• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

FC mentioned Superman and the "untouchable god", and I wonder if the marketing has already begun. The first picture of David is not in any way, that untouchable god. He is dirty, looks kind of tired, seems to be knowing he has to go in for the fight. Makes me think that was the purpose of the first shot. That was what they wanted, and what they will deliver. David still looks good in it.

I think it was certainly the idea, although the execution... left a lot to be desired.

I still think that, since Corenswet and Brosnahan were revealed at the same time, a Superman and Lois reveal probably would've gone on well.

Then again, this is Superman's show and we know that Lois will be in it, so not like it being Clark solo or Clark and Lois would've moved the needle a lot.

Those were one of the best times ever in my fandom as a cinematic fan. I got the Superman I wanted for the time period and in comparison to Superman Returns. Man of Steel aged like fine wine to me. I'll never apologize for loving Cavill when we live in an age where kicking things while the narrative is down is the norm. Now I'm ready for Gunn's take. Life's way too short to be miserable. In the end, this is all for our entertainment. There's no doubt in my mind that there will be a huge sigh of relief the moment David is highlighted. I believe that certain actors were born for role. Reeve, Routh, and Cavill were born to be Superman. So is David. Lets go.

I find it funny that the 3rd trailer for Man of Steel gave so much Hype while the BvS one killed it... Because Zodsday.
That trailer on Kimmel was one of the beginning of the ends for BvS's reception. They showed the payoffs in one trailer because the studio was in mid-panic form. That first trailer for BvS was off the charts. That Kimmel trailer showing Gal and Zodsday was the first red flag in how things were going to go.

I still cry viewing Man of Steel trailer #2. That trailer, for me, is one of the greatest of all time.

Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow set for July 2026. Things are shaping up. Looks like the Super family will indeed be getting the summer billing in the DCU. Refreshing.

I’m pretty sure I liked the BvS SDCC teaser well enough, but by the time the actual trailers came around, I was over it:

Didn't love it. Enjoyed the opening bit with Clark and Bruce, and I feel their scenes together will be great, but then Lex enters the scene and ruins it for me. I just hate what I'm seeing of this Lex so much. The action looks great, but the humor doesn't work for me, and I'm definitely not feeling Doomsday (neither his appearance nor his presence in the movie at all)...yet. If they can make it work in the film, I'm open to it. But as of right now, not so much.

I'll just say it - I don't like the visual aesthetic of this movie at all. The individual parts of that aesthetic work gloriously - the costumes, some of the shot compositions - but together? Not feeling it at all. I think I just don't like the Snyder/Fong duo, as I've felt this way about their past work together as well.

I think that trailer was the point I finally gave up hoping that Snyder’s take on DC was ever gonna work for me lol.

I remember all the hullabaloo over the first BvS trailer leaked ,because it came out not too long after one of the first look at Han Solo in a the Force Awakens trailer.

That Force Awakens trailer was met with near universal praise , while the BvS trailer was met with (the soon to be common for the DCEU ) , polarized fan reactions.

Ironically enough , the two franchises ended becoming part of some of the most polarized, and toxic , discourse in fandom , throughout the mid, to lat,e twenty teens. :whoa: .

That trailer on Kimmel was one of the beginning of the ends for BvS's reception. They showed the payoffs in one trailer because the studio was in mid-panic form. That first trailer for BvS was off the charts. That Kimmel trailer showing Gal and Zodsday was the first red flag in how things were going to go.

I still cry viewing Man of Steel trailer #2. That trailer, for me, is one of the greatest of all time.
I pray we will only get two trailers for Superman and they are just ok. I wouldn’t mind lots of Clark, Lois, and Jimmy. Just don’t show to much.

