Superman Returns The Official Comic-Con Thread!

Very excited for the sequel, and can't wait for the animated movie!

Steelsheen said:
i guess nobody was brave enough to tell it to his face that his reasoning is crap. :(

i often question myself, if i was at fan conventions like this, if i would be brave enough to ask the tough questions or say plain and straight what bothered the fandom. for matters i feel very strongly about, like whats happening to Superman, i think i would. the trick is how to pose the question/ comment graciously but with as much impact without coming off as a jerk. but the other side of me, the one that always thinks of the other party, what would the director/ writer feel if he was put on the spot in front of a lot of people? the last thing i want to do to anyone i talk to is to make them feel uncomfortable. you know what i mean?

i could only guess that those who didnt like the film sat this one out/ didnt make extra efforts of being at this year's Con.

I find that hard to believe.

i would of just asked him politely why he didn't use more color in the film...

Another con report.

From Wizard Entertainment:

[SDCC] SUPERMAN SEQUEL IN 2009?
Singer and Donner discuss the Superman films during Friday panel
By Mike Cotton

Posted July 21, 2006 9:30 PM

Bryan Singer began his segment of the Warner Bros panel at San Diego Comic-Con with a blooper reel of footage, but no one was laughing when the “Superman Returns” director announced he wants to get a sequel to his Man of Steel epic into theaters for 2009.

Although Singer admitted that he hasn’t signed a deal to return for a sequel, he promised “crazy, scary, sci-fi s--t in the next one.”

The director also addressed how much of the film was cut due to time restraints and whether or not any of that material would be featured in a “director’s cut” or “extended” DVD. Singer said he’s not a fan of adding material to DVD releases, but there might be a chance to show off a few scenes—such as Superman’s trip to Krypton, more of young Clark in Smallville discovering his powers and even some of Ma Kent’s romantic life—in the future.

“Superman: The Movie” director Richard Donner also joined Singer on stage and spoke about the upcoming release of a director’s cut of “Superman II,” which Donner originally directed at the same time as the first film, before being eventually let go.

According to Donner, the new cut of the sequel will feature a number of never-before-scene shots that weren’t used when Warner Bros. decided to bring in another director.

One fan asked if there were any plans to include Brainiac in an upcoming film, or if there had ever been plans to use the villain in either the Donner or Singer films.

While Singer offered a firm no comment, Donner teased that he was currently working on a project that would feature Brainiac but refused to tell fans whether that was a new film, television series, book or other media endeavor.

The original “Superman” director also offered his opinion of Singer’s film, which many see as an homage to the classic Donner film.

“I think Bryan’s vision was pure, honest and up to date,” said Donner to applause from the thousands of fans in attendance.
Source: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/supermanreturns/001044626.cfm

Was at Comic-Con today for a couple hours (the gaming company I work for has a booth there every year). Got some pictures that I can post when I get them developed (I unfortunately forgot my digital camera in my hotel room, so I had to buy a disposable). Got a few autographs, but not really of anyone Superman related. Bought some t-shirts and some other minor stuff.

All in all, was a pretty neat experience. Love the San Diego harbor!

Retroman said:
Another con report.

From Wizard Entertainment:

Source: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/supermanreturns/001044626.cfm
Nice report. You may agree or disagree with Singer´s take, but he was sincere with it. People here have made the most absurd insinuations, all I didn´t read was that he was hiding nazist subliminal messages in the movie (but now it´ll probably pop up in some post anyway...)

Steelsheen said:
which part?

That those who didn't like the film sat out the Con. If they're scared, they're scared.

I wonder if he'll focus more on that bastard child in the sequel, that's the question I'd like to know---what do he plan on doing with that Superboy. I am completely freakin' flabbergasted that no one mentioned the poor ass box office numbers, and why he (Singer) thinks it happened?:confused:

So, time for a recap.

New DC Projects in Development from SDCC

Films
The Doom Patrol - Based off the popular 80s DC comic.

Doompatrol.jpg

Deadman - being produced by Guillermo del Toro

deadman.jpg
Deadman.jpg

Untitled Superman Project/Sequel - Being developed by Bryan Singer; Action/Sci-fi Oriented featuring an Alien Menace as the antagonist.

supermanforeverdu1.png

The Spirit - Being written by Frank Miller. Based on the classic 1940s Masked Dectective that fought crime in the dark shadows of Central City.

