The Defenders The Defenders Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

Safe strategy :up:

He should be blamed for everything. If somehow, Avengers Infinity War isn't well received, Scott Buck is the man to blame.

I think Buck's influence can be seen in the Defenders. The seeds of his incompetence are there. They were already probably Scott Bucking the Defenders somewhat. If Iron Fist had been successful, then probably all future Marvel shows would've used Buck's handiwork as a template. They already let him loose on the Inhumans before people actually saw how Iron Fist would perform.

He should be blamed for everything. If somehow, Avengers Infinity War isn't well received, Scott Buck is the man to blame.

I think Buck's influence can be seen in the Defenders. The seeds of his incompetence are there. They were already probably Scott Bucking the Defenders somewhat. If Iron Fist had been successful, then probably all future Marvel shows would've used Buck's handiwork as a template. They already let him loose on the Inhumans before people actually saw how Iron Fist would perform.

Buck is a 1 man walking catastrophe!

If anyone was wondering what "the wall" at the bottom of the hole said, this came across my tumblr dashboard today:

tumblr_ox9fw6qp5j1uc91dzo1_540.jpg

Original Twitter Source: https://twitter.com/lweeksdesign/status/915218757685055488

Jessica Jones finished filming last month and should be out Feb/March. Supposedly Luke Cage season 2 finishes fishing in March. Not sure why since it started in June and usually they film for 6 months. But it'll be the second to be released. So it could be released in August or maybe September.

Jessica Jones finished filming last month and should be out Feb/March. Supposedly Luke Cage season 2 finishes fishing in March. Not sure why since it started in June and usually they film for 6 months. But it'll be the second to be released. So it could be released in August or maybe September.

Wouldn't have taken so long if they concentrated on filming instead of fishing. :oldrazz::cwink:

I would blame Scott Buck for the majority of Iron Fist's problems, since he's a showrunner whose main trait is "bringing shows in on-time and under-budget". And by the way, Jeph Loeb did announce at SDCC the hiring of a new showrunner, Raven Metzner, to be in charge of Iron Fist for season 2 onwards.

This is good news. EDIT: I mean good news that there has been a change. I didn't know anything about the new person in charge so can't say whether that is good news too. :p

Did they say anything about also sorting out Danny's erratic temper? He was much more likeable in The Defenders than he was in his own show but there were still a few times where he got lost his cool for no reason.

Also, I just finished The Defenders. I loved it. Sigourny Weaver's villain getting rubbed out so ungraciously in the middle of the season was very unexpected and fun.

How is Bakuto bullet proof? He didn't seem to be wearing armour and hadn't shown any telekinetic abilities prior to this episode that I recall. What did I miss?

I didn't find the character or the performance interesting in this or in Iron Fist. I would have preferred to see more of Sowande and for Bakuto to have died early in his place. I cannot for the life me figure out how he was placed as a member of the main cast while Yutaka Takeuchi and especially Wai Ching Ho where classed as supporting characters. They gave very enjoyable and fun performances.

If Matt can survive the building collapsing I hope Gao and Murakami have too.

Last edited:
Wouldn't have taken so long if they concentrated on filming instead of fishing. :oldrazz::cwink:

There are some big fishing set pieces planned for season 2.

I really liked this show for the first four episodes and the finale with some scenes in between.

But guys, these shows need to step it up. While Flash isn't my thing I can respect it for pushing itself within it's limitations and isn't afraid to be comic book-y.

With the exception of Jessica Jones, Let's have them wear more costumes. Let's do more outlandish things. They can still be rooted in that world, but I thought S2 of Daredevil was a step in the right direction. Most of this show is people sitting in rooms talking to each other and trying to convince and understand the other. Stop calling him The Iron Fist and just call him Iron Fist. Stop calling him The Devil of Hell's kitchen. It's like they're avoiding these are based on comics at times and are stuck in that 90's mindset. Im starting to get bored. The tone works for Daredevil and Jessica, but they don't work for Luke Cage and Iron Fist which they need to be more unique.

I really liked this show for the first four episodes and the finale with some scenes in between.

But guys, these shows need to step it up. While Flash isn't my thing I can respect it for pushing itself within it's limitations and isn't afraid to be comic book-y.

