• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Literally no one expects Superman to make as much as Batman lol. As I've said, I expect $600 million to be their worldwide target, and that would ABSOLUTELY be a significant success considering the state of DC and the string of massive failures that have paved the way for this. But $500mil would not actually be "embarrassing" either. This movie has a HUGE uphill climb ahead of it. DC is essentially in as low a place now as it was before Batman Begins came out. If this movie's profitable and well-received, it's a win, period.
Yup. I think people are setting themselves up for a huge disappointment if they're expecting more than 600 mill.
For one, the last round of DC films have left a bad taste in most people's mouths, so this film already has a huge hill to climb.

And two, it doesn't have any added star power that makes the average film goer go "oh", so and so is in it, so I've got to see this". And Yes, people do that, I've seen some Depp and Downey Jr films just because they were in it.

imo, 550 to maybe 600, with a good reception, should be considered a win.

One thing that has been severely lacking in the more recent Superman films is the chemistry between Lois and Clark and the whole secret identity thing. I think by going back to an established superman and hitting on those things that really haven't been done in the modern films you do end up appealing to a broader audience.

I think the films have taken for granted that aspect of the character by completely doing away with it right from the beginning or throwing in a weird subplot about a son he abandoned.

Obviously it's way to early to discuss box office, but I think depending on where it lands it affects the future. If it gets to 500-600, maybe they don't go all in on this shared universe or vice versa if those aspects are well received.

From my perspective, I'd much rather they focus on getting a Superman sequel into production instead of taking 5 year breaks in between to get to other characters. To me, you have to strike while the iron is hot. I think what Marvel did to Shang Chi and to some extent, black panther, was a disservice to those characters by not getting the sequels out sooner.

I think the general audience doesn't care what product they are being sold as long as it looks good they will join in.
I very much disagree - pre-COVID, yes - I'd have agreed.

But post-2020, things have changed. If a film looks good/great - people might see it but a larger majority will wait for streaming.

If it looks like an event - only then will they go to the theater. And what qualifies as an event is getting smaller and smaller. Oppenheimer/Barbie was an event. Spider-Man: No Way Home and Dune: Part II were events. Outside of those, films have been breaking even at the BO.

Superman has to look like a huge deal that gets pop culture rallied behind it like those films. And it's an uphill battle with that IP and even The Batman seemed like it came and went fast. Felt like a week or two after it came out, nobody was talking about it.

This is gonna be a tough one.

But post-2020, things have changed. If a film looks good/great - people might see it but a larger majority will wait for streaming.

If it looks like an event - only then will they go to the theater. And what qualifies as an event is getting smaller and smaller. Oppenheimer/Barbie was an event. Spider-Man: No Way Home and Dune: Part II were events. Outside of those, films have been breaking even at the BO.

Superman has to look like a huge deal that gets pop culture rallied behind it like those films. And it's an uphill battle with that IP and even The Batman seemed like it came and went fast. Felt like a week or two after it came out, nobody was talking about it.

By looking good I was implying an Event, I have watched the cinema die so I know what you mean. Just didn't use the right wording.

I don't know if what I'm about to say is an absolute truth (and I'm not sure that's well articulate enough), but I think we have to bear in mind that the golden age of superhero movies has now lasted almost 15 years. We can talk about a certain fatigue setting in, but I think there's also a generational parameter to take into account.

Taking the MCU as a symbol of all this, I've always considered that part of its enormous success was also due to the fact that many kids born in the 2000s grew up with this saga. These films accompanied them and fed their imagination for an entire decade, practically an entire childhood.
In my opinion, there are two reasons for the drop in attendance at these films right now. The first is that this saga (and the genre as a whole, with its "extended-universe" ideal) came to a certain conclusion with Endgame and saw the departure of several of its most famous figures. The second is that this "ending" coincides with the moment when most of its audience is entering adulthood and perhaps no longer has the same interest or time to devote to it (because of work, family, life). Add to this the objective decline in the quality of these films and the difficulty of finding a new direction, and you've got the perfect recipe for making it easy to split with part of the audience and failing to renew it.
Of course, there will always be fans to follow everything, whatever their age, but it seems to me that today, in the usual age range of moviegoers, i.e. 8-25 age group, interest has naturally shifted to other things, particularly manga and anime. In any case, if my environment is anything to go by, we now have teenagers and even young adults who, for example, have never seen Nolan's Batman trilogy, Iron Man and so on. Because they were just too young to catch it while it was developping or because, quite simply, they've their own other things...