SPIRIT1_t.jpg

Direct to DVD Animated Releases

As promised, WB/DC plans to pump out the direct to DVD animated releases this year with Bruce Timm now in change, overseeing all of the projects, they seem to be finally giving the fans what they want;

The New Frontier - Darwyn Cooke will work with Stan (JLU) Berkowitz on the film, with Cooke providing key art direction.

New-Frontier-poster.jpg

Superman/Doomsday: The Death of Superman - Directed by Bruce Timm.

superman.gif

Untitled Animated Justice League Film - Rumored to be a prequel to JLU, after "Starcrossed"

C97262.jpg

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract - Based on the popular comic. Written by Marv Wolfman. Tom DeStano (X-Men) will join Wolfman as co-writer and producer on the film.

newteentitans.jpg

Levitz also added that George Perez will be working on the animated Judas Contract as well.

He promised more animated versions soon to come in addition to these and Dan Didio said: the animation will be similar to the art in the comics, rather than working existing stories into currently existing animated styles for the DC animated properties.

Also Richard Donner and Geoff Johns have teamed up to work on Action Comics now, indefinately. Donner said he was espeically excitied to work on the character of Brainiac for some reason.

supermannewactioncomicstf9.png

The Sage said:
That those who didn't like the film sat out the Con. If they're scared, they're scared.
there's also the chance that there are those who wouldnt make as much effort of rearranging their work sched for a film that left them disgruntled. i know it happened to me. there was a time i was living in the San Jose area and the VFX head honcho for LOTR was holding a conference and it timed right on my day off. it was one quick bus ride away from me. it was so easy. but The Two Towers left me so disgruntled, i stayed home and just watched some DVDs.

see what i mean?

Visionary said:
I wonder if he'll focus more on that bastard child in the sequel, that's the question I'd like to know---what do he plan on doing with that Superboy. I am completely freakin' flabbergasted that no one mentioned the poor ass box office numbers, and why he (Singer) thinks it happened?:confused:

From AICN:
- Someone commented on the marketing of SUPERMAN RETURNS and how much it sucked. They pointed at SPIDER-MAN 3 and said they know how to market their movie. Singer just nodded his head and kept starting and stopping himself... and just said, "I'm not going to speak about the marketing." He was obviously not happy with it, but didn't want to step on too many toes. He did mention later that "a lot of people did their job... some didn't."
Source: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23943

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Singer showed up. I want my gift thing you're supposed to "make". :)

I didn't forget you Snake. I'm looking for some good ones:) :up:

Whens the New Frontier series coming? I already have one of the action figures. Looks very cool. :D

Oh, and.

YAY BRYAN IS DOING THE SEQUEL!

BrandonRouth.com is reporting that Routh showed up at the SDCC DC booth to sign some stuff and take pictures with the fans yesterday.

any of our local Hypesters there to see him?

he was there Saturday. i dunno if he was even supposed to be at the DC booth, but the fan who met him said he was at the Con mostly to support girlfriend Courtney's other indie sci-fi film "Outside" which was holding a screening and a short Q&A panel.

you can see the pictures she took and her story in this thread

am i the only one who thinks Courtney should've been cast as Lois instead?

Just got back from 4 days at Comic Con. I was there for the Bryan Singer panel, and I was telling all my friends who went with me that the reaction at the Super Hero Hype boards had been really negative, and If that was any indication, the Singer panel was gonna be a public lynching. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a lot of love in the room for the movie and for Bryan Singer's take on the Superman mythology. I have a feeling that Waner's will bring Singer back ( with certain safegaurds and a smaller budget ) But if his Wrath of Khan comment is any indication, then I really can't wait for Superman Returns Again or whatever they are gonna call it. If SR end up making $200 million ( or close to it ) by the end of it's run, then that means that a lot of tickets were sold...Warners has to be aware of that, and will budget accordingly the next time.

Lestat74 said:
Just got back from 4 days at Comic Con. I was there for the Bryan Singer panel, and I was telling all my friends who went with me that the reaction at the Super Hero Hype boards had been really negative, and If that was any indication, the Singer panel was gonna be a public lynching. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a lot of love in the room for the movie and for Bryan Singer's take on the Superman mythology. I have a feeling that Waner's will bring Singer back ( with certain safegaurds and a smaller budget ) But if his Wrath of Khan comment is any indication, then I really can't wait for Superman Returns Again or whatever they are gonna call it. If SR end up making $200 million ( or close to it ) by the end of it's run, then that means that a lot of tickets were sold...Warners has to be aware of that, and will budget accordingly the next time.
:) :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"