The Punisher The Punisher: FULL SEASON TWO Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

After finally finishing the season last night, I have to say I'm alittle mixed. It feels like the show took one step forward,two steps back. One of my main gripes of S1 was the lack of skull and Punisher moments. S2 has those but it has a very unfocused storyline with no real depth to any of it. Characters like Jigsaw, Madani and Pilgrim were wasted. I don't know why the psychologist needed to be in this either. The angle they were going for was interesting at first, but it got real boring real fast. This iteration of Jigsaw was HORRIBLE. He barely did anything menacing besides robberies and then dies on the floor? What!?

Another problem I have is.. how many times does Frank Castle have to start at 0 before he finally takes up The Punisher identity? It happened in Daredevil. Then in Punisher S1, he's back to just being Frank working as a laborer until he again puts on the Punisher gear by the end. This season did the same thing. Why didn't we start in New York with him going after some slave traders or something?

Jon Bernthal, Curtis and Amy (who I thought I was going to hate) were the best thing about the season. I also loved the action but everything in between was pretty disappointing.

I'm finding this season to be a chore to get through. It's very boring, and too much time is wasted on characters I do not care about, like the psychiatrist. I'm at episode 6 now, but my mind keeps wandering off. Shame, they have a great actor to play Frank, but the writing and supporting cast leaves much to be desired. I definitely think this could be a much better show in more capable hands.

I only made it to middle of the 7th episode I couldn't do it
first the lack of Micro really bothered me so a google search from the girl is more effective than a guy who can hack military databases GTFO

and the therapist just basically letting Bill Rape her was my last straw couldn't take the show serious and Frank not killing the pedophile was all types of WTF

and the real world politics was just OMG really so the Russians are trying to get leverage on America ????? plz man

Wait, Jigsaw raped the therapist? What did I miss??! It could most definitely be argued the other way.

Real world politics? What?

If Amy, or anyone, can google important info pertinent to the task at hand, why would you need a hacker? I love Micro, but he was unnecessary, and would be wasted in this story. Also, I'm actually glad that this season stepped away from the other characters. Talk about a chore....the only reason DD Season 2 was any good was episodes 1-4. And DD Season 2 is now my 2nd favorite Netflix/Marvel story.

Governments blow people up by remote control. Innocent civilians die, and it's called collateral damage.

Frank is just a more extreme version of other costumed superheroes and vigilantes.

He's no more of a psycho with a sob story than Batman or Spider-Man.
No Frank admittedly LOVES to kill. That's waaaaaaay different from Spider-Man and Batman. Unless we're talking DCEU's bitter and broken Batman.

After really loving the first season, this season felt like a major step down. The whole subplot with Jigsaw and the psychiatrist was a colossal waste of time. The Pilgrim felt like an afterthought in most scenes, I have no idea why Madani is still here, and the teenager plot was boring and derivative of better stuff done before. And again with the 13 episodes? That's pushing it when the season is GOOD. Here it becomes a struggle to finish even half way through. I can't believe this is the same showrunner as the first season. Very disappointed.

I thought the season was decent overall, well acted, but dumb writing. I can just roll my eyes at the mention of alt right or hurr hurr Russia/Trump nonsense since the laughable attempts to be hip were pretty fleeting, but the stupid decisions they took with characters time and again just made me scratch my head.

The part of Mahoney was acted well, but he was written like a chump. Time and again I was left wondering why wasn't Medani locked up and her career in tatters, but there was always some stupid handwavy excuse, even after she shot him, why he would just give her yet another chance. Just takes you out of the moment when you repeatedly see writing that dumb.

There was a lot of things that started off well, but just didn't pay off and got sloppy by the end.

This season definitely had some problems, but for me its still far superior the second seasons of all the other Marvel Netflix shows with the exception of DDS2.

My New Rankings:

1. DDS3
2. DDS1
3. DDS2
4. PunisherS1
5. JJS1
6. LCS1
7. PunisherS2
8. DefendersS1
9. IFS2
10. LCS2
11. JJS2
12. IFS1

No Frank admittedly LOVES to kill. That's waaaaaaay different from Spider-Man and Batman. Unless we're talking DCEU's bitter and broken Batman.
They address that's he insane but Madani doesnt seem to mind since "he has a code". But yea anytime you hear Punisher grunting he was slowly losing control. Hes defiently insane and people called him out on the fact he enjoys killing people hes jsut not doing it simply to help people. Helping people is his excuse to justify it to himself. Untill the end where he passes on legitimacy to embrace being the Punisher

My rankings:

1. DD S3
2. JJ S1
3. DD S2
4. DD S1
5. Punisher S1
6. Defenders
7. JJ S2
8. Punisher S2
9. LC S2
10. LC S1
11. IF S2
12. IF S1

Damn, I can't believe we've had 12 seasons of this stuff, lol.

I liked this season more than the last. My only exposure to Jigsaw was the War Zone film and that is one of the worst films for me, period. He might not have been scarred up well enough, but I like this version more. That was the only thing I thought about going into the season outside of the other characters being more or less the same as last season.

I do wish we got more of Frank as The Punisher. All the times he fully embraces that name and symbol, it’s an off screen thing with a little tease on screen. Would’ve been nice to see him like that with Micro.

I’m sure in the coming weeks, we’ll learn of the shows cancellation.