With the exception of Jessica Jones, Let's have them wear more costumes. Let's do more outlandish things. They can still be rooted in that world, but I thought S2 of Daredevil was a step in the right direction. Most of this show is people sitting in rooms talking to each other and trying to convince and understand the other. Stop calling him The Iron Fist and just call him Iron Fist. Stop calling him The Devil of Hell's kitchen. It's like they're avoiding these are based on comics at times and are stuck in that 90's mindset. Im starting to get bored. The tone works for Daredevil and Jessica, but they don't work for Luke Cage and Iron Fist which they need to be more unique.

Why put Luke Cage in a costume but not Jessica Jones? Cage thinks the same think of costumes that Jones does.

The direction they decided on with these shows is the heroes who aren't in the limelight like the Avengers. They aren't going to be in "outlandish" stories about aliens and gods. They are crime fighters looking out for the little guy while Stark and friends save the planet.

Murdoch is the devil of hell's kitchen because that is what people call him. He isn't Daredevil because he isn't going around leaving signed messages. Luke and Jessica having costumes would be pointless because the point of a costume is to hide your identity - they are already known. Danny seems to have put together some kind of outfit.

They are not avoiding being comic-booky - they are just for a different angle.

The Flash is my kind of thing, but the TV show is not pushing itself at all. It is just filling up the screen with story arcs that don't have the steam for a full season and stuffing in as people into Team Flash as it can instead of using villains for the Flash to face. It makes no sense for Caitlin to turn from just using her powers, it makes no sense to have Wally in the show (and he is completely unlikeable, just whiny and selfish), there is no chemistry between Iris (who contributes nothing to the show) and Barry, and most of Barry's actions are the result of him being selfish. Doesn't make sense that Iris was raised by a decent man like Joe.

I tried to think of a fish pun filled response but I know nothing about fishing :huh::oldrazz:

As long as JJ knows her plaice in S2, thrives as a sole hero again following Defenders, realises there's plenty of fish in the sea after Luke and they don't scale back on the ambition, then things should go swimmingly. ;)

Why put Luke Cage in a costume but not Jessica Jones? Cage thinks the same think of costumes that Jones does.

The direction they decided on with these shows is the heroes who aren't in the limelight like the Avengers. They aren't going to be in "outlandish" stories about aliens and gods. They are crime fighters looking out for the little guy while Stark and friends save the planet.

Murdoch is the devil of hell's kitchen because that is what people call him. He isn't Daredevil because he isn't going around leaving signed messages. Luke and Jessica having costumes would be pointless because the point of a costume is to hide your identity - they are already known. Danny seems to have put together some kind of outfit.

They are not avoiding being comic-booky - they are just for a different angle.

Wow, how exciting!

That different angle comes off as them avoiding being comic book-y. By comic book-y I'm not saying I need aliens to show up, but for God's sake it's not too much to ask for Iron Fist to wear his classic costume and be more humorous. Everything just feels same-ish and that's just dour all around. Daredevil and Jones? Yeah it fits with them and where they went was right. Just because this is more street level and not as bright doesn't mean you altogether avoid elements that really make them unique in the source material and make them pop. And you can still do these things without betraying the darker tone. I think these things can allow these shows to grow, but it doesn't feel like they're growing. Defenders should have switched the status quo on all of of this. The Marvel films, despite their lighter tone, are very mindful of status quo changing. I appreciate them doing their own thing from the movies, but you can still do that and add in more fun stuff. Otherwise I'm afraid more shows in, it's still all gonna feel the same.

There's a reason Defenders was the lowest watched show and why Iron Fist and Luke Cage didn't take off. People are starting to feel the fatigue from doing the same things and these lower quality shows where a dour tone doesn't necessarily need to be there in the first place doesn't help.

Last edited:
As long as JJ knows her plaice in S2, thrives as a sole hero again following Defenders, realises there's plenty of fish in the sea after Luke and they don't scale back on the ambition, then things should go swimmingly. ;)

:oldrazz:

Wow, how exciting!

