The Defenders Sigourney Weaver is the Big Bad Villain of The Defenders

pixen

Sidekick
Reaction score
So it was just announced at the Iron Fist Panel that she would be the villain of The Defenders. I wonder who she could be playing.

Could she be playing someone who is part of the Hand? Like Elisbeth Von Strucker in Wolverine: Enemy of the State comic where she's part of The Hand? Or will she play someone more political in NYC?

Last edited:
Wow that's cool! I hope she will be fierce as an antagonist!

Will be interesting to see who she plays but this is nice casting.

I have no idea who she's supposed to be. Part of me says Ma Gnucci. Part of me says Ricadonna. But neither of them have ties to The Hand. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe The Hand aren't part of the story after all and she's Enchantress who empowers the Wrecking Crew.

I have no idea who she's supposed to be. Part of me says Ma Gnucci. Part of me says Ricadonna. But neither of them have ties to The Hand. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe The Hand aren't part of the story after all and she's Enchantress who empowers the Wrecking Crew.

The Hand will be a part of it. They replayed the teaser from SDCC at NYCC and it had Stick narrating and also a HAND in the teaser.
defenders.png

Plus Iron Fist is, per NYCC, the 'sworn enemy of the Hand'

I always thought Catherine Zeta Jones could be a good Janet.

WOW. What a power player Marvel got for this series. Very excited about this. I feel like she's going to be an obscure villain from the comics but they'll revamp her in a big way for this series.

I think she'll be a little better known. Maybe not Kingpin level, but probably Killgrave level.

This is beyond cool. I never really imagined them even attempting to cast a huge star like her.

This is big for Marvel/Netflix.

I'm honestly shocked that they got her. I know she's done TV before (Political Animals) but it always seemed that she would be picked/saved for one of the Marvel movies and be wasted. I think this is such a great casting decision and hope she gets to play a character who is on the Kingpin, Kilgrave, Mariah level of quality.

Not that surprising, it's not network TV after all.

Not that surprising, it's not network TV after all.

No, it isn't but you'd think her agent would be wanting her to go with a Marvel movie as it'd mean more money for them.

True, but when she was rumored last week I actually thought a Netflix show was a strong possibility.

Awesome news. No idea who she is playing but I'm sure she'll be epic; all of the Netflix big bad villains have been great so far, except maybe Nobu (if he even counts).

True, but when she was rumored last week I actually thought a Netflix show was a strong possibility.
Based on? TV pays bank (it is why movie actors are taking the jobs), especially for roles that have been down played in the films. How many villains in the films have had the same kind of substantial roles as the show villains?

She's probably going to play a lawyer and/or politician ;) .

My inside sources are telling me that she is playing Marvel's version of Hillary Clinton.

Seriously though, I'm thinking MCU Viper or Lucia Von Bardas

Last edited:
Based on? TV pays bank (it is why movie actors are taking the jobs), especially for roles that have been down played in the films. How many villains in the films have had the same kind of substantial roles as the show villains?

Just timing and speculation. The article I read used the term binge-watching which made me think of Netflix obviously (even though it wasn't used in a Netflix specific context), but more so the timing of the comments, which made it seem like an announcement could be imminent. NYCC was just around the corner and a place where such an announcement could be made (and was Netflix heavy on the Marvel side).

It's not so surprising Marvel got a big star like her. The Defenders are mini-series, an event on which actors do not have contract obligations for multiple seasons. That's why we got, for instance, Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson on True Detective, Patrick Wilson, Kirsten Dunst and Martin Freeman on Fargo etc...

Sigourney is a cult actress. I don't care even if her character is made up, as long as it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"