Superman Returns The Official Comic-Con Thread!

Id love to see singer and donner team up!

i think donner was there to help support singer.

skruloos said:
In my opinion, you need to see 2,3 and 4 as they are somewhat a trilogy. But I'd put my money on seeing Wrath of Khan (part 2), Undiscovered Country (part 6) and First Contact (part 8). They are the best of the best, IMHO.

Definitely agree with this. Generations was pretty good too.
The Motion Picture, Insurrection and Nemesis are dire!

OzzMosiz said:
Definitely agree with this. Generations was pretty good too.
The Motion Picture, Insurrection and Nemesis are dire!
The even numbered Trek movies were the best including First Contact(8)....IMO:up:

I'm not reading 20+ pages, so can anyone tell me if the fanboys *****ed and moaned or did they keep their mouths shut once they had to talk to Singer in person?:confused:

Triligors said:
It was more, Singer left Fox than Fox left Singer. Fox just didn't want to wait around, and that shows in the quality of X3. It was a very rushed film, and that is a common fact among comic fans. Heck, Fox almost had only a year schedule for the Wolverine project to go through pre, production, and post! Then that abrutly changes, personally I think a higher up at Fox stood up, finally, and said "no more rush jobs"- thank god.

EXACTLY. Singer had done the same thing in x-men 2 saying he wanted to take a break from the superhero franchise for one film (which never got past preproduction). I always got the impression that Singer believes he is too artsy to do superhero movies. THe x-men movies have absolutely nothing in common with the comics he claims to be basing it off of. People can tell easily and that seems to be why the spider - man franchise does so much better. Just in case any of you didn't know, the x-men had never been school teachers in the comics. It looked dumb in the movies adding it in and there was no reason to.

GarudA said:
Singer is one ****** he still wants to continue with the crap that has ruined the first movie, this guy will not stop, I bet we will see a scene where Superman and Lois and the Kid and Richard end up on Jerry Springer to talk about their problems.
It's a good thing YOU'RE not writing the sequel..........

Orko Is King said:
I'm not reading 20+ pages, so can anyone tell me if the fanboys *****ed and moaned or did they keep their mouths shut once they had to talk to Singer in person?:confused:
I don't think there was any booing. From what i've read, the majority of people in the crowd didn't give him a rough ride. He seemed to handle the questions well and he even got some applause. For reports on his Con appearance check the following links.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23943
http://www.bluetights.net/news.php?id=352
http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=4535
http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=4542

Another Con interview with Singer. This one is from Chud.com.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWLET: BRYAN SINGER (SUPERMAN RETURNS)
By Devin Faraci

I think Bryan Singer was very brave to come to Comic Con this year. Superman Returns is probably not going to get to 200 million dollars at the box office, let alone make back its production budget, and the fan response to the film has been mixed. Add to that the fact that the Comic Con crowd can be less than kind sometimes (although they seemed to be screening questions at Singer’s panel), I figured the guy might stay away. He did cut back his promised one on ones, however, and by the time I got to him I was given a whopping two and a half minutes. As a result I had to cut right to the chase…

Q: We’re living in a world today where Superman Returns can make 170+ million and still be underperforming because of the budget. Is the film’s box office a sign that we’re coming to a time when the budgets will have to be scaled back, when it’s becoming impossible for a movie to earn the kind of money needed to make it profitable?

Singer: The audience’s palate has increased so much that it costs more. When you talk about 170 million dollars, 200 million dollars, these amounts of money – you’d be surprised how down the road they tend to do OK. Studios don’t collapse. There are failures that are scary, where the studio spends 75 million dollars on a movie and 30 market and it’s almost straight to video. That can be dangerous.

The audience’s palate requires a certain amount of investment in digital effects, and digital effects are expensive because of the manpower and computers involved. So people are going to have to get more clever and creative in their storytelling. Stories have to hold up.

Q: You’ve made one of the most expensive movies of all time. I know you’ve said you’re looking at 2009 for a sequel, but in the meantime are you considering something small to recapture your roots?

