The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

I think one of the only ways to make the disguise work and not have Lois look incompetent - even by accident - is to (temporarily) limit her interactions to either Clark or Superman. If rivalry in reporting and/or romance are what you're looking to capitalize on, I'd suggest having her interact heavily with a Clark who works at a different paper. If you want her directly involved in the action and are more concerned with laying groundwork, then let her know him first as Superman.
Exactly!!

Humanize Clark by having him fail to get a job at the Daily Planet and just ends up freelancing. Lois knows him by random encounters at reporting but not as a co-worker.

I agree that it'd be great to see Lois in a fresh take on screen. For a Superman reboot, I'm almost leaning towards including Lana in the first film as the primary love interest. Still include Lois in the story, but in an almost rival capacity akin to STAS. The two are constantly trying to get ahead for the story.

Set the story in Clark's early days in Metropolis, a la For All Seasons. When he's in trouble or scared, Clark goes home to Smallville for the comforts of home at Kent farm and to be with his childhood sweetheart, Lana Lang.

I'm thinking Zoey Deutch for Lois. Her character in Buffaloed had a lot of Lois-energy to me.

tumblr_237681963aa4e645c3799bc735970bc5_a71f2ef8_400.gif (1).gif

Last edited:
I don't think most audiences would accept, let alone like, Superman trying to and continuing to fool the female lead he's supposedly falling in love with.

A month of that, maybe even a month before that, could work but would feel like a pretty odd timeframe to try to have in a two-hour film.

where did anyone say Superman should be fooling his love interest?

Lois is a wonderful character, Clark falling in love with her from across the office/desk - with Lois too busy being his rival to have time for love, she barely even notices him, being so focused on work.
Then Superman appears, and lois makes a meeting happen and the roles are reversed... Kal el is hesitant, scared she will realize he is Clark from the office - but Lois is smitten, who wouldn't.. it's Superman.

Then, Lois back at the office notices clark, she recognizes that voice, tone.. and the penny drops, whilst clark neverously wonders what it means for him.

does Lois play along, call him out or chose not to believe it.

I think one of the only ways to make the disguise work and not have Lois look incompetent - even by accident - is to (temporarily) limit her interactions to either Clark or Superman. If rivalry in reporting and/or romance are what you're looking to capitalize on, I'd suggest having her interact heavily with a Clark who works at a different paper. If you want her directly involved in the action and are more concerned with laying groundwork, then let her know him first as Superman.

Someone gets it.

Have one or the other, when you blend the two, that's when the penny drops.

That's what I'd want in a Superman reboot, since it's uncharted territory on film. Keep Superman a mystery or urban legend that no one has taken a close photo of. And set up the Clark/Lois reporter rivalry dynamic. Focus on Lois' interactions with reporter CK as opposed to Supes.

Anyway, I've accepted that WB isn't going to get Superman right anytime soon, unless they really get a 'Kevin Feige' onboard who knows the material.

I remember the years of fans crying out for a proper version of 'Post-Crisis' Corporate Lex Luthor on film... and then they gave us this fool;
1489774526347.gif

I'm on a Lucifer binge right now. 2 things:

1. Tom Ellis could be Superman. Definitely tall enough & could pack on some decent muscle to his frame.

2. I'd go nuts for a Kingdom Come elseworlds standalone with Tom Welling.

Kj Apa - Superman/Clark
Jeff Bridges - Old Clark
Tom Hanks - Pa Kent
Rita Wilson - Ma Kent
Maya Hawk - Lana Lang
Jameela Jamil - Lois Lane

The next actor to play Superman will be an interesting one.

He doesn't have to look like Brandon, Chris or Cavill.

Zack Levi has set a solid bar. Levi doesn't have the traditional bulky, square-jawed look of Shazam (who is often depicted as even bigger than Superman at times), but like most of the MCU actors..Levi has the charisma and acting range to make the character work. They had him wear a bulky muscle suit and that seemed to be fine with audiences.

It really means that there are tons of actors that could play Clark/Superman. They have to cast for acting ability first this time. Someone who can really deliver an endearing performance that resonates with general audiences. Physicality can be handled by movie magic.