It’s funny how we got set pics of the actress playing the engineer a few months ago, like what, on the very first day of shooting? and ever since then, this has probably been the most impressive movie in terms of avoiding leaked set pics since

Kinda annoying, but also good in the sense of wanting to see this movie with fresh eyes

We'll agree to disagree. Givin all that has happened with the DC brand, mixed in with recent failures of the other brand IP's AND the MCU flopping in recent time, the genre has taken a bit of a step-back (arguably a large one). This reset can be used as an advantage, depending on the internal works of studio expectations. For me personally, I think Superman making between $550-600 mil will be considered a big hit in today's landscape.
MCU has released 5 films in the last 2 years. 3 were certified hits. 1 was mediocre. 1 flopped. Their brand isnt that bad off theatrically. Even DC only released 1 film that got good reviews and the rest flopped on both sides of the coin so it's more than just any type of fatigue. People are wanting quality.

People who insist that the MCU's brand is "damaged" think their Twitter echo chamber is the real world.

Deadpool 3 is pretty much a lock for 1b.

I’m pretty sure I liked the BvS SDCC teaser well enough, but by the time the actual trailers came around, I was over it:

I think that trailer was the point I finally gave up hoping that Snyder’s take on DC was ever gonna work for me lol.
Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow set for July 2026. Things are shaping up. Looks like the Super family will indeed be getting the summer billing in the DCU. Refreshing.
gif-30.gif

People who insist that the MCU's brand is "damaged" think their Twitter echo chamber is the real world.

I wouldn't say it's damaged but it's definitely not what it used to be. That being said I'm hopeful about DC's prospects; I think Gunn simply gets it. End of the day, what matters is audiences really connecting with this version of Clark - same way they connected with Captain America, Iron Man, etc. Can't build a movie franchise with characters nobody gives a **** about.

Billion dollars for a rated R movie is not a lock. There has only been 1 billion dollar rated R movie. Deadpool will start strong but it will have a hard time keeping up with August being a dead month for movies because it’s the end of the summer. I don’t think any movie is getting a billion this year.

So Feige is mistaken when he himself said that the MCU as an underdog? When that very same franchise he says is fine as an underdog was once on top of the world and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser no matter what movie or TV show?

Make no mistake. The MCU might still bring in dollars and moviegoers, but nowhere near what it used to when, at one point, any movie they put out was a surefire audience and box office winner. Your mileage may vary on what word you use, but there are definitely cracks in what used to be impenetrable, vibranium armor.

I remember saying to myself around 10 years ago that a little movie called ‘Batman vs Superman’ was too big too fail and was a lock for a billion

Oh to be young and naive again

People who insist it isn't atleast fractured hasn't been paying attention, really. It's no secret the CBM has dwindled in quality in recent years and ticket sales have struggled in comparison. It's just where we're at. Will you have anomalies? Sure. Will you have over achiever's? Sure. But nothing is a lock anymore in Hollywood, especially the CBM. Deadpool and Wolverine is a great candidate when throwing around the Big-B prediction. It's also one of the reasons why studios and fans alike have found themselves in hell or high water in the never-ending wars online by guaranteeing such things. You just never can know (unless we're going back to the Infinity Saga). Those were locks in time.

MCU has released 5 films in the last 2 years. 3 were certified hits. 1 was mediocre. 1 flopped. Their brand isnt that bad off theatrically. Even DC only released 1 film that got good reviews and the rest flopped on both sides of the coin so it's more than just any type of fatigue. People are wanting quality.
Quality is king. There's no fatigue per-say. You'll have hits on both sides of the equation with both studios. To the MCU standards, things aren't where they need to be. With DC, it couldn't get more inconsistent or downright bad. I don't feel fatigue will lead to any deaths of the genre. It's just subpar as a whole at the moment and it's a crap-shoot at the very best right now on which films are destined for breakout. Both studios were forced to look at things through a new lense, and that's okay.

I thought the Marvels would have been a lock for 1 billion and that crashed and burned.

Deadpool's previous outings never made a billion and if I'm not mistaken, none of the X-Men movies did either.

That said, Marvel needs to actually introduce the X-Men, that's where the bread and butter is. I'm just not sure going back to Jackman was the right move. We will see though.

The fact that it's them together, plus the nostalgia, comic accurate look, and mcu connection. It's a lock for 1B. And Shawn levy is kind of on a roll right now. This movie is too big to fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"