Of course, that doesn't mean they can't love CBM. But the challenge for DCU will be to reach these people, because as I said, I don't think the target audience is as “dedicated to the cause” as it used to be. I can hear the argument that the pandemic slowed things down, but that was four years ago, enough time to see trends appear or fade. And I'm not even talking about changes in the way movies are consumed, which is a whole other, but impactful, subject.

Of course I can be completely wrong with this “analysis” but my point is that in any case, realistically, DC and Warner should set themselves targets for figures in the range of what a good CBM could do around 2010. This Superman will be released in a very different context than recent CBM and I'm not sure Gunn is bulletproof (no pun intended).

I don't know if what I'm about to say is an absolute truth (and I'm not sure that's well articulate enough), but I think we have to bear in mind that the golden age of superhero movies has now lasted almost 15 years. We can talk about a certain fatigue setting in, but I think there's also a generational parameter to take into account.

Taking the MCU as a symbol of all this, I've always considered that part of its enormous success was also due to the fact that many kids born in the 2000s grew up with this saga. These films accompanied them and fed their imagination for an entire decade, practically an entire childhood.
In my opinion, there are two reasons for the drop in attendance at these films right now. The first is that this saga (and the genre as a whole, with its "extended-universe" ideal) came to a certain conclusion with Endgame and saw the departure of several of its most famous figures. The second is that this "ending" coincides with the moment when most of its audience is entering adulthood and perhaps no longer has the same interest or time to devote to it (because of work, family, life). Add to this the objective decline in the quality of these films and the difficulty of finding a new direction, and you've got the perfect recipe for making it easy to split with part of the audience and failing to renew it.
Of course, there will always be fans to follow everything, whatever their age, but it seems to me that today, in the usual age range of moviegoers, i.e. 8-25 age group, interest has naturally shifted to other things, particularly manga and anime. In any case, if my environment is anything to go by, we now have teenagers and even young adults who, for example, have never seen Nolan's Batman trilogy, Iron Man and so on. Because they were just too young to catch it while it was developping or because, quite simply, they've their own other things...

Of course, that doesn't mean they can't love CBM. But the challenge for DCU will be to reach these people, because as I said, I don't think the target audience is as “dedicated to the cause” as it used to be. I can hear the argument that the pandemic slowed things down, but that was four years ago, enough time to see trends appear or fade. And I'm not even talking about changes in the way movies are consumed, which is a whole other, but impactful, subject.

Of course I can be completely wrong with this “analysis” but my point is that in any case, realistically, DC and Warner should set themselves targets for figures in the range of what a good CBM could do around 2010. This Superman will be released in a very different context than recent CBM and I'm not sure Gunn is bulletproof (no pun intended).
I think why the MCU worked so well with people is that it had a hinted at endpoint from very early on. It wasn't a tall order to ask people to follow an episodic series knowing full well it was building to a conclusion.

Now it seems like things go on forever - Star Wars, MCU, DC, etc. That's a bit taller of an ask to encourage your audience to engage indefinitely in an era of 'constant content'. It's a chore, really.

And you're right - we're a generation away from the start of the MCU. I don't know if the DCU and MCU can keep roping in their old, fatigued audience - and I don't know the younger generation/kids consider superhero films 'their' thing. The genre is inherently 'older', in their eyes. They may feel it's not 'cool', because of that.

I also feel there's a shift people have made from quantity to quality. It's happening from everything from film, TV to fast food.

Either way, I'm starting to feel like the whole 'building a new DC cinematic universe' is more akin to releasing a disco album in 1983 than striking while the iron is still hot.

Literally no one expects Superman to make as much as Batman lol. As I've said, I expect $600 million to be their worldwide target, and that would ABSOLUTELY be a significant success considering the state of DC and the string of massive failures that have paved the way for this. But $500mil would not actually be "embarrassing" either. This movie has a HUGE uphill climb ahead of it. DC is essentially in as low a place now as it was before Batman Begins came out. If this movie's profitable and well-received, it's a win, period.
I didn't say he needed to do Batman numbers but Bats proves that you can still hit a an impressive number.

Superman should be going up and not going down in terms of box office. MoS improved off of Returns.

This is the face of the new DCU and it needs to prove it can make money. People have complained about having 10 years since a solo Superman. Well here he is. He's had enough time from Cavills Superman that the film can prove that people are still interested in the character.

