shows, it'll be too soon imo. Through three seasons across three different shows, not once did they come across as truly interesting or even threatening. They were just lame and boring.
I agree. I didn't care for them in DD, thought they were interesting but not explored enough in IF, and weren't threatening enough in TD.

Would love to see Hammerhead as a big bad. he is a classic foe and also rather underrated.

The Hood & Count Nefaria interesting too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"