Inhumans "THE FIRST CHAPTER" - Inhumans' IMAX film aka the 1st 2 episodes (Use Spoiler tags)

Inhumans doesn't feel ambitious. In fact, it goes out of it's way to remove all of the more ambitious stuff that's present in the source material.

Frankly The Gifted actually feels more ambitious. It has actual you know themes and ideas and actually seems to use it's resources WELL!! Plus the cast is given better material to work with.

If the premiere episodes had attempted to present the full gamut of the many ideas present in the source material, fans and critics alike would have complained about being overwhelmed with minutiae. The approach chosen was to slowly edge the audience into the complexities of Inhumans life by focusing on your basic "palace rebellion" story. But that opening allows for a lot of expansion-- though my theory of the potential is irrelevant, since it's already gone down the tubes. People w/o Netflix will be lucky if they broadcast all the episodes.

THE GIFTED's capacity for expansion would seem to be-- lots more adolescent angst, more cookie-cutter cute teens, and-- what, in the way of great FX? More tedious explosions and lightshows? Sorry, I respect your right to like the show, but I don't see any real potential. I predict that the only "Sentinels" we'll see on this cheapjack show are those dang little drones.

I found myself much more disappointed in THE GIFTED than THE INHUMANS. In my mind it's like, 'INHUMANS tried to pull off high drama and failed on some counts. GIFTED tried to do nothing more than a standard chase-scenario, and lots of anti-mutant hysteria, and people gave it rave reviews."

Doesn't ambition count for anything? (he asked rhetorically)

There's nothing new about the Gifted. It's like mutants on the run again but most of the characters aren't from.the comics and the Sentinels are much smaller. Yawn!

I'm not liking this "humans are useless" narrative there creating.

I'm guessing there's an arc that pay's it off. I'm assuming the Royal family will learn to respect and humans after there time on Earth.

There constant "your just human" BS felt forced and unnecessary. If they wanted to explore racism, they could have done that with the Alpha primitives.

I'm not liking this "humans are useless" narrative there creating.

I'm guessing there's an arc that pay's it off. I'm assuming the Royal family will learn to respect and humans after there time on Earth.

There constant "your just human" BS felt forced and unnecessary. If they wanted to explore racism, they could have done that with the Alpha primitives.

Actually the racism can set up a nice counter point to the Watchdogs (that's who I thought those mercenaries were). It can also be a way to open BB's eyes -- "wow I'm just as bad as these sacks of crap! I really need to rethink my policies!"

Finally got a chance to watch the premiere.... it's not as bad as I was fearing. I mean, it for sure has it's problems (I think that mainly stem from editing choices and some of the aesthetics)... but I was entertained by what there was. I think most of the cast is fine (it's just that the material they have to work with could be better). I do think Bolt's actor could maybe have a sit down with Sebastian Stan on conveying thoughts/emotions with just a glance/not saying a word. Regarding special effects, for basic network tv, could be better, but they most certainly could be worse too. I love Lockjaw (though I went into it assuming that I would love him, so....)

I'm willing to ride the show out. I'm not expecting it to go beyond 1 season... though it *might* be interesting to see what they could do (if given a chance) on a subsequent season with better leadership/writing behind the scenes.

Inhumans doesn't feel ambitious. In fact, it goes out of it's way to remove all of the more ambitious stuff that's present in the source material.

Frankly The Gifted actually feels more ambitious. It has actual you know themes and ideas and actually seems to use it's resources WELL!! Plus the cast is given better material to work with.

I don't agree with the Gifted being more ambitious at all. I think it deliberately told a very grounded story on very well-trod ground. I just think it told that story much better. But let's not confuse good execution with risk-taking.

The Gifted is just average.

Anyway I watched the first episode again and I thought it was odd that Black Bolt can make out with Medusa, isn't that dangerous for Medusa to do that. 1 little sound and her face would be gone.

They do it in the comics. They've even had sex in the comics. It just requires intense discipline.

It was also odd because their first scene is a kissing scene in bed, I am not sure why we needed to see that. Crystal arriving late to the Terrigenesis session was another random thing.

It was also odd because their first scene is a kissing scene in bed, I am not sure why we needed to see that. Crystal arriving late to the Terrigenesis session was another random thing.

Just a guess, but I thought her lateness was a cue to an impulsive and somewhat disorganized character. We get a little of that when she refuses to obey Karnak's order and tells Lockjaw to spirit Karnak away. Possibly the remaining episodes will support this interpretation, but we'll never know where the writers would've gone in the long run.

