Iron Fist Iron Fist SEASON TWO Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

I'm disapointed a little bit. I really enjoyed season 2 and where it left off.

Was it what I imagined an Iron Fist show would look like? Not really. No. Especially not season 1.

I do hope Danny and Colleen show up on Luke Cage or maybe even Heroes For Hire

**** Scott Buck. Nobody watched the second season because of him. Season 2 was actually good. Last year, I wouldn't believe you if you told me that Iron Fist would become entertaining and Jessica Jones would turn into hot garbage. Shame...

They also quietly cancelled The Defenders last month by labeling it a limited series and rebranding the social media pages. IIRC, the Defenders viewership was the lowest of all the Marvel/Netflix shows. I'm not too broken up about that because it made me wait 2.5 years for more Daredevil. Hopefully the wait won't affect DD season 3's viewership...

This is what they get for refusing to give people what they signed up to watch from day one. From episode one, Danny should have been wearing that yellow rag around his head and kickin' ass and takin names on the streets of New York and usin' that glowing fist like its nobody's business. Instead they decided screw with the fans and go some other weird direction with the show instead of giving us the mystical kung fu action show we signed up for.

This, but lowkey I think we all knew it was a doomed effort from the start. Anyone on the Iron Fist boards during the build-up can remember threads about speculation about how they would pull off his costume, mythology, Kun-Lun and martial arts.

I really wish Iron Fist got a solo movie or a Power Man and Iron Fist buddy cop movie as part of the MCU. Anybody who's read classic PMIF comics know they fit the tone and nature of the movies far better than the ultra-dark and gritty tv world and that Fiege would've done both Luke and Danny justice in terms of comic accuracy (which is lacking heavily for both in particular, but also in general for everybody not named Daredevil).

I think Iron Fist simply didn't fit in with the direction Netflix and Marvel TV wanted to take this line of shows. And it suffered as a result.

**** Scott Buck. Nobody watched the second season because of him. Season 2 was actually good. Last year, I wouldn't believe you if you told me that Iron Fist would become entertaining and Jessica Jones would turn into hot garbage. Shame...

They also quietly cancelled The Defenders last month by labeling it a limited series and rebranding the social media pages. IIRC, the Defenders viewership was the lowest of all the Marvel/Netflix shows. I'm not too broken up about that because it made me wait 2.5 years for more Daredevil. Hopefully the wait won't affect DD season 3's viewership...
The touch of Buck is the touch of death for a show. Marvel rehiring him shows that there are some sick people on the TV side.

I think Iron Fist simply didn't fit in with the direction Netflix and Marvel TV wanted to take this line of shows. And it suffered as a result.

I think they probably picked Iron Fist because they were planning on doing a bunch of street-level shows and thought "hey, he and Cage have had street-level adventures in the past, let's use him" without really thinking about what that meant or how the character could've been pulled off properly, until it came time to actually create the show. People who know Luke and Danny's very early comics of their classic runs were set in a seedier New York.

Remember the stories of Marvel not even knowing what direction to take the show in? Having trouble with production and not understanding how to translate the character to screen?

Marvel Hasn’t Cracked The IRON FIST Series Yet

Add to the fact that Iron Fist was supposed to be the third series released (got switched with Cage) and then DD got a second season and Punisher got picked up for 1 and IF's production had to hit the timeline before Defenders, and Marvel terribly handling the "controversy" regarding Danny's race (both in and out of the show) from people who don't even care about the character and we got the terrible end result.

I think they probably picked Iron Fist because they were planning on doing a bunch of street-level shows and thought "hey, he and Cage have had street-level adventures in the past, let's use him" without really thinking about what that meant or how the character could've been pulled off properly, until it came time to actually create the show. People who know Luke and Danny's very early comics of their classic runs were set in a seedier New York.

Remember the stories of Marvel not even knowing what direction to take the show in? Having trouble with production and not understanding how to translate the character to screen?

Add to the fact that Iron Fist was supposed to be the third series released (got switched with Cage) and then DD got a second season and Punisher got picked up for 1 and IF's production had to hit the timeline before Defenders, and Marvel terribly handling the "controversy" regarding Danny's race (both in and out of the show) from people who don't even care about the character and we got the terrible end result.

Well Scott Buck certainly cracked it! He cracked it like an egg so that it was permanently broken!

The touch of Buck is the touch of death for a show. Marvel rehiring him shows that there are some sick people on the TV side.

He wanted to buck the trend that Marvel has had of successful adaptations. Well he certainly got his wish! :o

Well Scott Buck certainly cracked it! He cracked it like an egg so that it was permanently broken!
He cracked the egg of Shao Lao and now there can be no more Iron Fist (episodes).

Buck screwed up plain and simple. But even then, Loeb should have been able to reign him in and tell him what direction they wanted for the character from the start.

Iron Fist had the potential to be the most fun out of all the netflix shows. Daredevil was the dark, gritty vigilante show, Jessica Jones was noir detective show, Luke Cage was modern, blaxploitation street drama and Iron Fist was supposef to be the lighter, funner 70's throwback kung fu show. Danny should have been fun Defender, the funny one, the one acts as the levity amongst all of the angsty personalities of the other Defenders. He should've been the one while everyone else is brooding about the Hand, he's the one like "guys, this is awesome! We're fighting ninjas!" Or at least thats how I would've written him. Oh well.