I still have David Corenswet at the top of my list. Give him a year or two more to really bloom. I think he could the next superman

The next actor to play Superman will be an interesting one.

He doesn't have to look like Brandon, Chris or Cavill.

Zack Levi has set a solid bar. Levi doesn't have the traditional bulky, square-jawed look of Shazam (who is often depicted as even bigger than Superman at times), but like most of the MCU actors..Levi has the charisma and acting range to make the character work. They had him wear a bulky muscle suit and that seemed to be fine with audiences.

It really means that there are tons of actors that could play Clark/Superman. They have to cast for acting ability first this time. Someone who can really deliver an endearing performance that resonates with general audiences. Physicality can be handled by movie magic.

That's an interesting and valid point. However, I do feel part of the movie magic is seeing a bigger guy, appear generic and blended in... the two roles.

The thing is, Levi worked out - but he did not need to. He wore an obvious muscle suit (which they all do) which to me, seemed pointless as he was never in any other costume/guise so it didn't matter. It looked too big.

Shannon as Zod, he wore a muscle suit, as did Crowe, but in much smaller amounts.

Yes, to me, moving forward, for superman, acting and performance means more than looks.. and yes a good costume and angles an actor can look amazing...

It seemed like Levi worked out mainly for the athletics required for the role, when not replaced with a stunt double.. like wirework and whatnot. He was still quite thin and is super skinny now (as seen on DC fandome), but the muscle suit covers it up.

Another example is Michael Shannon... who wore a padded muscle suit as Zod, and looked as big as the Superman actor in suit.

The only physical requirement for Superman is ideally being over 6 feet tall and being white (which will probably change someday).

I’m feeling a weird sort of gravitational pull toward the idea of Keira Knightley as Lois.

So much of her work is in costume dramas, I think this would be a fun change of pace.

People who have worked with her say she can be a nightmare to work with, very difficult, and unreasonable, to the point of delaying filming

You know...not saying he’s my top choice...and he looks more like Superman with the beard than without...but the idea of it being John Krasinski has grown on me.

You know that famous Titans quote? Swap out “Batman” for “Marvel.” :o

I heard some guy infamously said that at a Comic-Con panel.

He might just be frosty.

Having just finished watching "Hollywood" on Netflix, I can not see anyone else as Superman or Clark Kent then David Corenswet. He is charming, funny, the camera loves him, and he can actually act. After the failures of Welling, Cavill and Routh(who to be honest, was a great tv Superman) it would be nice to have an actor who can bring this hero to life. He looks the part almost better than anyone who has ever been cast, and his natural charisma and charm would be what the role so desperately needs, so sadly, of course, WB will screw it up by not casting him.

SUPERMAN
directed by Cary Fukunaga

Clark Kent/Superman: David Corenswet, 27
HOLLYWOOD_101_Unit_01217RC.jpg

Lana Lang: Margaret Qualley, 25
Lois Lane: Naomi Scott, 27
Jimmy Olsen: Justice Smith, 25

Morgan Edge: Ryan Gosling, 39
Rudy Jones / Parasite: Jake Johnson, 45
John Corben: Luke Hemsworth, 39

Jonathan Kent: Hugh Jackman, 51
Martha Kent: Sandra Oh, 49

Agent John Jones: Lance Reddick, 59

Perry White: Bob Odenkirk, 57
Det. Turpin: David Krumholtz, 42
Det. Sawyer: Dominique McElligott, 34
Dr. Emil Hamilton: Courtney B. Vance, 60
Cat Grant: Collette Wolfe, 40
John Henry Irons: Jay Ellis, 38
Bibbo Bibbowski: Frankie Faison, 72

Just had a thought for Perry White:

Sam Rockwell

Corenswet? He certainly has an interesting neck for the suit

david-corenswet-r352.jpg

I'm not that keen on WB going with an unknown again, while Batman gets a high-profiled actor like Rob Pattinson whos really built credibility in the industry.

Perhaps Superman needs something similar this time around, to give some credibility and serious acting chops to the character.

Reeve was lightning but WB really hasn't been able to recapture that with other unknowns playing Superman since then. Time for a different approach.

I don’t think I’d classify Cavill as an unknown prior to Superman. He definitely wasn’t A-list, but that’s not the same as being unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"