After watching the second episode I have to say that Anson Mount needs to work on his facial expressions. He really does look like this site's "huh" emoticon. And why doesn't Black Bolt write his thoughts rather than sign and grimace all the time?

Isabelle Cornish is a truly terrible actress.

I laughed at Gorgon running into the water to save Triton. Um, how about getting a boat first?

Whatever emotional arc the writers are planning for the royal family needs to play out soon because I'm wondering why I'm supposed to sympathize with a bunch of twits sitting atop a caste system. Yeah Maximus will be worse than them but I'd like a more compelling reason to root for the heroes.

This wasn't as bad as reviews made it out to be. There are issues, but I think expectations made them out to be worse than they really are. This 8 episode run is a smart move. If it had been a full season, I wouldn't have bothered. As it is, I will be catching the rest of the eps if only to see how this family redeem themselves. That and to see more Lockjaw.

Last edited:
The Good:

The Actors playing Maximus and Black Bolt.

Maximus actually comes off seemingly insane, rather than willfully ignorant (as most other actors tend to approach that type of role). One gets the impression that Maximus actually believes what’s coming out of his mouth.

As for Black Bolt, if the silent film era has taught us anything, it’s that a good performance can be given with just looks alone. Though Black Bolt doesn’t have much of anything to do, he does it well. It’s a good thing that a picture is worth a thousand words, because that’s all that the actor has to work with. :cwink:

The Plot.

Pretty standard fare. Revolution, sibling rivalry, ‘fish out of water’, it’s serviceable enough.

Lockjaw.

His inclusion is nice (in that he’s probably the hardest bit to pull off, both from a technical perspective and a ‘believability’ perspective). However, would it not have been cheaper (and more effective) just to use a real dog and finesse the visuals to make him big, rather than go through the effort of making him CGI?

The Bad:

Production values.

I think I saw those moon colony backgrounds on an old Superman serial from the 40’s… :cwink: And those costumes… It’s not ‘mean mouthing’ anyone to say that I’ve seen better ones made for Comic-Con. And then there’s Medusa’s hair. Oh, the hair… :whatever:

The Ugly:

The acting.

With the exception of the two aforementioned performers, the rest of the cast was just bad. And it can’t be laid at the feet of the dialogue either. The performances were wooden to the extreme. One could almost hear the actors and actresses thinking “I’m going to kill my agent for this”.

Overall, it was a lackluster first impression, and one can see why the idea got demoted from Marvel’s ‘next big thing’ in the feature film line. If it has one thing going for it, it would be that the bar has been set mighty low, and as such, means there can be almost nowhere to go but up.

Maybe it's just me, but early on this really felt like the intro to a Japanese RPG video game. If I didn't know better, I could have sworn that Crystal and Lockjaw were about to go off on an epic quest with a ragtag group of adventurers.

Instead, Crystal and Lockjaw stayed in Attilan while everyone else went off on mini-adventures. So reverse JRPG.

The first episode was better than the second. Not good, but better. Going to Earth, and especially splitting everyone up, only hurt the show. It really feels like the show only has one real plot and no reason to do multiple running plotlines, but they couldn't handle the budget of having everyone actively involved in the conflict on a regular basis, and they also couldn't introduce a bunch of non-Maximus-related plotlines on Earth because it would take more than eight episodes and would really stretch the Inhumans concept. So they have to keep giving characters busy work so they're not fighting and using their powers. Gorgon hangs out on a beach, Karnak hits his head, Black Bolt acts oblivious and gets arrested. It's been said that Inhumans deserves a TV show because of the political intrigue, but there's only so much intrigue here sharing time with a lot of nothing. This, at least, could have been a movie.

That said, I didn't hate it. Maximus actually works as a villain with some depth, and there's nothing wrong with the core idea of what he's trying to do. Crystal's hot, and hot will always triumph over evil. Whoever composed the score did a good job. I'd take these two episodes, collectively, over Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s pilot. It's not good, though, and it's possibly getting worse (like I said, Earth made things worse). Some of it's boring, and some of it's just dumb.

I can binge watch this series any day than to binge watch Aos. I really don't want to compare both shows but since Aos had inhumans, I feel like the characters here are more interesting and animated despite the lack of budget. While Aos might be better, the characters themselves aren't very interesting and the casting remains to be bland even with better material.

Some of them are good actors and were probably excited to be working on a Marvel project. Unfortunately they were simply saddled with one of the worst ones yet.

We've only got 2 episodes so far. This looks like something that really needed a higher budget. Anyway it's watchable so far so I'll wait for more episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"