The Dark Knight Rises vs Avengers: Age of Ultron

This How It Should Have Ended video for AoU is absolutely hilarious :funny:

[YT]YnZ_-5I72ec[/YT]

Seriously though, the video actually raises a damn good point that I was kinda disappointed with in AoU. The Ultron in this video was actually way, way more effective and dangerous than the one in the real movie, especially through his control of the internet.

In an age where we are all so incredibly dependent on the internet and technology, Ultron could have been an absolutely terrifying villain. Huge, huge missed opportunity in my eyes. Whedon barely tapped into his capabilities as a malicious, sentient program. Would have made for a far more compelling villain than the usual Whedon villain we got. I didn't hate the Ultron we got, but he really could have been so much more.

Good points all around but you gotta release that Ultron wasn't about causing chaos. The first thing he did was try to access nuclear codes and launch them. His one goal was to end all human life. But I wish we saw him hack the quinjet, Starks armour etc. In EMH, when he attacked Avengers mansion, he took control of all its defense systems, the quinjets, Iron Man armoura etc. He should have done that when he crushed the party.

Good points all around but you gotta release that Ultron wasn't about causing chaos. The first thing he did was try to access nuclear codes and launch them. His one goal was to end all human life. But I wish we saw him hack the quinjet, Starks armour etc. In EMH, when he attacked Avengers mansion, he took control of all its defense systems, the quinjets, Iron Man armoura etc. He should have done that when he crushed the party.

I agree. Would have been cool to see Tony's armors go on a rampage.

I'm going to say that I prefer AoU to TDKR, simply because I enjoyed the characters more in AoU.

Both are good though, but neither of them rank among my favorite comic book films.

Yeah, but I still think it was a great opportunity to have a villain that exploits technology and shows us how laughably dependent we are on the internet. Very ripe topic to explore, and something that would have hit close to home for everyone. Would have made Fury's "All we have is our wit and our will to save the world" line that much more effective. Great line, not so great context. Not that it wasn't there, but Ultron forcing the Avengers out of their comfort zone was more of an afterthought.

AoU was really full of brilliant ideas, but Whedon never managed to weave it all together into a cohesive, compelling story.

They were both a bit of a letdown compared to their predecessors. AoU was still more entertaining (i.e. fun) overall than TDKR though.

The "all we have is our wit" line was truly awful dialogue. It is not something anybody would say. Wit is not going to defeat Ultron. It is Whedon reminding the audience in a heavy handed manner that he makes good zingers.

Worst line in either movie.

Batman's "witty" retort has to be the worst line in either.

"So, you've come to die with your city?

No. I've come to stop you"

ugh

It's very hard for me to watch TDKR given who it's made by and given it involves my favourite character. If it was to come down to which film I enjoyed more I would have to give it to Ultron because I don't have the attachment to Marvel like I do with Batman and thus the flaws were easier to overlook.

That said putting on my film nerd hat and comparing them from a film making perspective they do suffer from similar problems in having lots of ideas that are never fully explored. Most of that is a time constraint issue, both could easily have used an extra 30 mins (maybe 45 in Rises case) to really tell their story properly. This biggest disadvantage Ultron has is that it really lacks a driving narrative force in the film. Rises is about Bruce Wayne, Ultron isn't really about anybody and thus it really deals with far broader strokes than Rises.

There are also villain issues for both, Bane is a great character who is let down by poor creative choices, Ultron is never really elevated to be anything more than a bad robot and is never as threatening as the trailers made him look, both never reach their full potential.