If it makes less than MOS did back in the day I'll view it as a bad thing. Everyone knows we're in a reboot. We went through 3 Spider-Man franchises in a 10yr period. Either the hype is there or it isn't

From my perspective, I simply just lost interest in the MCU and I think I would consider myself as part of the core audience that grew up with Marvel in the 90s. Also lived through the time where comic book movies were more often terrible than good. So if I'm having a difficult time being interested in the content it's an issue.

I'm interested in Superman and Batman, so from my end it's an annoyance when you include other characters that aren't part of the Superman universe such as metamorpho, green lantern, Hawkgirl and Mr. Terrific.

I will obviously still watch Superman but given the time constraints I have with other commitments (i.e. family, work), you have to pick and choose what content to consume.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Completely agree with this. I think the marketing is obviously going to be so important for this movie. It needs to present this film as something that stands out from the rest REALLY clearly. It can't just be another superhero film following the usual formula, that looks like more of the same.

I think using nostalgia can be a good idea, but only if it's combined with a sense of adding to, rather than just rehashing. Like it's good to lean in to how iconic and long standing Superman is, how long he's been a huge pop culture figure.

The release of 'Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story' could help with that for sure.

I also think interviews with David/Rachel will be absolutely key, god I hope they get that right. Let the audience feel their chemistry ahead of the film. Let that chemistry be part of the draw. Barbie got that right with Margot/Ryan press. So did Dune with Zendaya/Timothee. The GA loves seeing that real world spark, that sense that they get on well off screen, that they are going to be fun to watch because at least some of that on screen chemistry is real.

And mam does it jeed good teasers & trailers... 🤞

Completely agree with this. I think the marketing is obviously going to be so important for this movie. It needs to present this film as something that stands out from the rest REALLY clearly. It can't just be another superhero film following the usual formula, that looks like more of the same.

I think using nostalgia can be a good idea, but only if it's combined with a sense of adding to, rather than just rehashing. Like it's good to lean in to how iconic and long standing Superman is, how long he's been a huge pop culture figure.
Agreed though I don't even think that for the majority of audiences that there's any nostalgia of Superman-anything left. Superman IS iconic...but he's more iconic in an Americana recognizability way than anything relevant or that people care about, sadly. Like everyone knows him. But it's whether they care about him is another thing.

He's not been a part of pop culture in any serious way in a long time, sadly. Batman started overshadowing him since '89 and it's been that way ever since, sadly.

Superman does deserve better.

Christopher Reeves' Superman was two to three generations ago - and for Millennials he was the only game in town in our childhood but now we've got Gen Z and Alpha that just doesn't know or connect with his version. They didn't even connect with the recent two.

And the Boomers are a shrinking audience as far as theater-going. Every boomer I knew was interested in the latest Indiana Jones film and Top Gun, but they caught both at home.

I don't think there's any nostalgia for Superman Returns and Cavill was loved as Superman despite his films.

This film's marketing will have to pull off a miracle, IMO. And I am so ready to see it happen - but I'm watching peeking through my fingers, though. :/

Agreed though I don't even think that for the majority of audiences that there's any nostalgia of Superman-anything left. Superman IS iconic...but he's more iconic in an Americana recognizability way than anything relevant or that people care about, sadly. Like everyone knows him. But it's whether they care about him is another thing.

He's not been a part of pop culture in any serious way in a long time, sadly. Batman started overshadowing him since '89 and it's been that way ever since, sadly.

Christopher Reeves' Superman was two to three generations ago - and for Millennials he was the only game in town in our childhood but now we've got Gen Z and Alpha that just doesn't know or connect with his version. They didn't even connect with the recent two.

And the Boomers are a shrinking audience as far as theater-going. Every boomer I knew was interested in the latest Indiana Jones film and Top Gun, but they caught both at home.

I don't think there's any nostalgia for Superman Returns and Cavill was loved as Superman despite his films.

This film's marketing will have to pull off a miracle, IMO. And I am so ready to see it happen - but I'm watching peeking through my fingers, though. :/
Yeah I think that's sadly true. I mean, I grew up with LnC and later Smallville/SR, but other than MOS/Snyderverse (and then after that) there has been a huge chunk of time where Superman seemingly became 'irrelevant' and outdated to most people. MOS tried to bring him into relevancy by jumping on the 'realistic' superhero trend... but it didn't do a good enough job to be memorable for your average Joe. Most people I know thought it was boring 🤷

So yeah... its almost like attempting to cash in on 'theoretical' nostalgia, rather than the tangible kind. Like you said, people know the symbol, the colours, the image of Superman, and they have a sense of the character/s (that he can fly, that he's an alien, Lois Lane is a journalist etc).

