• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I’m pretty sure I liked the BvS SDCC teaser well enough, but by the time the actual trailers came around, I was over it:

I think that trailer was the point I finally gave up hoping that Snyder’s take on DC was ever gonna work for me lol.
You found posts from 8.5 years ago just like that? I need your filing/organisational skills. :D

I love one of the MoS trailers and re Snyder also loved Watchmen and 300 trailers. The whole concept of BvS (including the name itself) was a hard sell for me though and then tripled down on what I hate when hero vs hero is done wrong.

You found posts from 8.5 years ago just like that? I need your filing/organisational skills. :D
Took less than 3 minutes: Go to the Justice League board, do a search of thread "titles only" for the word "trailer," click the BvS trailer thread, search "this thread only" for posts by flickchick85.

be57277c116e5df55514018eff6d7f86.gif

I think even the studios are expecting a billion each from Deadpool & Wolverine and Joker 2.

I thought the Marvels would have been a lock for 1 billion and that crashed and burned.

Deadpool's previous outings never made a billion and if I'm not mistaken, none of the X-Men movies did either.

That said, Marvel needs to actually introduce the X-Men, that's where the bread and butter is. I'm just not sure going back to Jackman was the right move. We will see though.
Deadpool 2 came the closest, and it's to date the highest grossing X-Men film, but even that did not make a billion. I think Deadpool 3 will do well, as its success will have nothing to do with Marvel Studios since the first two were successful, but I wouldn't immediately say a billion is a lock for it. Do I think that the likes of Twisters or Maxxxine, depending on how well they do, could take from its audience? Maybe, maybe not, but nothing's certain. Even the mighty Guardians 3, Gunn's swan song, could and should have been a billion dollar lock, but not the case.

If anything makes a billion, unless it's name is Avatar 2, it will have to slowly but surely reach it because it's not a guarantee.

Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow set for July 2026. Things are shaping up. Looks like the Super family will indeed be getting the summer billing in the DCU. Refreshing.
It also appears the DCU is taking its time. I like that WB is not rushing 3 movies a year. Starting your universe with the last members of the House of El sounds interesting but is risky.

From my perspective, I simply just lost interest in the MCU and I think I would consider myself as part of the core audience that grew up with Marvel in the 90s. Also lived through the time where comic book movies were more often terrible than good. So if I'm having a difficult time being interested in the content it's an issue.

I'm interested in Superman and Batman, so from my end it's an annoyance when you include other characters that aren't part of the Superman universe such as metamorpho, green lantern, Hawkgirl and Mr. Terrific.

I will obviously still watch Superman but given the time constraints I have with other commitments (i.e. family, work), you have to pick and choose what content to consume.

Just my two cents on the matter.
Yeah, for my part, I also grew up in the 90s, mainly with Batman TAS and Spider-Man TAS. So I can understand that period when all these films were much rarer and generally not very good... Except I still find them "generally not very good" today...:whoops:
Like you I don't have much interest in seeing all these characters mixed together in an ensemble film, especially the way it's usually envisioned. I've never 100% been on board with the tone of the MCU (there are now more than half of their films I've skipped...) and the DCEU, well.... Well.

Ironically, and nostalgy aside, the older CBM like Burton's, Raimi's, etc., were more interesting and fresher to me than anything that's been made in the last decade. I honestly wouldn't mind going back to those days where there was less of these films, but with directors a little more "free" (Iknow they weren't totally) to do what they wanted. There would still be duds, but I like to think that passionate duds are always better than cookie-cutter duds. :funny:

Agreed though I don't even think that for the majority of audiences that there's any nostalgia of Superman-anything left. Superman IS iconic...but he's more iconic in an Americana recognizability way than anything relevant or that people care about, sadly. Like everyone knows him. But it's whether they care about him is another thing.

He's not been a part of pop culture in any serious way in a long time, sadly. Batman started overshadowing him since '89 and it's been that way ever since, sadly.

Superman does deserve better.

Christopher Reeves' Superman was two to three generations ago - and for Millennials he was the only game in town in our childhood but now we've got Gen Z and Alpha that just doesn't know or connect with his version. They didn't even connect with the recent two.

And the Boomers are a shrinking audience as far as theater-going. Every boomer I knew was interested in the latest Indiana Jones film and Top Gun, but they caught both at home.

I don't think there's any nostalgia for Superman Returns and Cavill was loved as Superman despite his films.

This film's marketing will have to pull off a miracle, IMO. And I am so ready to see it happen - but I'm watching peeking through my fingers, though. :/

It's probably an controversial opinion in place like here, but I totally subscribe to it.
Superman is certainly the most recognized hero, because the logo is iconic and part of his lore has become part of popular culture worldwide... But if we define "popular" in the sense of something that attracts and focuses attention... Then no, I don't think Superman is all that popular anymore either. I honestly don't think he has been since the 90s...

