The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

It is such a weird thing to say that the reason you want something is because you want to see other people unhappy. Is that how you form your opinions?
Yeah because I think everyone is exaggerating over the fact that it could not possibly work so now I actually want to see it.

I've never had an issue with the collar... Do I want traditional neckline, yeah.
But if it does look a bit off due to Corenswet's build, and the collar solves the visual then I'd be good with it.

What I like about the wide neckline is it suggests Supes's costume is comfortable, which says something character-wise. It conveys that it's like a second skin, his true self. The collar contradicts that a bit and looks militaristic. It sounds like a silly minor detail, but it kinda subtracts good elements for me.

Yeah the collar makes it look like he belongs to a group where we the wider neck he seems to be a one man idea.

I quite like the collar tbh.

I think it gives the suit a slightly more regal feel - which I accept only really works if the suit is perceived more as a Kryptonian uniform of sort, not something Martha (or Clark himself) put together. I've read the argument before that Superman should not come across as regal, which I agree with in terms of his attitude and characteristics. However I don't think his clothing alone will make people feel he's more distanced from them just because he has a collar.

High collars (e.g., Mandarin, Nehru, etc.) are certainly a thing — a specific fashion embellishment. It’s not as if they’re intrinsically ugly. So the argument for Supes not having a high collar comes down to tradition, not aesthetics.

He should have a collar like a priest where you can take it off after a long day of superhero work

Terence Rosemore filled in for Wendell Pierce at the table read.

I wonder if Jenniffer Holland and Freddie Stroma filled in for the Kents?

Posting a rugby player every day until the suit reveal Day 13:

5c6884cba1fe8027a5c8a664ab62a21a.jpg

High collars (e.g., Mandarin, Nehru, etc.) are certainly a thing — a specific fashion embellishment. It’s not as if they’re intrinsically ugly. So the argument for Supes not having a high collar comes down to tradition, not aesthetics.
I dont like it aesthetically, but also, generally speaking, I associate high collars with villains... which is obviously not the vibe I want.

befunky_2024-2-5_19-57-16.jpg

I dont like it aesthetically, but also, generally speaking, I associate high collars with villains... which is obviously not the vibe I want.

View attachment 85251
There's more than one way to design a collar and depending on how the suit looks it can easily be balanced out by other elements (trunks, for example). Also it really really depends on how David looks.

There's more than one way to design a collar and depending on how the suit looks it can easily be balanced out by other elements (trunks, for example). Also it really really depends on how David looks.
Sure. Its just a mental association for me that I'd rather avoid.

I also don't agree at all about David's neck looking too thin.

Sure. Its just a mental association for me that I'd rather avoid.

I also don't agree at all about David's neck looking too thin.
On a vacuum I don't think it's that his neck "looks thin" but rather it does depend on how his body looks with the suit on to see if he'd need a collar or not. His neck is visibly longer than other Supermen so I could easily see him needing it so the suit doesn't look weird otherwise.

I suspect the unfortunate but probable roids will help David’s neck just fine. Not that he needed that or frankly to bulk up anymore than he already was.

At the rate we're going, Lily made end up running out of rugby photos before we get our first look at the costume.

They basically gave Thor a collar in Ragnarok because of Hemsworth’s long neck and the fact that he was more lean/ripped in that one than he was in the previous ones (or the one that came after for that matter), so I’m certainly not ruling out the possibility they’ll do that for David as well, I’d just prefer they didn’t because of what a collar represents to me - rank, formality, elitism. Concepts that just don’t suit Superman imo. But I wouldn’t be too mad about it as long as it looked good.

Seriously though, I was expecting we'd have seen more by now!

Here's an MOS timeline for comparison:

Principal photography begins: August 1st 2011

First official image of the suit: August 4th 2011

First set photos of the suit: August 23rd.

Right now, we know principal photography started Feb 29th and we're about to hit April with nothing but the 'S' ☹️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"