I will say this with regards to both films, had anyone other than Whedon or Nolan made those movies then I'm convinced they would have been a disasters, in lesser hands those films would be terrible. It's a testament to both that under all that weight they managed to put together something watchable, because at worst both films are watchable, they're just not that good.

although TDKR has its fair share of flaws and was not as good as Batman Begins or TDK, it was still a much more solid film than AOU

TDKR sucked donkey
I'm goin AoU, even with all its flaws, it wasn't as unintentionally laughable as rises

There's a huge difference between Bane and Ultron, in that Bane was every bit as threatening as the trailers made him out to be. You got the sense that his own men both feared and revered him, they're willing to die for him (him, not Talia). He was cold and exacting in his methods and he inflicts real damage to Bruce and Gotham. Best of all there's an actual humanity beneath the monstrosity, it's just been severely twisted and warped. Some just can't seem to get over the character's last 5 minutes in the movie, but that's a whole 'nother discussion, because he wasn't just a lapdog. I could go on but that's beside the point. AoU didn't even come close to scratching the surface of how menacing and dangerous Ultron could've been. He was entertaining, but not really that memorable. Bane, love or hate the voice, was very memorable...dare I say iconic, in his own offbeat way. This is just another example of DC simply outclassing Marvel when it comes to crafting great villains.

I really still feel that from a filmmaking and writing perspective Rises is actually pretty strong and severely underrated. The themes are woven in with a degree of sophistication across the various character arcs in the film, it feels like a natural culmination of the series, it has a sense of both timelessness and urgency in the social issues it touches on (doesn't get much older than the poor vs the rich) while never gets bogged down in making it a political movie ABOUT the 99% vs 1%, but most importantly there's a strong emotional throughline that carries through the whole movie. I think it's actually kind of amazing that while Rises may be the most 'clunky' of the trilogy in terms of having to cut some corners through its epic plot to get it into an under-3 hour film, it somehow manages to be the most emotionally resonant in spite of that. That's because the heart of the film is the Bruce Wayne arc and that is handled absolutely perfectly IMO.

With Ultron, I don't even know what the heart of the movie is. Hawkeye I guess? Or maybe Black Widow/Hulk's love story? Who learns what in the movie? Where are the character arcs? It's a very entertaining ride, but it just feels like nothing too important happened the more I reflect on it. Like a filler episode of a TV show. I'm not trying to take a dump on the movie, I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, but if you want to talk putting on your film nerd hat...for me TDKR is definitely more than a cut above it in that context. Avengers definitely feels like Joss Whedon struggling to make a movie amidst working in the Marvel machine and studio interference. TDKR feels like the Nolans and Goyer struggling a bit to live up to TDK, but ultimately still crafting a worthy conclusion that solidifies the trilogy as a single body of work. I would have to agree with jmc that it's a testament to the talents of both Whedon and Nolan that they were able to prevail to varying degrees (depending on your opinion of the movies) in spite of the mammoth tasks at hand.

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between Bane and Ultron, in that Bane was every bit as threatening as the trailers made him out to be. You got the sense that his own men both feared and revered him, they're willing to die for him (him, not Talia). He was cold and exacting in his methods and he inflicts real damage to Bruce and Gotham. Best of all there's an actual humanity beneath the monstrosity, it's just been severely twisted and warped. Some just can't seem to get over the character's last 5 minutes in the movie, but that's a whole 'nother discussion, because he wasn't just a lapdog. I could go on but that's beside the point. AoU didn't even come close to scratching the surface of how menacing and dangerous Ultron could've been. He was entertaining, but not really that memorable and dare I say iconic, in his own offbeat way. Bane, love or hate the voice, was very memorable. This is just another example of DC simply outclassing Marvel when it comes to crafting great villains.

I really still feel that from a filmmaking and writing perspective Rises is actually pretty strong and severely underrated. The themes are woven in with a degree of sophistication across the various character arcs in the film, it feels like a natural culmination of the series, it has a sense of both timelessness and urgency in the social issues it touches on (doesn't get much older than the poor vs the rich) while never gets bogged down in making it a political movie ABOUT the 99% vs 1%, but most importantly there's a strong emotional throughline that carries through the whole movie. I think it's actually kind of amazing that while Rises may be the most 'clunky' of the trilogy in terms of having to cut some corners through its epic plot to get it into an under-3 hour film, it somehow manages to be the most emotionally resonant in spite of that. That's because the heart of the film is the Bruce Wayne arc and that is handled absolutely perfectly IMO.