I remember back in the days of MOS, I already thought that film's mission was to repopularize the character, and if today Cavill enjoys a certain amount of fame, I don't think the character has come out of it much stronger...

I find it funny that the 3rd trailer for Man of Steel gave so much Hype while the BvS one killed it... Because Zodsday.

Yeah, as much as I was blown away by the first BvS trailer and the Comic Con one (really felt like we were getting something special there...heh), that trailer was a letdown and a real red flag...
The very generic, almost parodical, "action trailer" music made it all a bit "derpy" to me.

Took less than 3 minutes: Go to the Justice League board, do a search of thread "titles only" for the word "trailer," click the BvS trailer thread, search "this thread only" for posts by flickchick85.

be57277c116e5df55514018eff6d7f86.gif

This reminds me how every damn Criminal Minds episode always ends.

I think Deadpool could make more than expected if they deliver above expectations on what they’ve showed to date. Getting near a billion now is a lot harder though than it was just before the pandemic. I think Joker 2 has less chance of exploding even if it’s popular with a lot of fans, can’t see it landing with the same impact with the GA as the first film.

I think Deadpool could make more than expected if they deliver above expectations on what they’ve showed to date. Getting near a billion now is a lot harder though than it was just before the pandemic. I think Joker 2 has less chance of exploding even if it’s popular with a lot of fans, can’t see it landing with the same impact with the GA as the first film.
Joker Folie à deux will be massive in Europe and other countries.

I think Deadpool is going to be the be the next Spider-Man - Everyone is invited.

People are going to be crazy for the nostalgia and the X-Men coming in (and going out) and whatever other surprises are in store.

Wolverine with Deadpool alone should do them good and considering this film is going to have a whole lot more I expect big numbers.

Do I expect it to be good well who knows but I know I'm keen for the nostalgia and I'm not even a marvel fan dog

I’m pretty sure I liked the BvS SDCC teaser well enough, but by the time the actual trailers came around, I was over it:

I think that trailer was the point I finally gave up hoping that Snyder’s take on DC was ever gonna work for me lol.
I still think the best trailer was the first mos tease. Young Clark, the butterfly on the swing set, him wearing the homemade cape and doing the superman pose.
Simple but brilliant.

I remember saying to myself around 10 years ago that a little movie called ‘Batman vs Superman’ was too big too fail and was a lock for a billion

Oh to be young and naive again
You were not the only one. It's like burning water, you really have to screw up to fail at that.

The fact that it's them together, plus the nostalgia, comic accurate look, and mcu connection. It's a lock for 1B. And Shawn levy is kind of on a roll right now. This movie is too big to fail.
No one is saying it will fail, but I don't think a billion is close to a lock. Deadpool 2 didn't even approach a billion ($785 million) in a better situation after the original made $782 million. And remember they made a PG-13 cut to boost the number which was actually lower. My guess is it hits right around there maybe breaking $800. It will be like GOTG in that regard. (though GOTG 2 did increase more than Deadpool 2 did)

I mean I get people online are talking about it...but honestly there is surprisingly little chatter all things considered. I legit only know it is releasing in July cause I just read it looking up the numbers. Even my Deadpool friends havent mentioned the film or the trailer.

Well, Superman got a mention at the Warner Bros. upfronts, looks like.

"If you look closely, you'll see that Superman takes care to slowly put on his boots, one foot at a time, buckle my shoe."

It's probably an controversial opinion in place like here, but I totally subscribe to it.
Superman is certainly the most recognized hero, because the logo is iconic and part of his lore has become part of popular culture worldwide... But if we define "popular" in the sense of something that attracts and focuses attention... Then no, I don't think Superman is all that popular anymore either. I honestly don't think he has been since the 90s...

I remember back in the days of MOS, I already thought that film's mission was to repopularize the character, and if today Cavill enjoys a certain amount of fame, I don't think the character has come out of it much stronger...
Yeah, agreed. There's a difference between recognizability and popularity. The Blue Man Group is recognizable but they're not going to fill an arena or a stadium. Ronald McDonald is instantly recognizable but McDonald's dropped him as a mascot due to lack of popularity.

To anyone worried that I'm equating Superman as the same level - I'm 100% not. He's obviously way more important, known and loved. But I do feel that even though he's iconic - there's a difference between people knowing who he is and being motivated to put their butt in a seat. I'm just not sure how this film is going to go in terms of energizing the audience.

And blundering the first photo reveal isn't a good start to an already uphill battle for Gunn, sadly.

The thing about Cavill is that he enjoyed a good amount of love and fame but it seems like a good chunk of that was for 'making a boring character good'. Maybe I'm wrong - but that was how a lot of people seemed to act, to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"