The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I completely understand why we as Superman fans feel very burned on endlessly mopey, sadsack imagery featuring the character however I also feel we have now reached a point where if he is not shown grinning in a state of 24/7 bliss at all times people take it as a grievous moral insult.

I completely understand why we as Superman fans feel very burned on endlessly mopey, sadsack imagery featuring the character however I also feel we have now reached a point where if he is not shown grinning in a state of 24/7 bliss at all times people take it as a grievous moral insult.
What's sad is these all could have been better pics for the MOS suit at the time...

Man_of_Steel-580.jpeg

221024162135-man-of-steel-cavill.jpg

I feel like Gunn based every design choice on a desire to differentiate the design from Cavill's. Way more and way different surface detail, way less form fitting, trunks, yellow belt, radically different chest symbol, high collar, cape is higher on shoulders...

Which explains the mix of classic and non-classic elements. He goes more classic where Cavill was less classic, and less classic where Cavill was more classic.

I feel like Gunn based every design choice on a desire to differentiate the design from Cavill's. Way more and way different surface detail, way less form fitting, trunks, yellow belt, radically different chest symbol, high collar, cape is higher on shoulders...

Which explains the mix of classic and non-classic elements. He goes more classic where Cavill was less classic, and less classic where Cavill was more classic.
With Man of Steel I was expecting a suit very different from the previous ones meaning no trunks. I also felt that since Nolan we would get something akin to Bale's Batsuits.

That’s not what I got from that at all. Lol

I guess it’s a Rorschach test.

I saw it as him going right back out to fight again. He’s not stopping between emergencies clean his costume. Stop a fire, thinks he’s about to get a break, nope.. put your uniform back on….
That is what I saw as well. Next he kisses Lois as he flies out the door!

That is what I saw as well. Next he kisses Lois as he flies out the door!

Seeing as how it's James Gunn, I'd be surprised if there isn't at least a certain amount of satirical genre-savvy humor, like in The Incredibles when Syndrome's robot is attacking and Frozone is trying to find his super suit that his wife put somewhere.

I just hope they don't go too far with it, we don't need a Superman who casually diddles around like One Punch Man when bad guys are attacking.

Gunn hasn't said anything on Threads since the picture. Anything on Twitter?

So any theories on why Gunn is playing around with Corenswet's eyebrows? It's probably the most puzzling part of this.
The threat I never saw coming. I need to know what is going on with that! This, not the suit, is the thing that will actually drive me crazy. :weeping:

The threat I never saw coming. I need to know what is going on with that! This, not the suit, is the thing that will actually drive me crazy. :weeping:
Is there any artists rendition of Superman that has like very light eyebrows or whatever? It's really puzzling. I don't get what he's getting at with that at all.

At least we can agree on the brows! Superman's thick, dark brows have always been a visual staple. I don't know why they insisted on lightening David's already perfect brows.

Costume design aside, I'm also surprised that Gunn didn't go with a more classic/traditional pose for the costume reveal.

That’s not what I got from that at all. Lol

I guess it’s a Rorschach test.

I saw it as him going right back out to fight again. He’s not stopping between emergencies clean his costume. Stop a fire, thinks he’s about to get a break, nope.. put your uniform back on….
Yeah I don't see a guy looking sad. I see a guy who's gonna help, even if all the other heroes, the government, the people, whoever, have told him he's not needed or that they don't want him around. I see the resolve of a guy who's got work to do, because he can't turn a blind eye. Rorschach test indeed!

So any theories on why Gunn is playing around with Corenswet's eyebrows? It's probably the most puzzling part of this.
@flickchick85 previously suggested that his brows might have been made lighter to give Superman's clone, also played by David, a more bizarre or otherworldly appearance. If that theory doesn't pan out, I'm just going to chalk it up to his hair's natural light undertones (see image below), which are more visible now in the portions that haven't been darkened—his brows, for instance—probably due to contrast and lighting. It'll be easier to say for sure once we have a better picture of him, though.

BB1hlPJm.img

@flickchick85 previously suggested that his brows might have been made lighter to give Superman's clone, also played by David, a more bizarre or otherworldly appearance. If that theory doesn't pan out, I'm just going to chalk it up to his hair's natural light undertones (see image below), which are more visible now in the portions that haven't been darkened—his brows, for instance—probably due to contrast and lighting. It'll be easier to say for sure once we have a better picture of him, though.

BB1hlPJm.img
Huge gulf between that^^^...

438581854_742676277696925_4989314940270641310_n.jpg

...and this. THEY DID THIS. I must know why!!! :argh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"