I guess its about convincing the audience that the film is going to capture and say something about that character/s that is worth going to the theatre for. Something intriguing. And hopefully something memorable.

Side note - I'm really curious to see whether we get some good needle drops. I'm torn because it's so hard to imagine that working well in a Superman film, but also... that's such a huge part in why GOTG was so stand out to me. So I kind of warily hope there are some brilliant, perfectly timed moments of it here.

No one said anything about adjusted for inflation. It needs to do better than its numbers in general. We arent in a world where superheroes cant make above $500mill.

The Batman made above $700.
Black Panther 2 made above $700
GotG 3 made above $700.

SR made below $400.

$500 is embarrassing for a new Superman reboot.
We'll agree to disagree. Givin all that has happened with the DC brand, mixed in with recent failures of the other brand IP's AND the MCU flopping in recent time, the genre has taken a bit of a step-back (arguably a large one). This reset can be used as an advantage, depending on the internal works of studio expectations. For me personally, I think Superman making between $550-600 mil will be considered a big hit in today's landscape.

I think banking on nostalgia in the marketing would be the absolute wrong move. The primary moviegoing demo has no nostalgia for Superman. Even SR made a mistake banking on nostalgia in its marketing in 2006. The message of this in the marketing should be that this is a fresh, modern, bright and exciting new take on Superman.

Ultimately it will depend on the quality of the film. We have to remember the DCEU has handedly tarnished the DC brand. The Batman had COVID and that reputation going against it and was able to survive due to popularity of the property. Superman has had 2 unsuccessful reboots and there's no guarantee the general audience will come out for a 3rd attempt.
My worry is the breathing room in between films. There's no breathing room to be had between the DCEU and the DCU. The marketing hasn't even started yet and we are only a year out from Superman. They have an extremely tough task ahead of them in the re-brand. I don't trust the studio. They're going to have to show us their competence. At the same time though, they may have a tad more wiggle room setting their own expectations givin the circumstance. It just depends on leadership. It's a weird conundrum.

I think the solution for how this Superman is marketted is almost painfully simple, but incredibly risky to get right.

Superhero media, for the last 10 years, has been genuinely oversaturated with "Evil/Corrupt Superman" characters in movies and TV shows. And in a lot of ways, with regards to the cultural zeitgeist of how Gen Z and alpha perceive masculinity or what being "powerful" looks like (i.e. the "literally me" phenomena with characters who are actually sociopathic but happen to have a jawline)? Superman can serve as the most refreshing goddamn reminder in the world of what genuine sincerity can be. Of the fact that being powerful does not automatically mean you have to be an ***hole. And that, in today's world with how Gen Z and alpha are perceiving media along with looking up to characters they absolutely should not look up to in the slightest, could be highly important to see for Gen Z and Alpha and highly influential if done right

Make these kids believe a man can do more than take their pain out on the world.

Make these kids believe a man can fly again.

If they take that risk and it pays off? Superman is back.

We've been through it all with Superman. Sometimes my mind goes into a thesis on what Superman is and should be. The other side of the equation is: "Make a good movie first" and cross your fingers the GA and a newer audience gravitate towards the story and character. It really is a crap-shoot nowadays. A quintessential take on any of these iconic characters after a CBM boom period in between generations is as subjective as it gets. The main goal at this point is to make Superman a lovable character by any means necessary. That's the challenge with these directors and creative teams nowadays. Make people care. At this juncture, you would want to root for the character throughout the films entire run time. Superman needs to have an overbearing emphasis on him now. I don't care how it's done. Find a way.

I think banking on nostalgia in the marketing would be the absolute wrong move. The primary moviegoing demo has no nostalgia for Superman. Even SR made a mistake banking on nostalgia in its marketing in 2006. The message of this in the marketing should be that this is a fresh, modern, bright and exciting new take on Superman.
Yeah maybe nostalgia is the wrong word for what I'm saying. I just mean.. there has to be SOME power to be weilded in how recognisable Superman's image, symbol, mythology etc is.

Those things are more recognisable than almost any other superhero to the GA. They appear on clothes, mugs, lunchboxes. People say things like 'your not Superman, you know?' or 'it's my kryptonite' in casual conversation.