That different angle comes off as them avoiding being comic book-y. By comic book-y I'm not saying I need aliens to show up, but for God's sake it's not too much to ask for Iron Fist to wear his classic costume and be more humorous. Everything just feels same-ish and that's just dour all around. Daredevil and Jones? Yeah it fits with them and where they went was right. Just because this is more street level and not as bright doesn't mean you altogether avoid elements that really make them unique in the source material and make them pop. And you can still do these things without betraying the darker tone. I think these things can allow these shows to grow, but it doesn't feel like they're growing. Defenders should have switched the status quo on all of of this. The Marvel films, despite their lighter tone, are very mindful of status quo changing. I appreciate them doing their own thing from the movies, but you can still do that and add in more fun stuff. Otherwise I'm afraid more shows in, it's still all gonna feel the same.

There's a reason Defenders was the lowest watched show and why Iron Fist and Luke Cage didn't take off. People are starting to feel the fatigue from doing the same things and these lower quality shows where a dour tone doesn't necessarily need to be there in the first place doesn't help.

It was made clear from the early stages that these shows would not be the bright and shiny side of the Marvel Universe. They are far from dour.

Yes, you are asking too much to put Danny Rand in the classic Iron Fist costume, because this isn't the 1970's. And even then that costume was ridiculous.

In what way are Luke Cage and Iron Fist "same-ish"? Same as what?

What about Luke Cage is betraying what made the character unique?

Where are you getting the data concerning Netflix viewership?

Who did Iron Fist and Luke Cage "not take of with"? I don't read reviews but I do recall headlines praising the show and Coulter.

Who are these people who are frequently being held up as example of this superhero "fatigue"?

Even though overall I enjoyed Defenders, I am still completely bewildered as to how they did not put Danny in his costume in the last episode. I'm almost wondering at this point if they are deliberately dangling the carrot in front of us fans just to **** with us at this point. You mean to tell me when they filmed that last shot of Danny watching over Hell's Kitchen no one in the writer's room thought it would've been the perfect opportunity to suit Danny up and bring his arc full circle?! Plus that would've built so much hype for the second season of his show.

Ughhh that infuriates me.

The more I think about The Defenders, the weaker the show feels. I actually regret watching it.

It was nowhere near as bad as Iron Fist, but not great either. I feel like all the potential the Defenders had, was squashed once Scott Buck was put in charge of Iron Fist, completely ruined the Hand, and made the worst actor of the 4 shows, such an important focus in the fight against the Hand.

It was nowhere near as bad as Iron Fist, but not great either. I feel like all the potential the Defenders had, was squashed once Scott Buck was put in charge of Iron Fist, completely ruined the Hand, and made the worst actor of the 4 shows, such an important focus in the fight against the Hand.

Buck was a major risk to the whole Marvel Netflix product!

I haven't see Iron Fist, and I won't be seeing it either. Scott Buck was already destroying tv shows when he took over Dexter. That show also dropped significantly in quality in the last few seasons.

The more I think about The Defenders, the weaker the show feels. I actually regret watching it.

For me I gave it a B plus after I finished it. I'd give it a B-minus now or even C+. I think it was all the potential I had for it. An almost hunger to see it and it let me down.

The depressing thing is it kind of numbed my buzz for the Netflix shows going forward. DD season 3 I'm still highly anticipating because his first two seasons were fantastic and Charlie Cox is magnetizing to watch onscreen, but I feel like I could care less about Danny and Luke's team up in LC season 2. I should be excited AF to see the two team up but because I just do not buy Finn as Iron Fist and his whole schizophrenic schtick I really dont wanna watch it.

I have to say, after finishing Stranger Things 2... (Spoilers ahead)
I feel like the second last/final episode of The Defenders should have had that big moment at the end. The gate that Iron Fist opened was a portal to something... Anything. A giant beast, energy something. Elektra could have seen this and realized her faults and does her best to close that back up with some modified Black Sky powers.

the annoying thing is Stranger Things cost 6 million an episode in season 1 and around 8 million for season two.

I doubt The Defenders cost more than 4 million an episode (and even then it still felt kinda cheap) despite Marvel having tons of $$$ and a huge fanbase. You'd think they and Netflix might break the bank making the show into an extravaganza.

did they ever release the budget for this series? I'm curious how it compared to DD or LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"