The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

Chris McQuarrie would hang a man from cables outside an airplane for the flying scenes and we'd thank him for it. :oldrazz:
This is it tho, Tom Cruise has done some crazy stunts and we can all appreciate it's not CGI and it just goes a long way... to me, it just stands out too much. Honestly, I would rather it look hokey once or twice, than see a cartoon.

Imho yes. But thats not to say practical can't be well done.

I would hope that they co ordinate and plan set pieces and stunts etc in such a way that it works.. nothing too ambitious.. stopping a train, a bank heist, talking a teenager down from a ledge, in a burning building... these scenes need to feel as real as possible.

It's like this scene in Superman Returns... I mean, C'mon... why??Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 9.42.25 AM.png

I would hope that they co ordinate and plan set pieces and stunts etc in such a way that it works.. nothing too ambitious.. stopping a train, a bank heist, talking a teenager down from a ledge, in a burning building... these scenes need to feel as real as possible.

It's like this scene in Superman Returns... I mean, C'mon... why??View attachment 36532

Wait you mean thats a CGI Brandon Routh? I couldn’t tell!

Eh. I'd take CGI Brandon Routh over real Brandon Routh in that movie. CGI Brandon's acting was better.

This is it tho, Tom Cruise has done some crazy stunts and we can all appreciate it's not CGI and it just goes a long way... to me, it just stands out too much. Honestly, I would rather it look hokey once or twice, than see a cartoon.
Drones + GoPro (360) + Wingsuits

There's some ridiculously beautiful photography that's been available for years with wingsuit divers. Combined with the maneuverability skills of drone FPV drivers, flying on-screen would be revolutionized finally.

I'm tired of the green screen. It has its uses, but flying scenes in particular have become too commonplace and it's no longer special. They have to change how it's shot.

Drones + GoPro (360) + Wingsuits

There's some ridiculously beautiful photography that's been available for years with wingsuit divers. Combined with the maneuverability skills of drone FPV drivers, flying on-screen would be revolutionized finally.

I'm tired of the green screen. It has its uses, but flying scenes in particular have become too commonplace and it's no longer special. They have to change how it's shot.
Totally, the eye knows the truth and can't be deceived... it adds that subtle wow factor..

The effects they use for Mandalorian, those giant screens, set them up around a wind tunnel... have some fun, I guarantee it can look great... with natural light and reactions... imagine a failed parachute and up pops superman.... now of course I know some scenes will just be used with massive blowers, but come on, cgi can do one.
images.jpeg

Even though she's been rumored to be considered for She Hulk on Disney plus, I think Alison Brie would make a great Lois Lane.

She has the warmth,charm ,and humor along the lines of Teri Hatcher, yet I could also see her having that bit of snark to her along the lines of Erica Durance.

She actually reminds me alot of a younger Dana Delany.

ahhhh I see Lois has being harder than Alison Brie - that's why I am firmly in the Emmy Rossum camp... she is determined, can play the cheeky flirt to get what she wants... basically her character in shameless is not too far off... a slight dash of humour to the production and that's my Lois.

I kinda want an actor that gives off more of a strong man vibe. He has muscle mass, but isn't as defined or cut. The "farm ox" physique.

ahhhh I see Lois has being harder than Alison Brie - that's why I am firmly in the Emmy Rossum camp... she is determined, can play the cheeky flirt to get what she wants... basically her character in shameless is not too far off... a slight dash of humour to the production and that's my Lois.

I think it depends on what you mean by "harder". I prefer Lois to be a bit cynical as opposed to harder.

Hatcher, Durance, Kidder, all had that quality and Brie could certainly bring that quality. She's a good actress.

At the same time, I want an actress who can encompass all of the aspects of Lois, not just one aspect.

The best Lois Lane portrayals have done that.

Lois can be charming, funny, cynical, vulnerable , tough, sexy, and mischievous. Brie can pull off all those qualities while at the same time giving her character a sense of reality as opposed to being a cartoon.