With Ultron, I don't even know what the heart of the movie is. Hawkeye I guess? Or maybe Black Widow/Hulk's love story? Who learns what in the movie? Where are the character arcs? It's a very entertaining ride, but it just feels like nothing too important happened the more I reflect on it. Like a filler episode of a TV show. I'm not trying to take a dump on the movie, I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, but if you want to talk putting on your film nerd hat...for me TDKR is definitely more than a cut above it in that context. Avengers definitely feels like Joss Whedon struggling to make a movie amidst working in the Marvel machine and studio interference. TDKR feels like the Nolans and Goyer struggling a bit to live up to TDK, but ultimately still crafting a worthy conclusion that solidifies the trilogy as a single body of work. I would have to agree with jmc that it's a testament to the talents of both Whedon and Nolan that they were able to prevail to varying degrees (depending on your opinion of the movies) in spite of the mammoth tasks at hand.

Couldn't agree with this more, on both movies. I do think if he had more freedom Joss would have given us a better, and longer movie.

Ultron was pathetic the entire movie, but in the last scene with Vision i actually did feel sorry for him.

Bane was a badass the whole movie, until he is *****fied by the Talia reveal.

The Nolan Final Entry was just boring. It was way too long and not near as good as TDK. Atleast Age Of Ultron is somewhere close to being good as the other Marvel entries. While i still prefer Avengers 1 Age Of Ultron is still 4th best Marvel UN film. Order being Avengers 1, Gaurdians Of The Galaxy, Cap Winter Soldier and lastly Age Of Ultron.

The "all we have is our wit" line was truly awful dialogue. It is not something anybody would say. Wit is not going to defeat Ultron. It is Whedon reminding the audience in a heavy handed manner that he makes good zingers.

No, it refers to them usually using their wit to defeat their villains.

No, it refers to them usually using their wit to defeat their villains.

You'll have to refresh my memory. I can only recall Starlord doing this, and that was in GoTG which the heroes don't know about.

Fury played a big part in TA and in TWS, where intelligent humour did not play a role in defeating the villain.

I like TDKR more than most, my biggest problem with it is the pacing. It has plot-holes but TDK had even more plot-holes and nobody complains about those, which is unfair.

That been said I slightly prefer AoU due to the great character work, the superior action scenes and the better movie experience.

The Nolan Final Entry was just boring. It was way too long and not near as good as TDK. Atleast Age Of Ultron is somewhere close to being good as the other Marvel entries. While i still prefer Avengers 1 Age Of Ultron is still 4th best Marvel UN film. Order being Avengers 1, Gaurdians Of The Galaxy, Cap Winter Soldier and lastly Age Of Ultron.

I would put IM and Thor 1 over AOU as well myself, probably TFA as well.

I think the definition of "wit" Whedon meant was "mental sharpness or inventiveness; keen intelligence" as opposed to the "humor with words" definition.

Ultron was pathetic the entire movie, but in the last scene with Vision i actually did feel sorry for him.

Yep Ultron could have been the most badass MCU villain yet and he wasn't even close. Big waste.

Very insightful.

Lol I'll admit, I think its fair that when you say you don't like something, you kinda have to back it up. Say this is why I think it sucks. I'll never criticize a movie without backing it up with my points and breakdown of things I didn't like if that makes sense.

To me Rises felt like proper filmmaking. AOU felt like a videogame with some weak story development here and there.

Knocking TDKR for having similarities with BB is like knocking the Bourne series for repeating stuff. They're trilogies meant to tell a particular story. Whether the stuff is executed well is another issue altogether and I think there are plenty of valid criticisms for TDKR in that department. Then again, I also think it catches way too much crap for plotholes while TDK gets a giant pass.

Knocking TDKR for having similarities with BB is like knocking the Bourne series for repeating stuff. They're trilogies meant to tell a particular story. Whether the stuff is executed well is another issue altogether and I think there are plenty of valid criticisms for TDKR in that department. Then again, I also think it catches way too much crap for plotholes while TDK gets a giant pass.

Every movie outside TDKR gets a giant pass.

Nolan even addressed this:

"My films are always held to a weirdly high standard for those issues that isn’t applied to everybody else’s films"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"