Singer: Yeah. I did that a little with the show House, when I directed the pilot episode of the show House. Getting that show off the ground to me was very much a throwback to Usual Suspects days, but I would very much like to do a smaller film in between. Cathartically I need to do it. And I need to do one where I’m in more of a vacuum, where I can have more fun. With less pressure.

Q: And what about Logan’s Run?

Singer: We’re going to hold that one for a while.
Source: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=interviews&id=7203

I was there, and to me it seemed like the majority was on his side. No one booed him.

One person said, "I'm not an 'angry fanboy', but the Superman in the movie wasn't the same one in the comic".

He got a very few claps behind him, but just as many boos. (If not, more).

When Singer went ahead and explained himself. He got a substantial amount of applause.

In fact, he got a lot of support in almost everything he said.

Donner even asked the audience to give Singer a standing ovation and about 70% of the crowd did that. Even those who didn't actually stand up, still applauded.

Orko Is King said:

Another report:

"Superman" Sequel For 2009?
Posted: Monday July 24th 2006 3:10am
Source: Dark Horizons
Author: Garth Franklin

During the Warner Bros. presentation at this weekend's San Diego Comic Con, Directors Bryan Singer and Richard Donner came on stage to talk a bit about "Superman Returns" post release with the attendees in the same 6,000 seat hall that premiered the first footage from the film at last year's convention.

Most interesting tidbit was that Singer says a sequel is planned for 2009 and whilst he has no deal yet in place, he hopes to direct it. He also talked a bit about the tone, saying 'Returns' essentially laid the groundwork to re-introduce and establish the characters, and the second film would be able to involve much more crowd-pleasing style action with hint of an "alien terror".

The comment comes from Singer despite the film's disappointing box-office on both domestic and international fronts, and genuine mixed reaction from Con attendees. The film remained a hot topic throughout the weekend with fanboys and industry people getting into debates over its merits in both crowded auditoriums and big-budgeted industry parties.

The presentation's audience, who gave the man a standing ovation several times last year, were more tepid in their reaction this time around and whilst respectful to Singer with mostly positive questions and polite applause, there was a notable large cheer when one fan stated his disappointment with the film before asking his question.

Only one question touched upon the box-office performance and was essentially avoided, yet Singer remained in good humour and at one point joked that he wanted to thank everyone here... "at least those who saw it". Drawing far better reaction was a quite hilarious outtakes reel from the film with scenes like James Marsden spouting out some naughtier alternate titles for Lois Lane's news articles, Routh and Spacey flubbing their lines, and Parker Posey having a fun rant that "why does he keep saying cut, aren't we shooting in digital for f**k's sake".

Reaction was equally positive for a fun scene that was deleted from the second "Superman" film. Donner introduced the clip and talked a bit about his new cut which is due out for release with a 14-disc DVD set later this year.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060724g.php

Donner was there to ward off all the ill will toward this turd. What else did you expect Singer to say while this POS was still in the theaters?? Seriously go watch your Van Helsing sequel and let me know how it turns out.

WTFwuzThT said:
Donner was there to ward off all the ill will toward this turd. What else did you expect Singer to say while this POS was still in the theaters?? Seriously go watch your Van Helsing sequel and let me know how it turns out.

Donner was there to pitch his cut of Superman 2.

More pics from Comic-Con

199017669_f03d1b4d4d.jpg
197668804_d1489a34e8.jpg

199017721_336738ffb7.jpg

199142559_87c8bc604e.jpg

199142816_ac288a7dbf.jpg

199143155_e686456876.jpg

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nplove/sets/72157594212966181/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristinvancuyck/197668804/

Retroman said:
Singer poses with a fan. Man with the chain in the second pic is producer Chris Lee.

199027532_d3c6d6d3fd.jpg

199027539_2445f4aa8a.jpg

198375413_5a66150425.jpg

199240246_c48048ef98.jpg

199240132_867fb81312.jpg

197054936_b7a0e8780c.jpg

/quote]

Seeing these pictures & the Domestic Box Office numbers has me thinking
WTF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"