Not saying Rossum couldn't do all those things, but if I'm casting Lois Lane , that's what I'm looking for.

I kinda want an actor that gives off more of a strong man vibe. He has muscle mass, but isn't as defined or cut. The "farm ox" physique.
I have said for a while, 'gladiator' Russel Crowe would have been interesting... wasn't he once considered? look wise, prime Patrick Warburton...

the trouble with the strongman look, the suit has to be spot on to make it work and the director has to know all the angles to make it work...

Superman 3, Chris Reeve was the closest..
he had bulk

pic.jpg

Honestly, the main problem with Lois to me isn’t the actress. It’s the story. No one has really cracked a plot that utilizes the character in a modern way. Kidder and Reeves had great chemistry that covered over the story but Durance, Bosworth, and Adams each just became kind of superfluous to the story. Durance has good chemistry but the story of a pre-Superman involving Lois isn’t what the draw of the story was and never pivoted to a full Superman story.

Sadly the problem with those who have played Lois is the acting and writing. Kidder was good, but was some show let down by the writing, as was Hacther.. Durance was a piss poor actress attached to Welling who was an even more piss poor actor so bad he was laughable most of the time , she over acted, he without talent, underacted, it was a sad performance that should have been adapted to a comedy show. So you got Durance in a "I Love Lucy" over acting, looks at me idiocy, and Welling who could not act his way out of a paper bag, they set up a comic relief bit. They really did counteract each other, in a laughable way, and they were bland on screen.

Amy Adam is a Academy Award nominated actress, repeatedly, and sadly even she was a misrepresentation of a true Lois, and with immense talents, she could not overcome the writing.

It would be nice to see a great representation of Lois, some one with Amy Adam's talent, and with the writing to match.

Sadly the problem with those who have played Lois is the acting and writing. Kidder was good, but was some show let down by the writing, as was Hacther.. Durance was a piss poor actress attached to Welling who was an even more piss poor actor so bad he was laughable most of the time , she over acted, he without talent, underacted, it was a sad performance that should have been adapted to a comedy show. So you got Durance in a "I Love Lucy" over acting, looks at me idiocy, and Welling who could not act his way out of a paper bag, they set up a comic relief bit. They really did counteract each other, in a laughable way, and they were bland on screen.

Amy Adam is a Academy Award nominated actress, repeatedly, and sadly even she was a misrepresentation of a true Lois, and with immense talents, she could not overcome the writing.

It would be nice to see a great representation of Lois, some one with Amy Adam's talent, and with the writing to match.
I don't even really like clois in Smallville, or really care about them as a couple in general in things, but I disagree with a lot of the stuff about the Smallville take on those characters.

Honestly, the main problem with Lois to me isn’t the actress. It’s the story. No one has really cracked a plot that utilizes the character in a modern way. Kidder and Reeves had great chemistry that covered over the story but Durance, Bosworth, and Adams each just became kind of superfluous to the story. Durance has good chemistry but the story of a pre-Superman involving Lois isn’t what the draw of the story was and never pivoted to a full Superman story.
Great point - she doesn’t even meet superman - she meets kal el and joins him on his journey- you instantly lose that office romance and the secret identity and the fun with that... even if she meets Clark Kent - knows him for a month before she actually meets Superman - that’s a whole month of him being under the radar, then we see the look in her eye when she starts to notice something subconsciously, then back at the planet she is in a daze and Clark walks by unnoticed. Then they are in a meeting and she hears Clark speak and instantly recognizes a slight twang or pitch.. looks up and has like a light bulb moment... and Clark gets hot under the colour as he sees that look in her eye... then we have fun with lois as she works it out and how she adapts to it juxtaposed to Clark trying to down play it... then the confrontation... then what next? I mean that could happen over one afternoon and 15 mins on screen - but we deserve that as it’s such a huge aspect of the lore.

