The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Hoult isn’t my favorite for Lex, but I have to say he looks a LOT like Birthright Lex.

and I’m sorry Boom but that guy looks nothing like Superman to me, and the look is as important as skill with this character.

Hoult isn’t my favorite for Lex, but I have to say he looks a LOT like Birthright Lex.

and I’m sorry Boom but that guy looks nothing like Superman to me, and the look is as important as skill with this character.

You'll come to see the vision once he's cast. :cwink:

But on a more widely agreed upon note:

FwHzEHJX0AASBPl

I'm actually kinda hoping they cast a non-white actress for Lois. Not gonna lie, seeing the images of Corenswet, Hoult and any of the Lois candidates side by side it's like... I saw some comments on Twitter calling it the whitest cast ever and I can understand it lmfao

One bit I found interesting mentioned in the THR article is this one:

And I'm just gonna take a wild guess here and say... one of those heroes will be Bruce Wayne lmfao.

Batman is the character that Gunn specifically singled out as an example as "heroes that have already existed in the universe", it makes sense that Gunn would want to just cast him by himself and take full ownership of at least the casting of the DCU Batman since it's the biggest character next to Superman, his inclusion gives the easiest shorthand in the world to communicate to the audience it's a new cinematic universe while leaving zero doubts it's not connected to Pattinson's, and Brave and the Bold is literally the next JL character movie that comes after this one. He's also kinda easy to introduce as just a businessman that's dealing with Lex or someone that Clark or Lois have to interview.

It also allows for Gunn to directly cast Batman based on how well he pairs with his Superman, which would make sense since their dynamic is gonne be foundational for this universe.

The Authority might also appear here I guess.

God I would LOVE a World’s Finest movie at some point. Preferably one where the two heroes are NOT beating the living snot out of each other.

Maybe if you're just looking at a few pics. He acts absolutely nothing like Cavill, his entire screen presence is WILDLY different than Cavill's, he's already shown more range in a handful of roles than Cavill has in his entire career, his voice is totally different, and they basically have nothing in common except having a similar Superman look. Which, idk, seems like something you'd have to stomach from Superman candidates.

I'm totally stoked Corenswet is in contention and seems to be among the finalists.:coolguy:

Of the names mentioned by Hollywood reporter, he's the best choice imo.

I also don't see him as being like Cavill at all.

And Brosnahan being up for Lois Lane with an apparently good screentest is Chef's kiss:bigeyes:.

If this is our Lois and Clark , sign me up for the Superman Legacy Hype train

actor-david-corenswet-121596_small.jpg

Rachel-Brosnahan-a582bf74b59247e499a4cffa7bc53528.jpg

Corenswet is like a cocktail of Henry Cavill, Tom Welling and Hayden Christensen.

I do see the similarities to Cavill. Corenswet just has a fuller face, his features aren't as sharp and he doesn't look quite so "British."

A couple thoughts:

1. Borys seems REALLY confident about who is up for the part. Going so far as giving some snark to Kroll. Speaking of...

2. Kroll throwing shade at the THR article and Deadline & The Wrap having almost identical 'anti-articles' makes me think there is some damage control going down.

Of the names mentioned, Corenswet would be my favorite for Superman. Tom Britteny is a decent actor, but looks like Jai Courtney to me and Andrew Richardson at least visually is a no for me.

Rachel Brosnahan is my favorite by far for Lois, but Im fine with the other actresses outside of the Bridgerton chick.

Richardson's features are a little too soft for my taste. His face reminds me a lot of Charlie Cox.

What I like about Corenswet is that he isn't so chiseled and angular as Cavill. He's got a bit more meat on his bones.

c2d732cd9e7bfe8b46235507a8c6a69960437697.gif

I'm totally stoked Corenswet is in contention and seems to be among the finalists.:coolguy:

Of the names mentioned by Hollywood reporter, he's the best choice imo.

I also don't see him as being like Cavill at all.

And Brosnahan being up for Lois Lane with an apparently good screentest is Chef's kiss:bigeyes:.

If this is our Lois and Clark , sign me up for the Superman Legacy Hype train

actor-david-corenswet-121596_small.jpg

Rachel-Brosnahan-a582bf74b59247e499a4cffa7bc53528.jpg
If they are cast, that is just crazy. They are two of the top fancasts for the role. Gunn really listening to fans here if true… love to see it.

Hoult is unequivocally a better fit for Lex than he is for Clark. There isn't a single shred of "midwestern farm boy" to be found in that man at all.
I agree but I would much rather Cooper to be cast than Hoult, so my far fetched hope is that Cooper is already Lex and they were considering Hoult for Superman (but went with Corenswet).

I really like the idea of Hoult as Birthright/Smallville Lex. If they’re going with a Lex who is the same age as Superman, then you can’t do much better than Hoult.

This would be a perfect cast IMO

Superman - David Corenswet
Lois Lane - Rachel Brosnahan
Lex Luthor - Bradley Cooper
Martian Manhunter - Abubakar Salim
Parasite - Jesse Plemons
Lobo - Jason Momoa

I trust Gunn's instincts but I would really prefer a Lex that is at least 10 years older than Clark.

If they are cast, that is just crazy. They are two of the top fancasts for the role. Gunn really listening to fans here if true… love to see it.
To get the general audience I think Gunn and WBD will cast a certain way for Supes. I think they want to get the Top Gun Maverick fan treatment for this movie. Gunn will listen to the fans but he also will look at what made films like Maverick make so much money.

David Corenswet is too perfect for the role, it needs to just happen. I was never a fan of Cavill for the role. Cavill’s name came up for Superman on the Hype clear back in 03 (maybe sooner), and I never liked the idea. 20 years later and my opinion hasn’t changed. He just doesn’t have the chops. That’s why he didn’t get the role in Returns, and why his acting career hasn’t taken off as much as it should have. Looking back at popular fancasts of the time, Jim Caviezel should have gotten a shot at Superman. But at this point, Corenswet is the popular fancast AND he has the chops AND he is American. They should get this guy locked in for at LEAST 1 Superman trilogy and 1 JL trilogy.

And if Gunn is casting Batman for this as well...

761bc2227335a9572806a02c7c267f7b.gif
I like this idea, but I wouldn’t put Pace as Batman on the same level as Corenswet as Superman. Fans have been surprisingly in support of Corenswet from the beginning. The Batman fan casting is split into more camps IMO.

Though they are likely aged out, part of me still wants Jon Hamm and Willem Dafoe as Batman and Joker. I think they would be so close to fitting my ideal look for both characters.

If it’s Corenswet or someone in his age range, Mackey strikes me as a bit too young for Lois.

Lois being younger than Clark just doesn’t track for me. Same age or a bit older makes much more sense for someone of her career status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"