The MATRIX Appreciation Thread

These two essays are all you need when it comes to the sequels:

http://blogs.wylfing.net/coronas/the-matrix-reloaded-explained/

http://blogs.wylfing.net/coronas/the-matrix-revolutions-explained/

Seriously, these are THE best texts on the internet when it comes to "decoding" what the sequels were all about, bar none. Look no further. And they're a great, fun read too. You know this guy was on the right track when back in May 2003, he accurately predicted just about everything that would happen in Revolutions in his Reloaded essay while the rest of the world was going "wait what lol".

I seriously recommend these to anyone who's ever put any amount of deep thought into the Matrix movies. It will blow your mind.

I read those the other day. Very interesting, makes you really appreciate what the Wachowskis were going for.

^ Very cool to hear I Am The Knight. I've yet to witness anyone read those and walk away with a "meh, don't care" attitude.

Id like to discuss Zion for a bit.. From the information given in the film we know there have been 6 Zions that have been destroyed along with the resetting of the matrix and each time the one is given the opportunity to take so many men and women with him to restart and repopulate the new Zion.

Does this mean old and new The Ones crossed paths in Zion?

Also how did they ever begin building the machines and amazing tech that they have in Zion.

Each "One" was likely long dead by the time the new guy came along. Like... a whole bunch of generations. (I assume it's not the year 2199 like Morpheus and everyone believes, if there have been six huge human cities and populations built and destroyed).

As for the tech, who knows? Cobbled together from old gear and wreckage, re-purposed and built on over the generations... then destroyed by the machines and they start all over again.

Each "One" was likely long dead by the time the new guy came along. Like... a whole bunch of generations. (I assume it's not the year 2199 like Morpheus and everyone believes, if there have been six huge human cities and populations built and destroyed).

As for the tech, who knows? Cobbled together from old gear and wreckage, re-purposed and built on over the generations... then destroyed by the machines and they start all over again.

Are we to assume that Zion is built up to be as advanced as what we see or perhaps earlier incarnations of Zion were not as advanced?

I dont expect an official answer but i like speculating.

Are we to assume that Zion is built up to be as advanced as what we see or perhaps earlier incarnations of Zion were not as advanced?

I dont expect an official answer but i like speculating.

If we are going to speculate, for me, I think there is a difference of like 100 years between the Reloading of the Matrix and Zion and its eventual crash, so there's like three to four generations that will live before the next reloading process.

I mean Zion had a population of thousands at least. I'm sure it's possible to do the math and estimate a window of long it would take to repopulate it if your starting point is 16 females and 7 males, but I'm too lazy haha. Off the top of my head, I feel like it's possibly closer to two centuries than one. Either way, I definitely think the original One and 23 freed would be long dead by the time the cycle repeated.

Also, Zion was destroyed 5 times, not 6. What we see in the movies is the 6th attempt.

Last edited:
I hate to be redundant but did anyone here play The Matrix Online when it was alive and active? It had some really good plot lines that took place after the movies and I believe some of them were written by the filmmakers. I wouldn't mind they taking cues from those story arches for a new trilogy.

I mean Zion had a population of thousands at least. I'm sure it's possible to do the math and estimate a window of long it would take to repopulate it if your starting point is 16 females and 7 males, but I'm too lazy haha. Off the top of my head, I feel like it's possibly closer to two centuries than one. Either way, I definitely think the original One and 23 freed would be long dead by the time the cycle repeated.

Also, Zion was destroyed 5 times, not 6. What we see in the movies is the 6th attempt.

I wonder how powerful the previous ones came to be and how the chain of events went down that lead to the one making the choice to repopulate Zion

I don't think any of the previous One's had a specific love for someone (aka Trinity). That was obviously one of the big reasons for Neo doing all he did.

Not sure about power levels... the Merovingion seemed surprised/impressed by Neo eventually, and the Architect had that "Interesting. That was quicker than the others" line.