Then lois working with Clark to keep it a secret... then akward situations where Perry questions it.. jimmy etc. I mean I see it as jimmy knew all along and then Clark realises this... but never outright mention it - like an unspoken rule.. so he can have normality and jimmy can have a best friend - like we finally know they know when something on the news happens and jimmy looks at Clark and is like - “hey CK, can you help me down in the lobby move some stock?” Then an appreciative nod... moments like those give it so much warmth...

Sam Claflin as Superman. 100%.

What i'd like to see them do for the first couple of Superman reboot films is to get back to the Lois and Clark rivalry and their back an forth banter of several of the tv shows.

Don't rush or shoehorn the romance into the first film. Show how these two opposites start as rivals, then form an unlikely Friendship, then begin to develop feelings for each other as the films go on.

Let the relationship develop over a couple of films so that the audience can root for this version of Lois and Clark/Superman can be together as opposed to trying to rush the romance.

I further love to play the relationship / romance as a much more light hearted and wistful thing ala Moonlighting, Superman the movie, and Lois and Clark, as opposed to it being this heavy thing as it is in SR, MOS, and BvS.

I'd also like to return to Lois not knowing he's Superman at least in the first three films.

Three films is too many for her to not know, imo. To me it starts to make her character look bad if the secret's dragged out for too long. Besides, some of their best dynamics are when they're already a couple. I say let them establish their rivalry/banter in Film 1, let them start dating early on in Film 2 and let Lois figure out the truth by the end of that film, and then let them be a serious couple during Film 3.

Three films is too many for her to not know, imo. To me it starts to make her character look bad if the secret's dragged out for too long. Besides, some of their best dynamics are when they're already a couple. I say let them establish their rivalry/banter in Film 1, let them start dating early on in Film 2 and let Lois figure out the truth by the end of that film, and then let them be a serious couple during Film 3.

While I wouldn't have a problem with your lay out in terms of her finding out, I ultimately think they could go three films without her knowing.

It really depends on how much focus they give the romance in each film and what role the romance plays as the overall part of the narrative.

If the romance is as big a role in the films as Superman 1 and 2, BvS, MOS, or SR ,then , I would agree that revealing it only after 3 films would be too long.

But if the relationship, romance etc, is more of a smaller part of the overall story and the main focus is the threat, The overall plotline,other moving pieces , etc. I think they could put off Lois and Clark getting together and having a serious relationship.

Given that the audience knows they're going to end up together, and given they've seen them as a couple several times over the past 80 odd years, I actually don't think the filmmakers need to rush her knowing, and them being in a serious relationship.

Instead , I think they could go for the slowburn, assuming they pull it off well. It depends on what approach they want to go for and it depends on what the focus of the story is they want to tell.

If I were doing a few of Superman films, I'd actually go with the slowburn approach to the development of the rivalry, friendship , romance, triangle of Superman, Clark , and Lois as a secondary storyline through the films as opposed to it being the main driving force of the story.

I actually don't think it would make her look bad if she didn't know for a few films.

Audiences have pretty much gone with the idea that Clark's main disguise is a par of glasses, and that it fools everyone including his boss and Jimmy who are in constant contact with Clark and know what Superman looks like, and his arch nemesis and arch enemy , a master super villain who's in constant contact with Kent ,yet does all the research he can to on Superman.

The idea that the woman who loves him doesn't know ,or can't figure it out is a part of the myth, that audiences are willing to suspend their disbelief with.

I actually think it becomes more of a problem when its a "will they, won't they" Smallville like execution of the relationship or an "MJ and Peter" Sam Raimi Spiderman thing, and the dynamics those writers brought to the constant back and forth .

I can see why you would think that it would make Lois dumb, so I'm not dismissing your concern, but I actually think it wouldn't be a problem.

Then again, I have a pretty specific vision for how I would do a series of Superman films and lay them out , so for purposes of my story, the main focus of the first films wouldn't be moving toward Lois Lane and Clark Kent becoming a couple. It's not the same way that Abrams or whoever may want to approach it.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on that one, I think. :up: I’m open to whatever the filmmakers want to do, but I definitely know what I personally think would work best (and have my own specific vision for how it would play out, as I think a lot of us do at this point, lol).