Yeah casting an uncharismatic thin blonde white kid who acted doofy was definitely not the way to go.

So.....MCU?
By that, do you mean a movie? Because it's already in the MCU.

I do agree with others that the tone of the show never really fit with the overall tone that Netflix was going for. I had hoped that it would stand out because it was something different. The idea of exploring class issues did make sense when you're going for a Netflix show, but it ultimately fell very, very flat.

By that, do you mean a movie? Because it's already in the MCU.

I do agree with others that the tone of the show never really fit with the overall tone that Netflix was going for. I had hoped that it would stand out because it was something different. The idea of exploring class issues did make sense when you're going for a Netflix show, but it ultimately fell very, very flat.

I don't get what some people's deal is on this whole Marvel TV vs movies honestly. Yeah, they don't cross over. It's all MCU. Nobody who has these shows is getting a reboot into the movies, guys. So Iron Fist failed as a series, evident because it was cancelled after 2 seasons. Why would anyone think that he would work as a movie if they couldn't sell him as a show and he was met with backlash from day 1?

Not every characters is going to shake hands with Iron Man. But guys like the Netflix heroes don't have to. They deal with smaller scale threats. It works perfectly fine. Plus, some of the content the shows produce, like Daredevil and Jessica Jones (at least season 1...since season 2 is divisive) are better than a fair % of the movies!

I don't get what some people's deal is on this whole Marvel TV vs movies honestly. Yeah, they don't cross over. It's all MCU. Nobody who has these shows is getting a reboot into the movies, guys. So Iron Fist failed as a series, evident because it was cancelled after 2 seasons. Why would anyone think that he would work as a movie if they couldn't sell him as a show and he was met with backlash from day 1?

Not every characters is going to shake hands with Iron Man. But guys like the Netflix heroes don't have to. They deal with smaller scale threats. It works perfectly fine. Plus, some of the content the shows produce, like Daredevil and Jessica Jones (at least season 1...since season 2 is divisive) are better than a fair % of the movies!
I completely agree. None of these shows were designed, created or promoted that they would crossover with the movies, just that it would take place in the same fictional universe using character that weren't going to get movies. It's not like Marvel Studios was waiting for Iron Fist to become available, if they wanted to to make it a movie it would already have been a movie. If they wanted any of the Defenders in Infinity War, then they would have been there. Whether the Netflix series existed or not, whether they were better or not, or even had a different cast nothing wouldn't have changed that.

I completely agree. None of these shows were designed, created or promoted that they would crossover with the movies, just that it would take place in the same fictional universe using character that weren't going to get movies. It's not like Marvel Studios was waiting for Iron Fist to become available, if they wanted to to make it a movie it would already have been a movie. If they wanted any of the Defenders in Infinity War, then they would have been there. Whether the Netflix series existed or not, whether they were better or not, or even had a different cast nothing wouldn't have changed that.
Read from the other thread that's not the case. Marvel wants them separate.

Read from the other thread that's not the case. Marvel wants them separate.

Separate divisions, not separate universes. The "it's all connected promise" is what sells most of the MCU, whether it be show or movie. Marvel knows this. It's not the universes that are separate, it is the divisions making them. That is a major difference. These shows only happen when there is no intention for the movie to be made. If Feige planned a Daredevil movie at any point, the Netflix show would never have happened. Same applies for any Defenders character.

I remember those but that did come from Devin Faraci. Remember him? Also, Devin Faraci claimed before launch of Daredevil S1 that he was hearing "tons of bad buzz" for the show. He also constantly trashed the show ahead of its launch.

Separate divisions, not separate universes. The "it's all connected promise" is what sells most of the MCU, whether it be show or movie. Marvel knows this. It's not the universes that are separate, it is the divisions making them. That is a major difference. These shows only happen when there is no intention for the movie to be made. If Feige planned a Daredevil movie at any point, the Netflix show would never have happened. Same applies for any Defenders character.

I think we know at this point that the whole "it's all connected thing" is nothing but lip service at this point. Netflix is essentially treated as a separate universe at this point.

I think we know at this point that the whole "it's all connected thing" is nothing but lip service at this point. Netflix is essentially treated as a separate universe at this point.

Again, how so? How has the movie world conflicted with the Netflix world? Please give me specific examples.

Well for starters, no one seems to give a **** at all that their dead friend Coulson is still alive and appearing at public events.

uh...a main recurring character on Luke Cage is an entirely different character in Civil War played by the same actress

Well for starters, no one seems to give a **** at all that their dead friend Coulson is still alive and appearing at public events.

Wait, when did Coulson come to the Netflix world?

But on that point, AoS does make a point of trying to excuse Coulson as not being the face of anything for the very fact he is supposed to be dead and is hiding it. Does it stretch believability at times? Yes, but the show does continue to operate under that assumption.

uh...a main recurring character on Luke Cage is an entirely different character in Civil War played by the same actress

It's a minor role in the movie. She's in literally 1 scene. It's not like she played another prominent character.

It's a minor role in the movie. She's in literally 1 scene. It's not like she played another prominent character.
I guess...there's certainly story potential there for LC if anyone realized it

Are the netflix shows still bound by 2012 timeframe? Was brought up on the Lounge - why is the "snap" no big deal? Accords is w/e for me, since there's only one costumed dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"