I don't want them to go the SR nostalgia route where its about replicating the Donner film at all. I just think it's good to make use of the fact he is already in the minds of the public in some way. To celebrate that somehow.

It's more than just another superhero movie. It's SUPERMAN.

You know, Superman fan related issues aside, I remember a lot of my experience of the sadness settling in during the 1st 3rd of the movie was just this crushing dissapointment that I wasn't experiencing it as a good quality film. I was just so assuming (naively) after TDK, and with Nolan/Goyer involved that it would be of similar quality. And the trailers really cemented that.

Yeah maybe nostalgia is the wrong word for what I'm saying. I just mean.. there has to be SOME power to be weilded in how recognisable Superman's image, symbol, mythology etc is.

Those things are more recognisable than almost any other superhero to the GA. They appear on clothes, mugs, lunchboxes. People say things like 'your not Superman, you know?' or 'it's my kryptonite' in casual conversation.

I don't want them to go the SR nostalgia route where its about replicating the Donner film at all. I just think it's good to make use of the fact he is already in the minds of the public in some way. To celebrate that somehow.

It's more than just another superhero movie. It's SUPERMAN.
Yeah I can see that. I just want them to avoid that whole “reverence” vibe that SR’s first teaser had, as that also played into the “untouchable god” image the character is fighting to this day. We don’t want people thinking this movie’s pretentious or self-important. Lean into a modern feel with the soundtrack, and include some real humor that will paint the picture that this is not what you thought “Superman” was. Because most of the people you’re marketing to think of the character as too old-fashioned and/or self-important, which is largely where the “boring” misnomer comes from.

Yeah I can see that. I just want them to avoid that whole “reverence” vibe that SR’s first teaser had, as that also played into the “untouchable god” image the character is fighting to this day. We don’t want people thinking this movie’s pretentious or self-important. Lean into a modern feel with the soundtrack, and include some real humor that will paint the picture that this is not what you thought “Superman” was. Because most of the people you’re marketing to think of the character as too old-fashioned and/or self-important, which is largely where the “boring” misnomer comes from.
Yeah it's definitely not about pointing backwards with it. I actually just did an SR rewatch and it's hard not to cringe in places. But then I'm not a huge fan of the originals, so that nostalgia is lost on me too.

Though paradoxically, I do remember being driven home from seeing SR at the theatre feeling like I was on Cloud 9.

You know, Superman fan related issues aside, I remember a lot of my experience of the sadness settling in during the 1st 3rd of the movie was just this crushing dissapointment that I wasn't experiencing it as a good quality film. I was just so assuming (naively) after TDK, and with Nolan/Goyer involved that it would be of similar quality. And the trailers really cemented that.
That 3rd trailer remains one of my favorite trailers ever. Dat Zimmer score is still incredible. The disappointment was actually not instant with me. For a while I convinced myself it was good. I think my initial review on here was mostly quite positive. It was in the weeks after where I was left to sit and think on some of the choices made that the negativity started to seep in with me. And especially on a later viewing where I watched it with my normie friend who usually likes and buys into everything in these superhero flicks, she was actually laughing at the forced gloom and self-seriousness of some of the scenes, and that’s where I started to realize “oh hey, these scenes actually aren’t good at all” lol. It was a slow, creeping disillusionment with that movie for me. My pre-release hype was just that powerful. :funny:

Which is funny because I already knew I hated both Goyer and Snyder as storytellers. I just really believed Nolan would be the magic ingredient that makes them good. Which means their marketing did its job! :o

That 3rd trailer remains one of my favorite trailers ever. Dat Zimmer score is still incredible. The disappointment was actually not instant with me. For a while I convinced myself it was good. I think my initial review on here was mostly quite positive. It was in the weeks after where I was left to sit and think on some of the choices made that the negativity started to seep in with me. And especially on a later viewing where I watched it with my normie friend who usually likes and buys into everything in these superhero flicks, she was actually laughing at the forced gloom and self-seriousness of some of the scenes, and that’s where I started to realize “oh hey, these scenes actually aren’t good at all” lol. It was a slow, creeping disillusionment with that movie for me. My pre-release hype was just that powerful. :funny:

Which is funny because I already knew I hated both Goyer and Snyder as storytellers. I just really believed Nolan would be the magic ingredient that makes them good. Which means their marketing did its job! :o
I find it funny that the 3rd trailer for Man of Steel gave so much Hype while the BvS one killed it... Because Zodsday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"