The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Eh, I don’t think Thor Ragnarok feels that different than the other films. They still follow up on plot threads from TDW and Age of Ultron. Sure; it’s about 1,000 times better than TDW but it wasn’t like they fundamentally changed Thor’s entire character or his story. They did make him a bit more lighthearted and modern but it wasn’t such a hard left turn that it was jarring. And more importantly, Thor and Loki as characters were more or less beloved by audiences, despite a misstep with TDW and arguably with AoU. The same can’t be said for Cavill’s Superman and Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor caricature.

no one is asking for superman's character arc to change..... just like Thor's didn't... we are asking to make it a bit more light hearted, modern... like Thor: ragnorak did... add that Lois lane, P White, Jimmy, you will get yourself a hit... like Thor: Ragnorak....

Hence why I said, it needs the Thor: Ragnorak treatment...

There is life left in the MOS franchise...

Watching Matt Reeves talk about his film and then seeing that glorious trailer intensified my desire for a Superman reboot. Please WB, hire a competent director with love and a passion for the character.

With all the talk of multiverse, I think it's more likely that we get a reboot than MOS 2.

I’d take Cavill as Superman in the Shazam-Black Adam maybe if Zack’s stuff continues too on HBO Max and a complete reboot for the character solo like Reeves is doing for Batman

I think that's the most likely scenario. Cavill returns in some guest spots, including against Black Adam. A new actor and direction for the next solo film.

While I can’t say I’m confident that’s what will happen, it’s certainly what I’m crossing my fingers for.

Superman Vs Brainiac. In a huge epic film with hope and majesty and all the wonderful attributes of Superman. Why has WB consistently failed in bringing the obvious to the big screen? There’s only a repository of mostly successful comic stories since like the last 40 years which they could adapt from. But they know sooooo much better with the movies like having Burton’s Lexiac, come up with new “better uber cooler” villains like Ty Zor, or some variant of Zod or Lex.

Yeah I dont see it happening that way unless the reboot happens way down the line. Black Adam is not an HBO Max film so it would make no sense for him to use the HBO Max Superman. If anything they would use Black Adam to introduce the new Superman not use the one they are replacing.

Black Adam is produced by Hiram Garcia. The brother of Henry's manager, Dany. The Rock's ex-wife is Henry's current manager. If Superman appears in Black Adam, it's going to be Henry. Hiram and the Rock are not going to betray Dany by having Henry's replacement in their movie.

Right...but WB is not going to put Henry in that (and likely Shazam 2) and then reboot in the same time frame. Superman isnt Batman. (on screen) If Henry has cameos lined up then he is Superman with no reboot most likely coming for half a decade.

This is where I believe JJ Abrams comes in. He'll determine the timeline. When he's ready the studio will give the greenlight. If it's the near future or far down the road it is likely Abrams holds Superman's fate.

Black Adam is set for December 2021 and Shazam 2 is for November 2022. There isn't going to be a Superman film airing before then or at the same time but I suspect a director could be hired to shepherd the project. It was three years from when Reeves was hired to filming The Batman.

Last edited:
Right...but WB is not going to put Henry in that (and likely Shazam 2) and then reboot in the same time frame. Superman isnt Batman. (on screen) If Henry has cameos lined up then he is Superman with no reboot most likely coming for half a decade.

I disagree, the way Hamada, Lee & Berlanti talking about the multiverse they even explicitly said that there could be multiple versions of the same characters in film aswell as on television.

With all the safety measures for filming there’s no way Cavill is doing three or fours Witcher seasons plus MOS.

Small cameos would give him some money but allow WB to move forward with a reboot when ready.

I think it's best long term for the character and the franchise as a whole to reboot.
Ten years ago the thought of having two competing cinematic versions of one A-list comic book character would be considered insane, but with this Affleck announcement as well as the Keaton news, this easily seems like a very possible direction for them to take with Superman going forward.

Ironically, they were originally planning to have the Snyder Superman be in a standalone universe with no other superheroes(similar to Nolan and Reeves’s Batman) and then have a different version of Superman for the Justice League crossovers but of course things changed after Avengers.

I think , in the end , we're going to end up with two different Supermen on screen. Cavill for potential team up films , and a JJ Abrams or another director driven reboot.

I tend to think the next Superman related film project will probably be Superman in a supporting role with Cavill donning the cape.

I'm just not so sure they're working on a stand alone film with it be a reboot or not, at this point.

I do think they want the character back in action on film in some form or another.

Superman Vs Brainiac. In a huge epic film with hope and majesty and all the wonderful attributes of Superman. Why has WB consistently failed in bringing the obvious to the big screen? There’s only a repository of mostly successful comic stories since like the last 40 years which they could adapt from. But they know sooooo much better with the movies like having Burton’s Lexiac, come up with new “better uber cooler” villains like Ty Zor, or some variant of Zod or Lex.

I hope one day Michael Emerson is cast he would be the perfect Brainiac!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"