I can't remember anything else. Been too long.

Another question.. What is the history of the world within the matrix? At what date does the matrix get reset to? What is happening in the matrix when it is first turned back on after being reset?

The Neo and Trinity love story was incrediblely forced. Keanu and Carrie Ann Moss had little chemistry. In the first movie it seems like the love story comes out of no where. At the end of the movie Trinity says she loves Neo but the movie barely spends enough time with the two to show any sort of attraction. Also, the events of the first movie happen in what seems to be only a few weeks time. So Neo and Trinity completely fall for each other in like a couple of weeks of knowing each other?? That's weird... But I still love the movies ( even the sequels).

The Neo and Trinity love story was incrediblely forced. Keanu and Carrie Ann Moss had little chemistry. In the first movie it seems like the love story comes out of no where. At the end of the movie Trinity says she loves Neo but the movie barely spends enough time with the two to show any sort of attraction. Also, the events of the first movie happen in what seems to be only a few weeks time. So Neo and Trinity completely fall for each other in like a couple of weeks of knowing each other?? That's weird... But I still love the movies ( even the sequels).

I believe that the forced love story was intentional.

The one minor thing that always bugged me about the later films. In part 1 when they rescue Neo from the farm they remove all those implants the hoses were plugged into on his arms, back, etc leaving only the data port on the back of his neck. In the next film you see in the love scene that he has them all back on his body wtf?

sometimes I feel the first matrix film is almost like evil dead in the way that the sequels feel like a reboot of sorts due to bigger budgets. I wonder if the directors were to remake the first film it would still not be as good as the original. probably

Y'know, I caught a tiny bit of Reloaded and the second half of Revolutions on TV a month or two back and... I quite enjoyed them, particularly Revolutions! Might be time to give them another go.

I can't believe it's been 12 years since Reloaded and Revolutions. I remember anticipating those two films like crazy.

I can't believe it's been 12 years since Reloaded and Revolutions. I remember anticipating those two films like crazy.
The Hype was HUGE.

It was probably the first movie in my life I followed so closely on the internet. Kinda spoiled the movie for me a little bit as it was build it up so much. I still enjoy that first viewing though.

Rumours of Zero G fights, The Burly Brawl, "Photo-realistic CGI."

Joel Silver was hyping the production soooo much.

In an era where Marvel's vanilla film making is the prevalent blockbuster choice and a Pocahontas and A New Hope remakes make over 2 billion dollars, the original Matrix is still as fresh, unique and interesting, as it was when it first came out.

It's legacy has been going in the opposite direction of the Wachowski's career.

On TSPDT, a site dedicated to the most acclaimed films ever, the film has been climbing the Top 1000 for 8 straight years:

Not ranked →733 → 657 → 639 → 627 → 435 → 377 → 340 → 316

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

I was just thinking earlier about how green encryption symbol designs in art or movies or what have you will now be associated more with The Matrix than computers themselves. That's so odd to me.

Then this thread was trending. The Oracle must be predicting our behaviors.

The Matrix Fan Theory That Makes Agent Smith the True 'One'
Michael Nunez said:
The Matrix Trilogy is driven by the mystery of whether Neo, the film’s protagonist, is actually the savior of mankind. But here’s a crazy theory: What if Neo’s arch nemesis, Agent Smith, was actually “The One” this entire time.

In the last film’s climax, Neo sacrifices himself by returning to the source, thus destroying the virtual reality prison known as the Matrix. Supposedly, this fulfills the prophecy that would make him “The One.” Except all the clues that point to Neo point just as much, if not more, to Agent Smith.

It’s theory has been accepted by various Matrix fans for the last decade. It’s a little crazy, I’ll admit, but if there’s one thing that’s true about all of the Matrix movies—nothing is ever what it appears to be.

Ugh that theory is dumb and comes across like they never watched this final film. Neo and smith are essentially the same and need one another to exist. Or something along those lines anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"