The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

View attachment 87627View attachment 87628View attachment 87629View attachment 87630

Methinks you don’t know what Bane or Solomon Grundy look like if you think this guy looks more like them than Jonathan Kent.

This Pa Kent has been living on a diet of butter and white gravy like most farmers. He’s no Bane.

One comic image whereas in most he's tall and either somewhat muscular in an ex jock way or lanky. Not to mention the previous image showed him in a muscle shirt where he looked more big muscular than big fat - like a mobster enforcer (which is probably the kinds of characters he's known to play the most, for an obvious reason). He looks like an older Drew Powell (if you don't get that reference methinks you never saw the prior incarnation of Solomon Grundy in live action a la 'Gotham.')

As I have already said - he isn't the classic Pa Kent. Don't like that I don't agree? Your problem. Not mine. :eyeroll:

Last edited:
As I have already said - he isn't the classic Pa Kent. Don't like that I don't agree? Your problem. Not mine. :eyeroll:
IMG_4059.gif
No offense intended. I’m just pointing out that the actor certainly doesn’t look like any comic book incarnation of Bane or Solomon Grundy that I’ve ever seen. And yes, admittedly I never saw the Gotham versions of those characters, but if someone is basing their understanding of any comic book character on Gotham, well that explains the disconnect.

I’m not sure that I agree that Jonathan Kent is typically portrayed as tall and lanky and ex jock. At least not in the comic stories that I have read. I think he is typically malleable to what the writer wants to do with him, which is why I’m fine with Gunn using Pruitt as he’s a good actor. But if anything, Jonathan is usually an older, somewhat feeble farmer whose best days are behind him and is a reminder of humanity’s mortality.

View attachment 87634
No offense intended. I’m just pointing out that the actor certainly doesn’t look like any comic book incarnation of Bane or Solomon Grundy that I’ve ever seen. And yes, admittedly I never saw the Gotham versions of those characters, but if someone is basing their understanding of any comic book character on Gotham, well that explains the disconnect.

I’m not sure that I agree that Jonathan Kent is typically portrayed as tall and lanky and ex jock. At least not in the comic stories that I have read. I think he is typically malleable to what the writer wants to do with him, which is why I’m fine with Gunn using Pruitt as he’s a good actor. But if anything, Jonathan is usually an older, somewhat feeble farmer whose best days are behind him and is a reminder of humanity’s mortality.

You’re the one upset that I didn’t and still don’t agree that he’s classic Pa Kent. 🤷‍♂️

As you said - feeble - and to me he doesn’t look that way at all. Someone in here even recently said they wanted him for Kingpin; that’s the direct opposite of feeble. Guy resembles an enforcer type albeit older.

There’s big fat and then there’s big muscular, like Ben Grimm. He’s more the second than the first.

You’re the one upset that I didn’t and still don’t agree that he’s classic Pa Kent. 🤷‍♂️

As you said - feeble - and to me he doesn’t look that way at all. Someone in here even recently said they wanted him for Kingpin; that’s the direct opposite of feeble.
Yeah. I’m not arguing with you. You miss the part where I said the character is malleable. Or you ignore it.

But I will agree that he’s different than Kevin Costner or Bo Duke.

Yeah. I’m not arguing with you. You miss the part where I said the character is malleable. Or you ignore it.

But I will agree that he’s different than Kevin Costner or Bo Duke.

To me, he isn’t that malleable - where I can buy someone who was probably enforcer in his day as Pa Kent (mobster, cop, etc). That’s just me though.

It’s akin to how Andy Serkis is very far from the classic Alfred, but in a different way.

Adding: also the recent hot Aunt May. These can work, but they’re also far from the norm.

Hot Take: Padding a Superman suit is the dumbest thing in the world.
To be fair, the materials they use for modern superhero costumes tend to actually compress and flatten out the musculature of the wearer (see Routh). A little bit of padding and sculpting makes sense to restore what is lost. Obviously that is very different from the crap we saw in the Snyder films.

To me, he isn’t that malleable - where I can buy someone who was probably enforcer in his day as Pa Kent (mobster, cop, etc). That’s just me though.