While I wouldn't have a problem with your lay out in terms of her finding out, I ultimately think they could go three films without her knowing.

It really depends on how much focus they give the romance in each film and what role the romance plays as the overall part of the narrative.

If the romance is as big a role in the films as Superman 1 and 2, BvS, MOS, or SR ,then , I would agree that revealing it only after 3 films would be too long.

But if the relationship, romance etc, is more of a smaller part of the overall story and the main focus is the threat, The overall plotline,other moving pieces , etc. I think they could put off Lois and Clark getting together and having a serious relationship.

Given that the audience knows they're going to end up together, and given they've seen them as a couple several times over the past 80 odd years, I actually don't think the filmmakers need to rush her knowing, and them being in a serious relationship.

Instead , I think they could go for the slowburn, assuming they pull it off well. It depends on what approach they want to go for and it depends on what the focus of the story is they want to tell.

If I were doing a few of Superman films, I'd actually go with the slowburn approach to the development of the rivalry, friendship , romance, triangle of Superman, Clark , and Lois as a secondary storyline through the films as opposed to it being the main driving force of the story.

I actually don't think it would make her look bad if she didn't know for a few films.

Audiences have pretty much gone with the idea that Clark's main disguise is a par of glasses, and that it fools everyone including his boss and Jimmy who are in constant contact with Clark and know what Superman looks like, and his arch nemesis and arch enemy , a master super villain who's in constant contact with Kent ,yet does all the research he can to on Superman.

The idea that the woman who loves him doesn't know ,or can't figure it out is a part of the myth, that audiences are willing to suspend their disbelief with.

I actually think it becomes more of a problem when its a "will they, won't they" Smallville like execution of the relationship or an "MJ and Peter" Sam Raimi Spiderman thing, and the dynamics those writers brought to the constant back and forth .

I can see why you would think that it would make Lois dumb, so I'm not dismissing your concern, but I actually think it wouldn't be a problem.

Then again, I have a pretty specific vision for how I would do a series of Superman films and lay them out , so for purposes of my story, the main focus of the first films wouldn't be moving toward Lois Lane and Clark Kent becoming a couple. It's not the same way that Abrams or whoever may want to approach it.
How about doing something new?

She suspects but doesn’t understand why if it is him. She lives in a world of shape shifting aliens and cyborgs. It genuinely might not be the same person. So the fact she does care about Clark as a friend she pokes and dance around each other but don’t so full out and ask him. It becomes more complicated as her feelings grow in a non friendship way.

Great point - she doesn’t even meet superman - she meets kal el and joins him on his journey- you instantly lose that office romance and the secret identity and the fun with that... even if she meets Clark Kent - knows him for a month before she actually meets Superman - that’s a whole month of him being under the radar, then we see the look in her eye when she starts to notice something subconsciously, then back at the planet she is in a daze and Clark walks by unnoticed. Then they are in a meeting and she hears Clark speak and instantly recognizes a slight twang or pitch.. looks up and has like a light bulb moment... and Clark gets hot under the colour as he sees that look in her eye... then we have fun with lois as she works it out and how she adapts to it juxtaposed to Clark trying to down play it...

I don't think most audiences would accept, let alone like, Superman trying to and continuing to fool the female lead he's supposedly falling in love with.

A month of that, maybe even a month before that, could work but would feel like a pretty odd timeframe to try to have in a two-hour film.

I think one of the only ways to make the disguise work and not have Lois look incompetent - even by accident - is to (temporarily) limit her interactions to either Clark or Superman. If rivalry in reporting and/or romance are what you're looking to capitalize on, I'd suggest having her interact heavily with a Clark who works at a different paper. If you want her directly involved in the action and are more concerned with laying groundwork, then let her know him first as Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"