The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I find it fascinating with all the technology and social media around all we have as an official full logo reveal is a crappy blurry photo from the screen of a presentation.

I find it fascinating with all the technology and social media around all we have as an official full logo reveal is a crappy blurry photo from the screen of a presentation.
That same tech is used to prevent such leaks... Apparently.

I agree, I think it's super weird they haven't sent round an 'official' look at the logo. It makes all the comparisons a bit unfair, as it's being judged on a poor quality shot.

Well is like they try so hard to keep things "under wraps" and from leaking and so forth, and when the time finally comes then they just drop the ball. We don't even have a clean looking logo but an incomplete basketball version up close and a low-res image someone happened to take a picture of. It's so weird.
There was A LOT of talk about the Fantastic Four and then Marvel just went "Ok, here's the logo, here's the final cast, here are the costumes, happy? Now wait for it".

Alex Ross designed that S for the Superman from the Kingdom Come story.

Still don't understand why they're giving it to a (supposed) Superman inspired by For All Seasons / All Star.
Maybe because they are fundamentally very similar interpretations/characterizations.

It’s not like a director who thinks it is a great idea to create an amalgamation of Death of Superman/All Star/ and Injustice.

I don't know why the idea of mixing and matching different attributes or aesthetic variations is so foreign to people. It's the one instance of fans being parochial that I don't get at all. :whoops:

I don't know why the idea of mixing and matching different attributes or aesthetic variations is so foreign to people.
images

I agree, I think it's super weird they haven't sent round an 'official' look at the logo. It makes all the comparisons a bit unfair, as it's being judged on a poor quality shot.
Betting Gunn drops it officially with the suit reveal.

I don't know why the idea of mixing and matching different attributes or aesthetic variations is so foreign to people. It's the one instance of fans being parochial that I don't get at all. :whoops:
I am all for it, so long as it keeps to the core attributes of the character. But when you try to introduce elements of Injustice (where he is the villain) into a main line Superman film just because you think he will be more interesting with an edge, then I think that’s a disservice.

I’m kind of in the Mark Waid camp when he said that “at this point the bar has been lowered so much that if you make a Superman movie where he isn’t killing someone, you’ve made a good, respectable film.”

I am all for it, so long as it keeps to the core attributes of the character. But when you try to introduce elements of Injustice (where he is the villain) into a main line Superman film just because you think he will be more interesting with an edge, then I think that’s a disservice.

I’m kind of in the Mark Waid camp when he said that “at this point the bar has been lowered so much that if you make a Superman movie where he isn’t killing someone, you’ve made a good, respectable film.”
I was mainly just talking to the appropriation of the KC-style logo lol, but sure, I agree with all of that, too.

I’m sensing a certain lack of curiosity in those opposing the Kingdom Come emblem.

I could see finding it odd that Gunn opted to go with a piece of iconography associated with an older Superman for this early Superman story, but don’t you at least figure the man has his reasons?

I’m sensing a certain lack of curiosity in those opposing the Kingdom Come emblem.

I could see finding it odd that Gunn opted to go with a piece of iconography associated with an older Superman for this early Superman story, but don’t you at least figure the man has his reasons?
Meanwhile I'm over here saying "f*** Kingdom Come, that's the Warworld Saga emblem!" :funny:

Superman-Warworld-Apocalypse-1-1.jpg

And yes I realize Gunn has been posting pics of Kingdom Come from the get-go, and almost certainly got it from that, but Warworld was probably the best Superman run of the last decade (or two) so let me have this! :argh::legacy:

I think he chose that symbol because he likes the look of it. I don't think using the Kingdom Come design but taking inspiration from All Seasons / All Star as far as story or character goes is setting the story up for some sort of clashing nature.

Meanwhile I'm over here saying "f*** Kingdom Come, that's the Warworld Saga emblem!" :funny:

And yes I realize Gunn has been posting pics of Kingdom Come from the get-go, and almost certainly got it from that, but Warworld was probably the best Superman run of the last decade (or two) so let me have this! :argh::legacy:
1712825657432.gif

Since the late Golden Age, the “S” in the Superman symbol has been stylized. This has varied by artist or era. But fair to say that the degree of stylization can impart a certain graphical “ambiguity” to the symbol. And, arguably, this has contributed to its iconic fame. Also (and I’m speculating), this eventually led to the retcon notion that the :super: could plausibly pass for an alien glyph which “coincidentally” resembled the letter “S.”

IMO, the Gunn/KC version of the symbol is starkly minimalist. So taken in isolation, the thick diagonal bar doesn’t immediately convey the idea of an “S.” Of course, it won’t be in isolation. For one thing, it’ll be framed within the familiar pentagon shape. For another, it’ll be affixed to guy in a blue bodysuit and red cape. I.e., no one will be confused by the symbol.
The new:legacy:is fine.

Excuse me while I go visit the “It’s a bird, it’s a plane, David Corenswet is The Unbloodied Sword” thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"