I would rank my Netflix seasons as:

DD S3
DD S1
JJ S1
Punisher S1
DD S2
JJ S2
Punisher S2
LC S2
Defenders
IF S2
IF S1
LC S1

After initial excitement on Punisher season 2 wore off, I still like the season very much, but on the whole I do think S1 was more even and had better villains. So I would rate S1 higher, but I still liked this season a lot.

Wait, Jigsaw raped the therapist? What did I miss??! It could most definitely be argued the other way.

Real world politics? What?

If Amy, or anyone, can google important info pertinent to the task at hand, why would you need a hacker? I love Micro, but he was unnecessary, and would be wasted in this story. Also, I'm actually glad that this season stepped away from the other characters. Talk about a chore....the only reason DD Season 2 was any good was episodes 1-4. And DD Season 2 is now my 2nd favorite Netflix/Marvel story.

?? really the therapist was his hostage and he forced himself on her that is by all metrics a Rape

my rankings go

1. DD1
2. DD3
3. JJ1
4. DD2
5.Punisher 1
6. Defenders
7. LC1
8. JJ2
9. IF

Haven't seen the second seasons of IF and LC

I'm gonna rank too. 12 seasons is kind of mad looking back, and with Jones round the corner, it's going to end on an appropriate number ha.

1.) Daredevil S3
2.) Daredevil S1
3.) Jessica Jones S1
4.) Daredevil S2
5.) Luke Cage S2
6.) Luke Cage S1
7.) Punisher S1
8.) Defenders
9.) Punisher S2
10.) Iron Fist S2
11.) Jessica Jones S2
12.) Iron Fist S1

Daredevil is the jewel of the whole endeavor. Jessica had the best first season and worst second. Luke Cage season 1 is still the most shockingly uneven. Punisher was still best on Daredevil. I don't care how much course-correction they tried with Iron Fist, that was broken from the jump.

If I've learned anything from this universe, it's that you badly need a character who suits punching faceless goons in dark alleys and warehouses. That is literally all they could afford, which really only worked perfectly for Murdock. I truly hope these characters live on after the dust settles on these deals. It's not just the fantastic core cast like Charlie Cox and Jon Bernthal, it's the rich cast of supporting characters too: the detectives, lawyers, reporters. I'm gonna miss Turk.

LCS2 is just over y'all heads lol

It's not without its problems but Luke Cage Season 2 is comfortably better than this.

DD season 1
DD season 3
DD season 2
JJ season 1
TP season 2
TP season 1
LC season 2

The rest of it kinda sucks

Like clockwork, Netflix takes 12 & 3/4 episodes to get to what you want to see.

Also, my favorite Punisher season is still Daredevil Season 2..... It's unbelievable that after two full seasons of his own show (most likely the entire series) the character is essentially in the same place as he was at the end of Daredevil Season 2.

Enjoyed it, thought it was great. Then watched the trailer for john wick parabelum and thought could have been better.

We'll see what marvel does with it in future.

For me, this season had too many flaws. Pilgrim and Billy for example. And the damn therapist was a major WTF.

JJS1
DDS1
LCS1
DDS2
The Defenders
TPS1
LCS2
DDS3
IFS2
JJS2
TPS2
IFS1

Ranking all the seasons:

Daredevil Season 3
Luke Cage Season 2
Punisher Season 2
Punisher Season 1
Daredevil Season 1
Jessica Jones Season 1
Luke Cage Season 1
Iron Fist Season 2
Daredevil Season 2
Defenders
Jessica Jones Season 2
Iron Fist Season 1

My ranking

DDs2- I think the second half is heavily underrated imo.
DDs3
LCs2- another underrated season that had excellent character/cultural nuances that's probably over people heads. Absolutely LOVED Shades, Bushmaster, Ms Stokes lol
DDs1
JJs1
IFs2
JJs2
LCs1
The Defenders
TPs2
TPs1
IFs1

The season was a bit of a mixed bag. Bernthal brings another powerhouse performance and is so engaging that elevates the material which was MUCH weaker this time around. While the first season had an in-depth conspiracy (though predictable, it was still really engaging) and subplots that fed into the greater overall story really well, this one seemed to be chasing two plots, one that was kind of intriguing and one that was just silly. The plot with Amy and John Pilgrim was the more interesting of the two, although it took way too long to get to the nitty gritty of what was going on there. And the stuff with Billy and the therapist just went on forever and felt ultimately pointless. Maybe it could have worked if Floriana Lima was a better actress, I don't know. But it just didn't work as well as they thought it would. And Billy never fully regaining his memory was just annoying after a while. Like another poster said, he didn't seem like a real threat. And this guy is supposed to be Frank's arch enemy.

Anyway, it's a shame that this will likely be Frank's last outing. I loved what Bernthal did with the character but sadly, he deserved a better swan song. The first season was SO good, and this one was... okay.

6.5/10

Let's be honest. The therapist was just as much of a sociopath as Billy Russo.

My ranking

DDs2- I think the second half is heavily underrated imo.
DDs3
LCs2- another underrated season that had excellent character/cultural nuances that's probably over people heads. Absolutely LOVED Shades, Bushmaster, Ms Stokes lol
DDs1
JJs1
IFs2
JJs2
LCs1
The Defenders
TPs2
TPs1
IFs1

This ranking is a headscratcher to say the least. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back