The Dark Knight Rises vs Avengers: Age of Ultron

Every movie outside TDKR gets a giant pass.

Nolan even addressed this:

"My films are always held to a weirdly high standard for those issues that isn’t applied to everybody else’s films"

That's a pretty silly comment that really makes him seem like he feels so sorry for himself. Like redfirebird said, TDK got a complete pass on it's plot holes so it's certainly not the case that only Nolan gets held to a certain standard. It's generally just about having your highs be good enough so people forgive the lows.

I don't have similarities with Begins as part of my criticism towards TDKR, but if people do it's hardly the first time I hear criticism for repetition in a series of movies. AoU has gotten some of that as well, just to keep it within the movies in the topic.

"My films are always held to a weirdly high standard for those issues that isn’t applied to everybody else’s films"

Backlash to the fact his movies are overrated big time on websites like IMDB. But overrated does not mean worst movie ever as you will read on numerous websites like this one. The hyperbole in both directions is over the top.

Mjölnir;31814535 said:
That's a pretty silly comment that really makes him seem like he feels so sorry for himself. Like redfirebird said, TDK got a complete pass on it's plot holes so it's certainly not the case that only Nolan gets held to a certain standard. It's generally just about having your highs be good enough so people forgive the lows.

I don't have similarities with Begins as part of my criticism towards TDKR, but if people do it's hardly the first time I hear criticism for repetition in a series of movies. AoU has gotten some of that as well, just to keep it within the movies in the topic.

No.

In many ways both TDKR and AoU faced a similar, unenviable challenge: they were sequels to two of the most well received and financially successful films of recent years. As a result, both of them were always going to struggle to live up to the hype. The films were also farewells to Nolan and Whedon respectively, two writer/directors who've given us two of the greatest CBMs of all time.

While neither are a patch on their predecessor(s) IMO they're still great films. That said, I think AoU edges TDKR out and is the better of the two IMO.

Don't know why AoU gets all the hate, its a fun movie, worthy sequel of the first with great fantastic new characters.

Don't know why AoU gets all the hate, its a fun movie, worthy sequel of the first with great fantastic new characters.

I don´t know why other people don´t like it. Haven´t paid enough attention it. I don´t like it because i thought the plot was weak and poorly developed, among other things that didn´t quite feel very well executed. It´s good if you wanna see good action, but if really want a compelling story...meh.

Or maybe people just have different tastes and opinions?

*GASP*

Did he really say this? Ugh I like him even less now.

Did he really say this? Ugh I like him even less now.

He said that and i don´t see any problem with it. Somebody asked him about the whole plot hole thing and he said he doesn´t quite understand why his films are held to such high unsual standard, but he also said he is fine with it.

Last edited:
I think that Nolan quote refers to Interstellar and not to Dark Knight Rises.

It's AOU by default. Just because TDKR is not a Batman film. I don't know about anybody else but the Batman I am familiar with would never retire with the girl to some place in France or whatever. Plus what is up with Robin. Is that supposed to be Robin or what. I don't even know. Batman Fakes his death. Horrible. Just horrible.

Last edited:
It's AOU by default. Just because TDKR is not a Batman film. I don't know about anybody else but the Batman I am familiar with would never retire with the girl to some place in France or whatever. Plus what is up with Robin. Is that supposed to be Robin or what. I don't even know. Batman Fakes his death. Horrible. Just horrible.

I advise you to read more comics in order to become familiar with all the facets of Batman. But don´t expect to read many stories where he retires. Retiring Bruce Wayne in comics is not good business.

His name is supposed to be Robin, nothing more. You can view that as a blink from Nolan to the audience. Don´t put too much weight on that.

Batman HAS retired in the comics. Of course they had to bring him back eventually because you know Bruce Wayne is Batman and readers will accept nothing less. This is the movies. It's a finite universe where they're not going on forever. That's why it's ok to kill off long term villains after one movie, when they have lasted decades in the comics. But it's a falsity to say he wouldn't retire or leave the mantle in someone else's hands.

Last edited:
That happens in The Dark Knight Returns.

The Dark Knight Rises for me. I know its a polarizing film and its not perfect but that movie just hit those sweet spots for me personally. For once, it was really nice seeing a conclusive end to a superhero trilogy and seeing the hero get a happy ending (Unlike Spiderman 3, X-men 3, Blade 3 etc.). You could watch BB, TDK and TDKR and you feel like your getting a complete story told.

Batman HAS retired in the comics. Of course they had to bring him back eventually because you know Bruce Wayne is Batman and readers will accept nothing less. This is the movies. It's a finite universe where they're not going on forever. That's why it's ok to kill off long term villains after one movie, when they have lasted decades in the comics. But it's a falsity to say he wouldn't retire or leave the mantle in someone else's hands.

:up:

Dark Knight Rises all the way, at least Bane acted like a villain.

I don't have fond memories or nice things to say about Ultron.

You mean like in the most revered Batman comic book ever, Dark Knight Returns?

Everybody seems to be missing the point of what I meant. My bad for not being more clear. Of course Batman has to retire at some point. It's called getting old. In the great DKR he has retired because he is old and tired. He comes out of retirement when he is needed and then fakes his death so he can continue the fight in a different capacity.

Please don't compare that great book to the 3rd movie. Nolan's Batman retires when he gets the girl and they go sip Mai tais somewhere. Not the same thing. Sad that I have to spell it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"