The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

Yeah there is no way Gunn is going to make that list available for public consumption. That would be a **** show on social media. The official casting announcement alone will have enough scrutiny.

We now have a casting director, and an official list of actors from the writer/director, can we assume there will not be an open casting call? Or will they start with their list, and if no one clicks, move on to something like an open casting call?

I am not sure how that part of the process works, wonder if anyone has any experience or thoughts.

Also if no open casting call, then not a complete unknown then?
I think the way they'll do it is Gunn will have a list and then they'll do an open casting call to get more names to add to that list and then pick one out of those.

Wolfgang novograts all the way. I know his voice ain't deep but that can be worked on but his look just gives me that same vibe as a christopher reeve type. Not saying he looks like reeve but he just has that similar feel to how he looks. Also after watching some interviews with him he seems very wise and articulate and friendly. Just get a good feeling about him in regards to this. Plus he's 6'3 and has the hair down pat imo

images.jpeg.jpg upload_2023-4-5_23-25-23.png

He doesn't actually look like that tho.
I know what he actually looks like. I've seen him in things. Interviews, actual pictures etc. I think he has a great charming look. He's good looking but also has a kind of goofy Ernest thing going on that seeps through when he talks. Feels good for superman and clark. Did you honestly think I saw that manip and looked and watched nothing else? Lol

what about that, Drake Rodger, guy from that {Supernatural spinoff} The Winchesters, show?
upload_2023-4-5_10-52-24.png
...he kinda had that look about him

Still quietly on the John Paul Reynolds bandwagon but I really don't think I'd dislike any choice they go with on paper. At least not until we see the film.

How about Connor Swindells? He's on the Netflix show Sex Education. Couldn't tell you if he could do an American accent though.

Adam-Groff-Tv-Series-Sex-Education-Connor-Swindells-Brown-Leather-Jacket.jpg

61cd6a8c74c8a8fc73a47a97cd4f299435ae3ae4.gif

38e9f9312ed1eb70445fcab68cd3d6cc0b807742.gif

Still quietly on the John Paul Reynolds bandwagon but I really don't think I'd dislike any choice they go with on paper. At least not until we see the film.

I suggested this a while back. I feel he would be the closest to Brendan Fraser as Supes but not as hot as BF was in the 90s. But yeh I am down for this.

I mean, if we’re being really honest, it’s not like we’re slaying the game with any of the choices for Clark in this thread. It’s like 95% superficiality, 5% maybe there’s some acting ability there.

That one’s best left to the professionals IMO.

Most of the choices listed here are unknowns.

A star is not likely to be cast in this role, because... they would look like "insert mega star here" wearing a Superman cosplay. You wouldn't believe them as the character. There are a lot of great actors who would not make a good Superman because they just don't have the look. But there are also plenty of guys who have "the look" who can't act worth a damn.

This is going to be extremely difficult to cast. Superman has always been difficult to cast.

And its likely going to be an unknown. Its not likely going to be a Robert Pattinson "good looking guy who did indies for a decade after doing Twilight" type.

Last edited:
I mean, if we’re being really honest, it’s not like we’re slaying the game with any of the choices for Clark in this thread. It’s like 95% superficiality, 5% maybe there’s some acting ability there.

I mean... yeah, but the only thing that Novogratz has going for him is that he looks somewhat like Christopher Reeve. That's really about it. Aside from that his look is extremely boring for the part and looking at his credits you might as well fancast a TikTok star at that point.
Corenswet at least has a career that's on the rise, has a cool voice and is Juilliard trained. And at least other picks like Spencer House have an interesting look that makes them stand out from other choices.
I will admit it's kinda frustrating to fancast Superman tho because Corenswet really is the only guy that one can make an argument for looks-wise and acting-wise. Paul Mescal too, but the commitment makes it kinda doubtful. Any more outside of that and it really is more reinvention territory or you're talking about dudes purely going based on looks that for all we know might be horrible actors.

Last edited:
Whichever way you slice it, I’m sticking to the supporting cast for the time being.

Speaking of, Jonathan and Martha…

9d063d7fd22823732490e309fe8f0935167b509d.jpg

Whichever way you slice it, I’m sticking to the supporting cast for the time being.

Speaking of, Jonathan and Martha…

9d063d7fd22823732490e309fe8f0935167b509d.jpg

I have had these two lovely folk as my Ma and Pa pick for a while now.

Pretty much. There's a name that I kinda love but have no expectations of it actually happening (Paul Mescal) and then another that I think could be great, but I increasingly feel as though he's the wrong type of Superman actor for what Gunn is implying he's looking for (David Corenswet).

I dont really mind the appearance aspect tbh. To a certain extent anyways. Like id prefer just getting a good actor for sure. I dunno if fans would vibe with it but id like to see Paul Mescal for instance.

Connor swindells though...could see that actually. Getting a few roles and casting people seem to love Sex education(except for the main guy himself but im sure he will get some good roles too :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"