It’s akin to how Andy Serkis is very far from the classic Alfred, but in a different way.

Adding: also the recent hot Aunt May. These can work, but they’re also far from the norm.
I can see that. I thought that your primary objection to him was physical only. But it seems that it’s more than that.

I guess the disconnect for me is that I don’t only see Pruitt Taylor Vince as a mobster. Mostly I would have thought of him as a serial killer but after seeing him in TWD as a country farm boy type, I have a more diverse view of him.

To be fair, the materials they use for modern superhero costumes tend to actually compress and flatten out the musculature of the wearer (see Routh). A little bit of padding and sculpting makes sense to restore what is lost. Obviously that is very different from the crap we saw in the Snyder films.
I can still recall how shapeless that Cap suit was in The Avengers, which is insane considering how big Evans got.

You don’t want to go overboard with the padding, but you do need something.

View attachment 87634

To be fair, I feel like tall and lanky has become the typical portrayal of Pa Kent in recent decades. It is consistent with my personal experience with older farmers growing up in a rural area.

Nevertheless, it is not the depiction I grew up. The Post-Crisis versions I grew up with seemed to be shorter and even a little heavyset and definitely not feeble (Personally, I have always preferred the versions where both Kents are alive):
ma-and-pa.jpg

33cc893a5207ccb9fc673a8b6d223ffc.jpg

D6YXlM9WwAISyrI.jpg

Now I have to admit a bald Pa Kent is a bit hard to get used to from a visual standpoint. I hope at least they get Taylor-Vince to grow out his "Power Donut". White dudes with shaved heads just does not have a positive connotation for me. :funny:

Eddie Jones remains “my” Jonathan Kent so I’ll have no problem accepting one that’s physically different from the more recent incarnations.
Eddie Jones former coach of Australia rugby is not the Pa Kent I'd want 😱

Neither is this Pruitt chap my head cannon Pa Kent, but it is what it is and, as long as he doesn't suggest Clark should have allowed let a bunch of schoolkids die, I think I'll be good with him 🤣

Wasn't it said in a "leak" a while back that the Kent's would be basically "unknowns" and not major stars. I understand this guy has been around but I don't recognise him from anything but I am excited and I'm Super excited he doesn't look like Superman.

Does it worry anyone at all that there is no names with serious star power? I myself prefer picking the best actors that suit the role, but the other day I was talking about this movie with my sister and she asked who was going to be in it, and I was like, "Probably not a single person you would know."

It worries me that there is probably a large number of people that would look at the cast and lose interest because it has no actors that they know other than probably Nicholas Hoult.

Eddie Jones remains “my” Jonathan Kent so I’ll have no problem accepting one that’s physically different from the more recent incarnations.
Mine too but I still have a big soft spot for Glenn Ford.

Does it worry anyone at all that there is no names with serious star power? I myself prefer picking the best actors that suit the role.....
Yeah a little, I'm with you on picking the best actors for the role and I get that WB and Zaslev are strapping their belts a little bit but a bit of star power wouldn't hurt the marketing of a movie that really, REALLY needs to succeed.

Although I think there are still some roles to be filled like maybe Jor-el, Lara and maybe the big baddie (there has to be one). I'm guessing Ma Kent (if she's in it at all) will be a unknown like pa Kent.

Last edited:
Does it worry anyone at all that there is no names with serious star power? I myself prefer picking the best actors that suit the role, but the other day I was talking about this movie with my sister and she asked who was going to be in it, and I was like, "Probably not a single person you would know."

It worries me that there is probably a large number of people that would look at the cast and lose interest because it has no actors that they know other than probably Nicholas Hoult.

I think "James Gunn of GOTG fame" and "DC Studios' inaugural movie/Superman" would be doing a lot of the selling here. Possibly the trailers do the rest of the work.

I think "James Gunn of GOTG fame" and "DC Studios' inaugural movie/Superman" would be doing a lot of the selling here. Possibly the trailers do the rest of the work.
It will certainly come down to the trailer as most movies do but yeah if the trailer is like Bam! This is the Superman movie you have been waiting for! Then yeah it will be fine.

It's needs to have that Fury Road type of energy that makes you go "oh shiz" I have to see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"