The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I’m still coming to grips with the whole idea of DC “building toward something.” I am so over and done with the concept of shared universes at this point. I find them to be a convoluted and tired concept. I just want good movies, and not gimmicks.

But I’m probably in the minority on that and I’m sure others are glad to get a DCU that’s interconnected.
Honestly, I think these will be less interconnected than people are currently expecting, tbh. Gunn has emphasized that he wants each of these properties to stand on their own, and given how he vocally pushed back against the "interconnectedness" of the MCU in his Guardians films (he was ready to straight-up refuse to include Thor in Vol. 3 if it came to that), I really think he means it. Of course, with corporate studio culture being what it is, they pretty much have to say they're in the same universe, and I'm sure there will be supporting characters that crossover and whatnot. But as far as serving one big narrative, I don't think that's being quite as prioritized here as it was in the MCU, despite that whole "Chapter One" title. They announced 10 projects (not counting the Elseworlds releases, which will further space these out), and not one of those was anything coming close to a "Justice League" project. I genuinely believe it will be a very slow crawl to get to that point, because Gunn is more interested in establishing each of these characters in their own little corners of the universe in their own stories for now. And for a while at least - certainly longer than the 4 years of build-up the MCU gave us - I expect the "interconnected" nature to be little more than the occasional easter eggs and supporting characters who show up in other things.

Like, for example, I expect Swamp Thing to be totally its own thing, outside of the odd mention of Metropolis or something, and completely different in tone/style to Superman. I do expect the other heroes in Superman to show up in their own projects, of course (which we know at least of couple of them already are), but beyond that? Eh, I'm not expecting constant "Infinity Stone teases" anytime soon, nor am I expecting all these movies to have the same vibe. Making Swamp Thing and The Authority two of your first-announced projects alongside Superman and an especially heavy Supergirl story is basically another way of announcing "we don't want these all to feel the same" imo.

I mean, the obvious route for an interconnected universe would be to start with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman reboots, and work outward from there. And they are very pointedly NOT doing that. I'd even say they're deliberately avoiding it. Whatever this is, whether it works or not, is certainly a more interesting approach to me.

Honestly, I think these will be less interconnected than people are currently expecting, tbh. Gunn has emphasized that he wants each of these properties to stand on their own, and given how he vocally pushed back against the "interconnectedness" of the MCU in his Guardians films (he was ready to straight-up refuse to include Thor in Vol. 3 if it came to that), I really think he means it. Of course, with corporate studio culture being what it is, they pretty much have to say they're in the same universe, and I'm sure there will be supporting characters that crossover and whatnot. But as far as serving one big narrative, I don't think that's being quite as prioritized here as it was in the MCU, despite that whole "Chaptr One" title. They announced 10 projects (not counting the Elseworlds releases, which will further space these out), and not one of those was anything coming close to a "Justice League" project. I genuinely believe it will be a very slow crawl to get to that point, because Gunn is more interested in establishing each of these characters in their own little corners of the universe in their own stories for now. And for a while at least - certainly longer than the 4 years of build-up the MCU gave us - I expect the "interconnected" nature to be little more than the occasional easter eggs and supporting characters who show up in other things.

Like, for example, I expect Swamp Thing to be totally its own thing, outside of the odd mention of Metropolis or something, and completely different in tone/style to Superman. I do expect the other heroes in Superman to show up in their own projects, of course (which we know at least of couple of them already are), but beyond that? Eh, I'm not expecting constant "Infinity Stone teases" anytime soon, nor am I expecting all these movies to have the same vibe. Making Swamp Thing and The Authority two of your first-announced projects alongside Superman and an especially heavy Supergirl story is basically another way of announcing "we don't want these all to feel the same" imo.

I mean, the obvious route for an interconnected universe would be to start with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman reboots, and work outward from there. And they are very pointedly NOT doing that. I'd even say they're deliberately avoiding it. Whatever this is, whether it works or not, is certainly a more interesting approach to me.
Lanterns is entirely about a mystery that sets up something for the wider story in the DCU, so I don't think he's putting that aside that much.

It is a gamble because...every DC Movie that has had a post credits scene has ended up failing
First of all that is not a legitimate statement...the films didn't fail because of the post credit scene. If my car doesn't start on a couple of random Tuesdays Tuesdays aren't why my car didn't stop.

Second it's not true anyways. Shazam had one, Aquaman did, Suicide Squad did (if Venom was successful so was Suicide Squad) so yeah...

The problem with the end credit scenes lately is that the MCU and DCEU would do end credit scenes for movies that were not green lit yet. The Harry Styles one in the Eternals, Charlize Theron in Doctor Strange 2, and Blue Beetle’s Cord reveal. An end credit scene with Milly Alcock in Superman would actually help the hype for Woman of tomorrow because the movie will probably be finished filming by then. Obviously Superman needs to be a good movie though.

Didn't the first Suicide Squad (big hit) have a post credit scene between Bruce and Waller or am I just imagining things?
Yeah, Waller giving Bruce the files on Barry and Arthur. Though chances are, based on BvS and Bruce's metahuman files, Bruce probably already had info on metahumans. Though it did feel that it was setting up JL.

I think its safe to say that Macon will be a stand in for Smallville. Its very beautiful.

View attachment 90810
I'm actually not so sure about that. All the extras casting calls for Macon were asking for south asians, which makes me think it's gonna be a stand in for one of the countries involved in the geopolitical conflict Superman's gonna be involved in.

Macon you say?

everett-lee.gif

I remember when Gunn said Superman was going to be filmed all over the world. I wonder if afterwards he got told absolutely not lol please use sets + the volume + local cities

First of all that is not a legitimate statement...the films didn't fail because of the post credit scene. If my car doesn't start on a couple of random Tuesdays Tuesdays aren't why my car didn't stop.

Second it's not true anyways. Shazam had one, Aquaman did, Suicide Squad did (if Venom was successful so was Suicide Squad) so yeah...
Duh, of course they didn't fail because of a post credita scene. I'm saying they're cursed.

Shazam barely made a profit w/$300mill.

2 films that were actually big successes vs 6+ that had them....its a big difference

Right but your implication was that none of the films were successful and had post credits scenes.

And Shazam did well with critics and made enough money to get a sequel. It was a successful.

I was just thinking about the whole mid/post credits scene thing yesterday.

With Supergirl getting an official release and her possible appearance in "Superman", what if instead of a post credits scene, the final moments of THAT film is our introduction to Kara, leading us right into Supergirl?

I was just thinking about the whole mid/post credits scene thing yesterday.

With Supergirl getting an official release and her possible appearance in "Superman", what if instead of a post credits scene, the final moments of THAT film is our introduction to Kara, leading us right into Supergirl?
What if Kara is already on the farm with the Kents because Superman found her before the movie. You can go a million ways with Kara. From Gunn’s comments Superman might have already interacted with Supergirl before the movie starts. I would think Kara is in the movie because they casted her before Superman began filming.

I'm actually not so sure about that. All the extras casting calls for Macon were asking for south asians, which makes me think it's gonna be a stand in for one of the countries involved in the geopolitical conflict Superman's gonna be involved in.
Possibly.

The fan poster under gunns post is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"